Chapter 26

Ash to Dust [EDITING]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The tunnels to the underground river had been started.

A few master water benders ambled around, trailing after the earth benders as they made each slice into the dirt feeling for pockets of water that may not be on the map. Pleased with their progress, Darshi turned to walk the streets at leisure.

Namjoon had managed to find a few things out about the Fire Nation from the notes she stole. One thing being a few crates of supplies the Fire Lord was shipping the Earth District. Namjoon and the two earth generals decided to steal them, getting a bit more food for the people down here. They did that without consulting her, something that left her a bit miffed. At least it had paid off. There were a few more fresh fruits and vegetables, although some of it was foreign to their palates as it was Fire Nation food which favored spicy flavors.

Someone was sent above to the lower district nearly every day to gather news and update them. There were whispers of the earthern nobles planning an uprising. They did not enjoy the restrictions placed on them. The lower district didn’t care either way. Nothing had changed since the Fire Nation took over. Fire Nation soldiers were rarely found in the poorest district. Normally, they wandered the middle and upper rings. The lower district was too impoverished and filthy for them to pour much effort into.

There was another group of earth benders working on building a boat. They only had enough materials for one so every piece counted. A few water and fire nation helped too, being manual laborers and giving advice on how their respective nations made ships. Their expertise was pretty important too considering the Earth Kingdom had never been known for their naval force. It was always the Fire Nation and the Northern Water Tribe, as the Southern one only made smaller boats made for one person or up to fourteen.

Darshi finally felt as if she were gaining her footing again. Guilt was still there, it always would be, but she had to keep going forward. One day she could pay for her sins, but not today. A makeshift map had been left on her desk updating all the ins and outs of Lake Laogai that hadn’t been marked previously. It was still a work in progress, but a lot better than before. She leaned back in her chair, ruminating on King Shichiro.

He had sacrificed himself for his people to live. He had heard what the Fire Nation did to those who refused to yield and decided to give in. She couldn’t help but wonder what happened to the rest of the royal family. She had never met any of them, but the King had outlived all his sons. Only grandchildren and nephew's remained.

The biggest problem in Lake Laogai was being addressed: the shortage in food. The earth benders were close to the river at this point. Some of the water benders had mentioned it. The earth benders could create a tunnel above the water so that they could get to a food source. There were some earth benders that had an idea on how to get the ship back now too.

“Hoseok?”

The man glanced at her, pulling away from his paperwork. “Yes?”

“I need to call a meeting.”

His brows furrowed, lips pursed as he took in her firm stance. “May I ask why?”

Darshi snorted, shaking her head in amusement. “Of course you can ask. This isn’t a dictatorship, Hoseok. You’ll be finding out soon enough anyways.”

“What is it about?”

“The war.”

Hoseok sighed, running his fingers through his hair musing it. “Is there anything else you can give me to go off of?” When Darshi didn’t answer, merely observed the people of Lake Laogai from afar, he pressed, “I’m not going to like this announcement, am I?”

“Many people will like it,” she disagreed.

“But I won’t?”

“Perhaps. I’m not sure. You may in time,” she shrugged, peeling herself off the wall. “I’ll meet you there.”

“Darshi…” he groaned, giving up and doing as she asked.

She notified the fire and air benders herself. They all trailed behind her as they made their way to the courtyard. She took a seat up on the plain dais, made of simple wood with no embellishments, waiting for Chief Namjoon and the two earth generals to join them. Many of the people seemed to stick to their given country, clear lines with greens, blues, reds, and yellows congregated together. But there were some that mingled throughout the lines bringing a slight smile to her lips.

Chief Namjoon sat beside her, his overall aura not appearing to be very impressed with the impromptu meeting. A scowl was on his face and he leaned back against his chair as if annoyed with the world, fingers tapping against the arm rest.

Zara and Zayan appeared soon after, Zara raising a single brow in question before sitting down. Darshi nodded, standing up and gathering everyone’s attention.

“How long do you think we can stay down here?”

The question rang clear across the room, bringing all the murmurs to an abrupt end. She studied their faces, taking in the worry, distrust, fear, and myriad of other emotions scattered throughout the crowd.

“A month?” she asked rhetorically.

They squirmed, troubled by her words. It seemed their mortality was not something they cared to think about, but it was something Darshi could not stop herself from contemplating.

“A year? Two? Ten?”

General Zara leaned towards her, lips pursed as Darshi brought their biggest troubles to the forefront. Doing so could make the masses panic which was why she wasn’t very impressed.

“The truth is none of us could ever know,” she continued. “Our last day of life could be tomorrow or a century from now, because once the Fire Lord or Prince Seokjin hears about us it will be the day the axe is swung down. Do you want to wait until that day happens? Do you want to cling to the hope that we’ll somehow stay

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter