005

Happiness' End

Yoona and Gikwang were standing on a rooftop and while he was silently reconstructing the scene from the interrogations he briefly heard at the hospital, he can be sure, they will be closing the case within the next days. First of, that guy had been planning his course of actions way before it had occured, and this simply confirmed what Yoona was telling him earlier: a college student who is following the route of probably his classmate's trip route. From Ms. Park's testimony, rather than being a shy, introvert student, who had already, beforehand, prepared a way to escape the crime scene, was actually a calculative person. X 1189 was the license plate which Joon was tracking down from the CCTV accross the city. Did he wanted revenge? 

"I believe the reason for his crime was for revenge." Yoona suddenly spoke up, as if reading through his mind. It brought Gikwang back to when they were young, when Yoona would always tell him about her reaosnings of the criminal's background and reasons to be, and how she was able to grasp onto stuff he couldn't figure out about the criminal, while he was very good at reacting the crime based on his chain of thoughts and few evidences of the scene. He guessed, some things never changed. 

Gikwang' phone started to ring, "Boss. Rather than having schools going in a trip to Yeon District and Seoul, after tracking down travel buses that entered Yeon District and Seoul or groups, considering the time of the crimes, was only one group of people, respectively going to Yeon District then heading to Seoul. I will send you the information." Baram reported. "As you've guessed, after our preliminary profile of the case, YoonKwon came upon Incheon's buses, finding out that one group of people who happened to be in both scenes were students of the high school there. It happens, the gas and acid were respectively bought in a craft shop and a cleaning supplies shop. In Incheon. We have already contacted the travel company, they should be calling back soon."

Gikwang glanced at Yoona who was silently napping now, after he had been on the phone for a while.

"Good job. Yoona and I are still in Seoul, there are still some reports we need to wait from the police station. Tomorrow morning, tell Yoonkwon to join us at Incheon by 10." He said, stopping the car by a convenience store.

***

Baram arched her eyebrow, "You are not coming back?" She asked. The boss didn't really give an answer. When she hunged up she turned to Joon who was laying tiredly on the desk. She went up to him and hit him on the side of his shoulder. "Hun, what did you say earlier?" She asked, nudging him to turn to her.

Still resting his head on the desk, rubbing his ribs where he got hit he asked in confusion, "What did I say? I didn't say anything." He was about to turn away but it seemed like Baram had other plans. 

"Yah! Don't just turn away. Earlier! About Sister-In-Law damn it."

"Yoona?" He asked and Baram sat there in shock. 

"I now start to believe too..." She whispered. "Boss... He rarely stay out, even for work, for the sake of resting! He has been too weird since Yoona came." She said. While Baram was simply no used to see Gikwang taking care of somoene... especially not someone opposite his gender. 

Joon on the other was very excited about that. Although the two of them weren't sure of the relationship between Yoona and Gikwang, Joon knew there will finally be someone who can surpress Gikwang's demoniac character. Simply thinking about that, he needed to laugh in relief.

Baram glared at him, wondering how she ended up dating him, "Alright. Let's go for now, tomorrow will be a busy day. Give Yoonkwon a call and tell him to rest for now."

When Gikwang wasn't here, although Joon had been working for the longest with Gikwang, and was considered to be the one to be in charged in their boss' absence, it was actually Baram, since he started dating her, that had to sometimes call him back from dreamland. Although she knew he was doing that on purpose. It wasn't that Joon was lacking, but he was simply lazy, which Gikwang was clearly aware of.

Meanwhile, Gikwang and Yoona were both still waiting for the final reports. They had been going back around the city since they arrived, and he used the excuse of needing to look for something to allow her to sleep while he drove around the city. When the reports had been finalized, he went to take them and was looking through them in silence. There weren't much new details worth waking her up to discuss about.

He found it very amusing though, watching her sleep since Yoona would mumble some stuff out from time to time. And even if there were, he wouldn't. When she suddenly woke up from her nap, she widden her eyes after noticing Gikwang silently reading the reports seriously.

"B...Boss." She called out awkwardly. Herself couldn't believe she actually fell asleep besides the team leader... Now she can simply burry herself alive right there! 

"We're not in the office, you don't need to call me "Boss" or "Team Leader"." He said and flipped the page of the file. 

Yoona let out a ha ha before mumbling to hself, "I actually don't even know how to call you..." 

Gikwang closed the file in his hands and turned to her. She realized Gikwang's ears might be superhuman, how did he hear her? "You used to call me AJ, oppa, Kwang-i, whatever you like." Yoona blinked a few times hearing his words and cleared . She was flustered by his words, and before anything could show, she turned away. 

At that moment, she wanted to slap herself, why did she turn away. Yet again, if she didn't, she woudn't know how to answer anyways. "Im Yoona, how pitiful are you." She thought to herself. And how is Gikwang so different when he was in the office and now.... does he have some sort of personality disorder? 

Gikwang smiled to himself before he gave her the file, "We will head to Incheon tomorrow morning. I will come pick you up. Read this now that you're awake." He said and she nodded taking the file into her hands.

***

When Yoona came back home, she was dead tired. On the way back, she was told that now since she had already gone out to crime scenes, she will be following Yoonkwon and him tomorrow. Joowan had been waiting for his sister to come back and seeing her doing overtime already isn't pleasing him at all. 

“Can’t you say something to Gikwang? Like to let you go earlier?” Yoona’s brother suddenly asked from the kitchen.

Hearing that, Yoona laughed at the suggestion, "Oppa. We'r not working in a hotel nor your company. It doesn't work like that." 

"Don't worry. When you get tired of the job, come to the company.“ The brother said and turned to his sister. “Don’t forget you have an annual check up for your lower body, and..”

”The appointment is in 3 days.” She finished for his nagging brother. “I know. I will let the HR know.”

———

Joowan stood in front of the windows the next morning and squinted his eyes at the car stopped by the roadside of the house, “I am not liking what I see.” He whispered and Yoona was getting ready, still. He cleared his throat and decided to go out, to see what was up with that car. When he opened the door of the house, Gikwang got out of the car, surprising Yoona's brother, "What was he doing here?" Was what came through his mind.

"Hyung, good morning."

"What is that? Why does it seem like you're here to announce your marriage with my sister?" He asked and received a hit from the back from Yoona, "OUCH!" He screamed out, while Yoona glared at him. 

"Don't spout nonsense." She warned and Joowan purse his lips, nodding.

"Another time perhaps?" Gikwang suddenly replied hich flustered Yoona, making her choke. Joowan laughed and nodded. 

"I love you. No wonder my sister never dated anyone..." He received another punch on his back by Yoona. Joowan motioned that he will be silent from now. 

------

On the way to Incheon, the car ride was yet again silent. "Have you been able to sleep well?" Asked Gikwang suddenly and Yoona nodded. 

"You seemed to be sleeping late, or following irregular sleeping hours." She commented and Gikwang nodded.

"It has been quite busy these days since this acid incident. As soon as the case is closed, I can sleep peacefully." He replied and Yoona nodded. 

"Take care of yourself. It's not good to have irregular sleeping hours." She replied and he chuckled. 

"Let's get a meal together once this case is closed." He suggested and she turned to him in confusion. "You don't remember what I told you 3 years ago? It still applies now." His words made Yoona flustered. She didn't know why he suddenly was so bold with his feelings.. not that she was complaining, but he was really straightforward so suddenly. 

***

It was the middle of the day, so students were in class, which was perfect for their investigation. Joon was interrogating the students that travelled from Incheon to Yeon District and Seoul respectively with Joon. While they wait for all them to drop by the office, Yoona and Yoonkwon were looking around the classrooms, especially the laboratories. Baram, after meeting with Gikwang, was looking at the craft store, which possible was where the acid was bought from.

"Something seems off..." Yoona commented and looked around, which Yoonkwon wondered what was. "Why hasn't one of the students arrived? School had started already..." She told him and stopped to think for a bit. "Do you think the culprit held him/her as hostage?" She hadn't heard of the testimonies yet, and didn't know what was going on, but suddenly she had this feeling, this sudden guess...

"Hostage?" Yoonkwon asked. 

He didn't know what to do of her because he had heard a lot from his friends from the police academy in the UK. This woman called Im Yoona surprisingly predicts events and crimes as if she was the one overseeing it. Many had been scared of her because while she told them any information, her face would always remain emotionless. And he now knew wha they meant by that. She showed no emotion when she worked. Like a doll. 

"We have to tell Boss about it." He suggested and Yoona simply nodded. 

Joon and Gikwang were in an empty classroom, where 4 students were gathered. They seemed to know, or not, what was happening. Gikwang was leaning against a desk, while Joon was asking questions, but they seemed to be more worried about something else than paying attention to the questioning. Feeling a little more impatient, Gikwang approached the group of students. 

"Judging from your faces, something might have happened." He commented and the students felt like thier breaths had been cut off. "And if it is related to the person that have been causing troubles in Yeon district and Seoul. I can help, but only if you guys cooperate..."

"To tell the truth... we are scared." A student called Kim Jaehyuk. "... Our group is formed by Minjae. And.. we might have gone too far, treating one of the students back then... now there's this guy whose back to avenge his brother."

It all started 2 years ago. There was this guy called Heo Joonmyeon who... simply got on our nerves. He doesn't speak when we talk to him, he was simply weird. Apparently he was talking to himself in the men' washroom while everyone else was in class. During examinations, he would be whispering some incomprehensible words after being done with his test... 

We decided to scare him a little bit, the next term, so he could just.. be a little more considerate of the people around and refrain himself from doig anything that bothered us all. And so... we locked him up, in a storage room while he was on duty after school. Little did we know... it caught on fire. No one died... but was heavily injured. It turned out that this Heo Joonmyeon was socially awkward and even might have some social anxiety disorder (SAD). He didn't have any friends because of that... We felt extremely bad and when we decided to apologize, we witnessed the most regretful scene of our lives. He committed suicide right at the hospital. He had always have troubles with people. He lost his parents at young age and only his brother and him were left, at one of their relatives' house.

Now that we graduated from high school and got into University, there is this one student who got transferred here few weeks ago, that looked extremely like Joonmyeon. His name was Heo JongHyuk. Extremely smart guy who worked in the laboratory. But it turned out that he was Joonmyeon's brother. Once we found it out... he became crazy. He swore to us that he will take revenger for his brother. 

We dicided to go away for a bit during our reading week. And he followed us.. I don't know how he knew about our trip.. but we knew he was dead serious. And there in Yeon District and Seoul, he caused a big scene. 

One we were back last night, we went on our separate way. We saw how things have affected other people, and so we needed to bring into light what really happened. Our leader, Minjae... he had a lot of connections with people, and so this guy, about Joonmyeon's death... he never received a proper apology nor justice. This morning we received a call from school, wo told us that the police had trcaked us down and needed our cooperation. And it was also then... Minjae hadn't answer at all. 

"You're saying he is held hostage?" Asked Joon and the 4 students nodded.

End of 005 -finding the culprit and our hostage.-