01. When the rain comes

Family Picture
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It was one of those hot and humid July summer days, one of those slow days were, as a prepubescent, you have so much time in your hands that is almost overwhelming. Chanyeol was alone at the little green area in front of his building, kicking a ball against the tall concrete wall that separated the building where he and his family lived from the road and the next building. The residential area was calm, as every residential area can be in the middle of summer with children playing here and there, the sound of giggles and water balloons, and some occasional whines. He was getting bored while waiting for Kyungsoo and Jongdae to come and play when a black car followed by a big white truck entered the building parking lot.

 

He grabbed the ball and approached the entrance trying to see what was going on, he had always been a curious kid. Behind a column he watched a tall man, around the age of his  dad, and a boy, this time around his age, with a sky blue shirt getting out of the car. While the man started talking to the other men in the truck, the boy just stood by the car holding a backpack with a sad face.

 

“Chanyeol” - hearing his name, he jumped a bit, it was awfully easy to get him scared - “What are you doing?.”

 

It was Kyungsoo and Jongdae, they were late, or just in time depending on how you see it.

 

“I think I have new neighbors!” - Chanyeol answered with a big smile.

“Let’s see!.”- as always, Jongdae was easy to excite, and his yelling made the boy look straight into their direction.

 

What a sight for him, the three kids behind a column not hiding at all, looking at him as if he was a new toy on exposition. He blushed heavily and hide behind the other side of the car.

 

“Why he did that?.” - Jongdae asked.

“You scared him with your yelling”- Kyungsoo answered quickly laughing with Chanyeol.

“You scared him with your ugly face” - Jongdae said back and Kyungsoo tried to kick him but then the man, probably the boy’s father, approached them.

 

“Hello, kids” - the man said with a peaceful smile. The three kids bowed quickly and greeted the man. - “I’m Mr. Byun, do the three of you live here?.” - the man asked.

 

“Only me.” - Chanyeol answered politley - “We live at the 5C, sir.” - Mr. Byun nodded softly an smiled again.

 

“I have a son… he’s 14 I think it’s around your age. If you three get to know him, please be good kids, okay?.” - Mr. Byun words where filled with kindness and worry for his son, almost overprotective.

He left the kids after that carrying a big box with him. “Oh” - he suddenly stated - “We also live on the fifth floor, by the way.”

 

Chanyeol looked to his friends who were also looking at each other with confused expressions. Chanyeol turned himself to see if the boy was still there, but he wasn't at the car. After looking after him for a moment, the three kids grabbed Chanyeol’s ball and left the parking lot to play elsewhere. It was a hot summer day after all.

 

After that hot summer day another one came by, and another one, that’s how summer works. Chanyeol didn’t saw the boy anymore during the following days, he was always at home, he had assumed. There was this one time were his mother made him, and his sister, accompany her to say hello to the new neighbors. He was there, with the same exact sad face, but Chanyeol learnt something that day, his name was Baekhyun. Byun Baekhyun.

 

He was shorter than Chanyeol, probably around Kyungsoo’s height, and paler, his eyes dropped a little by the corners ma

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter