Chapter 4

Out For Spring Break

Taehyung

A date. An honest-to-god date.

A date with a man.

Taehyung was both anxious and excited. He looked over his shoulder and checked the time on the digital clock on his bedside table. It was half-past six. Almost time. Was he ready?

He turned back to look in the mirror secured to the back of the room's door. He looked nice enough. Ewon seemed to be the kind of guy who appreciated a refined look. He wasn't exactly formal, but he was put-together. Taehyung wanted to make an impression. He smoothed down the front of his shirt and wondered if he should pair it with a tie. It wasn't like the on-board restaurant they were going to was particularly fancy, and he was sure there would be plenty of people there in t-shirts and jeans, but Taehyung didn't mind sticking out. Not here. Not for someone as exciting as Ewon.

He hadn't expected to find someone he clicked with so easily, but from the moment the door to the stairs had swung open and smacked Taehyung pretty much straight in the face, he'd been smitten. There was something easygoing, yet mature about Ewon. He wasn't particularly old, and Taehyung didn't get the impression that they were from vastly different walks of life, but Ewon felt unique. Taehyung didn't really know what that meant, not yet, but he hoped that when they wined and dined tonight, he could find out a little more.

He ran his fingers through his brown hair to make sure it didn't look overly coiffed, then shook his head like a dog and tried shaping it all over again. Messy was better, he decided. It made the button-down shirt he wore look a little more formal in contrast. No tie necessary.

Was he supposed to show up early? He scowled at himself in the mirror, then lifted his jaw to make sure his stubble wasn't unruly in the hardest to see areas. He ran his fingertips over the short hair, seeking out any inconsistencies. When he found none, he shook his shoulders out and stretched to one side, then the other, trying to work out some of his nerves. He didn't know what to expect from tonight. What would Ewon think? Would he bail? What if it went well?

Taehyung closed his eyes, then rubbed at them. One step at a time. What sense was there in worrying about something that hadn't even happened yet? He didn't think that Ewon would come back to his room with him...or if he even wanted that to begin with. He'd been with women before, but men were uncharted territory, and he didn't want to rush things. He had a week to get comfortable with the idea of bringing a man back to his room. He didn't need to jump at the first chance he got...even if that chance was perfection on legs. 

How much time was left? Taehyung's heart skipped a beat from fear, and he glanced toward the digital clock. Only five minutes had gone by. He wasn't late, and he still had plenty of time to get to dinner. He let out a sigh and shook his head, heading for the bathroom. With the tiny room's bright lights, he was able to see himself even more clearly in the mirror. He looked good - maybe better than he had for the last few dates he'd been on.

He took one last look, then moved to the toilet, ped, and emptied his bladder. As nervous as he was about his date with Ewon, the less uncomfortable he felt, the better. Smooth appearance, empty bladder, and a game plan, he knew he was ready.

He could do this. Tonight, he'd set himself free.

 

svgimg0001.svg  svgimg0001.svg  svgimg0001.svg  (I start to like this new discovery of mine ;p)

 

Taehyung watched as Ewon approached the dinner table. They were set up in a quieter side of the restaurant, which Taehyung had originally objected to, since it didn't have a clear view of the stage at the far end, but that he was appreciative of now. The second he laid eyes on Ewon, he knew that he never would have been able to pay attention to the show, anyway. Ewon made his heart skip just by existing, and to pry his eyes away from him felt like a crime. 

"Hey." Ewon said as he sat himself at the table. The host who'd guided him there had already parted from his side, leaving them their privacy "You look really nice. You didn't have to dress up for me, you know."

"I know, but I wanted to." Taehyung smiled, and he was delighted when Ewon smiled back. He didn't understand why such a simply gesture filled him with so much glee, but he loved it "You looked great when I met you back in the hall, and I knew you'd look great tonight, too. I didn't want to be the odd man out."

Ewon looked pleased. He folded his arms on his lap and looked Taehyung over. Taehyung was acutely aware of his gaze - how long it lingered, and where it was lingering. Ewon was obviously interested in him, and he'd be lying if he said the feeling wasn't mutual "You're sweet."

"I'm truthful. Sometimes I'm really dense."

"I don't know."

"You will if you stick around." Taehyung laughed "But, thank you. I meant what I said. You look fantastic tonight."

"Thanks." was that a hint of pink in Ewon's cheeks? The dim lighting made it hard to tell, but Taehyung liked to think that it was. His confidence swelled, and he allowed himself to look Ewon over a little more closely, just like Ewon was doing to him. It was no secret that they were into each other, so Taehyung didn't think that he had anything to be ashamed about. 

Ewon was slender. He wasn't exactly delicate, but he wasn't overly muscular, either. That suited Taehyung just fine. There was something about smaller guys that made him hard, and Ewon fit the bill. Ewon's hair was a little longer than his own, and it was carefully styled and groomed in a way that complemented his young face. His dark blue eyes were alluring. Taehyung couldn't get enough of them.

"Did you see anything on the menu that looked promising?" Ewon asked. He slid one of the menus across the table to look it over "I'm not sure what I'm feeling like tonight."

"The chicken Parmesan looked good." Taehyung hadn't had much time to look at the menu before Ewon had arrived, but he wanted to be helpful "I overheard a conversation on the way in that the steak is excellent, too, if you're a red meat kind of guy."

"I am so a red meat kind of guy." Ewon grinned "Steak it is. Important question: how do you take yours?"

"Rare or medium-rare."

"Good. If you'd said well-done, I might have had to leave." Ewon's grin grew just a touch more playful "Looks like we're going to get along just fine."

"You didn't already know that?" Taehyung saw his chance. He the charm "I got that feeling from the conversation we had in the hall alone. It's easy talking to you." 

Tyler rejoiced when he noticed the color in Jay’s cheeks darken. It wasn't just the lighting.

Score.

The waiter came to take their orders before Ewon could respond. All the while, Ewon kept glancing in Taehyung's direction, and every time he did, Taehyung felt a new sense of pride and accomplishment. He'd gone into dinner worried that he wouldn't be enough, or that something would go wrong, but all signs pointed to the fact that the date was going well.

The waiter left. Ewon looked back at Taehyung again, in full this time "Kind of ty of them to stick us in a corner where we can't see the show, isn't it?"

"I guess so." Tyler shrugged "I'll admit, I was bummed when I was brought to the table and told that there wasn't any other free seating...but since you arrived, I haven't been so down about it. I don't think I would have paid much attention to the show, anyway."

"You're just saying that."

"I may not be able to convince you that it's true, but I can promise you that I'm not pulling your leg." honesty was the best policy. Taehyung didn't think he had to hold back with Ewon. The more transparent he was about his feelings, the better. He didn't want to come across as aloof or unappreciative of Ewon's company "I'm glad you asked me here."

"I am, too." the look in Ewon's eyes wasn't lust. Lust wasn't so pretty, or so delicate. Taehyung's heart skipped a beat, and he felt a change in the air between them. Their startling chemistry was back, and it swept through him and wrapped him up in its existence. He shivered "I came on this cruise not really knowing what to expect...but so far, I'm having a really good time. Thank you for making my first experience so memorable."

"I feel the exact same way."

In that moment, it didn't matter that they were surrounded by other dining couples, or that their table was out of the way and in an inconvenient location, or that Taehyung didn't know much more about Ewon than his name. All that mattered was the moment they shared, and the way he felt. He wasn't sure if Ewon felt it, too, but judging by the look on his face, Taehyung didn't think it was beyond reason to believe the feeling was mutual.

"I was thinking." Ewon said softly "I mean, I know there are a lot of activities going on tonight, but..."

"Yeah?" Taehyung perked up.

"Well, do you want to-"

"Excuse me, gentlemen." the waiter had returned with their drinks. Ewon's shoulders sagged, and to Taehyung, it looked like he lost steam. He smiled for the waiter, but in his eyes, Taehyung thought he saw worry or fear "Dinner will be another few minutes." 

"Take your time." Ewon encouraged "Thank you."

The waiter was gone again, and Ewon wasted no time in picking up his drink - a glass of red wine. He sipped at it, watching Taehyung over the rim of his glass. Taehyung watched him in return.

"What was it you were going to ask me?" Taehyung asked.

Ewon swallowed. He set his glass down, then hesitated. His gaze fell, and Taehyung thought that he'd likely never go through with what he intended to say "I don't know if it's a good idea to ask it. I'll hold out until later."

"No, it's fine." Taehyung smiled "I'm not here to judge you. If it's weird, or personally invasive, or if it's just something you think I'd take negatively, I'll let you know if I feel offended or not. I won't hold it against you. We're on vacation, and we're supposed to be having fun. If there's something on your mind, go ahead and ask. I promise, I won't think any less of you for asking."

Ewon chewed on his bottom lip. Taehyung thought it was way too cute. When he looked shy like this, it made Taehyung want to step in and protect him. He really did want to hear what was on Ewon's mind.

"Would it help if I told you something really embarrassing first, to break the ice?" Taehyung asked. He leaned forward, elbows on the table so he could speak at a lower volume "I could tell you about the time that I got pantsed in front of the entire cheerleading squad." 

Ewon raised an eyebrow "That sounds like the start of a o movie. Are you sure you aren't thinking about a story from one of your subscription sites?"

"No." Taehyung laughed. Talking with Ewon was way easier than it should have been. They were still mostly strangers, but they got along fabulously. Taehyung had some friends back home who he didn't get along with half as well "I swear to God, it happened. It was senior year. I was on the football team."

"You were a quarterback, naturally."

"I was actually a cornerback."

"I have no idea what that is."

Taehyung chuckled "Yeah, it's okay. I don't expect you to. The point of the story isn't related to the position I played...it happened after a game. We'd just won against our big rival school, and the guys on the team were hyped. Did you ever go to any of the games at your school?"

"Nope."

"Well, if you're in the game, it's a big deal. You're pumped full of adrenaline, and it feels like you can fly...like nothing is impossible, and you're on top of the world. Looking back, it seems dumb. It was just a high school game, after all...but in the moment? It's this crazy feeling like everything in the world is right, and nothing will ever go wrong again. So imagine my surprise when, while the cheerleaders are all clustered around us, I'm suddenly cold below the belt."

"Oh my God."

"And then the giggling started, and giggling turned into laughing, and from there...well...I had an interesting senior year." Taehyung laughed at the memory "So, just know that you have nothing to be embarrassed about, okay? I'll bare it all for you."

"I was hoping that you might." Ewon said softly. The softness in his eyes was made heavier by sudden desire "What I wanted to ask before? It was if you wanted to go back to my room after dinner's done. I know that it's early to ask, but it felt right, and I wanted to go for it. I understand if you want to say no."

"Yes."

"What?" Ewon blinked.

"Yes, I want to come back with you." arousal swelled inside Taehyung, and he wondered if it was too late to cancel dinner. Who needed to eat, anyway? The connection he felt to Ewon hadn't been a one-time deal. It was back in full force, and it was just as strong as ever. His heart already knew what it wanted. Why would he deny it? "I'd go right now, if you wanted. Who needs steak, anyway?"

"You'll probably want to eat something." Ewon said with a simple shrug. 

"Why is that?"

"Because when we get back to my room, I'm going to make you work up an appetite."

Steak couldn't come fast enough.