interlude i: doubt

Dear My Darlings
 
Date:  31st May 2018
Chapter:  6
Title:  interlude i: doubt
Notes:  d-did i just break the 4th wall?
Credit:  < a tori creation >
 
15th September 2018

First of all, what? thought Junmyeon as he closed the diary.

What he had been reading for the past thirty minutes felt like fiction to him. Some sort of fanfiction that he would stumble upon just to see what the fans have been up to. He was beginning to think some dreamy-eyed fan sent her fanfiction for him to read. An alternate universe? A universe where her brother and mother are alive but there is no EXO? He read plenty of fanfiction about that already. Nothing new to him. Was this a prank of some sorts? Was it just to see his reaction?

He shook his head and went back to the dorm, still holding onto the diary. For some reason, he was somewhat... entertained. If this was really a fanfiction, it sure did tickle his interest with the sudden twist. He was going to find this girl. While he drove home, he was coming up with a plan. Find her and try to confirm if she really did send in her diary-slash-fanfiction.

Once he was in the dorm, Minseok, Jongdae, Baekhyun, and Sehun were already there relaxing in the living room. "Hey," greeted him simultaneously. 

"Hey," he said back.

"How are you?" asked Minseok.

"A fan sent something," he said as he took a seat next to Jongdae on the couch.

He showed them Maya's diary and Sehun took it, eyeing it with thorough curiosity. Sehun opened it and started reading the first page, which was Maya's first letter to them.

"Maya's sweet, huh?" he commented with a little grin.

Minseok, Jongdae, and Baekhyun read the letter over Sehun's shoulder. They chuckled and commented about the poetic letter on the first page of the diary. Then, they continued to read and Junmyeon was waiting for their reactions. The four read the entries that was read so far by Junmyeon and then they returned it to the latter with eyebrows knitted in confusion.

"Phony, right?" asked Junmyeon.

"It sounded like it," replied Minseok.

"Well, if our fans make stuff like this, this shouldn't be a surprise," said Baekhyun. "Besides, she's kinda entertaining."

"Who's this Maya girl though?" asked Jongdae.

"Same question I've been asking myself when I read it the first time," answered Junmyeon.

He noticed that Sehun was silent. The youngest EXO member didn't answer to any of Junmyeon's questions. It seemed as if Sehun was lost in thought as he stared at a blank space and tapping his thigh with his fingers. When no one said anything about Maya and her diary, Junmyeon took it as a cue to head back to his room. He took off his coat and sat down on his chair by his desk. He opened his laptop and typed in his password. He started to type in the search engine.

 

maya

 

The links popping up were everything that didn't seem to be the Maya he was looking for. It only contained links for a computer application named Maya, locations with the name Maya, and fictional characters named Maya. And he certainly wasn't looking for Maha Maya. He started to type again.

 

maya korea

 

No, he didn't mean the singer named Maya either.

He tried searching Maya in social networking sites which was a very stupid idea to begin with. There were countless people named Maya, especially ones outside Korea. Who knows? Maybe this Maya is a foreigner living in Korea or she's taking a vacation in Korea at the moment and dropped her diary in the mailbox. The possibilities were endless and it made Junmyeon's head ache with all his thoughts running everywhere. Not only that but with the question about Maya actually existing.

Then, the door opened to reveal Sehun. "The rest of the members came back with Chinese takeout. You hungry?"

Right at the youngest's last word, Junmyeon's stomach grumbled loudly. The two men laughed and Junmyeon closed his laptop. He stood up from his chair and walked with Sehun to the dining room.

"She sounded sad," said Sehun randomly. "Maya, I mean."

"Are you believing her or something?" asked Junmyeon.

"It's not that I believe her. It's just that... she made me feel something. You get me?" answered Sehun.

Junmyeon sighed but he silently agreed to what Sehun said. Maya definitely made him feel something and it's what left him conflicted to say if she was telling the truth or letting her imagination go wild. All nine members of EXO were at the dining table, chatting happily while eating black bean noodles and sweet and sour pork. However, none of the members who were home early that evening mentioned Maya and her diary.

While munching on his bowl of black bean noodles, a little voice in the back of Junmyeon's head told him to read more of the diary tomorrow. He reluctantly agreed as he went to sleep hours later.