006

Happiness' End

Yoona and Yoonkwon went back to the interrogation room, as Gikwang had asked them. "Right now, our culprit might be holding someone hostage. Either as a mean to revenge his brother, or to get a way out. 1) Fine our culprit's hideout. 2) The hostage's life is more important than anything else. 3) Don't do anything alone." He ordered and Yoona was reading the interrogations, which was also what Gikwang wanted. "Our witnesses will continue their routine while we monitor them. From their testimonies, our culprit doesn’t have much places to go to. We will be separated into teams of 2. Since the team from Seoul will arrive in a bit, I will leave Yoona here." Gikwang said and she could simply comply to this. Everyone started to get moving. Before the leader left the classroom, he left a walkie talkie to her.

What can she do anyways? Yoonkwon turned to look at Yoona who now focused herself on the documents.

If the culprit is here to seek revenge, he wouldn't let those students off so easily. Based on the previous profile, which was a little off from the current profile, this guy Heo JongHyuk is still mentally unstable. If his brother was suffering from SAD, and if he was his only family left, Jonghyuk could possibly be the one supporting his brother. His brother's death would be the main factor for him to be mentally unstable... but why 2 years later? 

Someone knocked at the door which drove Yoona out of her thoughts. It was the Seoul team that was here to give then a hand. "Ms. Im." Team leader Song Joongki said and Yoona politely bowed her head to him. He seemed tired. Seemed like he didn't simply have this one case to take care of. "Is there anything you need?" He asked seeing how serious she was, while holding the files. She nodded. There was something Yoona needed to verify because it was starting to bother her.

------

Meanwhile, Gikwang was following the main witness who spoke in the stead of the others, Kim Jaehyuk. He seemed to be the closest to Go Minjae, the missing person. While Jaehyuk was doing his everyday activities. People did glanced towards Gikwang’s directions, which he had already gotten used to from past cases. While leaning against the wall, he started to think supervising the kids wouldn’t possibly be the best option, although there was no guarantee that Joonmyeon wouldn’t come for them... now he needed to think. 

If he was the criminal, and is seeking revenge for his brother, he wouldn't simply stay put after holding one person hostage. Based on his previous actions, this sudden change of behaviour didn't make sense at all. If he followed the chain of actions of their culprit, he would blow up the entire school. He decided to verify something, picking up his walkie talkie, "Yoona, has Leader Song arrived yet?" 

"Yes." She replied. "You called just on time. I have some... new theories. Do you have some time?" She asked. 

"Go on. I'm having the same thoughts, so let's hear what you came up with." 

She cleared which amused Gikwang, "Since Song Leader arrived, we have been looking trough Heo Joonmyeon's whereabouts for the last 2 years. In 2016, Heo Joonmyeon was on isolation at an asylum, after he purposedly harmed the personel and other patients at the mental hospital. A year later, after the doctors find him more mentally stable, he was under doctors' close supervision and have gotten out only earlier last month. And he has no intentions of going back. There are a little more than a dozen other students who have known Heo Joonmyeon's brother... I am afraid that he is simply holding the hostage as a diversion from his actual goal like..."

Gikwang finished, "Like blowing up the school with a gas tank." Joongki was besides her and wondered if the culprit will really blow up the school... because it sounded pretty intense right now. He had heard rumours about Gikwang’s abilities to stabd from the criminal’s point of view, to guess the culprit’s next move, and for sire those aren’t simply rumours. "Leader Song, I need you to dispatch some of your men, to search for a suspiscious looking student, suspiscious looking place, or the hostage, my team will join yours." 

With that, everyone started to move. Even if the culprit wouldn't blow up the school, there shouldn't be any chances taken. And they couldn’t simply send everyone away like that yet. Before Yoona decided to look around by herself, Gikwang had other plans for her, his voice rang out of the tlaking device "Yoona, stay where you are. You will come with me." He said and she pursed her lips together before agreeing. 

Before Joongki left, she went up to him, "Leader Song, pay more attentions for confined places." She suggested and Joongki simply nodded before going out. He understood the reasons why she would tell him to do that, but was she that sure of her assumptions? Well this, he will see by the end of the case.

Gikwang was here in a bit, and before they decided where to go, he decided to visit the laboratories again, "Ever heard of re-living a scene?" He asked and Yoona looked at him. He smiled. "You will see in a bit." 

The laboratories were very well organized, everything were cleaning, placed properly, alligned, to each other, "Based on one of the witness' testimony, this is where our culprit spends the most of his time at a laboratory..." Indeed it was a place where someone who didn't like to talk to people could spend his time at. The cubicles allowed each students to focus simply on their tasks, no sounds from the outside, behind these soundproof walls. And Heo Joonmyeon's working place was rather... insanely clean. 

Gikwang walked around the desk, Yoona's eyes simply followed him, while he seemed to be getting too much into... a character, which was starting to scare and amaze Yoona. At this point, she couldn't say she fully knew who stood in front of him. She knew what he wanted to do. He wanted to track their culprit down. He decided to step out of the laboratory and ran into Joongki when he was about to enter the supply room, where all materials were stored in. 

"We... we found the student but we have a problem." Yoona and Gikwang quickly followed the leader to the next room. And they soon realized what the big problem was... the student called Minjae, was tied up to a bomb and himself was unconscious. Now that, was the scientific character of their culprit. Yoona frowned. “Our bomb specialists will be here in a bit...” 60 min. It gave them quite some time to solve... but doesn’t this feel right?

Before Joongki finished his sentence, the rest of the team reported back something urging, “Boss.” Yoonkwon called. “We found a total of 3 bombs placed around the school.” Now. It gave them 15 minutes to solve each of them, and there was no guarantee that all the bombs were made the same way. That was why having a scientist criminal, and sociopath on top of that, was a pain. 

Yoona turned to Gikwang. He was deep in his thoughts and she didn’t know if she was simply being paranoid or what, but why does she feel like all these were a distractions? What if she was simply thinking too much? She couldn’t afford to take the chance... but what if sue was right? She wanted to hit herself so bad. Why is she hesitating?!

”B...boss...” She called she had made up her mind and Gikwang turned to her. Joongki looked at her, and the few others who afterwards joined them.

”I know.” He simply replied and came up to her then ruffled her hair. He turned to Joongki, who watched this scene uncomfortably, and told him, “We still have to confirm something. While the team’s getting here, I will find this one last bomb.” He explained and before leaving, held the scribbles to Joongki which might held the bomb specialists to get some ideas on stopping the bomb.

”Have the students evacuate the school first.” So there was a fifth bomb. Right now, they have to find their culprit. If all students start moving at once, they will have trouble locating him. But Joongki had an idea.

———

“How did you know?” Yoona suddenly asked and Gikwang turned to her.

”You haven’t changed at all, you still can’t conceal your emotions from your eyes... there was also this fourth page, from our culprit’s desk, where it seemed like he was preparing a fifth bomb. I don’t know much about the scribbles or bombs but hopefully we aren’t falling into a trap.” So that was why he simply left with her, she thought. “There is still one last floor we haven’t check yet. The sports centre’s storage room.” 

Yoona nodded. Her guts feelings were telling her the same thing. While Joongki and the rest evacuated the entire school, surprisingly, the sports ward remained extremly calm and peaceful. Not a single person was there.

”Stay behind me.” Gikwang said before he took the lead, putting his hand on his gun on his belt behind his coat, while his eyes focused in front of him. 

“He’s not here...” Yoona whispered to herself and stood closer behind Gikwang, to guard his back, while she was ready to pull out her gun also, which she didn’t have other options. She didn’t have any other things to protect him and herself.

Plus, she had never really used a gun for real on someone. And she really do hope she won’t ever have to. Seeing everything was still as they are, they proceeded forward. There were 2 main gyms, 2 workout rooms (with machine in them), 1 storage room lovated in the back, 1 dance studio upstairs (have to go through the gym), 1 pool and 4 changing rooms (where 2 includes washrooms). They walked down this white walled wing of the school, and seeing this first empty hall, they separated their ways.

Gikwang opened the first door, the men’s changing room. He turned to Yoona after he walked around the changing room, on the other side of the hallway, and shook her head.

His phone rang, which the sound resonated through the hallway. Yoona and him looked at each other before he answered the call.

“Boss. There are 3 bombs that still haven’t been neutralized. The bomb specialists have arrived at the scene, the school is empty, and countermeasures had been placed. Leader Song suggested to wait another 10 minutes. And the culprit... is still no where to be found.”

Yoona frowned and turned to the pool. There. It has to be there. A place of suffocation. She didn’t bet on the gymnasiums because it was too spacious. While the first changing rooms were empty, she had to take a chance at the pool. 

Gikwang came up to her, “Yoona head out first.” She turned to him. “I will check the pool, since you have been staring at it for so long.”

”I’m going too.” She replied firmly. 

“Yoona...”

”Oppa. You’re the one who said to never do something alone. Let’s do it together. If it’s the end, then it shall be.” There weren’t time to argue. He sighed and nodded. 

They headed back to the opposite direction, where the pool was.

They entered the pool, to discover a body hanging by the trampoline, Heo Joonmyeon’s feet dangling above the surfave of the water, blood running down his face, neck, hands and feet... and his eyes, that remained opened. Gruesome. The dark blood that covered his face made the eyes stood out. He realky had to be mentally unstable to be able to maintain his eyes opened...

Gikwang went to look around.

Before Yoona could take another step to either check onto the corpse, Gikwang pulled her back by the arm, and the ticking sound of a bomb resonated through the place. The last bomb. Gikwang remembered the scribbles of the 5 bombs, and the last one was something very complicated, and he knew he wouldn’t be able to take a chance to cut off one of the wire. He really had no hope for that. And the bomb specialists, whom Baram was sending to them, wouldn’t make it. 2 minutes. They couldn’t run. They won’t be able to reach any exit nor reach a safe enough distance... Underwater.

He ran up to Yoona and pulled her down the water with him, falling into the deepest zone. The shock of their body against th surface of the water was so strong that they fell away from each other. But Gikwang rushed to swim towards her because Yoona didn’t know how to swim and she couldn’t float. And a huge explosion shook the entire place 

She struggled to keep the air in her lungs and to reach for the surface of the water. She can’t. And she was being pulled towards him. The warmth from his hand onto her arm, then his arms moved to hold her around her waist. Before the air escaped through , he pressed his lips against hers, and passed air to her. While she widden her eyes. Now that... was something she never expected to get on the first few days after coming back and merting him again. A kiss. Kinda.

End of 006 -underwater kiss.-