Chapter 2

What a Woman!

Bomi awakes for her first day of classes to see black locks splayed across her pillow cases. She her lips as she recalls memories from the night before. Chuckling to herself, she silently slides out of bed so as not to wake its occupant. Grabbing her toothbrush and a wash cloth she silently creeps to the bathroom, grateful that Hayoung spent the night at Naeun's.

"Morning, ."

…Or so she thought.

"Shut up," she whispers harshly, making no attempt to cover her form as she walks to the bathroom. She brushes her teeth before letting the hot water of the shower wash over her aching muscles. Volleyball practice was still intense and her little romp in the sack last night didn't help matters.

She walks back into her room to notice her companion is gone. Shrugging it off, she gets dressed before meeting Hayoung in the kitchen.

"You sure do have a type," Hayoung comments as she flips a pancake in the pan she's holding.

"What are you talking about?" Bomi asks around a yawn as she stretches languidly, hands reaching for the ceiling.

"Studious, black hair, around your height. Your type of girl." she replies, ticking off her fingers one by one as she names the qualities. "You only almost veered from those characteristics one time and that was when you, me, and Naeunnie almost had that ."

"You two would have been my first blondes," Bomi says reverently to piss Hayoung off. It works as she narrowly misses being wacked upside the head. "What?" she shrugs with a laugh. "You were the one who suggested it."

"We were drunk!" Hayoung exclaims in self-defence. "Everything sounds better when you're drunk!"

Bomi shrugs as she reaches on top of the refrigerator to retrieve a box of cereal. "All I know is that I'm never having with either one of you separately or together. I've accidently walked in on you two more times than I care to say and some of the things the two of you do…" she trails off, shuddering at the memory. "It's not human."

"Sure, Bomi. You 'accidently' walked in on us five times."

"Put a sign on your door or something!"

"Or maybe you could try this radical idea of knocking!"

"I'm not arguing with you this early," she says as she takes her bowl of cereal into the living room. She grabs the remote and then starts flipping through channels.

"Wrong, Bomi-ah," Hayoung calls from behind her in the kitchen. "We're about to start arguing again because I want to get my morning cartoons on!"


 

Bomi takes one last look at her schedule before looking up at the classroom number. Room 326. This is definitely the one. She walks into her business class and is met with a couple of smiles and a few indifferent glances from upper classmen. She shrugs it off, but one exaggerated eye roll catches her attention.

She makes a bee line for a familiar pair of dark eyes and fair skin, sitting right beside the girl.

"Hi, anonymous," she greets warmly, taking the girl by surprise at her tone. "Fancy meeting you again."

"What are you doing here?" she asks. "This is a three hundred level course. And no offense to you but I don't think you belong here."

"None taken," she replies easily. "And I actually do belong. I took the hundred level course at a community college my senior year in high school." She smiles smugly at the obvious surprise swirling in the pair of dark eyes staring back at her. "Took two hundred level last year, and here I am this year. Business is my major."

"I see." she replies quietly before facing forward.

Bomi frowns. She didn't expect the conversation to end so quickly. And she doesn't know why but she's kind of disappointed.

"So…" she drawls, "Can I get your name, anonymous?"

Bomi watches a small, teasing smile grace those full, pink lips and she unconsciously her own. "No. I don't believe you can."

"Now you're just being annoying," she says with a frown.

The girl's eyes shine with mirth as she turns back to the brunette. "Gee Bomi-sshi, you sure know how to talk to a girl." she comments. She eyes the professor as he finally walks in, sighing in relief.

"Oh baby, of course I know how to talk to a girl," she says, voice instantly sultry as she reflexively flirts with the older girl beside her.

"Don't call me baby," she snaps back with a scowl before turning to face forward once more. Bomi winces, both at her scathing tone and her own flirting. Sometimes she really does go too far. She blames it on her roommate. Being friends with Hayoung since middle school has caused the blonde to rub off on her. Bomi never noticed it in high school because she was kept under the strict thumb of her parents. She didn't even think about or relationships that much. She wasn't even aware that she was attracted to women, or at least wasn't ready to admit it, until Hayoung stepped in and offered what she called her 'assistance'. So when she came to college and was surrounded by nothing but and alcohol, and not only women, but women that seemed to have no qualms about being with other women, she was instantly entranced. She never let her grades suffer and, to everyone outside of Hayoung and Naeun, she was the perfect angel that made the perfect grades. But in her free time, she did manage to chase a skirt or two.

"I'm sorry," she mutters. "I didn't mean to flirt with you."

She receives a curt nod in return and that's the last time the girl pays her any attention for the entire class.

Bomi lets her be and instead focuses on taking notes written on the board. Truth be told, she finds all of her business classes really interesting. Something about owning her own business one day speaks to Bomi.

Her eyes stray from the board to Anonymous' –she snorts. That girl sure does know how to annoy her– notebook as the girl quickly scribbles her notes down, dark, focused eyes darting from the board to her own paper and never once veering off course. Bomi smiles a little at how stiff the girl's posture is in her seat, back completely erect and head held high. Her lips are pressed firmly together, only parting to give Bomi a glimpse of her pink tongue barely poking out. Bomi's eyes soften with mirth as she takes in the girl's concentrated face. She passes a fleeting glance over her neatly written notes before returning back to her own, brows furrowing as she silently judges her own hand writing.

"Alright, that's it for the day," the professor says as he dismisses the class. "Next time we actually get to crack open those hundred dollar books you all bought," he jokes.

The girl quickly gathers her things to make a hasty exit but Bomi's hand grips her wrist lightly. "Wait," she says quietly.

Deep, brown eyes stare at their point of contact before meeting Bomi's eyes. "Is there something I can do for you, Bomi-sshi?"

Bomi uses her unoccupied hand to grab her bag and sling it over her shoulder, taking a step closer to the enigmatic girl. "If you won't tell me your name, will you at least tell me your major? I think it's only fair considering you know my name, the building I live in, and my major by now and I know nothing about you."

"Why do you care?" the girl asks carefully and the question catches Bomi off guard.

"I don't know," she replies honestly.

The girl bites her lip in contemplation as she continues to stare at Bomi. She pulls her hand back and turns to walk away. "Theatre," she calls over her shoulder. "With a concentration in acting."

Bomi follows her to the door, nearly running into the girl as she turns around. "And my name is Chorong. Park Chorong."

A huge smile graces Bomi's features as she extends her hand. "Can I walk you to class, Chorong-sshi?" she asks, rolling the girl's name around her tongue, tasting it.

Chorong studies her carefully, eyes narrowing briefly. "This is a far cry from how rude you were the first time I met you."

She shrugs. "I can be nice."

"I suppose. Regardless, you walking me to class won't be necessary Bomi-sshi, but I very much appreciate the offer." She's out of the door and down the hall in a flash, leaving Bomi feeling just as confused and annoyed as she was during their first encounter.


"She totally ditched your sorry ," Hayoung exclaims with a boisterous laugh, accepting the fry Naeun feeds her. "She high tailed it outta there. I bet she was all, who's this crazy stalking me?"

Bomi pinches the bridge of her nose sharply to thwart the building migraine she feels coming on. Hayoung's been laughing at her for the past five minutes. "Shut up, Hayoung-ah."

"It's probs because she's a third year," Hayoung continues. "Can't be seen by the likes of you. You'd cramp her style."

"Thanks for the support," she says wryly.

Her laughter dies down when Naeun whispers something in her ear. Hanging her head, she apologizes to Bomi. But the damage is already done. Bomi's face is flaming as she stares at the food on her plate, suddenly losing her appetite.

"Do you really think she thought that?"

"Of course not, Bomi," Naeun says reassuringly. "Hayoung was just being mean, I'm sure it wasn't like that at all."

Bomi nods, swallowing thickly. "Then why'd she blow me off like that?"

"Oh, for s sake, it up, Bomi! She's the first woman since ever to turn you down. Why are you so worried about her? Where's Taeyeon?" she replies distractedly, eyes scanning the cafeteria for the raven-haired in question, trying to take Bomi's mind off the whole situation.

"You're right. Forget it," Bomi says resolutely. "I was just being foolish. She doesn't matter."

"Everyone come out to audition for the play! Tiring Tryst of Love everyone come out to audition!"

"What do you want?" Taejoon sneers as a small boy with glasses approaches the jocks with an arm full of fliers.

"Greetings Choi Taejoon-sshi," the boy replies, voice trembling with fear as he readjusts his glasses. "I'm simply here to pass out fliers for the play that we're putting on. Our resident most talented actress Park Chorong has agreed to star in the play and we're looking for another female lead to play opposite her, as well as an understudy."

Bomi perks up at Chorong's name and she turns her head to where the boy is. She slides out of her seat gracefully before walking over to him. "Can I have one of those?"

"S-sure," he stutters out before handing her a copy. "Yoon Bomi-sshi, I think that you would be lovely for the part. I've always loved an attractive brunette and raven pairing and the love making scene between you and Chorong would be enough to make me arrive early if you know what I mean."

Bomi makes a disgusted face before telling the boy to get lost, glancing down at the flier in her hand with Chorong's face on it. Hayoung and Naeun are by her side in seconds, peering down at the flier.

"She's hot."

"Totally."

Bomi smiles before sitting back down at the table. "So you're going to really do this play?"

She bobs her head up and down. "If they'll have me. I mean, the chances of me getting the part are definitely slim, but I was thinking that playing my hand in theater will help balance the fact that I'm lumped in the 'jerk jock' category." She jerks her thumb backwards to emphasize her point as two of the guys engage in an arm wrestle, her volleyball squad on stand by making airy comments.

"Please," Hayoung scoffs. "You're just doing this to get into that Chorong girl's pants."

She smirks easily at having been caught. "I wouldn't be opposed to the idea."

"Stalker."

Bomi frowns.


Chorong huffs quietly as yet another girl is sent from the stage by the director of the play. She eyes the woman wearily. She's always loved and hated being casted first in a play. Being casted first is, well, being casted…first. It was exhilarating for her to know that she had made such an impression on a director that she was the first person to get the call to join a cast. But being casted first also meant having to read your lines over and over again.

"We'll find her, Chorong," the director, Miss Soonkyu, says reassuringly. "You just have to be patient."

Chorong nods, her eyes finding the floor as she tries to expel the exhaustion from her body. They'd been at this for hours. She's been on her feet for hours. Hell, she's been cranky for weeks.

Being in this play has been exceptionally tiring for the girl because she's been trying desperately to find someone to play opposite her. She's scouted for talent in the senior dorms, all the way to the freshman dorms and all she's managed to do is meet an annoying brunette that won't seem to leave her alone.

"Next," Miss Soonkyu calls from her seat in front of the stage.

Chorong turns to the door to see a girl walk in. Her lip presses into a firm line as she takes in the girl's brunette bangs, determined eyes, and…was she smirking? Chorong rolls her eyes before she walks back over to her mark.

"Hello," Miss Soonkyu says with a wide smile, extending her hand. "I'm Lee Soonkyu."

"Yoon Bomi," Chorong hears the girl reply confidently. "I'm here to audition for the roll of Taeri."

"Do you have a script already, Bomi-sshi?"

"Umm…no," she falters, hearing Chorong scoff behind her. "I was just given a paper from a kid saying that anyone could try out."

Miss Soonkyu nods before reaching into a box under the table. "Here you go." She hands her the script. "You'll be playing opposite Chorong. Do you have any experience in theatre?"

"Not really."

"Uh, okay," the woman draws out. "How about you hop up on stage and just show us what you got?"

"Sure thing."

She walks onto the stage to stand directly in front of Chorong, smirking a little. "Bet you didn't plan on seeing me twice in one day."

"I'm utterly thrilled," Chorong replies sarcastically.

"Anytime you're ready girls," Miss Soonkyu cuts in.

She watches as Chorong closes her eyes and sighs deeply. When she looks back at Bomi again there's so much love and adoration shining in her eyes that Bomi would swear it was real.

"Say it again," Chorong says, giggling quietly as she takes a step closer to Bomi and grabs the brunette’s hands. "I wanna hear you say it," she whispers.

Bomi glances briefly at the script for direction before meeting Chorong's eyes. She loosens her hold on Chorong's hand to draw it up her arm, noticing how the older girl shivers slightly. She tucks her hair behind her ear and cups her cheek before leaning closer. "I love you," she whispers.

"Again," Chorong breathes against her lips.

Bomi swallows thickly, a lump suddenly forming in . "I love you so much, Minhee."

They stay like that for a moment longer, Chorong's head tilting as she studies Bomi silently.

"Alright cut!" Miss Soonkyu replies as she leans back in her seat. "Well I'd definitely say that the two of you have chemistry. That's half the battle," she sighs. "Now we have to see if you guys have enough stage presence as a duo to carry a scene together. But I think we should save that and we'll pick it back up in a couple of days when we rehearse again."

"What?" Chorong questions. "But Miss Soonkyu, are we really going to wait until days later to try out another scene?"

"Chorong, you're tired. And more than a little cranky," she replies, exhaustion in her own voice. "I'd honestly hate to push you any further. We have a great possibility on our hands with Bomi; can we just leave it at that for a few days? Let it marinate. We've been waiting for this break for a month now and we finally have it. Let's count it as a small victory for now."

Bomi stands idly by, feeling awkward at being talked about as if she isn't there. She feels like she's watching an argument between a mother and her bossy daughter. "I think Miss Soonkyu is right," she pipes up to take some of the heat off the woman. "What's a few more days?"

Chorong stands there, glaring at them both.


It's eight at night by the time Bomi makes it back to her dorm. She drags her feet, thinking about her homework and the English test she has to study for. She has a long night ahead of her and she just hopes that either Naeun's not at hers and Hayoung's apartment, or that Hayoung went to spend the night over at Naeun's because the two of them together are…loud.

She walks into her building and catches sight of Joohyun, offering her a small wave.

"Wanna come over tonight?" the black-haired girl asks impishly and Bomi already knows what would be in store for her if she actually says yes.

"Not tonight," she says instead. "I have a lot of homework, a test to study for, and a script I have to memorize for this play."

"A play?" Joohyun asks incredulously. "Since when are you an actor, Bomi-ah? Leave the theatre for the geeks and come in my room for some fun tonight."

The geek comment hits a nerve that Bomi never knew she had. "Since when is theatre for the geeks?" she asks coldly. "Is acting just as nerdy when you're watching Lee Minho or Lee Byunghun take their shirts off for a love scene? Hmm?" She doesn't know where this sudden burst of anger is coming from considering a few weeks ago, hell a few days ago she probably would have laughed about the joke with Joohyun and joined her in her room for the night.

"Hey, I didn't mean anything by it," Joohyun says gently. She grabs Bomi's hand, her fingertips. "Come on. I'm sorry. Lemme make it up to you."

Her fingers slip through Joohyun’s hand as she looks the girl in the eye. "Honestly Baechu, I just want some alone time tonight. I'm tired, it's been a long day, and I just want some solitude."

"Okay." She nods her head a little dejectedly. "Some other time, then?"

"Sure," she replies noncommittally with a crooked smile before walking up the stairs to her own room.

She turns on the light at her desk and slumps in her seat, dragging her book from her bag. Flipping through the pages, she tries her hardest to concentrate but keeps thinking about that girl.

"Park Chorong," she says quietly, smiling around the syllables.

Knowing that her homework isn't due for another day and opting to do it later when she has a clear mind, she rummages through her bag for the script of the play. Her eyes scan the pages as she reads Taeri’s lines.

"Don't you see that I love you? I wanna make this work, I really do but what if it can't?"

She continues reading, catching the gist of the play. Taeri and Minhee, who have been best friends since grade school and lovers since the tenth grade, are forced on two different paths as they journey to receive higher education at two different colleges on different cities. The play chronicles their ups and downs and inevitable break up.

And, Bomi notices with an arched eyebrow, there's a love scene. Suddenly what that kid said makes sense. It's very detailed in Bomi's opinion. There isn't much shedding of clothes, however, she does get to touch Chorong's , she notices with a smirk.

Sighing quietly, she closes the script and hops into bed, idly wondering for the first time what Chorong's doing.