001

Happiness' End

It was a bright Sunday morning and Yoona had dragged her brother to go hiking with her. Jaekyeon and her stepmother refused to join and so only Joowan was left (which he wasn't given any chances to refuse). She was about to start work tomorrow and she didn't know what to expect. In fact, when she was accepted into the SEvere Crime Unit despite her lack of experiences, she was dumbfounded. And also, she would meet him. "Yoona-ah... Can we stop for a bit?" Her brother asked and she turned to him. 

"Oppa, we are almost at the top." She said and with a sigh, her brother followed. After another 15 minutes of hike, they were finally at the top. What she loved about their district was that there were a little more greens and was closer to nature, something she've missed out for a big part of her life. She heard her brother catching his breath but quickly recovered, after seeing the amazing view in front of him. Further beyond the little hills was Seoul. On the sides were the Nam River. 3 years. Yoona could say a lot has changed but yet not really. It was her who changed the most. She nodded to herself which her brother stopped her by ruffling her hair. She had always concealed her thoughts in her and simply spent all her time thinking and thinking, coming up with conclusions. 

For Joowan, his little sister was precious. If 3 years ago, Dongwoon haven’t already prepared everything to leave to the UK with her, he would be the one going with her. He always had troubles getting through her thoughts, and he perfectly knew it was in her character. Even before her accident 11 years ago, she had always kept everything her. She was like their mother. A person who spent more time thinking than speaking up her heart to others. Luckily, meeting their father changed this part of her. Their father and her was able to easily understand each other without the need for words. And he knew he had set this goal in his own life when finding his life-long partner. Someone with whom words didn’t need to be expressed every single time. He wished though that her sister would tell him anything whenever she wanted it. He was the only one left besides their stepmother and stepsister who doesn’t have any blood relation to them. He wanted her to be safe and sound. And happy. Then he thought of something. 

“Yoona-ah. I have a call to make, stay put alright?” 

“Brother.” She said with a sigh. “I am not a child.” He walked off laughing at her comment, and took out his phone. Yoona was still stretching and started to think again. She noticed from far a familiar figure walking up to them, and it was none other than Dongwoon. "Dongwoon Oppa." She waved and the young man happily waved back. "What are you doing this early in the morning awake?" She asked. 

"Yah, Im Yoona! That was what I asked myself this morning when you woke me up!" Her brother yelled from her sides and she simply shrugged. Dongwoon came up to them and patted his hyung's shoulder. 

“It is all about habits Hyung.” He said and Joowan rolled his eyes, complaining how Dongwoon only stood on Yoona’s side. He though made his way besides his sister and looked at the scenery with her. “This is what keep us coming back up though. Nature. Scenery.” Dongwoon said and Yoona agreed with him. He watched her being so focused in her thoughts and wondered what she could be possibly thinking. She was starting work tomorrow and he knew how much she was excited for it. For the very first time she was finally able to step out of her comfort zone and move forward with no longer the need of his help compared to 3 years ago. It sadden him but also made him proud. His responsibilities were done. All he can do now was simply be the good friend he was. “Now. Stop thinking. You’re frowning so much that you’re getting wrinkles!” He said and rubbed the place between her eyes. 

She glared at him before she let out a small laugh. “Fine. Let’s go now brother. I am pretty sure your next conplaint is how hungry you are?” She asked and Joowan nodded in agreement. 

“I was about to get started on this subject.” He said and Yoona pulled him with her. 

“Brother you’ve became like an ahjumma, constantly nagging others.” She said and Dongwoon laughed at the comment which made Joowan pout. “Annoying then?” She asked and laughed. Of course, Yoona still had a childish and happy side of her which she showed to her brother the most who treated her as his own child. He was simply 7 years older than her, but still, he grew up being taught that he had to protect his sister no matter what. He didn’t complain about that. Sometimes he even wished that she could annoy him more with everything about her. Yoona regained her composure and cleared . 

Her brother amused by her change of emotions ruffled her hair. “Chill. We’re outside of work. There aren’t criminals here.” He said and took a deep breath. “Since you’ve just made my day, breakfast’s on me.”

”Let’s grab the most expensive breakfast here.” Yoona told Dongwoon who laughed at the suggestion. With that, they all hiked back down together, and headed to grab breakfast afterwards.

———

Yoona was and is still very particular with the time she gets up, eat, and go out. Also very concerned with the meal she takes and the amount of it. Maybe Joowan had really considered himself as her father hut everything she does simply amused him. Their parents had him when they were simply in their teenage years and luckily, didn’t affect much their mother’s career. While their mother returned to school after her pregnancy, their father stayed home. Then their father took over the family business, and exceedingly stepped into the high society’s business world while it was about to fail preciously. When Yoona was born, Joowan was already old enough to understand everything around him. At 8, Yoona once asked Joowan why he was smoking. He never wanted to expose Yoona to that nor his parents. She had always been frail and it was her eyes that demonstrated her strong will and determination, perseverance. He didn’t know how to respond her because there wasn’t really a reason for him to do so. He simply did it because others around him did. And it was also that time when he knew Yoona was way more mature and thoughtful than the rest of her age.

”Oppa. Knowing that it isn’t good for your health, but still does it could simply mean that subconsciously you either feel lonely, stressed about stuff happening around you. Could be because of identity crisis, anxiety...”

”It’s good.” He said and let out an amused laugh. Their parents had always been busy but despite that, managed to spend time with them whenever they could. Yet, Joowan still felt a little lonely and useless. But he found a purpose that day. Yoona. She was still growing and was spending a lot more time with him than their parents. If he didn’t show a good example, it would affect her. Either her views or even herself as a person. He threw the head of his cigarette and ruffled her hair. “Well, seems like my sister doesn’t like me smoking.”

”I don’t.” She replied and still smiled despite the firmness in her voice. He wondered if she was making fun of him but with years, he realized she wasn’t. It was simply her way of trying to be friendly, warm, despite the usual cold behaviour she has. Maybe it was because she grew up with him, she could sometimes take on a similar personality to his, a fun outgoing, childish Yoona, which sometimes he could see himself in her. 

“Hyung.” Dongwoon called out and Joowan snapped back into reality then smiled realizing he was lost in his own thoughts. He also needed to agree that sometimes, maybe, when he showed his serious side, like contemplating something about work, he was lost in his thoughts so deeply that he simply froze on his spot. Was it also him whom she watched too much, and took on those habits? But she thought more than him. “What are you thinking about?” He asked and the brother shook his head. 

“Nothing. Just realized how I’m actually Yoona’s father figure.” And he laughed at her shocked eyes while the rest of her face remained the same. 

“Wait. There’s something on your face.” Dongwoon said and picked up a tissue paper before removing the lash that fell on her cheek. “A lash.” He said and wiped it away. 

———

“Team leader! I heard you have a girlfriend? That was what Yoonkwon told us few days ago.” Joon, the hacker of the team, as he walked up to Gikwang and his Doojoon, who was here with the team today just for fun, shook his head. His girlfriend, Baram wanted to facepalm herself. Joon had always been someone who was really outgoing if he were to be compared to Gikwang, he was extremely outgoing and spoke up without really looking at the situation. The detective turned to gis teammate, and then looked at Yoonkwon who avoided at all price eyes contact.

“Seems like as soon as one case’s closed, we have a lot of time for gossiping.” He commented and looked at all of s. “Practice your shooting rather than meddling into my life.” He said and his lips curled up. “I don’t think you wanna to meddle with my life. I will make your life hard.” He said in a threatening voice to tease them. His team laughed and Doojoon passed an arm around his friend’s shoulders.

“Sister-in-Law huh?” He asked and Gikwang hit his friend’s abdomen area.

”I will kill you if you continue to call her that.” And Doojoon lifted up his hands in surrender. 

"No but seriously dude. How can you... both of you actually... do nothing for 2 years. Not even a single email. Nor a phone call. Nothing. Nada." He asked with a lowered voice so they could avoid anymore troubles from Gikwang's teammates who were very curious about their mysterious cold leader who seemed to only finally show some human emotions lately. Of course none of them would want to ruin his good mood. Because when he wasn't in a good mood, he was colder than the North Pole. Very hard to approach. 

"I've told you a million of times for the last 3 years that we both aren't considering the relationship yet. That we will both focus on our goals before something else steps in." He said again in exhaustion. Doojoon was someone who approached love in a different way than Gikwang. While Doojoon prefer pursuing and give his all in doing so, Gikwang was the one who stayed behind the scene and simply waited for "the timing"'s right. And provide complete freedom to the other party, in the sense that, in order to pursue their own goals, they could just suddenly stop contacting each other. Or in Gikwang's case, other things came before feelings. 

"It's very nice of you to be so considerate to her career and yours. And before you know it, she must've already moved on. Or someone else could've grabbed the chance you decided to keep for later." Doojoon said. "Don't forget, traitor Son is with her.... and..." He stopped his detective friend from walking and pointed at the dining hall, where Yoona, her brother and Donwoon were having breakfast together. And they arrived, coincidentally, to when Donwoon used a paper tissue to wipe away a lash from her cheek. She backed up a bit upon her friend’s sudden action but this simply amused Dongwoon who smiled.

"Boo-ya." He whispered to his friend's ear to annoy him, and to trigger him and quickly gained a glare from Gikwang. The detective continued his way, ignoring everything but Doojoon knew how he was feeling: jealousy. And this was what he wanted. He let out a victorious laugh, slowing his steps down, and followed his friend with the others from behind and now the rest all wondered why there was a sudden change in their team leader's aura.

"Party's over. Your sister-in-law broke your boss' happy mood." Doojoon said and there, the team could now be sure that their leader was actually dating.

"Sister-in-law?" They asked and Doojoon nodded. 

"Gikwang's your leader. You're the gang, the team, the brothers (and a sister). That's how you call Gikwang's girlfriend... wife... however you want to call her." He explained and they all nodded. 

"Hyung, about sister-in-law... how does she look like?" Yoonkwon asked and Doojoon was very happy that this fellow teammate of Gikwang is that curious. He whispered something to him, hile the others who were also curious but refrained themselves from asking anything in case they get into trouble, especially Joon who was as curious as Yoonkwon but had received a warning from Gikwang earlier. 

"You will find out when you will be able to see who could make your boss go crazy." Doojoon said and walked away. Right. Gikwang needed a push and if he wasn't going to give his friend a push, then this bachelor friend of his will turn into ashes even before he could ask Yoona out. Right. He will help him a little bit.

End 001- I will help you make the first move.-