Chapter 18

Ash to Dust [EDITING]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hoseok took in the expanse of ocean before him, water locked from every side. Namjoon had given him control of one of the ships. There were a few of the Southern Water Tribe on board that he was keeping an eye on, one he knew was related to Darshi. They had decided for unity’s sake to merge the South’s soldiers with their own and have Jungkook keep his rank. It seemed to be working out so far. The Southern Water Tribe were a bit standoffish at first, but were beginning to loosen up. Most of them were quite young, no older than eighteen. They had been through many things in their young lives, much like many of his people. When losing three-fourths of a population everyone would have losses.

He still couldn’t bring himself to tell Namjoon what he’d done.

It made everything all the worse that it was in vain since Yua had taken her life. He couldn't even tell Namjoon that at least something wonderful came of it. Hoseok felt so guilty about what he’d done that he couldn’t even look at Namjoon. Every time he made some flimsy excuse to leave. 

At least his choice wasn’t fatal. Namjoon managed to get himself back to the North just like he thought. But now he’d never know if Namjoon had been around when that air bender attacked if they’d still have a home.

Namjoon trusted him, but he didn’t know if he deserved that trust. Not anymore.

The Chieftess had given her life for the good of the people. Namjoon’s brother had died trying to give his tribe a fighting chance. The last Chief didn’t have to choose this life. He decided to bear the weight of the Northern Water Tribe himself and in doing so made them flourish like they hadn’t in more than a century. All the people that ruled had given such big sacrifices, and all Hoseok could do was ruin them.

There was a divide among those meant for responsibility, and those that weren’t. Hoseok could see that now more than ever. Looking back on what all the royalty had given up for their people made Hoseok feel selfish. His decision was made with only himself and his family in mind, and he hadn’t worried about the rest of the world.

When Namjoon told him he would be in charge of one of the ships what he wanted to do was tell him he didn’t deserve it and then explain why. Instead, he had only stared for a long moment before giving a short nod.

He would come clean one day, but for now he would sit in self-hatred and doubt.

 

Darshi clutched to the metal seat as the war machine rattled her back and forth clacking her teeth. She had never ridden a horse before, but she imagined it would be a bit similar. If she didn’t hold on to something she would be jostled from her spot. She eyed the three Fire Nation soldiers beside her running the contraption. Smoke hung low on the ceiling before finding carefully crafted holes meant to disperse it. The front was sharp and spiraled, making it ideal for digging. She had never seen anything like it, but was still certain there was a chance they could breach the wall with it.

The Fire Lord had decided to dress her in the yellows and oranges of the air temple. As if he wanted to make her betrayal to the world all the more prominent by her not being part of the Fire Nation. The ribbon cut deep on her neck and she swallowed, feeling the band against more than ever.

The truth was she felt more at home in theses colors than she had in a long time.

She recalled all the decisions she made that led to this. Her choice of weighing her tribe more than the world, and felt a deep shame. She thought about her ancestors as she brushed her fingers against the fabric. They must have been unlike any other civilization currently alive. Her mother and father did not often speak about what it was like being an Air Nomad, but she could tell fondness touched all of those memories.

The machine began to quake even more, and Darshi assumed it was earth benders attacking them. There were a few other machines with them, and a slew of fire benders following them to distract the earth benders.

A crunching sound could be made out, the creaking of metal as it buckled against pressure. At that moment they hit the wall, the shaking gyrating them so much there was no hope of staying upright. She had no clue how the three Fire Nation soldiers managed to continue working.

She settled herself, closing her eyes and blocking out all the noise. The beating of her heart was loud against her ears, a steady reminder of the life she lived. She worked through her energy pathway, making sure she could be at peace for what she was about to do and the repercussions it would have. Long last she managed to unblock her chi with a gasp, coming back into herself. She opened her eyes as they broke through the wall, the machine turning off as the soldiers waited for her move. A screeching sound of metal being scratched hit her ears and she winced as she felt earth benders lock them into place.

She stood, still adjusting to the fabric adorning her. For the first time in her life she dressed in billowy pants that were so large they swallowed her form. The shirt was neither loose nor tight, a happy medium. She found she enjoyed what the air benders had worn. It gave her modesty and was much more suited for the warmer temperatures allowing air to get through.

She twisted the hatch, pulling herself up out of the chamber and squeezing her eyes shut as the light hit them. It was dark inside the contraption, so being outside again was an adjustment for her vision.

When she was able to see she took in the earth benders surrounding her already lowered in a fighting stance, ready for any possible movement on her part. They were more prepared than the Northern Water Tribe who had never expected her to attack them. Then again the Northern Water Tribe hadn't expected that type of bending to come out of a woman.

“You’re a slave.”

A bender stepped forward, his face as lined as the dirt beneath them. Despite his ag

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter