Chapter Eleven

The Prince and I
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The hotel was busy, guests checking in and out, people meeting for lunch or relaxing in the lobby. When we pulled up, the doorman opened the car door and Ji Soo exited first. He smiled at her before looking at me. When he realized I was in the car as well, his whole demeanor changed. He bowed his head a little and made a sweeping gesture with his hand.

 

I looked at Ji Soo to see if this guy was serious but she just smirked. As I walked past him, I realized he was the same guy who had been on duty the night I’d met the duchess and Si Jin for dinner. I squashed my urge to demand if he had been the one to sell photos to the press and walked past him with just a mumbled thank you.

 

Inside, Byung Soo and Ji Soo took us in an elevator to the penthouse. I found myself wondering if Si Jin would be there and tried to calm my racing heart. I wanted to see him, to tell him I was sorry again, but wasn’t sure if that would be a welcome thing or not. There was a short hallway outside the elevator that led to a large double door. Byung Soo knocked and we waited until another suit clad person opened the door.

 

“Mo Yeon!” Ja Ae stood up from a small desk next to the windows and walked over to me. She kissed my cheek and squeezed my shoulders. “So good to see you.”

 

“Thank you for seeing me on such short notice.”

 

“Not a problem at all.” She led me over to a small sofa and offered me some tea. “Have you come to a decision?”

 

“I have.” I took a polite sip from the teacup before setting it back on the table. “I would like to go back with you if the invitation is still open.”

 

“Of course! That’s wonderful news.” She leaned back in her chair and smiled. “And will your father be joining us?”

 

“He has to finish his current chemotherapy treatments, but he’ll come shortly after.” I frowned, realizing there was a great deal for me to take care of, like plane tickets for him and setting up appointments. “Si Jin gave me some information on Dr. Bielefeld, but I’m not sure how to go about contacting him for my father. I imagine he must have a large client list.”

 

“Oh, no worries there. I’ll have someone set that up for you. In fact, there will be several things to take care of.” She turned and motioned over her shoulder to a lady in a blue dress. “You’re going to need access to your accounts, someone to help get you organized and to help you in the country since you’ve never been.”

 

“Um.” I looked from Ja Ae to the lady in blue and back. “I have no idea where to start.”

 

“That’s okay, dear. I knew there would be a lot to take care of.”

 

The front door opened and Si Jin walked into the room. The lady in blue and the waitress were setting up dishes on the dining table all bobbed a quick curtsy. Si Jin nodded his head in acknowledgment before his eyes fixed on me. He smiled politely at me and I felt queasy. There was a distance in his eyes that hurt.

 

“Mo Yeon.” He sat down on the other end of the short sofa and my body automatically tilted toward him. It was like being caught in a gravitational pull. “Are you joining us for lunch?”

 

“Oh, no.” I turned back to his aunt, wanting to focus on anything other than the man next to me. “I didn’t mean to interrupt your meal. I can come back later.”

 

Ja Ae was watching me with that calculating look again. It wasn’t unfriendly, just thoughtful. You could see her trying to figure out what was going on between me and Si Jin.

 

“Have you eaten? I called for four people.” Ja Ae nodded toward the table and the three place settings.

 

“Thank you, but I really don’t want to intrude.”

 

“Nonsense. We have a lot to discuss.” She turned her attention back to the lady in blue. “Hee Eun, can you please bring me the green folder on my desk? And call the office and see if Chadwick is available.”

 

“Yes, ma’am.” Hee Eun hurried back with the green folder and then quietly left the room to make her phone call.

 

Ja Ae flipped through the folder before handing it to me. “This holds your account numbers and access codes, including several cards that are linked to them. There is also a brief summary of the lands you hold, your official title, and an itinerary for the next two days and when we land in Urk.”

 

“Accounts? Itinerary?”

 

“Yes, your family’s holdings have been guarded by the crown. When they left to protect themselves, they only took what they could carry. This meant leaving a great deal of money and valuables in banks and trusts.” Ja Ae sipped her tea while I digested that bit. “The itinerary is to help keep us all on schedule. Since you’ve decided to accept your title, we will need to do a press release. This will help clear up the rumor mill some.”

 

“You’ve decided to accept your title?” Si Jin looked at me with interest. “Yes.” I met his eyes and tried to calm my racing heart. My decision had nothing to do with Si Jin. At least that’s what I kept telling myself over and over.

 

“Good. Will your father be joining us?”

 

“He has to finish his current course of treatment.”

 

“Excellent. I’ll make a call to Dr. Bielefeld and see that he is aware of your father’s case.” Si Jin leaned back in his seat.

 

“Thank you.” I was trying to not be bothered by his behavior, but I found myself wishing the friendly, flirty man I had spent the day with yesterday was sitting next to me. He’d pulled back and I knew it was my fault.

 

I looked back at Ja Ae, who was watching us with a small smile. When Hee Eun came back into the room, she brought a small notebook to Ja Ae. “It took some arranging, but Chadwick is delighted to help Lady Kang.”

 

“Chadwick?” I asked.

 

“Chadwick is a member of the royal household staff. He has agreed to become your personal assistant, at least until you find one that suits you better. But I think you’ll get along with him quite well.” Ja Ae smiled. “His mother is Urk, but his father is American, so he will be able to help you adjust to the customs better than some might.”

 

“Oh. How does one pay a personal assistant? Is it an hourly thing or a salary?” I ran my fingers over the folder in my hand. Not sure what to expect when I opened it.

 

“He’s currently employed by the crown, which means he’s being given to you as a courtesy since we invited you to the country. However, if you decide to take him on as part of your staff, you’ll be able to make whatever arrangements suit you.” Ja Ae stood up and I set my teacup back on the table. “I need to make a phone call, but I’ll be back in a few minutes.”

 

“Go ahead and open it.” Si Jin nodded at the folder in my hands. “You need to know what you have.”

 

I looked from him to the folder and frowned. There was a crest pressed into the paper and I ran my fingers over it. Was this the Kang crest? I went ahead and opened the folder and peer

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter