Chapter Fourteen

The Prince and I
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The three hours of sleep I had managed to get did not go well with my hatred for mornings. All my stuff was piled into the cars waiting outside and I was looking around my room for any last-minute items. My outfit was dressy yet casual—jeans, riding boots, and a comfortable shirt with a big chunky scarf—since I knew the press would be taking pictures. Myeong Joo was standing by the door holding my new black pea coat and looking a little misty-eyed. Tears this early in the morning were scary.

 

“I’ve got your coat.” Myeong Joo sniffed and I looked up at her with wide eyes. “Oh no.”

 

“You’re going to need it. I checked the weather and it’s snowing there.” She sniffed again. “Don’t want to get sick right when you get there.”

 

“Myeong Joo, don’t do this.” I shook my head, frozen in place.

 

“I know that good-byes aren’t your thing, so I’m just going to give you this and then go to my room.” Sniff. Hiccup.

 

“C’mon, you’re killing me.” I felt the skin around my eyes tighten and I blinked quickly.

 

“I’m going to miss you.” She the coat out in front of her.

 

“You’re going to come see me this summer, right?” I didn’t take the jacket. “This isn’t good-bye forever.”

 

“But I’m going to miss your grumpy morning face and the way you double-check all the dishes I’ve cleaned.” She pouted.

 

“Dae Young’s grumpy in the morning, you’ll be fine.” “Am not.” He grunted.

 

“Right. Not grumpy at all.” I shook my head. Myeong Joo gave up waiting on me to take the jacket and threw her arms around me anyway. I hugged her back, knowing it would be a while before I got to see her again. No one else would understand me the way Myeong Joo did. I squeezed her a little tighter and then let go. “I’ll send you a souvenir. Maybe one of those little figures that’s pooping in a lawn.” I hugged Dae Young too and turned quickly to walk out the door. The news vans that hadn’t left in the last few days were still there, the reporters standing on the curb with cameras and microphones.

 

“Mo Yeon! Mo Yeon! Are you excited about going to Urk for the first time?” “Are you going to stay in Urk?”

 

“Are you and Prince Si Jin an item?”

 

“Mo Yeon! How do you feel about being Korea’s Duchess?”

 

I couldn’t help but laugh at the last comment and looked over at the reporter. “Korea’s Duchess?”

 

“Our very own royalty! What do you think?” He seemed elated I had found his comment funny.

 

“I’m a grad student.” I shook my head and ducked through the open door of the car. It was weird that I had gotten used to having a driver already. Even though my car was a pain in the , I did miss the old thing. Dae Young and Myeong Joo were going to use the car to move the rest of my stuff to my dad’s house and then leave it there.

 

The trip to the airport was surreal. We passed some of the landmarks that had been part of my life for the last ten years, buildings I had known forever, it seemed. Vans full of reporters and cameras followed us at a respectable distance—thank goodness. I’d hate for them to photograph the tears that were running down my cheeks.

 

Byung Soo had come to me and I was starting to wonder why I was being protected by the head of the detail. Thankfully, he hadn’t said anything about my crying, just handed me a tissue and turned back to the front of the car. As we neared the airport, I checked my bags again to make sure I had everything I would need. It was pointless because I had already checked twenty times while at the house. The retentive in me was satisfied, so I sat back and wiped at my face to make sure there was no moisture left to betray my emotions.

 

When we pulled up to the drop-off point, there was a huge area blocked off by a police . Si Jin was standing at the curb, smiling and chatting with a few people wearing press badges. I wondered how he could look so chipper talking to the people who would just as happily post embarrassing pictures of him. When Byung Soo exited the front seat, Si Jin excused himself with a wave and came over to my car. I put on a small smile and let him help me out.

 

“Ready?” His eyes studied my face and I wondered what he saw there. I was a giant ball of emotions and wasn’t even sure myself what the most prominent was at this moment. Sadness, definitely, but there was also a thread of excitement, and to be honest, I was happy to see Si Jin.

 

“Think so.” I took a deep breath and shouldered my bag.

 

He smiled at me, but I could see a little guilt in his eyes. “Nothing is ever as good or as bad as you think it will be. Urk is just a place. It’s what you make of it that counts.”

 

His voice was quiet, so I knew no one else could hear us except for Byung Soo, who hadn’t left my side. Ji Soo was standing close as well, but she had given Si Jin a little space when he obviously wanted to say something privately. I nodded to let him know I had heard him. He was right—I could make this as good or as bad as I wanted.

 

“My lady, may I take your bag? I’ll see to it that it’s on the plane before you leave,” Ji Soo said quietly.

 

I handed it over, feeling without anything to do with my hands. Si Jin was wearing a suit and I suddenly felt underdressed in my skinny jeans and boots. At least I would be comfortable on the flight. I frowned and hoped I wasn’t breaking some kind of protocol by not wearing a dress. Okay, so I wasn’t going to wear a dress just to please them, but I could have at least worn nice slacks.

 

“Smile at least a little, okay?” Si Jin smiled widely to illustrate just how little I was supposed to smile and I laughed. I could see all his teeth.

 

“Got it.”

 

“That’s my girl.” My breath hitched at his words and he seemed to catch my response because his smile widened even more.

 

“Mo Yeon! Mo Yeon!” “Mo Yeon! Over here!” “Are you excited?”

 

The last question made me stop and I turned to smile at the cameras. It was early and I’d only had one cup of coffee before leaving, but it was time I at least said something to the press. Especially if I was leaving. I might not like being a news story, but I loved my home and saying good-bye seemed appropriate.

 

“I hate leaving, but I’m looking forward to seeing my homeland.” I smiled widely and let them take a few pictures. Not exactly a good-bye, but I hoped it would work. “Hopefully it won’t be as cold there.”

 

My last statement produced a few chuckles and I gave a quick wave before going through the sliding doors to the airport. Si Jin walked next to me, not touching, but close enough I didn’t feel alone.

 

“Well done.” He winked down at me. “You’re already slipping into the part.”

 

Ja Ae was speaking to some officials near a door and I let myself be guided toward her.

 

“Yes, thank you. That will be perfect.” Ja Ae smiled graciously and I studied the way she handled the people, mentally taking note of how she spoke to them. Friendly, but with a small sense of detachment—most likely to keep them from overstepping any bounds. “We appreciate all you’ve done for us.”

 

“It’s been a pleasure, ma’am.” The airport official smiled at her before turning to me and Si Jin. “Good morning, Highness. Duchess.”

 

“Good morning.” Si Jin reached out and shook hands with him. “Morning.” I was still on the fence over how good it was. I let him shake my hand and tried to hide my nerves.

 

“Mo Yeon, have you ever been on a private jet?” Ja Ae leaned forward and kissed my cheeks in greeting. She linked her arm through mine and led me toward a side terminal.

 

“I flew on a Cessna once

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter