Chapter 22

Ash to Dust [EDITING]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Darshi placed some of the steamed vegetables in , avoiding the roasted meats. She wasn’t used to eating the flavorful food of the Earth Kingdom, so it never agreed with her stomach. In the Southern Water Tribe she ate things like seal jerky and stewed sea prunes, nothing similar to what people at in the Earth Kingdom dined on. Even on the Fire Nation ship it was difficult for her. The majority of their food was spicy and unmanageable.

She studied the Earth King at the end of the table as he turned to some of the delicacies that she was too cowardly to try. Things she couldn’t even tell what they were made of. He seemed to enjoy it enough.

The war on the wall was difficult, but they were remaining strong. The Fire Nation hadn’t managed to get through once, and Darshi was able to wreck most their war engines with her air bending. There were some that were too heavy though so earth benders stepped in. Last night they won another battle and Darshi could only assume King Shichiro had invited her to dine at the palace to celebrate.

“You’re doing very well, my dear. Flourishing, in fact,” King Shichiro announced.

Darshi swallowed her food, studying the royal guards that sat situated in strategic section of the room. It was large, columns following the length of it with the walls a simple forest green. Paintings of what appeared to be noblemen and women were in many of them. The women had fans, eyes coquettish as they stared through the painting. The men had severe expressions or were laughing, a contrast of emotions.

“Is it a good thing that I flourish in war?” she probed, unsure how she felt about that.

“Right now? Yes. But that is because you are on our side and not the opposing one. It must be a difference of perspective.” He winked at her, mischief sparkling in his eyes.

Darshi smiled into her food unable to help herself. King Shichiro was one of the few people who still treated her like a person. Most were either terrified of her or viewed her as some type of powerful, unapproachable being. The only conversations she could truly recall enjoying at the Earth Kingdom was with him.

Darshi lost her grin, chest deflating. “I wasn’t able to stop them from ruining the land between the outer and inner wall.” Salting the land was a pointless task, done only to crush the Earth Kingdom’s spirit. She tried to stop it, but by the time they got inside from herding the animals and cutting down crops she was exhausted. All she could do was collapse onto the nearest pallet and fall into a deep slumber.

“It’s strange,” the king pondered, tapping his chin with a hidden smile. “You want others to stop looking at you as if you can make miracles happen, yet hold yourself to the same standards. You cannot choose to be both. You are only human, my dear. You would do well to remember that.”

Darshi rubbed at her ears that were hot to the touch, staring down into her lap contrite. “I suppose you are right,” she said begrudgingly.

He chuckled in amusement, shaking his head. “Ah, the fires of youth! How I do miss it.” His face became serious, studying her from across the table. “The Fire Lord sent me a message. He said it still was not too late to give into his demands.”

Darshi clenched her jaw, troubled by this. “What are his demands?”

“Pretty simple, actually. Turn myself in and give him power over the Earth Kingdom.” He swirled his drink, eyes following the movement of the water in his glass. “It is a wonderful thing he did not mention you, my dear.”

Darshi tensed, slowing looking up at King Shichiro. He was known for being unpredictable and she had a bad feeling about this. “What do you mean by that?”

The King stood, wiping his mouth and patting one of his generals on the shoulder before whispering in his ear. The man’s eyes widened and he left the room as if hesitant, waiting for the King to call him back. Darshi gripped her napkin in her hands tight beneath the table, twisting it back and forth as he neared. The wooden chair was loud against the marble flooring as he positioned himself closer to her.

“Sometimes the right decision appears to be a step backwards, but there are times in life people must do that in order to move forward.”

Her breath quickened, eyes darting across his face for any clue to his riddle. He could be as confusing as the elders of the Southern Water Tribe when he wanted to be. “What are you talking about?”

“I mean that the Fire Nation is going to come no matter what we do. It could be a matter of days, weeks… years, but they will be here. I’ve seen what they do to the nation’s they dominate. They strike them off the map, rid of them until there is nothing left. I cannot allow that to happen to my people.”

Darshi burst from her seat, throwing the napkin on the table. “No! This is madness! King Shichiro, you can’t give yourself in! This is the only safe place left in the world!”

“Safe for how long?” he probed. “That I do not wish to find out, because if I do it will mean the end of the Earth Kingdom itself.” He kissed her forehead, placing his hands against her shoulders as she struggled to breathe. “My dear, you are young and still have much to learn. I am not giving up. I am giving my people a fighting chance.”

“By giving them to the Fire Lord! That sounds like a wonderful idea,” she raged. “I’ve met him! I’ve seen him! His just as crazed as he is powerful!” The King remained calm, merely watching her as she struggled to keep it together. “I-“ she sniffled, the rage cooling until all that was left was simmering emptiness. “Why?”

“The Earth Kingdom will very much be taken over by the Fire Nation, but Lake Laogai will be alive. I’ll be depending on you to take care of them. I know you can do this.”

“They hate me,” she whimpered. “They’d rather have me dead then listen to me.”

“You would be surprised what desperation can do to a person.” He smiled, no sadness permeating his features. “My dear, I’m afraid our chapter has come to an end. But for you, yours is just beginning. I wish you all the luck in

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter