Chapter 9

Think of You

Jinyoung looked at Jackson in shocked, “Jackson what’s the matter with you? Why are you being like this?”

Jackson narrowed his eyes at Jinyoung, “Normally you tell me everything Jinyoungie but everything is private or you pause before you finishing your sentence just like you did earlier.”

“Oh come on Jackson, you don’t tell me everything about your relationship with Jaebum-hyung” Jinyoung scoffed, internally nervously as he was wondering how he could convince Jackson he isn’t hiding anything when he actually is.

Jackson rolled his eyes, “Jinyoung you know I tell you everything, even about me and Jaebum’s life”

“Unnecessarily” Jinyoung muttered 

“Jinyoung why can’t you just tell me the truth?” Jackson sighed

Jinyoung thought for moment; he promised Mark he would ask before sharing his secret with anyone and he’s sure that includes Jackson and Jaebum, no matter how close they are. “Because it’s not something I can share. It shouldn’t come from me but just wait till Mark-hyung comes home and everything will be explained.” 

“What will be explained?” Jaebum asked as he walked into the kitchen

“The truth of Mark-hyung” Jackson answered

Jaebum narrowed his eyes at Jackson, “Jackson you didn’t” 

“I had to!” Jackson yelled, “It’s been bothering me for weeks. Maybe you don’t want to know the truth but I do!”

“Obviously I want to know the truth but only when Jinyoung and Mark-hyung are ready to share! We shouldn’t force them to share anything they don’t want to!” Jaebum yelled back, “Not everyone is as comfortable as you are sharing their entire life.”

Jackson opened his mouth to say more but he knew Jaebum was right so he closed it and pouted, “I just wanted to know” he muttered while rubbing his biceps.

Jaebum sighed and move to hug his boyfriend, “I know but it’s up to them if they want to share.” Jaebum then looked at Jinyoung, “Sorry Jinyoungie but you know how nosy Jackson can be”

Jackson turned his head from Jaebum shoulder, “Sorry Jinyoung” he said

Jinyoung shrugged and turned back around to stir the food, “It’s fine” he mumbled.

Jaebum and Jackson looked at him, Jackson instantly felt bad, “Jinyoungie if I hurt your feelings I really am sorry.”

Jinyoung sighed and turned around to face them, “No I’m not mad, I’m just a little nervous I guess.”

Jaebum tilted his head, “Let’s just wait till Mark-hyung comes home, okay?”

Jackson and Jaebum nodded; Jaebum sat at the kitchen and started playing on his phone while Jackson clinged to Jinyoung arm to make sure he truly wasn’t upset with him even though Jinyoung repeated constantly that he wasn’t. After awhile, Jinyoung finished making dinner and started setting up the table with the couple help and as he placed the last plate of food on the table Mark entered in.

“Babe, you would not believe the afternoon I had” Mark groaned as he took off his shoes. He then noticed the extra sneakers by the door, “Are Jackson and Jaebum here again?” He joked as entered in and saw the three guys sitting at the table.

“What are you trying to say Mark-hyung? We’re not allowed to be here” Jaebum joked 

“Does it really matter? You’ll come here regardless of what I say. As long as Jinyoung and I are together you’ll be sticking around.” Mark laughed

“Wow and here I thought we were friends” Jackson huffed while looking offended.

Jinyoung smiled widely at the scene, momentarily forgetting what occurred almost an hour ago. Mark kissed the temple of Jinyoung head, just before he could sit, Jinyoung stopped him, “Um Mark can I talk to you in the other room for a second.”

Mark nodded and walked first towards the living room; he turned back to Jinyoung with a smile but it slowly disappeared as he noticed Jinyoung looking a little nervous, “Jinyoungie is something wrong?” Jinyoung opened his mouth but closed it and repeated the action till Mark placed a hand on his chin lifting his head, “Baby you know you can tell me anything, what’s wrong?”

Jinyoung took a deep breath and looked at Mark, “Earlier Jackson confronted me about if you truly are a merman”

Mark face remained neutral and for once Jinyoung wished he had his ability to know what he was feeling, “What did you say?”

“I said that it’s best to wait till you get home.” Jinyoung breathed

“Hmm, what lead to this?” Mark asked

“Um” Jinyoung began, “Jackson just noted observations he’s been making from the way the apartment is set up to even when you first met them at the beach party.”

Still Mark looked calm, “How did he seem when he asked?”

Jinyoung gave him a confused look, why was he asking this? Why is he so calm when he should be freaking out about his secret coming out, “Um he was calm but afterwards he was a little upset because I was refusing to completely answer him.”

Mark crossed his arms, “What about Jaebum?”

“He entered in the conversation a little bit later but was angry at Jackson for pushing to me to spill, he said that they should wait till we’re ready to say anything. Jackson seemed to understand and apologized multiple times.” Jinyoung replied 

Mark hummed, “Okay”

Jinyoung looked confused, “Okay? Okay what?”

“Okay we tell them” 

Jinyoung gasped, “Seriously?” 

“Yeah you don’t want to?”

Jinyoung put out his hands and shaked his head, “It’s not that, it just I thought you wouldn’t be more freaked out about this.”

“Not really, I had a feeling, Jaebum and Jackson would be okay with this and would also keep our secret. I mean if they kept hanging out with you even though you thought merman existed and thought I was one, then they must be good people who we can trust.” Mark answered simply

Jinyoung frowned, “I suppose”

Mark smiled at Jinyoung, “Don’t worry baby, everything will be alright” Mark gave him a quick kiss on his lips.

Jinyoung frown deepened, “Stop reading my emotions”

Mark giggled, “I don’t have to when you’re basically wearing your emotion.” Jinyoung pouted as Mark pulled him into the dining room and sat him down before sitting next to him. Mark smiled at the other couple and began taking out his food and everyone else followed. 

Dinner, to say the least, was nerve wreaking. Even though Jackson tried to keep the mood up by talking, it was obvious he was getting anxious as the topic kept changing to the point of where Jinyoung couldn’t even keep up. However Jinyoung was also nervous as he had no idea how to even bring up the subject. 

The only ones that seemed calm was Mark and Jaebum; they either was talking amongst themselves or listening to Jackson’s nonsense. Jinyoung was confused to Mark’s actions but he decided to wait for a better moment to talk to him about it.

While talking to Mark, Jinyoung could see from the corner of his eye Jackson balling his hands to a fist. He was going to explode. It was only a matter of time since it’s was obvious they were talking about Mark’s secret in the other room. For a while Jackson was sitting patiently to hear it but with Mark looking like he wasn’t going to mention it at all; it must’ve gotten on his nerves.

Jinyoung wasn’t sure at all how to keep Jackson calm and it seemed as if he would have to wait till he actually explodes, which surprisingly wasn’t long. “I CAN’T TAKE IT ANYMORE!” Jackson yelled, he stood up from his seat and banged his fist on the table, “Are you going to tell us the truth or what?!”

Jinyoung stared at Mark while he stared at the man, “You know, I always assumed Jaebum was the short tempered of the group” he smiled

Jaebum narrowed his eyes at Mark, “You just can’t let it go, can you?”

Mark giggled, “Not everyday I see a grown man scream at a-”

“WHO THE HELL CARES?! I JUST WANNA KNOW THE TRUTH!!” Jackson screamed

Mark turned back to Jackson and smiled, “I’m a merman”

The table was silent for a moment and Jinyoung wondered what was going on through Jackson and Jaebum’s brain. Jackson nodded his head, “Was that so hard to say?” Jackson smirked

Jinyoung face morphed into surprise, “You’re not surprised to hear this?” He asked

Jackson snorted and shaked his head, “No why would I-” he fainted and the three looked at Jackson body on the floor.

Mark merely shrugged while Jinyoung turned to look worriedly at Jaebum, “He’ll be okay but I guess he’s still surprised about the fact that merman exist” Jaebum answered cooly

“What about you?” Jinyoung asked

“I came to terms with it weeks ago when Jackson first brought it up. If anything I thought it would be hear if merman actually existed.” Jaebum smiled as he got up and carried his boyfriend to living room and laid him down.

Mark and Jinyoung followed after him as he watched to see how long it would take Jackson to recover. Thankfully it wasn’t long and soon Jackson was blinking at the ceiling, “What happened?” he groaned

“You fainted when I told you I was a merman” Mark answered

Jackson sat up and faced him, “So it’s true, you’re actually a merman?” He gaped

Mark walked away to kitchen and when he came back he had a cup of water was in his hand. He sat down on the floor as he placed one finger inside the cup, seconds later he had morphed into merman.

Jackson and Jaebum gasped at the sight, “So you’re actually blonde” Jaebum gaped

Mark laughed, why is his hair color the first thing people notice in his merman form, shouldn’t the tail freak them out? “Only when wet” Mark smirked

Jackson kneeled down next to him and poked his tail with one finger, “It’s real, you’re actually a merman” he whispered

“Yeah he is but you have to promise you won’t tell anybody” Jinyoung frowned

Jaebum patted Jinyoung shoulder, “Don’t worry Jinyoungie, we promise we won’t. Obviously no one should know the truth.”

“Yeah but I gotta ask, how did this happen?” Jackson smirked, Mark began to tell them the origins of the merfolk as well as stating his title to them. “You’re a prince?! No wonder you can afford a Tesla!” Jackson snorted

“Actually the reason why I have a Tesla was because the American government gave it to me as a present” Mark shrugged

“WHAT?!” The couple said simultaneously and Mark then told them of how the world high powers and a few governments know of the truth of the merpeople and the deal the kingdoms have with them.

“That explained the environmental projects that going on” Jaebum nodded

Jinyoung snorted, “That’s what I said.”

“So wait are you like a spy?” Jackson asked warily looking Mark up and down.

“How can he be a spy if the government knows what he’s doing?” Jaebum deadpanned. Jackson could only smile and shrug.

Mark used his ability to dry himself off and become human again, “You have powers?! Dude that’s so awesome.” Jackson grinned and then he turned to Jinyoung, “It’s like you’re dating Aquaman!”

“Not true. Aquaman can talk to fish, Mark can’t” Jinyoung argued

“Uh actually I can” Mark spoke up.

Jinyoung eyes widened as he turned to Mark, “And you’re telling me this now?!” He yelled out and then he remembered something, “Is that why you were crying when we were eating fish the other night?!”

Mark gave sheepish smile, “I thought you knew and I was not crying the other night. I was tearing up because of the onions”

Jinyoung raised an eyebrow but said nothing since he knew there were no onions in the food. “Okay so you have powers, you’re a prince and you’re a merman, anything else you need to share with the class?” Jaebum joked

Mark thought for a second, “Um my parents want to come and meet Jinyoung?”

Jinyoung gasped, “You’re telling me this now?! What the hell is wrong with you tonight?!” As he grabbed Mark collar, shaking him.

“Relax Nyoungie” Mark giggled pulled his hands off his collar, “I told them to come in three weeks since I know you would like some time to prepare” he stated

“Prepare? Prepare for what? A duel?” Jackson wondered

Jinyoung narrowed his eyes at Jackson, “In case you have forgotten, Mark is a prince meaning his parents are the king and queen!”

Mark rubbed Jinyoung back, “They may be king and queen but you have to think of them as normal people.”

“Kinda hard when you’re a merman who rules a kingdom under the freakin’ sea” Jackson muttered.

Jaebum shoved Jackson, “Not helping” he whispered

Jinyoung took a deep breath, “Okay I’ll try.”

Mark gave him a bright smile and kiss his cheek, “Okay now that’s all over with, let’s clean up”

“Oooo” Jackson began, “I would love to but-” 

Jinyoung grabbed hold of Jackson hoodie, “Don’t even think about it” he warned

Jackson pouted, “I was just joking, I would never dine and dash” Jinyoung glared at him as he pulled Mark back to the dining table.
“You would actually” Jaebum smirked as he wrapped his arms around Jackson’s shoulder.

Jackson turned around and hit Jaebum but it was weak hit, “Jaebummie, how could you say that about me?” He whined

“Because I know you” Jaebum snorted as he rolled his eyes and walked to the dining room to pick up the plates. Jackson continued to pout while muttering how he wasn’t loved enough.

~~~~~~~

An hour later Mark and Jinyoung were lounging on the couch while cuddling with each other. Jackson and Jaebum left 20 minutes ago, after finish cleaning and talking with the others. Even though the two were finally able to enjoy being with each other, Jinyoung mind was running continuously about what occurred over an hour ago.

“Baby I can practically hear you thinking” Mark chuckled

Jinyoung lifted his head to look at Mark better, “How did you know they would be okay with it?”

Mark looked at Jinyoung and shrugged and for the second time today, Jinyoung was curious as to why Mark was so calm about everything, “It was more like a feeling. I mean they stayed by your side when you thought merman exist instead of laughing at you or insulting you. Plus before when you were explaining Jackson behavior he wasn’t scared or angry but calm and sad like you said. So I just went with it.”

Jinyoung raised an eyebrow, “But what if everything went wrong?”

“Then I’ll just erase their memories and everything will go back to normal” Mark shrugged again

Jinyoung gasped, “You can erase memories?”

“Well not me but there’s a device that can back in Cascadia that can do it” 

Jinyoung giggled as he placed his head back on the couch, “Well I guess as long as that device exist than we’ll be fine”

“Exactly” Mark breathed as he kissed Jinyoung forehead cuddling with his body. Jinyoung smiled as he could think of a better feeling than being held in Mark’s arms and he internally wished to remain their forever however sadly it seemed that fate just wasn’t on their side.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A week following Mark’s confession to Jackson and Jaebum; Jinyoung and Jackson were sitting on the floor of Jinyoung room as Mark and Jaebum were busy working at their different jobs.

“Hey did you know there are some scary stuff about merman?” Jackson began, looking up from his computer

“Yeah I did a ton of research on merfolks months ago but Mark proved them all to be false. Merfolks are harmless and that crap is a bunch of bs” Jinyoung scoffed as he continued to work on his sketchbook.

“Yeah but if we didn’t know a merman we would believe in this bs” Jackson snorted, “We would think merpeople purposely lure people into the sea to eat them or make a human fall in love with them so they could eat their heart or even mate with them and then kill them.”

Jinyoung laughed, “Dude when you say it out loud it sounds kinda ridiculous.” He smiled

“Yeah Mark can’t have kids so he just wants to eat your heart!” He mocked growled while tackling Jinyoung.

Jinyoung shoved him off, “Very funny, Jackson” he rolled his eyes.

“Well it’s true right?” 

“What’s true?” Jinyoung frowned

“That Mark can’t have kids” Jackson snorted

Jinyoung opened his mouth but honestly he wasn’t sure. Although it’s scientifically impossible, it could happen especially since Mark was a species that didn’t exist so it could be possible to give birth. Jinyoung felt himself getting frustrated at the thought that Mark didn’t tell him if he can or not but he knew he shouldn’t be completely mad. Due to Mark’s chill mindset the merman could’ve simply forgotten to mention it like he had forgot to mention that he could talk to fish.

“I don’t know” Jinyoung finally answered

“Wait, seriously?” Jackson gasped

“Well Mark never mention it but I wouldn’t be surprised if he just forgot to about it” Jinyoung sighed

Jackson was silent for a minute before a smile grew on his face, “That actually would be so cool, you two then wouldn’t have to adopt and you guys can have a baby that’s biologically yours. You will be envy of all gay couples.”

Jinyoung raised an eyebrow, “Uh, okay?”

Jackson giggled then looked at his phone, “Oh crap, I better go get changed for tonight. Thanks for letting me and Jaebummie tag along on your date, Jinyoungie” Jackson grinned as he waved good-bye to Jinyoung

Jinyoung rolled his eyes as he muttered, “I didn’t have a choice.” Jinyoung made the mistake of mentioning to Jackson that Mark was planning a picnic date out on the beach cliff last night and since it sounded so romantic, Jackson jumped on and invited himself along as well. Jinyoung tried to get him change his mind but Jackson refused and Jinyoung had to grudging tell Mark that two more people were coming. It was a good thing Mark was so relax about everything, otherwise he would have to deal with a pissed off merman.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The fire crackled as Mark placed more wood into it, “Um are we allowed to start a fire on the cliff?” Jinyoung wondered. When Mark had told him they were having a picnic on the beach cliff, he failed to mention having a camp fire as well.

Mark laughed, “Of course love”

“Besides if anything happens, Mark-hyung could just put it out” Jaebum joked

Jinyoung narrowed his eyes at him, “I’m still wondering why the hell you two are here”

“Jinyoungie don’t act like that you didn’t know” Jackson smiled innocently

“I didn’t think you guys would actually come” Jinyoung frowned

“You doubted Jackson? How long have you known him?” Jaebum raised an eyebrow at this.

Jackson meanwhile pouted, “Why are you guys treating me like this? All I want to do is spend time together”

“Okay but can’t you do it when Mark and I aren’t trying to have a date?” Jinyoung asked

Jackson tilted his head cutely and smiled, “No”

Jinyoung growled lowly making Mark laugh, “Baby it’s fine” he said kissing his cheek.

“But I wanted us to be alone” Jinyoung whined

Mark laughed at how adorable he was being, “As long as I get to touch and kiss you I don’t care who’s around.”

Jinyoung cheeks turned pink at Mark’s bold confession, “Aww Jinyoungie you’re so cute when you blush” Jackson cooed

Jinyoung frowned, “Shut up, you’re ruining the moment!”

Mark smiled as he wrapped his arms around Jinyoung waist, Jinyoung continued to frown at Jackson but Mark turned his head toward him, “Jinyoung there’s something I wanna tell you.” He began and the look on Jinyoung face told him he had his undivided attention, “I know we’ve only been together for a few months but what I feel for you is something I don’t think I can feel with anyone else but you. Jinyoung I think I-”

“Get your dirty hands off of him!” A voice yelled

Everyone turned their heads to see Youngjae behind Jackson and Jaebum while pointing a gun at Mark. Jaebum and Jackson immediately moved away from Youngjae and his gun.

“Youngjae what the hell?” Jinyoung gasped

“Don’t worry Jinyoung-hyung, everything will be okay” Youngjae smiled

“How the hell can everything be fine when you have that gun in your hands?” Jackson gasped

“I’m saving you guys” Youngjae frowned

“From what?” Jaebum frowned

“From that monster. Now I won’t say it again! Take your hands off of Jinyoung-hyung” Youngjae warned and Mark slowly did as he said.

Jaebum slowly stood up and walked over to Youngjae, “Youngjae, you’re not thinking straight now just-”

Youngjae pointed the gun at Jaebum and his hands flew up then he pointed them back to Mark, “Jaebum-hyung don’t move, you don’t have to listen to this monster anymore”

“What are you talking about?” Jackson gulped

“Mark-hyung has you guys under a spell, and the reason why he brought you here was so he can lure you into the ocean where he and his buddies can eat your bodies” Youngjae explained

Jinyoung shaked his head, “What the hell are you talking about?”

“Mark-hyung why don’t you tell them, tell them that your a merman! A monster!” Youngjae yelled out

“They already know” Mark said calmly

“Yeah Youngjae, Mark told this already” Jinyoung agreed

“Of course he did, after all you’re under his spell so why wouldn’t he” Youngjae scoffed, “But don’t worry I’m gonna save you from him.”

“If anything” Mark began as he stood up, “We need to be saved from you! What kind of person holds their friends at gunpoint!”

“I wouldn’t have to if you didn’t have them under your control. But once you’re dead everyone will be free” Youngjae smiled

“Youngjae you’re acting crazy!” Jinyoung yelled out

“No I’m not! I told you I would get proof and I did! I have photos and videos of him meeting his ‘friends’ in the ocean and I saw his monstrous form!” Youngjae frowned “It’s all in this bag” he said showing the messenger bag that none of them noticed till now.

“Youngjae you’re wrong, Mark-hyung isn’t like that!” Jackson argued

“No I’m right! I did the research and all of them say that merpeople are evil killers who only want to eat our human flesh!” Youngjae screamed and the gun started the shake in his hand.

“Youngjae please just put down the gun” Jinyoung begged

Youngjae shaked his head, “He’s making you say that, you have to fight him!”

“Youngjae I’m not under a spell just put down the damn gun!” Jinyoung hissed

“No!” Youngjae yelled, “I’m going to save you and you’ll see that I’m right!” He smiled before it turned back into a frown, “You, monster, move away from them” he commanded and without any choice Mark took a step away from Jinyoung. Jinyoung whined as he saw Mark moved but all Mark gave him was a small smile.

“Farther!” Youngjae yelled and Mark took a couple more steps away and slowly moving close to the edge of the cliff.

“Youngjae please” Jackson begged

Youngjae still shaked his head, “No I have to kill this monster to save you guys”

Mark narrowed his eyes at Youngjae as clouds swiftly covered the night sky, “I’m not a monster. If anything you are.” Youngjae shaked his head, “Look around you, everyone is scared of you.”

Youngjae actually looked around to see Jackson clutching Jaebum shirt and Jinyoung on his knees as tear fell him his eyes, “I-It’s y-your fault. Y-You’re making them act like this.”

“As impressive as that is, I have no ability like that.” Mark frowned

“I don’t believe you” Youngjae hissed 

“He’s telling the truth” Jinyoung hiccuped, “Please don’t hurt him”

“Stop making him cry!” Youngjae yelled and then he pressed the trigger and the shot made a loud deafening sound. Mark looked down at his body and saw blood leaking out from the hole in his abdomen. He staggered back before looking at Youngjae, whimpering. Youngjae looked at him with wide eyes and pressed the trigger twice pushing Mark back till he fell off the cliff.

Jaebum was the first to move as he tackled Youngjae and knocking the gun out his hands, “You bastard! How could you!” He yelled as he punched Youngjae with each word. Jinyoung slowly got up, disbelief written on his face, Jackson moved to hold Jinyoung back but he couldn’t, he refused. With the little strength remaining he ran over to the edge and look over, looking some sign of Mark.

Jackson didn’t need to look to know, as Jinyoung fell to knees and cried out to the open sea, Mark was gone.