004

Happiness' End

Yoona was yet again in the photocopy room, drinking a cup of coffee and thought about how the day quickly went by. Although she had been doing office work. She remained a little longer in the office while others had already left to go home. She was told that, as long as everything is done properly, she could leave. Yet, she still wanted to look around. Yoona wanted to get to know the environment she was in. 

When she walked out of the printing room, she ran right into Gikwang, who was however, a little bit unfocused on what he was doing or heading to. He stared at her before he lightly smiled, taking confident steps towards her. She stepped back wondering what was wrong with him, before the smell of alcohol reached her.

”You... drank?” She asked even if she didn’t really need to. What was the occasion, so special for him to be drinking? Gikwang wasn’t really answering and before he took another step, Yoona’s back hit the wall behind her and he leaned forward, putting his arm against the wall, staring down at her. She gulped and lowered her head. ‘This is bad... Not when he has a girlfriend!’ She thought to herself. He lowered his head and she pushed him away from his chin, which Gikwang then rested his chin on her shoulder. 

“Im Yoona...” He called and mumbled incomprehensible words. She was flustered for a moment but still managed to compose herself again and push him away. 

“You better gather yourself. You have a girlfriend, don’t do something that will make you regret later. And I certainly do not want to be the third person in this matter.” She warned him and walked away. She stopped walking and decided to at least help him to head to his office.

———

Gikwang opened his eyes and it was still very dark outside. The clock on the wall was ticking and he realized how the alcohol had reached him. He rarely drank, but he couldn’t refuse his father either. ‘Hold on...’ He thought and remembered Yoona’s words. ‘What does she mean girlfriend? I don’t have a girlfriend...’ And he remembered how Joon was asking about it last week. He realized rumours coming from them might have reached her. His face became dark. ‘I will make sure to let him know the consequences of it.’ He laid on the couch and realized that even if he had an apartment, he often spent the night at his office. ‘Do I seem like the type to not keep my words? I have certainly told you I would wait.’ He thought, staring at the ceiling.

He sat up and decided that he wouldn’t spend the night in his office tonight, but rather head back to his apartment, which was almost empty. He walked out and noticed there was some light in his team’s office place. “Boss!” Joon called out and Gikwang’s expression turned gloomy. “What are you doing here?” The subordinate asked, although noticing the strange expression in his eyes.

”Clear the rumours—I don’t have a girlfriend.” He said and Joon looked at his team leader with confused expressions. “Get going.” He said and Gikwang continued his way, remembering that he didn’t drive.

”Wait, Boss!” Joon shouted and chased after him, wanting to ask further more about his personal life, which Gikwang always avoid to share about (his romantic life). “What do you mean by that?” He asked and Gikwang ignored him. Hoon chased after his Boss and pffered him a ride home, since they lived closed to each other anyways, and smelling the faint alcohol smell on him, Joon knew, after working for 5 years with him now, that Gikwang had a few cups with his father.

”Then whose picture was on your screen? 

———

When Yoona arrived at the police station, on the way here, when there was still no one around. She just came back from visiting some of the stores that sold helium tanks. And surprisingly, the culprit might not have bought his materials in Yeon District. Gikwang was the first to come out of his office to the working space of his team, holding a file, and when seeing her, he decided to explain the rumours that were going on. He was at work right now, but last night, he spent time thinking about that, and he simply knew he gotta do what he had to do. When he arrived this morning, everyone was already out and so he didn't have a chance to talk to Yoona.

"Yoona.." He called before he was stopped by the ring of his cellphone. Damn it. Usually he had his phone on silent, but guess today's the only exception. That one day in a year where he forgot (for some reasons) to put it back to silent.

"Whatever." He simply said, reading the name off the screen and hung up. Yoona was looking at him and slightly laughed. "There are some misunderstandings... stupid ones... that need to be cleared. Not that I..." He tried to explain from where he was cut off by the phone call, but it seemed like without his bossy, cold demeanor, he was unable to speak?

"I know." She said and he turned to look at her indifferent face. "You explained to me yesterday." She continued and gave him a copy of her finalized analysis of the case.

"What do you mean?" Gikwang asked and reproached her for being so cold-hearted, when he was trying to explain the entire misunderstanding to her, she handed him a work document?

"When I helped you heading back to your office, I heard enough of the explanation. It was more truthful than it could ever be." She said and before he could asked what he told her, the phone of the office rang.

Frowning, Gikwang went to pick up the phone, knowing that a call to this office never meant something good was happening. And from what Yoona said yesterday, Gikwang can 100% bet that another acid-throwing and stabbing case had occurred. And this time, it might have been more chaotic. 

"Severe Crime Unit." He announced and quickly, his eyebrows knit together and when he hung up, only Yoona was here as early. "Change of plans, I guess you will be going to the scenes earlier than expected." He said and his usual detective demeanor was back. Serious and cold. But still very charming. He rushed out of the office, followed by Yoona. On their way to the parking lot, Hoon and Baram arrived. 

"Find as much details as possible concerning the report Yoona wrote. We have been called to Seoul, another case had happened. And this time we might have found a very crucial witness." Gikwang said and like this, the two of them disappeared. Hoon who was staring, still half-asleep, suddenly was completely awake and turned around to watch his boss hurrying to his car with Yoona by his sides. 

His eyes widden, "No wonder she looked familiar... SHE is sister-in-law..." Baram hit her boyfriend's back of the head. 

"Yah. Stop daydreaming and get to work." Before he could even discuss what realization he came up with, Baram was already walking away and refused to listen to any nonsense he was about to spout. Yet, Joon was certain about Yoona's identity. She was the same girl from 3 years ago, during that operation, when 3 people, including Gikwang, almost got shot by a snipper. That one time, where Gikwang used his entired body to cover Yoona, so she wouldn’t get hurt. How didn’t he remember her?!

———

The drive to Seoul wasn’t long. But it wasn’t... how to say, filled with conversations. Gikwang and Yoona sat at the car, and were silent the whole time. Who knew what they were thinking? Yet, with the misunderstandings cleared, Gikwang was a little more relieved and truthfully, Yoona was pretty relieved too, especially with the explanation he received from Gikwang yesterday night.

”Since the case has now touched Seoul, we bear a bigger responsibility while Investigating. There are also reasons why I wanted you to stay at the office for a bit before coming to the crime scene, because there are unspoken rules out there. 1) In a crime scene, you are with a partner anytime, which usually is me. 2) Never act on your own, even if you’re the best fighter or aimer. 3) People are more important. Follow me closely at all times since it is your first time in a crime scene. This is not a simulation, it is more realistic.”

She nodded, mentally noting all these down. Hey eyes were focused on the road in front of her, and the silence, that settled in afterwards wasn’t uncomfortable, rather, it felt good.

“We would be probably collaborating with Seoul’s police force. I don’t know if we would be able to come back tonight, you should prevent your brother.” She nodded. Before she thought the conversation would stop here once and for all, he continued, “Have you been well?”

She turned to him, "Yes." She hesitated before she continued, "And thank you. Sangchoon-sunbaenim really helped me out a lot." 

"Don't thank me. Even if I asked, if you aren't worth the help, he won't listen to me. It's because of your efforts." He said and silence fell upon them again. This time, with no other subjects coming up. In fact, wouldn't asking too much be weird?! That was what was going through Gikwang's mind. Of course, he wanted to ask about her relationship with that.... Dongwoon. 

For Yoona, she really didn't know what to ask about. She was a rather indifferent and introvert person, which wasn't any different than the cold detective Gikwang. Luckily, Gikwang's phone started to ring which made the ride finally less silent. He answered the call through the bluetooth of his car, "Lee Gikwang speaking." 

"It's me." It was their Chief division, Yang Insung, also Joon's father.

"Yes Chief."

"Since you're already on the way to Seoul, you already what was happening. It is decided that both S.C.U. unit decided to join force to close this case. While you're there, do your best. I have received the news that the Leader of Seoul's team is currently at the hospital getting all the testimonies. You guys should go there first, his name is Song Joongki." 

"Yes."

The traffic was a little heavy since it was still the middle of the day but it still held them into the highway. While in traffic, all boradcast stations and radios had relayed the incident that happened in Seoul Downtown. When the call ended, Gikwang decided to call his team, since he needed to check something. "Joon. Baram. Be on standby for my orders. Within the next couple of hours, I need the lists of stores where the culprit might have purchased his weapons." 

----

All witnesses had been brought for treatments at Seoul University Hospital and it was quite a mess in there. Some were being interrogated while other were being treated. There were people screaming in pain, others gritting their teeth. Yoona was quietly watching the scene and simply didn't know what to feel. Gikwang looked around to find the Leader, the one he will be collaborating with for this case, and Yoona motioned him to head to a specific direction. "Detective Song." She whispered. 

They approached the detective that Yoona think would be the boss which certainly was, who seemed to be lecturing the young woman in front of him. "Oppa..." The lady called out, but Gikwang was in a hurry to get going with the case, since he had to visit the crime scene after.

"Detective Song, am I right?" Joongki turned to the origin of the voice. Gikwang finally understood why Yoona think he would be the leader of the Seoul's team. The aura of a leader. "Lee Gikwang, leader of the S.C.U. team from Yeon District." 

"Song Joongki." And both leaders shook hands. "I have heard of you. It is a pleasure to meet you." Yoona noticed the young lady disappearing but didn't say anything. They will meet her again afterwards anyway. 

"Without wasting time, here is what happened." Joongki summarized the entire case shortly, without dragging to much, mentioning the right details and crucial points of the case. "I will leave you a file of all testimonies by the end of the day. However, there is this one witness who came upon the culprit and even tried to catch him..." He turned to see Eunji missing. Joongki let out a faint exasperation sigh. "Whom I have to look for again." 

Now this was interesting. A witness who came accross the culprit. Nevertheless, their criminal's profile can finally be confirmed and finalized. Gikwang threw glances at Yoona who was focused at the scene around her. He couldn't really tell, from her indifferent face, what she was thinking about, but, everyone had been at her place, and so he said, "Since Yoonkwan is not here today, it is your chance to take this opportunity to learn." 

She nodded and turned to him. He noticed the faint fire in her eyes, the will to work. The spirit of a detective. He smiled to himself before a voice cut in, "Detective Lee, this is our crucial witness. Park Eunji."

"Lee Gikwang." Gikwang said, "This is our Criminal Psychologist Im Yoona. Since Ms. Park had came accross the culprit we are looking for, it will be a chance for us to update our criminal's preliminary profile." He briefly explained and Eunji nodded. 

***

There was a lot of detour panels placed around the city of Seoul, and the patrol division had been scattered throughout the city around the crime scene to direct the traffic. Luckily, with his sirens, Gikwang was able to pass through the traffic quicker than it would have been for citizens. Reporters were there, citizens had gathered around, while some police officers tried to prevent anyone from crossing the yellow tapes and metal barriers. Most of the injured had been brought to the hospital and what were left there was really the residues of balloons and acid scattered around the place. 

Yoona was following Gikwang who showed his ID to the police and the police officers saluted before letting him enter the scene. The first thing Gikwang did was looking around the scene and wondered why did their culprit went from Yeon District to Seoul? Both scenes were pretty much similar to each other. Yet, why did it seemed like he was following a particular route? 

"Boss..." Yoona called out. "The culprit might be targeting specific group of people, his schoolmates. There has to be a school, that visited Yeon District and Seoul." That was exactly what he was thinking about. But she put it in a more specific way.

He then called the office, "Incheon. Look out for this area." Seeing the motorcycle marks on the ground, he was sure one of the witnesses at the scene had came into contact with their culprit. The situation might have been the same, yet this time, the guy they were looking for committed his crime during the day. Yet, how come no one reported to them yet? He turned to a building, "Ms. Park definitely mentioned hearing a helicopter-like sound..." He said and smiled. He knew how the crime was committed. Very brilliant he gotta admit. 

End of 004 -seeing the end of a case.-


Side note: For those who follow Another Truth, Park Eunji and Song Joongki are the characters of that story (also written by me), they aren't randomly added! Next up: finding our culprit and hostage. Yes. A hostage. Stay tuned for future updates!