Chapter Nine

The Prince and I
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It had taken a lot of arguing to get my security detail to stay in the car. Ji Soo had insisted on standing at the door, but I finally convinced her she would get frostbite if she did. I used my key to let myself in and sighed in relief. It was nice to be back in my childhood home.

 

“I’m in here.” Dad’s voice drifted over the sound of the television in the living room. The smell of lasagna meant he was in the kitchen.

 

“Hey.” I hung my coat on the back of the chair and smiled at So Ra. She gave me a hug and then held me out at arm’s length.

 

“Girl, what on Earth have you been up to?” Apparently she had been watching the news.

 

“It’s a really long story.” I shook my head.

 

“A really crazy one, I’d guess.” She narrowed her eyes at me and lifted my chin. She tsked under her breath and gave me a knowing smile and wink. “You’re all flushed.”

 

“It’s minus ten outside. Of course I’m flushed.” I tried to not grimace when she laughed.

 

“That’s not the same kind of flushed.” She lowered her voice. “I bet it has something to do with that gorgeous man I saw you on the cameras with.”

 

“What?”

 

“There’s video of you walking around on campus laughing with that prince. He’s a good-looking guy. I’d let him get me all flushed, too.”

 

“I’ll let him know you’re interested.” I laughed as I walked past her and into the kitchen. I threw my arms around Dad’s neck and pressed my face against his shoulder.

 

“Don’t make me spill this!” He was trying to transfer the lasagna from the dish onto plates. I had learned with my mom you never took time for granted, so hugged my dad as often as possible.

 

“I’m gone, you old fart!” So Ra hollered from the living room.

 

“Get out of here, woman!” Dad yelled back. I could hear her laughing even after the door closed behind her. I knew for a fact that even though they enjoyed pestering each other they were the best of friends.

 

“So, I thought you had a headache today.” I carried our plates to the table and then went to get glasses out.

 

“I did, but feel a bit better tonight. I figured you might need your favorite dinner after I saw you on TV.” He smiled at me as he brought the milk carton to the table. “Lasagna is always good for dinners where there’s stuff to discuss.”

 

“Did you know?” I sat down and looked at him. “Did Mom tell you?”

 

“I think you’re going to have to start at the beginning.” He passed me a piece of bread. “All I know is I woke up today to seeing you on the news and had voicemail from several news stations.”

 

“Oh, Dad, I’m so sorry.” I sighed and poked at my food. “I should’ve asked them to send someone over for you.”

 

“Who to send who over?”

 

“Mom was from a royal family. I don’t know if she knew or not, but I sure didn’t. But they gave me a detail to keep the press away and I should have asked them to send someone over here for you too. I mean, the duchess that came to tell me about my family assigned a detail.”

 

“Huh.” We ate in silence for a few minutes, each of us working through things in our heads. “I don’t guess they’re going to bother me too much, since I’m just your stepfather.”

 

“You’re not just my stepfather. You’re my dad.” I knew he would understand the differentiation.

 

“I know, but that probably makes a difference to the people wanting to ask questions.”

 

“Did she know?”

 

“Your mom was always a mystery, Mo Yeon. That’s one of the things I loved about her. She was brilliant, funny, and the most loving woman. But I knew there were things about her I would never learn.” He smiled at me, his love for her still as alive as ever. “She never told me she was from a royal line, but I know she placed a great deal of emphasis on family. I suppose that could mean something.”

 

“I have this folder full of birth certificates and a family tree. Of ship itineraries and land deeds.” I frowned. “And it all leads back to Duke Kang of Urk.”

 

“Why did they hunt you down?” Dad had always been practical. It was probably why he had done so well in the military. “Seems like a lot of work just to tell you your great-great-great-grandfather used to own some land.”

 

“They want to reinstate my title.” I bit into my bread and chewed thoughtfully. “Supposedly the queen has made it her life task to bring back the families that left.”

 

  He looked at me, processing what that could mean. “They want you to move back, then?”

 

“Yes. I think so.” I frowned. “They aren’t pressuring me, but there’s a lot to accepting the position. I’d be on the council to the queen.” I laughed. It was such a ridiculous thought. “I’d be in charge of lands and a house.”

 

“That’s a very big honor.” Dad looked at me seriously and I stopped my giggles.

 

“It is. B

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter