003

Happiness' End

Gikwang was on the couch in his office that he specifically ordered he wanted one in there in case he needed to sleep in his office. Last night, after dealing with the rest of the minor cases he needed to review, he went back to his apartment (even during his vacation) at around midnight and only got the chance to lay down on his bed at 1:00 AM. But then, he was called over to a crime scene at 2:00 AM. He was simply tired. And despite being used to this kind of calls at night, sleeping for only 1 hour was still tiring for him.

He came back to his office today at around 6:00 AM and was asleep since then. Earlier Yoonkwon came in to ask about the meeting he mentioned earlier in the car with Joon and that was all the people that bothered his sleep... Until a sound coming from the photocopy room (located near his office) woke him up. Again. 

He sat up and look at the time. Still 30 minutes before the meeting. Man. That 30 minutes could have been use preciously for sleep. He decided to go grab a coffee and to go home earlier today. Doojoon was stopping by his house anyways today. Only thinking about it, Gikwang felt even more tired. 

When he passed by the photocopy room, he noticed an unfamiliar figure looking through a document. He wondered who it was and so spoke up without really realizing it was her. “What are you doing?” He asked tiredly. The person turned around and he was more awake than ever. It felt different seeing Yoona again, this time, not on the wheechair. He knew that she was to get transferred here but he didn’t receive an actual date. Now that she was suddenly in front of him, he didn’t really know how to react. But then again, he saw her last time with Dongwoon and they seemed very VERY close. His face turned expressionless within seconds. And he knew Yoona didn’t fail to notice that. 

“I... I was simply repairing the photocopy machine...” She said. And Gikwang remained silent. She looked very different, brighter and less gloomy. He was relieved tat she was doing well. But what was bothering him right now wasn't the fact that she was closed with Dongwoon, but because she bothered herself with something else that she shouldn’t be: repairing the photocopier, which didn’t need her concerns since by afternoon someone of the department would’ve already done it for them. 

“It wasnt a matter of your concerns nor needed it.” He replied and sighed. “Read the file in your hand." And before comepletely exiting the room, he ce again, "You don’t need to attend the meeting.” He finished and continued his way to the meeting room.

Was he too harsh? Man whatever. In this department, there is no pity or being nice or not. But he had to admit, his heart was acting weird. And part of it wanted to go up to her and... hug her? He didn't know what he would do really. Maybe just stare at her. 

The team's office place was very well designed, in the back, it was a tinted glass meeting room, where people from the inside could see you but not the other way around. The desks were in the middle, there were 6 of them in total, where 2 of them was simply filled with files, papers, supplies. On the sides, there were other files, stack of legal documents, plants, this was where Boram spent her time looking for more information, apart from the computer. The only walls in the office were near the entrance of the place, and everything else had a wall of glass sperating everything. On the left side of the room, there was another tinted glass room, where at least 12 screens were attached together. This was where Joon did his work as a hacker. 

At her desk, Yoona looked through the document over and over again, yet the meeting seemed to be never-ending. She had already written down everything she needed. Her phone started to ring and it was Dongwoon who just texted her. “How is work so far? Already working on a case?” She read and let out a disappointed sigh. “I was told to read a file simply.” She replied and turned her eyes back to the file, when she noticed something. As she did, the meeting was finally done. Everyone came out of the meeting room, and Gikwang was the last to come out. When he did, he had a file with him, the one she managed to print for everyone, and he turned to Yoona’s desk. 

“Yoona. Now it’s your turn. Come to my office.” He said and continued his way. As soon as Gikwang called her name, she stood up, as habits from the academy.

The word “Yoona” escaped his mouth as if he was used saying her name. But it wasn’t. It felt weird because it had been a while since they spoke together. He felt a little happy, a little embarrassed and annoyed at himself for being like this. How much more had she changed? Was what he was wondering. He knew he was a little cold... perhaps very cold with her earlier, but that was his character. He smiled to himself. He knew it annoyed or pissed her off when he told her she didn’t need to attend the meeting. 1) It was because he wanted to test her afterwards, yet he didn’t tell her because, he had to admit, was for personal reasons. 2) He was simply too dazed and tired to even focus on anything. And if she were to be there, he didn’t know hownto act around her. 3) He wanted simply to watch her from afar before proceedings anywhere else. Yoona simply stood there noticing the change in his tone.

”Don’t worry. See it as if it is your test. He wants to test you.” Boram said and Yoona understood what she meant. He didn’t tell her to come to the meeting because he wanted her to give him raw thoughts concerning the case. Her lips lightly curled up for a few seconds before her poker face returned.

She cleared and went to Gikwang’s office. His door was left opened. It was a very dark, dimly lit room. His black desk was located in the back of the room, in from of the wall-length window, that provided a great view over Yeon District. There was a glass-board with a map underneath, and Yoona could still see writings on top of it. There were 3 white boards on one side of the room, folded. On the other side there were 2 black bookshelves, filled with all kind of books, figurines, a picture of his parents and him. A little further from his desk there was a black leather couch that seemed a little more expensive than she would have expected from a detective’s office. It was spacious and the view was amazing. They could see the N Tower from Seoul from afar, the little point that comes up from the hills. A very modern, sophisticated yet a little boring room. There weren’t much to see.

When Yoona entered the office, Gikwang was at his desk, with a file opened in front of him. The same that she was reading from earlier. She closed the door behind her and heard the door being automatically locked. It was also a room of technology, a very careful and meticulous person like Gikwang wouldn’t fail to make sure only him have access to his office, no one else.

”You might have figured, I want to test the extent of your analysis of this case without anyone else’s thoughts.” He said and she sat down in front of him. “Alright, what do you think of the case? I want your opinion and views as the Criminal Psychologist.” He said and Yoona nodded then started.

“1) There is simply 1 culprit for both the acid throwing and stabbing cases. Although there wasn’t a need for doing both since simply throwing acid or stabbing was enough to cause fear for the public. The culprit wanted to do more than that. More than simply scaring the public. He was targeting a particular group of people: youth group. He is particularly reprimanding a specific group of people. Which leads to my next point.

2) We are looking for a man, aged between the age of 20 to 25, who is still in college or a dropout of college. Considering the attendees of the Hip Hop event last night, most of the attendees were young adults, college students. Furthermore, the location of the balloons, based on the witnesses’ statement, was already enough for the culprit to go unnoticed and to proceed with his stabbing. But he went all the way towards the front of the crowd. Which the 3rd point becomes even more crucial.

3) A reason for someone to be throwing acid to others would be themselves had experienced the same sort of bullying, abuse, and harm. Our culprit is emotionally unstable and will be committing another crime very soon. Either he himself experienced the same sort of abuse or witnessed it. And there will be another case soon enough.

4) Our culprit could be an outcast, yet a very smart and careful student/dropout, based on the single fact that he knew exactly how to conceal his identity. In order for someone to be walking around with ballons without causing any suspicions among others, only someone who dresses up as a clown could do it. And the benefits of it, they are self-employed and didn’t need to expose their own identity for doing it.” She finished and Gikwand couldn’t be more satisfied than he was now. 

“Very good. Although they are based on your simplye assumptions, I have to say it answered a lot of questions already on our criminal. We will proceed our investigation based on what you’ve just said.” He said and closed the file in front of him. Yoona remained silent and waited for the next orders. “You will be working behind the scenes for now. Joon and Boram are both usually working in the office and Yoonkwon follows me. Until you’re used with everything in the office, you will remain in this office for now.” He said and she nodded. He put away the file, among the other ones stacked on his desk and Yoona stood up, preparing to leave before he called her.

”Welcome back. I am genuinely impressed and satisfied with your skills. There are plenty of chances for you to go out, don’t worry.” He said. She turned to look at him. “I am saying this not as your boss or Team Leader nor a colleague. But as me. Lee Gikwang.” His phone started to ring and he excused himself to answer it.

”I told you to not call when I’m working.”

———

“Boss has been in such a good mood. Sister-in-law is really doing a good job.” Yoonkwon said and Yoona who just entered the office place wondered what they were talking about. “But there aren’t any pictures of her.” He continued as Yoona realized they were talking about Gikwang.

“The importance is they do call, message and see each other off work.” Joon said. 

Yoona remained silent and then remembered the call he received earlier. She took a deep breath and realized she haven’t been breathing. She shook her head to conpose herself again. ‘Whatever.’ She thought and Gikwang entered the room. ‘It’s not my problem who he is dating.’ She thought.

”I will be leaving earlier today. I have some emergency to take care of, but meanwhile before 3:00 PM, I want the list of suspect on the top of this desk. Ask Yoona about what she told me earlier and we shall follow that profile she made.” He said and with that left in a hurry.

"Do you think it's because of sister-in-law?" Joon asked and Baram hit her boyfriend's head with the file in her hand. 

"Alright, Yoona. Let's see the analysis you've come up with." Yoona cleared her mind and throat before she started to speak.

———

“Eomma!” Gikwang called out as he entered the master room of the Lee household. His mother turned to him with a cast around her arm and neck. Her husband, Gikwang’s father, and Doojoon helped her to move more easily. “What happened?!” He asked and she slightly shook her head. Doojoon went out to take a call, but was quickly back into the room.

“I fell down the stairs. Luckily your Father interrupted my fall or my wounds would be more severe.” She said and her husband shook his head. 

“How could you be jumping down the stairs?” He asked in disbelief and Gikwang simply let out a laugh. "You're not a child anymore. Act like your age. Luckily Doojoon was paying us a visit and quickly acted in my stead. I was so scared when I saw you..." The husband complained and his wife hit him on the forehead. They all laughed and Gikwang's mother asked him to come closer to him, touching his cheeks. 

"Look at you. Even Doojoon pays us more visits than you." She said and Gikwang smiled.

"Don't worry about mother. Doojoon is almost like a second son for you." 

“Ani. Mother (calling his best friend’s mother, mother, since Doojoon is very close, almost like a son to Gikwang’s family). He is trying to avoid responsibilities.”

"Having Doojoon visiting is good. But having both of you together is better! You should listen to him more He said a lot of right things." Mrs. Lee proudly looked at Doojoon. And yes. At this point, Doojoon really treated Gikwang's family as his. They were much more sophisticated and genuine than his own family members.

Her husband came up to her and patted her on the shoulder. “Here, how about the two of you come grab a drink with me.” He said and Gikwang was about to declined the offer but Doojoon simply loved pushing his limits.

”Let’s go!” He shouted and eyed Gikwang with some hidden intentions behind his eyes.

End of 003 -A friend or troublemaker?-