Chapter Fifteen

The Prince and I
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

In only a few more rolls I was completely out of money and Si Jin was gloating. “Ah, what shall I do with you?”

 

“Again?” I raised my eyebrow. He was competitive, but so was I. “But I’ve already won.” He smiled. “And I like to win.”

 

“Bet you can’t do it again.” I narrowed my eyes. We still had two hours before we landed to refuel.

 

“Oh, I can do it again.” He leaned forward and lowered his voice. “But I’ll only play again if we up the stakes.”

 

“What are you betting?” The last couple of hours had gone by in a flash as I laughed and joked with Si Jin. I hadn’t realized we’d started flirting until I was almost out of money.

 

“If I win I stop pretending we’re just friends.” His voice dropped an octave and he glanced at my lips. “And I get to kiss you. Whenever I want.”

 

My body temperature went up as I considered what he was asking. “One kiss?”

 

“Maybe.” He leaned even closer. “But we both know we’ll want more than that.”

 

“And what do I get if I win?” I my lips, his smell invading my senses. A kiss didn’t sound too bad. In fact it sounded like a pretty good idea right now.

 

“What do you want?” He smiled cockily, knowing exactly what I was wanting right this minute.

 

“You teach me Urk.” I frowned. “I don’t want to sound like an idiot at the ceremony.”

 

“You realize this means I win either way.” He ran a hand over the scruff on his jaw and I was mildly fascinated by the sound it made under his fingers.

 

“No. If I win, you have to teach me Urk while keeping your hands to yourself.” I picked up the dice and rolled. “Like a good friend.”

 

“Where’s the fun in that?” He kept his voice low. “I can think of some really fun ways to teach you my native tongue.”

 

“I bet you can.” I let out a nervous chuckle, thinking about the things I’d like him to do with his tongue.

 

“I can think of some things I’d like to hear you say in Urk, too.” His eyes stared holes into me as he moved his top hat five spaces. “Loudly.”

 

“Then you better bring your A game.” “I always bring my A game.”

 

“Is that so?”

 

We set up the board for another game. Si Jin’s eyebrows had drawn together as we worked our way around the board and I realized he meant business. It excited me to know how serious he was about winning a kiss, but it also scared me. Possibly because I was excited by the idea.

 

Eventually I bought a hotel and put it on Park Place. I needed to reel in my hormones and focus. Even if he won, I wasn’t going to just give in to him. It was too complicated.

 

Si Jin landed on my carefully laid trap. “Pay up, Prince Yummy.” The nickname burst out of my mouth as I mentally screamed in slow motion, trying to stop my lips from uttering the words.

 

“Prince Yummy?” He threw his head back and laughed loudly. When he looked back at me, there was heat in his eyes. “Care to explain that one?”

 

“Myeong Joo.” I shook my head, trying to not look embarrassed. I was going to kill her the next time I saw her. “That’s her nickname for you.”

 

“I’m liking her more and more.” He leaned forward again. “Looks like you agree with her.”

 

“There goes your ego again.” I narrowed my eyes. “If you hear something enough it gets stuck in your brain.”

 

“Hm.” He pushed the dice toward me. “That’s one explanation.” “I’m going to kill her.” I frowned at the game board.

 

“Just make sure you hide the body well.” He chuckled, his hand reaching out to brush over my fingers. “I don’t think I’ve enjoyed a game of Monopoly this much in a long time.”

 

“I’m developing a deep hatred for it.”

 

“That’s because you’re losing.” He narrowed his eyes. “In fact, you’re losing so badly I’m starting to think you want to lose.”

 

“Har, har.” He was right. I was losing. Badly. “Maybe we should try another game.”

 

“Nope. You agreed to Monopoly.”

 

“That was before I realized you had some kind of Monopoly Jedi skills.”

 

“This is not the hotel you are looking for.” “Shut it, Obi-Wan Cheater.”

 

Something shifted, and I began to take the lead. Si Jin looked miffed, and eventually frustrated. When he landed in jail I stood up and did a little dance in the aisle. He watched me with hooded eyes and it dawned on me I was shaking my in his face. I sat back in my seat but couldn’t stop smiling. He leaned his elbows on the table and stared at the board with confusion.

 

“I can’t remember the last time I lost.” He looked at me with a small smile. “I might lose more often if I get treated to your victory dances.”

 

“Oh, c’mon. I’m sure you’ve lost before.” I started putting the pieces back in the box. 

 

“I was distracted.” He smirked.

 

“That’s not my fault.”

 

“On the contrary, it’s completely your fault.” He gave me a slow smile that made me want to knock the rest of the pieces off the table and pull him on top of it. “You may have won this time, but I still think we won’t last as friends for very long.”

 

“Why? I have plenty of guy friends.”

 

He narrowed his eyes briefly. “There’s something here, Mo Yeon. Deny it if you can, but I don’t think you’ll be able to for long.”

 

“Seriously. Your ego is at dangerous levels.” I bit my lip and focused on cleaning up. He took the stack of money out of my hand and sorted it into the right places.

 

“You can deflect all you want. It doesn’t make it any less true.” “You said there were two options.” I didn’t meet his eyes.

 

“I have a clear preference.”

 

We lapsed into silence as we waited to land. Hee Eun woke Ja Ae as we started the descent and I stared out my window. I pulled my feet up into my seat and leaned on the wall to try to see better. It was late in the day and the sun made the clouds glow a soft golden hue. It was beautiful, but I wanted to see all the green. As if listening to my thoughts, the sky split and I had my first hint. The greens were blurring into blues i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter