Chapter 7

Think of You

Jinyoung was waiting by the rocks where Mark pointed out to him earlier before leaving. He got there 20 minutes before the time they agreed on but he couldn’t help it, he was nervous. Mark said he wants to talk to him but about what? Could it be to reveal he’s actually a merman? Did he already trust that Jinyoung would keep his secret because he would. Even though the discovery would make him rich and famous, he could never betray Mark not after he saved him and probably gave him the best week of his life. 

Jinyoung looked around, searching for any signs of Mark but none came and he was beginning to wonder if Mark would stand him up. No way, he thought shaking his head. Mark wasn’t that kind of person. He waited a little longer and looked up at the sky, noticing the clouds were blocking the full moon but suddenly the clouds disappeared leaving behind the glowing silver moon. 

He smiled at the fact that the moon’s light chased away the darkness leaving nothing but it’s light. However something strange happened, he saw something glowing below him and as he looked down he saw rocks that actually were glowing. That was only the beginning of the weirdness as the rocks weren’t there in the beginning and also they appeared to leading somewhere else.

Jinyoung stared at it till a thought entered his mind, follow it. If this was a movie the audience would be screaming at him to not do it but he was really curious so decided to buck up and do it. He followed each rock which led him further and further away from the party and towards a cliff. It didn’t lead him up but the cliff but around and there he found an entrance to a cave, he stopped realizing at this point he should actually stop and go back to his spot to wait for Mark but once again his curiosity got the better of him.

He entered in the cave and it was only a short distance before he saw another brighter light than the rocks and went towards it. He entered in founding himself at a mini cave with a pool of water opening out to the ocean and the moon shining in. He realized he was still under the cliff and wondered if anyone had ever discovered this before. As he was looking around, he heard a noise and turning around he saw Mark coming in.

“Mark” he gasped, “How did you know I was here?”

Mark smiled, “I led you here”

Jinyoung mouth dropped, “You mean you planted those rocks there? How? When? Why?-Wait you didn’t led me here to kill me right?” He said slowly backing away.

Mark laughed and his laughter bounced around the cave, “No silly.”

“Okay then why?” Jinyoung asked happy to know he was able to live another day.

“First I have a question to ask you” Mark said and Jinyoung nodded, “Why did you draw me as a merman?”

Jinyoung froze, did this mean he was wrong and Mark wasn’t the merman? Or was he trying to find out what he knew? “Um I know this will sound crazy but a couple weeks ago I was saved by a merman. I didn’t see his face only his body but for some reason your face fits”

Mark nodded, “So if you were to met this merman what would you do?”

Oh, Jinyoung thought, this was a test, “I would thank him and promise to never reveal his secret.”

“Just thank him?” Mark asked 

“And maybe take back the kiss he stole from me” Jinyoung grinned. Mark laughed, “Mark-hyung are you the merman?”

Mark smiled, “Yes I am”

Jinyoung grinned jumping slightly on his toes, “I knew it, I knew I wasn’t crazy” 

“Ahem” Mark coughed and Jinyoung looked at him, “Aren’t you forgetting something?” He smiled while crossing his arms.

Jinyoung looked confused for a second till he remembered, “Oh right. Mark-hyung, thank you for saving my life” Jinyoung said as walked closer to Mark, “If it wasn’t you, I wouldn’t be standing here right now.”

Mark smiled widely, “It was my pleasure” he blushed. Jinyoung thought he looked absolutely adorable and leaned over to kiss his rescuer. 

Jinyoung pulled away and looked at Mark, “I just can’t believe it” he muttered

Mark chuckled, “Well I am standing in front of you”

“Yeah as a normal person” Jinyoung scoffed

Mark nodded and pulled away, walking towards the pool. Jinyoung stood by as he watched Mark jumped in the water. He walked closer and gasped as he saw a blonde head rise up from the water, “Y-Y-You’re blonde” he muttered

Mark laughed at Jinyoung reaction; he swam to the edge and lifted himself up from the water and dangling his tail in the pool, “Yes I’m blonde, but only when I change into a merman, then I’m the same brown haired guy you know.” He smiled

“H-H-How-” Jinyoung stuttered

Mark laughed again, “Well when a mermaid and a merman really love each other-”

“Yah that’s not what I meant” Jinyoung frowned but Mark knew he wasn’t really mad, “I meant like how long have your kind been here? How did merfolks come to be?” He wondered

“We’ve been here just as long as human have.” Mark shrugged, “We were once humans living in Italy but of course the Italy my ancestors knew is much different than the Italy you see on your maps. It was much larger in size before a massive earthquake broke it apart and a Tsunami crashed over it.”

Jinyoung eyes widened and gasped, “Zeus and Poseidon were the cause for the earthquake and Tsunami. They were fighting over who should be the god over a some country I can’t remember. Seeing the damage they cause, they transformed all the survivors into merfolk so they continue live in the now sunken cities.”

“Wait wait wait, Zeus and Poseidon?! The Greek gods exist?!” Jinyoung yelled

“Yeah but of course they aren’t as big and bad as they use to be, but they’re still around, living in Olympus” Mark sighed

Jinyoung gasped at the news, “Oh my gosh, so you actually live in Italy?”

Mark giggled, “No. Majority of the merfolk migrated out of the Mediterranean sea and create new kingdoms and empires. My mom and dad are the rulers of the Pacific Ocean, the throne was suppose to go to my sister Tammy but because the Pacific Ocean is so big, she thought it would be better to divide it. So now my sister would rule the South Pacific Ocean and if my other sister Grace hadn’t gotten married to the princess of the Atlantic Ocean before this happened, she would rule the North Pacific. But since she’s already married, I now have to rule the North Pacific Ocean once my parents either hand us the throne or die.” Mark sighed deeply

Jinyoung had dropped to his knees at some point of Mark’s explanation while his mouth hanging out. Mark raised an eyebrow and closed Jinyoung mouth, “Nyoungie, you okay?” Mark asked

“As well as anyone who found out their boyfriend is a freakin’ prince.” Jinyoung deadpanned

“Oh you know someone like that?” Mark asked surprised

Jinyoung looked at Mark dumbfounded, “NO!” He shouted and Mark jumped back, “I’m sorry, it’s just-“

“It’s a lot to take in?” Mark filled in, “I get it Nyoungie and I’ll understand if you don’t want to stay together” he muttered while watching his tail sway in the water.

“No no no, I want to stay with you” Jinyoung said immediately

“Even though I’m a merman?” Mark asked shyly

Jinyoung chuckled, “Even though you’re a merman. I wouldn’t give you up for anything but just give me some time. It’s not everyday someone learns that mermen exist.” Mark smiled and nodded, relieved that Jinyoung wasn’t thinking of ending his relationship with him. “So if you’re suppose to run a kingdom why are you here?”

“I’m observing the human world; even though other kingdoms have done it before, we still do observations from time to time. We’re basically using human mistakes to make our world better.” Mark answered

“Oh well at least our mistakes are helping other, I guess” Jinyoung scoffed, “But doesn’t that mean you’re like spies?”

Mark shaked his head, “Hard to be a spy when your government knows that we’re here” he laughed

“Wait the South Korean government knows about you guys?” Jinyoung asked in disbelief

“Well not the entire government just the people in high power and it’s not just South Korea but literally every high power figure knows” Mark shrugged, “They had discovered of our existence like 40 years ago and just like what they did with the aliens; they decided that instead of either exterminating us or making us into their servants, we would work together. They will use our technology to better the world while they try to preserve and protect our waters.” Mark said

Jinyoung exhaled, “First merfolk, now alien? No wonder we’re so advanced” he muttered, “And that explains all the environmental projects that been occurring all over the world. It’s part of your deal with them.”

Mark nodded, “In the end everyone’s happy”

“Wow” Jinyoung breathed, “And they’re just okay with you guys observing our world?”

Mark laughed, “They don’t have any other choice besides they know we won’t do anything. If we wanted to we could’ve taken over the world already.” 

Jinyoung tilted his head in confusion, “What do you mean?”

Mark smiled and raised his hand towards the water and made it rise up, floating around in the air, “All merfolk have the ability to move water to their will. Another gift that both Poseidon and Zeus gave to us as an apology.” 

Jinyoung stared at the floating water in awe till Mark said brought him out, “I understand Poseidon giving you guys water powers but what Zeus have to do with that?” Mark lifted one finger and lightning strike across the sky. Jinyoung gasped, “Okay from what I know lightning and water never work well together”

Mark laughed, “I’ve been told that before but since I’m still here I guess it’s okay”

“You can control water and lightning?” Jinyoung gasped, “That’s insane”

Mark shrugged, “I inherited the ability over lightning from my grandmother along with the blonde hair situation”

“Yeah I was about to ask about that, does blonde hair run in your family?” Jinyoung asked

“Nope” Mark sighed, “Everyone else has brown except for me. I only have brown hair when I change back into a human”

“Yeah so how does that work? Cause I’ve seen you get wet and nothing happened” Jinyoung wondered
“I can control my ability to change into a merman but whenever there is a full moon I can’t” Mark explained

Jinyoung made an ‘o’ with his mouth, “That explains why you’ve been leaving so early”

Mark nodded, “If I could, I would’ve stayed the whole night with you.” He smiled staring into Jinyoung eyes and Jinyoung couldn’t help but look at him.

“Wow my mind is blown” Jinyoung snorted

Mark stared at Jinyoung, “I have to say I’m impressed of well you’re taking all of this.”

Jinyoung shrugged, “Well I really like you so I think my attraction for you is outweighing my sense of logic. Maybe one day, all the information will get to me but by then I think I’ll be completely okay with it.”

Mark smiled wider, “I’m so glad my instincts were right about you. My friends and family had their doubts about me revealing myself but it would seem I was right”

Jinyoung’s eyes widened, “You told your family about me?”

“Well I didn’t plan on doing it so soon but I haven’t back home for weeks and my parents were curious as to why that happened. If I didn’t tell them they would’ve made me stay in Cascadia till the crowning ceremony” Mark sighed, “Cascadia is the name of our Pacific kingdom” he replied to Jinyoung questioning gaze.

“Do they approve of me?” Jinyoung wondered, it's sad to think that this could be last time they could be together if their relationship was forbidden by his family.

“Oh of course they do as long as you keep our secret” Mark answered, “But I know that they will fall for you once they met you” he grinned, “Just like I did”