008

Happiness' End

Yoona sat up on her bed and stared in front of her blankly, "It's not a dream." She said and emotions from yesterday night rushed through her brain. 2 weeks in, and all these had already happened... she ruffled her hair, kicking her covers on her bed, before Joowan suddenly came up to the room, “Yah Im Yoona, stop messing around and get ready then come eat breakfast.” He said and walked back to the kitchen.

”I will wait a bit before telling him.” Then she thought, and got out of bed to get ready to head to the office.

———

Baram and Joon were the earliest that arrived to work after Gikwang usually. But today, Yoona was already there. They were given the chance to take a break after rushing through closing the case with Seoul’s team, but they have decided to get rewarded otherwise. Gikwang was going to treat them dinner for their good job tonight. And guess what, his teammates weren’t planning to hold back from hurting his wallet!

Yoona and Gikwang were in the common office area, where Gikwang was helping Yoona to clean off her desk, and to perhaps decorate it. The computer for her desk had arrived but it wasn’t set up. He was doing that while Yoona was simply arranging her stuff on her desk. And like you all might have guessed already, she was a very particular girl who had to have her stuff placed in a certain angle, place.

Gikwang was setting up the system, and he turned to her, “You don’t have any other stuff?” He asked seeing there weren’t much personal items on her desk. She shook her head. “Here sit down while I finish the rest.” He said then as she did, he took a post-it, and wrote down his number, sticking it on her office telephone’s screen.

”What is that?” She asked, looking at his unchanged handwriting. 

“You don’t have my number.” He said and as he liked to do it, leaned against the edge of the desk, and stared at Yoona’s eyelashes batting from time to times. As she was focused on other stuff, he leaned forward, to gave her a quick kiss on the forehead before resting his chin on the top of her head... which was something he always did when they were young. At first Yoona wanted to protest, since there might be someone coming in anytime, but he stopped her from worrying, “Remember?”

”Of course.” She replied, resting her arms. Back in the days, when the 2 hang around each other, to annoy her, Gikwang would always rest his chin on her head, since Yoona was often so focused on reading, that he felt like grabbing her attention. It was simply an old beautiful moment. He gave her another kiss on her forehead before he finished setting up the computer, dusting off his hands. 

“You’re not going to call me AJ oppa?” He asked and Yoona almost choked. He laughed and she quickly, flustered by the sudden suggestion, turned away. He pulled her back and said, “You’re going to leave me hanging with my question here?” 

Yoona sticked out her tongue, and let out a chuckle before she escaped his grip, while he remained there, stupefied. That wasn’t what he was going for. 

The two of them were fooling around because there wasn’t anyone yet at the office. They each other discussed on the way here, that both will wait a but before making their relationship public, and that at work, all personal matters were to be set aside and that both will be working seriously on their roles, no favouritism. 

With their super senses, they both put an end on their current carefree behaviour and stood up; then Baram and Joon arrived to the office place through the elevator. 

“Boss! Yoona! You two are quite early today.” Joon commented and Gikwang nodded. “We have breakfast prepared for the team, come eat some.” He said and the new couple simply declined the offer at the same time. “What did you come so early? We don’t have a case don’t we?” He continued and Gikwang swore he would make him shut up right now if he could, but he maintained his poker face. 

“I’m always early you fool.” He replied and turned back to Yoona, “If there are anything you don’t understand Baram will be the one to go for.” He said and continued his way to his office. When he was gone, Joon turned to Yoona.

”That’s why you don’t wanna come early. He assigns work to you.” He said and Gikwang, to Joon’s surprise, was behind him. 

“Then how about you do the work?” He asked and Joon turned to apologize. Baram on her side was shaking her head and turned to Yoona, noticing the newly arranged desk and computer system.

”Wow Yoona, you’re quite knowledgeable in setting up the new system in your computer and arranging your desk. I am surprised.” She started. “It took us days before the IT team had to come up and set up our system last time.” She said and before she noticed Gikwang’s phone number written on a piece of paper, Yoonkwon’s arrival attracted all their attentions. 

”Good morning!” He shouted and showed the breakfast he bought on the way here. He noticed Yoona and excitingly waved at her, which she waved back and of course, Gikwang didn’t fail to notice it. 

The boss subtlety squinted his eyes, wondering what was the deal with Yoonkwon. He approached his “disciple”, “Why are you in such an exciting mood in the morning?” He asked. There had always been a sort of curse in the Severe Crime Unit. The merrier you are during the times of “peace”, or the so called “calm before the storm” the more gruesome the next one is. 

Joon escaped Gikwang’s wrath, and explained to Yoona, “You will see why we are all very careful on our mood and how we relax. Last time we partied, we received a serial killing case. A disturbing one.” Joon said and Yoona understood why they seemed to be very careful always in the office. She noticed that their reactions to the ringtone of the phone always made their expression more serious. 

They approached the breakfasts being laid out by Yoonkwon. “Yoonkwon’s grandmother is a very caring, she made sure he brought enough food for us everyday.” Baram explained and Yoona nodded. 

“Here, try this. It’s my grabdmother’s speacialty.” Yoonkwon said and held a piece of omelette on a fork to Yoona, which Gikwang didn’t fail to notice. She thank him for his kindness but suggested she would serve herself from now.

She noticed Gikwang’s warning glares and threw back glares at him subtilely.

”Oh?” Baram suddenly exclaimed and Gikwang and Yoona stopped throwing glares to each other, thinking they might have been discovered. “Isn’t today the Seoul Fashion Week?” She asked herself and went to her desk, while Gikwang silently thanked goodness no one paid too much attention to Yoona nor him. “It is.” She confirmed. 

Seoul Fashion Week is an annual event where models, from across the world, designers, and sponsors who come together to create a fashion show, with a theme given to them. This year’s theme happened to be Memories. 

“What is so important about it that you would talk about it at work?" Joon asked and Baram pointed at something on her screen which Joon went to read off from it, “Top model claims to see ghosts and the future? A murder happened.” Joon frowned.

”Seoul’s team must be busy taking care of that tricky case.” He commented and Yoonkwon turned to Yoona.

She felt a gaze on her and she knew it wasn’t from Gikwang, and noticed Yoonkwon’s eyes, staring right into her. She forced a smile, feeling awkward, and asked, “Is there something wrong?” She asked and Yoonkwon nodded.

”There...” He whispered, almost silently. His index lifted up, trembling a bit, and his eyes fixed on something that wasn’t there. Gikwang stepped between Yoona and him. 

“Cut it off. You’re the one who’s the mist scared of ghosts here.” He said and Yoonkwon apologized before grabbing a plate of food for his boss. “Alright, take it easy for today guys, I will be in my office.” The leader said before he walked away, with Yoonkwon following. 

Joon came back for the breakfast, and noticed Yoona’s strange expression. “You alright?” He asked and she nodded. “Are you also superstitious?” 

Yoona didn’t answer for a while, and replied, “I do believe in ghosts... and I guarantee you they are around.” She whispered and her facial expressions. Dear Lord. Her expression was... too calm and true! Now that, made a cold chill run down Joon and Baram’s spines. 

“Wait Yoona..” Joon called, she turned back to him and he gulped back his words. Hold on. He couldn't show that he was superstitious. It's too embarrassing! Among all of them, Yoona’s the one who sudied science and... HOW CAN SHE SAY SHE BELIEVES IN GHOSTS?! Alright. Now he was starting to panic. "Ghosts don't exist. They don't." He assured himself. 

End of 008 -ghosts, supertitions or real?-