Chapter Eight

The Prince and I
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The ride to the center was long, but it would have been shorter if people had stopped turning to look in our windows. When we pulled into the gravel parking lot where I had met Byung Soo yesterday, I hopped out of the car before Si Jin could get around to my side and shouldered my bag again.

 

“Well, this is it. Last chance to come up with something interesting to do. If you stay I might put you to work.” I looked at him, not sure if I wanted him to stay or go. Logically, I knew I’d get more work done if he wasn’t there, but I was also starting to enjoy his company.

 

“Use me as you see fit.” Si Jin stepped close, his eyes lit with mischief. “I’m at your disposal.”

 

“You may regret that.” I tried to keep my voice calm but failed.

 

“I highly doubt it.” Stepping around me, he opened the gate and we walked toward the main building. People stopped to stare at us, but for the most part no one really bothered me. For the first time that day I felt normal, like I could be myself.

 

I threw by bag down in a corner of the office and looked around for any notes. Daniel had been here earlier in the day and checked on the birds. Thankfully everyone seemed to be handling the weather well.

 

“You might want to leave your suit jacket.” I grabbed Dr. Song’s large snow coat from the rack and tossed it to Si Jin. He traded coats and hung his jacket on the rack.

 

This was the part of my day I looked forward to. Here, I didn’t have to deal with students or idiotic questions. Most of the others were leaving or going to their offices to finish up paperwork. I could focus on my birds, get lost in research, and agonize over my thesis. It was my passion and here nothing else got in the way. Nothing else came first.

 

Si Jin didn’t talk much as I showed him the facility: the mews, the enclosures, and the area where we prepped the food. There was also a very small room where Dr. Song performed examinations of the injured birds brought to us. It was a slow time of the year, considering most birds that could leave the cold did so. That was why Dr. Song chose this time to take a team of students farther south. They had spent time in the Everglades and the swamps of Louisiana. I think it was also a convenient way for him to get away from the snow for a while.

 

“How many of you work here?” Si Jin was helping transfer some of the birds while I cleaned cages. He hadn’t needed much direction. It was easy to tell he spent a great deal of time with raptors.

 

“Depends on the season.” I hauled a bucket over to use for trash. “In the summer we have volunteers who help out. There are shows and education programs as well that help raise money for the birds.”

 

“Education is the key, isn’t it? The more people understand about these creatures, the more they will be able to see their vital importance.” Gently, Si Jin coaxed the horned owl from her perch and onto his gloved arm. “That’s one of the things I’m working on back home. I run a charity that goes to schools and town centers to help educate the public. The kids love it.”

 

“What’s it called?”

 

“The Future Bird Trust.” He didn’t look at me as we talked, his eyes solely on the bird, so didn’t see my dumbscar expression.

 

“You run the FBT? I thought they were based in France.”

 

“Yes, we work very closely with the French government to uphold the laws protecting these beauties.” He looked at me over the owl’s head, his eyes full of determination. “It’s my goal to spread the FBT to the surrounding countries to educate the public about the importance of raptors. I hope that with more knowledge people will understand why it is so important to preserve these birds.”

 

“I’ve read about the FBT.” I leaned the shovel I was carrying against the wall and went to wash my hands. “They’ve done some great things.”

 

“Thank you.” He looked back at the owl, examining the large gash on her beak. “What happened to this one?”

 

“Car.” I turned back to the table to finish getting the food sorted. Rats and mice were the entrée for tonight. Not exactly my favorite part of the job, but I’d become immune to it at this point. Everything has to eat. I brought a small rat over to Dover, the owl Si Jin was holding. Si Jin took it in a gloved hand and proffered it to the bird.

 

“C’mon, sweetheart. Don’t be shy.” Si Jin clucked when Dover turned her head away from the meal. “I saw you eyeing it while the lovely Mo Yeon got it ready.”

 

“She’s a coy one.” I smiled at him, not sure if I was more amused by the coaxing tone or by him calling me lovely.

 

He mumbled a few words in Urk, at least I thought they were Urkn, and Dover turned to look at him. He chuckled and offered the rat again, which she deigned to accept. I didn’t blame her for turning to look at him. While he spoke English easily with an almost British accent, those words were beautiful.

 

“Well, that may be the fastest she’s ever accepted a meal from anyone.” “That so?” He smiled over at me.

 

“It’s the accent. Women always swoon for an accent.” I rolled my eyes. “And does the accent work on you?”

 

“You wish.” I fumbled with the gloves I was trying to put on. I looked at him over my shoulder to see if he was watching.

 

“Too true.” He winked at me. My heart jumped and I turned to finish making the meals. Unfortunately I knocked over the shovel and was rewarded with a loud clanking that sent all the nearby birds into a flutter. I bent over to pick up the shovel and glanced at Si Jin. He was openly watching my backside.

 

When he realized he had been caught ogling, he smiled and raised an eyebrow. “Nice jeans.”

 

“Thanks.” I turned back to the task at hand. “No—thank you.” He chuckled and I blushed.

 

“Did you know what your aunt was going to tell me last night?” I asked, wanting to change the subject. I kept my back to him, not wanting him to see my red cheeks.

 

“No. She asked me to accompany her to dinner and since I had no other plans, I agreed. She mentioned something about the university, but since we had been here earlier that day, I had no reason to think it was for anything else.”

 

“Yeah, I saw you guys. You were busy flirting with a blond girl outside the library and I couldn’t get through the front doors. I had to go all the way around to the back and they still wouldn’t let me in with the fancy-schmancy prince visiting.” He laughed at my barb and I remembered the way he had been laughing with the girl. Something in my chest tightened. I tried to stomp the emotion down because I had no reason to care.

 

“Min Seo.” He said her name with a fond tone and I felt my back stiffen. There was no reason I should care if he liked her. Just because he had been flirting with me didn’t mean anything. And really, I had no use for a prince. “She was assigned to show us the campus. Part of a sorority, I believe.”

 

I continued chopping up mice bits and ground my teeth. Of course she was. Cute, blond, designer clothes. Probably a business major so she’d have a degree when she went to work for the family company. Plus, she’d looked adorable standing next to Si Jin for the camera’s that had come to record the event. They had looked cute standing next to each other. And comfortable with each

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter