Chapter 16

Ash to Dust [EDITING]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Crown Prince Seokjin stood at the hull of his ship, watching as his men maneuvered into the bay of the Fire Nation capital. He was dressed in his imperial robes, the gold on his shoulders ostentatious and overly pretentious, but that was the style of the Fire Nation nobles. He felt for his golden knot that marked him as crown prince, making sure it was not eschewed before taking a deep breath in.

It was always overwhelming coming back home. The people of the Fire Nation were always desperate to get a look at their future ruler, to grasp at his sleeves and touch his skin. Soldiers were needed to stop any riots or people from getting trampled. Because of all this Seokjin tended to go back to the palace in his litter.

Taehyung saddled up beside him, a pout on his lips. Seokjin frowned, adjusting his little brother’s robes roughly to make him more presentable. Taehyung glared, pulling at his clothes and wrinkling them all over again. Seokjin managed to hold back an eye roll, giving up on him. For the walk up to the palace Adarshini and Yoongi had been shackled. His father didn’t like slaves running around as they pleased, so Seokjin locked them up during this time.

As always, the people started screaming the moment he was in view. He tugged on Taehyung, keeping the boy near him.

“I want to ride the horses up to the palace,” Taehyung whined.

“Too bad,” Seokjin griped, hand planted firmly on his shoulder to keep Taehyung from running off. Taehyung had never enjoyed the fanfare and the way things were presented. The last thing Seokjin needed at this time was Taehyung making a fool of himself just before seeing their father. “For once in your life act like a prince. At least until father dismisses you.” Taehyung scowled, but didn’t bother to argue. Seokjin would take that as Taehyung accepting.

Seokjin slid the emotion off his face, hands laced loosely behind his back as he walked down the metal plank. Taehyung was stomping a bit harder than necessary, but he was behaving so Seokjin held his tongue.

The ride there was uneventful save for the screams and shouts that could be heard. As soon as they were out of view Taehyung collapsed onto the side of the carrier. “I hate being a prince,” he whispered, a pout on his lips.

“Well I hate doing paperwork. It seems like we all have our challenges in life, Taehyung.”

Taehyung rolled his eyes, arms crossed against his chest as he looked through the see-through fabric that blocked them off from the rest of the world. Outside people could only see the shadows of them, but the princes could see quite well. Once they passed the stonewall that surrounded the palace they got out, exchanging it for a pair of two handsome horses. One was a chestnut with white dots. She had been favored by Taehyung for many years now. The other was a dark horse called Midnight, one of the many royal animals housed in the stable. Seokjin had never bothered to get attached to any creatures, so he never cared which one he got. There were about a dozen horses just for the royal family’s use. Considering there were only three of them Seokjin could say that was plenty.

Yoongi seemed to be keeping an eye on Adarshini, whispering to her every now and then. Seokjin assumed he was filling her in on what to do and the correct etiquette. Something had changed in her since telling her about her heritage. He had no clue what was going on in her head when she looked at him. Before she was an open book, but the days of that were no more.

Seokjin mentally shook himself. He had to be prepared for this meeting with his father. He hoped it would be a good visit since he was bringing the news of both water tribes being defeated, but he never knew when it came to his father. The Fire Lord could be fickle at times, unpredictable, which made it hard to measure his moods.

As he got closer the nobles were lined up on the walkways and bowed as he passed. A perusal of Taehyung had him releasing a relieved breath. He appeared every part the prince. As long as father dismissed him quickly they would run into no problems regarding Taehyung.

He handed his horse off to a handler, back straight and gait unrushed as he walked up the steps with Taehyung trailing less than a foot behind as propriety demanded. Since he was the crown prince Taehyung should not step before him as was tradition. Adarshini and Yoongi stayed with his entourage, their status obvious by the ribbon on their necks and the shackles on their wrists.

Great columns spanned the formal throne room, leading all the way up to his father who sat crisscrossed just behind a wall of flames. He stood once Seokjin was half way through the room, stepping through the fire to reveal his person.

Seokjin had gotten his broadness from his father, but had not inherited his father's height to his dissatisfaction. The Fire Lord was at least five centimeters taller than his one hundred and seventy-nine. A beard framed his features. Seokjin wasn’t even sure what his father looked like beneath. It had been there for as long as he could remember. His eyes were a caramel brown and they peered deeply into his own, taking him in first then his little brother.

When they were about a foot before him Seokjin dropped into a deep bow, knees hitting the floor and waiting for the signal to arise. Taehyung did not hesitate doing the same, forehead pressed against the luminescent marble.

“Rise.”

Seokjin stood, shoulders low and back straight. He kept his hands at his side, waiting for his father’s next move.

The inscrutable expression left his face and he grinned, pulling Seokjin into a hug. Seokjin couldn’t help but think his father looked like the wolf about to attack the ceremonial sheep as he did it.

“My son, you bring the Fire Nation such honor! You disposed of both the Northern and Southern Water Tribe's. I am quite pleased.”

He ignored Taehyung, something Seokjin was certain his little brother had caught onto.

“Yes father, I am always happy to bring pride to our great nation.”

The Fire Lord patted his back, dismissing Taehyung with a careless wave of his hand. At least his father was in a good mood. He would let Taehyung be this day. Whenever their father spoke with the younger Taehyung always looked as if he were a moment from either tears or an outburst.

“I hear you are ready to do the same with the Earth Kingdom?”

They stepped behind the flames, leaving the nobility to each other to have their conversations. The fire was taller than him, nearly taller than their father, so it was difficult to see once behind it.

“Of course, father. I wish to take a short rest and go straight to the Earth Kingdom.”

The Fire Lord smiled, pleased with his oldest. “You managed to do more than your grandfather did in his time. It is an amazing feat.” He poured a wine made of purple berries for them both and they clinked their glasses together.

“To be fair, grandfather took over three air bending temples and I destroyed the two water tribe’s,” he said modestly.

“Yes, and I did the final Eastern Air Temple before I took over the throne,” the Fire Lord ruminated, swirling his beverage. His expression became more serious, and the light heartedness of the conversation evaporated like water on a hot day. “Has your brother become a man yet?”

Seokjin dropped his gaze, taking a sip to avoid answering for as long as possible. “No.”

Irritation flickered on his father’s features. “How hard can it be? You were a man at fourteen.”

Seokjin remembered all too well, still filled with rage from his mother’s death. To be a man in the Fire Nation took either or murder. He found the first slightly detestable, so had asked to go on a mission to the Earth Kingdom. Seokjin had out. All he could remember were the screams of the village and the smell of soot up his nose, but the general had looked at him with pride when he came to and said he was a man now, no longer a boy.

He wasn’t sure if Taehyung would ever do eithe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter