Chapter Twelve

The Prince and I
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“You’re going to Urk?” Myeong Joo sat on the couch next to me.

 

“Yeah. I think I need to do this.” I looked over my shoulder to where Ji Soo sat in the kitchen. “Myeong Joo, there are millions in the bank accounts. And there’s a specialist to work with Dad.”

 

“What did Dr. Song say?” Myeong Joo crossed her legs and leaned toward me.

 

“He gave me the name of someone he knows in Urk and seemed to understand. It’s not like I can teach any of the classes right now. It was a fiasco.”

 

“It could calm down.” Myeong Joo frowned. “Okay, not any time soon, but it just seems like a huge decision.”

 

“I know.” I picked at the blanket over my legs.

 

“Look, if you think this is a good idea then you should do it.” She sighed and flopped back on the cushion.

 

“I thought you would be excited. You told me I needed to know more about my family.” I leaned my head against the armrest and closed my eyes.

 

“I’m playing devil’s advocate. I just want to make sure you’re happy.” “You really need to stop hanging out with Dae Young so much.” I opened my eyes and glared at her.

 

She just laughed at me. “I can’t believe you’re leaving me. Who am I going to torture?”

 

“I’m sure you’ll find ways of bugging me.” I chewed on my thumbnail for a minute. “Are you going to have someone else move in?”

 

“Dae Young and I talked about it. I think we’re just going to make it official and stop paying rent for two places.” Myeong Joo smiled, her face bright with excitement.

 

“About time. I guess I’ve been holding you up, huh? No wonder you don’t look upset I’m leaving. You get to officially shack up with your boy toy.” I laughed when she threw a pillow at me.

 

“You guys realize I’m sitting right here, right?” Dae Young was sitting in the ugly old recliner by the curtain, a book opened on his lap.

 

“Shut up. I’m upset you’re leaving and you know it.” She frowned at me. “Will you be back here at all? If your dad is going there you won’t have a reason to visit.”

 

“Of course I’ll have a reason to visit.” I shoved her shoulder. I wouldn’t throw Dae Young under the bus, I had a feeling it wouldn’t be long before they were mailing out wedding invitations.

 

“Speaking of boy toys, how’s Prince Yummy?”

 

I heard Ji Soo sputter in the kitchen and I kicked Myeong Joo.

 

“What? Don’t act like you haven’t thought it.” Myeong Joo raised her voice and craned her neck to look at Ji Soo. She smiled and got up from the table to go to the sink. “Fine. Pretend if you want to.”

 

“Si Jin is fine.” I tried to keep my tone normal.

 

“Mmhmm. He sure is.” Myeong Joo wiggled her eyebrows and I groaned. “Please tell sixth-grade Myeong Joo that I’d like to talk to adult Myeong Joo.”

 

“Fine. Has he kissed you yet?” She narrowed her eyes at me. “Oh ho! Your silence speaks volumes!”

 

“Dae Young, stop letting her read your textbooks. I’m begging you.” He didn’t respond other than to shrug.

 

“C’mon. You have to tell me!” Myeong Joo looked at me with pleading eyes.

 

“It’s not going to happen again.” I sighed, knowing I had to spill if I wanted any peace.

 

“Oh my God. Si Jin really did kiss you! How was it? Why on Earth is it not going to happen again? Was it bad?” Myeong Joo sat up straight. “That’s the saddest thought in the world.”

 

“It was good.” I shook my head. “Really, really, good. The best. But it shouldn’t have happened. I have too much going on to deal with that too! I mean, I’m not interested in a fling.”

 

“What makes you think it would be a fling?” Myeong Joo narrowed her eyes at me. “Did he say that?”

 

“No.” I bit my lip and then blurted it out. “I’m a commoner! He’s a freaking prince! What use would I be? He probably needs to end up with someone from a royal family that can help him rule a country.”

 

“Um, aren’t you from a royal family?” Myeong Joo raised one eyebrow and looked at me like I was stupid.

 

“It’s not the same thing, Myeong Joo. He’d need someone from a respected family.” I wrapped my arms around my chest. “I’m not really royal. I’m a commoner related to someone who was a royal.”

 

“That doesn’t seem to matter to Ja Ae and Si Jin.” “Myeong Joo.”

 

“Don’t Myeong Joo me. I saw the way you looked at him. The way he looked at you. Don’t be stupid, Mo Yeon. You overthink things.”

 

“I do not! I make educated decisions.” I shook my head. “I have way too much going on to be mixed up in anything complicated.”

 

“Complicated is the best kind.” Myeong Joo smirked.

 

“I’m going to bed.” I threw the blanket off and stood up. “I have to pack tomorrow and get ready for the trip.”

 

“I see my argument skills have forced you to retreat. I claim victory.” “Shuddup!” I looked over at Ji Soo, who was leaning against the kitchen doorframe. “Do you need anything?”

 

“I have everything I need.” She smiled at me.

 

“Okay. Spill. Why do you have a native accent but work for Urk?” I frowned at her.

 

“I went through training with the FBI. When Ja Ae came over a few years ago, I was part of the team assigned to her.” She smiled. “I stopped an attempt to kidnap her and she asked me to work for her.”

 

“Someone tried to kidnap her?”

 

“Holy .” Myeong Joo stood up and walked over. “You stopped a kidna

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter