prologue

Dear My Darlings
 
Date:  28th May 2018
Chapter:  1
Title:  prologue
Notes:  gonna kickstart whatever is in my mind with this
Credit:  < a tori creation >
 
15th September 2018

The autumn sun peeked through the blinds of Junmyeon's and Sehun's shared dorm. The light forced Junmyeon out of his sleep with a groan and gets up groggily. He rubbed his eyes and swept the duvet off his body. He got off his bed and walked to the kitchen for breakfast. He fixed himself with instant oatmeal with an apple and a glass of orange juice. Junmyeon dug in slowly, still sleepy from last night's schedule which led him to sleep at two in the morning. He finished the bowl and downed the orange juice and then put them in the sink.

Junmyeon lazily sat down on the L-shaped couch of their dorm, mind still blank about what to do for today. He was the only one left in the dorm while the others had their own activities. The more time passed, the more he felt alone. He could hear the silence of the whole dorm, feel the chill of the season, and little by little he felt weight come down on his shoulders. The past months had been hard for him and the rest of s. The tour, the comeback, more projects, and the same old backlash they would get. He laid down on the couch debating whether to open his phone or not.

With a sigh after a few minutes, he reached into the pocket of his sweatpants and took out his phone. He pushed the button to turn it on and he types his passcode. He tapped on the Naver app to see what is the news of EXO. He typed in the search key and pressed 'Enter.' He scrolled down to see some current news about EXO, more articles about s' activities, and there were even posts of praise. His thumb stopped scrolling and then he sees something that stood out like a sore thumb amongst everything displayed on his phone.

"Another one," he sighed. 

It was another hate article. It had the clickbait title. Out of curiosity, Junmyeon tapped the link to see what it was about. It was the usual kind of article that only gave a 'half-truth' as he called it. He scrolled down to see the comments and he saw so many negative ones and arguments going back and forth to see who knew better. He kept on scrolling with the tiniest hope that he would see a comment that would lighten his heart a bit.

This had become a habit of his since the past months. Looking himself up, see articles, and then read the negative comments. It was consuming him and he can't seem to get out of it. He knows he's not supposed to respond back and let everything happen. But letting it happen didn't mean letting it go. He still felt the painful sting of all the words displayed on his phone and he could only fight from succumbing to them and lose his mind.

He had to stop. With shaky hands, he switched off his phone and immediately put it back into his pocket. He rested his palm on his forehead and closed his eyes. His eyebrows knit together as he tried to calm himself down. He got out of the couch and saw black dots clouding his vision. He stared into a space until his vision is clear again. He went back to his room and gathered some clothes, planning to go out for a walk. He then stripped off his sleepwear and stepped into the shower. The cold water cooled his head from his short headache a while ago. Then, he got ready and headed out the door. He opened the mailbox first to check if there was any mail. Aside from the usual bill notices, he saw something else.

Slowly, Junmyeon picked up the object. It was a black book with a minimalist silver design on the cover that is what seems to be a constellation. The sides of the paper were painted silver and there was a black ribbon for a bookmark, resting in between the first and second page.

"What in the...?" Junmyeon muttered under his breath.

Who in the world would leave a book here? Curiously, he opened the book and read the first page.

 

 

Dear my darlings,

 

     The world is full of strangers who are full of cruelty and hate towards each other. 

     But there will always be people who love deeply in hopes to save the world.

 

                                                                                                                          With all my heart,

                                                                                                                                                 Maya

 

 

"What a poetic girl," Junmyeon commented, the left corner of his lips perking up slightly.

He skimmed through the pages of the book. His eyes picked up dates, the pronoun 'I,' and then her signature. A diary, he concluded but why is she leaving something so personal here? And what was more confusing is that it was as if she meant to give it to someone. Surely not him. Maybe one of the members but no one ever mentioned someone named 'Maya.' He searched for some sort of information about Maya. A contact number, an email address, anything. However, he found none. His curiosity kept poking at him. From her letter at the beginning he felt like it was as if it was meant for him. He sighed and ultimately decided to take it with him.

Junmyeon drove to Han River. He put on his black mask and cap before taking the diary and exiting the car. He walked first as he was meant to do earlier. The movement of the water calmed him from what he saw on his phone a while ago. The sun was up and bright but the air was cool. The perfect temperature for him. He stopped and looked at the diary again, still questioning it and himself. Whose idea was it to leave it in the mail? Should he really be reading someone else's diary?

Nevertheless, with just a twinge of guilt, he sat down on a nearby bench and opened the black book. He turned the page and read the very first line that were the same lines in the first page.

 

 

Dear my darlings...