Chorus

Maybe This Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hearing his voice, Joy slowly peered at Sungjae.

She felt her hands becoming sweaty as she anxiously waited for his next words.

The beating of her heart wasn't planning to calm down any sooner.

As her eyes laid on the guy in front of her, whom she fell in love with since that day they were sprawled under the hut with the raindrops as their lullaby, she found him staring intently at her as tears welled up in his beautiful brown orbs.

"Wae?" She asked, his last words ringing in her ears.

There was a short silence before the next words slipped out from his mouth that made her question if she was just hearing things.

"You should know..that if you come any closer.." He paused and took a sharp breath as he held her gaze.

"I'm never letting you go."

Joy felt tears flowing down her cheeks, surprised upon hearing the words she didn't expected from him, yet she so longed to hear.

"So if you're not sure about this, about us, it's your last chance t-" Sungjae continued but was cut off as he felt two small arms wrapped around his neck which made him almost lost his balance.

Good thing he was stronger than the lady who was now pressing her face unto his neck and silently sobbing.

When he realized what was happening, a huge smile appeared on his face.

He s his arms around Joy's waist and pulled her closer. He felt her tighten her arms around him as he rested his chin on her shoulders, his hand found comfort in patting the back of her head.

He closed his eyes as tears fell, savoring the moment of finally being able to hold her in his arms again.

Joy was sniffling, still clinging on Sungjae's neck. She didn't know it would feel this good to be held by him again. The days of not being with him and how painful it was came to mind, and it made her hold him tighter.

"Sooyoung-ah..."

"Hmm..?" She hummed in response as she heard her most favorite voice in the world, but didn't bother to move from her position.

"You know, I still plan on being with you for a really long time..so I'd appreciate it if you don't kill me today."

It came almost as a whisper, that was the only way his voice could come out as she was holding his neck tightly.

Hearing his croaked voice, her eyes widened realizing that she was choking him and immediately freed his poor neck.

"Omoo..omoo! Mianhe, oppa."

Joy pulled away to look at him and saw the streaks of tears in his cheeks.

Using her thumb, she brushed his cheeks while her eyes explored his face that she missed all these years. It was still as perfect as she remembered the last time they were this close.

Sungjae was just silently watching Joy watch him.

His heart was busy doing somersaults inside his chest, and he was well aware that his ears were as red as a tomato but he couldn't care less.

He was too occupied in looking at her that he didn't even notice he was barely breathing, amazed at how she can still be so beautiful even with swollen eyes and a messy hair.

Wondering why she suddenly stopped brushing his cheeks, he looked down to catch her staring at his lips.

It made him chuckle and flicked her forehead to which she exclaimed with her high pitched voice. "Ah!"

"Neo jinjja, you're still dirty minded." He chortled while retreating his hand from her forehead back to her waist.

"Museon soriya?! I'm not!" There goes her cute pout as she starts hitting him lightly on the chest.

With a fake groan, Sungjae blocked her hand with his right one.

"Arasso, arasso. Apa." He says, rubbing his chest that took her hits before pulling her close.

Joy couldn't wipe the smile off her face as Sungjae's strong arms enveloped her small frame.

They were interrupted when her phone rang out of nowhere and Irene's loud voice greeted her asking where she was before she could even say hi.

After the brief call, they decided to go down before her leader starts calling security to look for her.

With his fingers laced with hers, she starts to turn around so they can leave but was pulled back when Sungjae didn't budge. She opened to ask why he wasn't moving, but was cut off when her face softly landed on a hard surface.

Realizing it was his chest, she immediately encircled her hands around his waist with that stupid grin still dancing on her lips.

"I'm sure Irene noona can wait a few more minutes."

Sungjae spoke with a husky voice that seemed to compel her to nod right away.

His hands were splayed on her hair, distracting her from thinking properly, well, from thinking at all. "I missed you too much, I don't think I can let you go home today."

He felt her body vibrate as a giggle escaped her.

Joy could feel how much Sungjae meant his words by the way he was holding her, and the way his eyes twinkled in those moments she caught him staring at her in the short time they've been together.

And she missed him just as much, if not more, that she couldn't explain it in words but she wanted to tell him anyway.

"I missed you too, oppa, so so much."

She could sense him smiling through her hair and it was like her heart was about to explode out of her ribcage, too much happiness.

"And I'm not going home."

That line caused Sungjae to break away from the hug. He met Joy's eyes with knitted brows and asked. "Huh?"

"I'm already home."

Her answer caught him off guard, but it was still too much for them to handle that they just burst out laughing, their fingers curling as they cringed at the same time.

Some things never really change.

*****

At the foot of Red Velvet's waiting room door, two figures were talking to each other with low voices and entwined hands.

"Where do you think she is?" the soft voice inquired, fiddling with her boyfriend's hand.

"My guess is that they're together. Wanna bet? The loser gets a kiss." It was a strange bet, but Minhyuk intended it because he was 70% sure that he will win.

He saw his girl lightly blushing as she argued that it was an unfair deal.

Then her cute expression turned to a surprised one as her eyes caught two people walking towards them while replicating their actions, hands laced together.

Seeing Irene's reaction, he didn't need to follow her gaze to know what made her so stunned.

He knew he definitely won the bet.

Turning his head around anyway, he saw their maknae hand in hand with his girl's member. It was clear that the two were in their own world, facing each other while talking—arguing cutely about something inaudible.

Finally sensing Minhyuk and Irene's presence, Sungjae and Joy slowly shifted their heads towards the older couple.

They were met with Irene's dumbfounded look and Minhyuk's sly smile. "So...I see that you're done getting some fresh air, Park Sooyoung."

Joy just smiled shyly, moving a bit behind Sungjae. She remembered how she told their leader that she was getting some air when she called.

"I didn't have time to explain, unnie. Mian."

Sungjae quickly came to the rescue and reasoned it was his fault for keeping her longer. It left Minhyuk and Irene shaking their heads in disbelief.

The last time they saw them together they were playing human dodgeball, and now they're already saving each other from getting in trouble.

"Well, at last, our familyship is finally complete. But..we need some explanations so say goodbye for now."

Minhyuk commented, and bid farewell to Irene by planting a kiss on her cheek before he dragged Sungjae inside their waiting room.

It was a hard job considering the maknae's height and his theatrics of not letting Joy's hand go, which was perfectly mirrored by latter.

Irene was also pulling Joy by the waist as she stretched her arms towards Sungjae's, not wanting to let go.

"Oppa.."

"Sooyoung-ah...I'll see you after this trial."

Sungjae managed to let out before being completely taken inside the waiting room.

s started eyeing him from head to toe like he was wearing a seafood mascot that complemented what they wanted to eat for dinner.

The both of them were put on the hot seat and they briefly explained what happened. Loud screams were heard from BTOB's waiting room accompanied by Eunkwang and Changsub's singing voice every now and then.

From the other side, high pitched shrieks came out from Red Velvet's waiting room with Joy's occasional cry about her shoulders hurting from the girls slaps.

When it was time to go home, Sungjae hurriedly ran across their waiting room and knocked on Red Velvet's door.

It slowly opened but stopped not even halfway through.

"Oppa!" That eye smile was the first thing he saw.

In a split second, Joy got out of the room and dragged him outside. Her members would be a loud mess if they saw them together, and there wasn't much time until their van arrives to pick them up.

He laced their hands together before looking at her. "Can you go outside at this time?"

Joy nodded without second thoughts. "Where are we going?"

"It's a secret," his lips curled into a playful smile seeing her red lips protruding cutely. "I'll pick you up in your dorm in an hour."

"Arasso. Wait, do you know where my dorm is?"

Sungjae lightly pinched her nose bridge as she yelped in protest. "Did you forget?" Eyes widening as if giving her a chance to think for an answer, "Minhyuk hyung?"

Joy gasped, remembering they're not the only couple now in the this familyship. "Ahh..matda!"

Sungjae just watched her moving her head in realization.

Tracing the features of her beautiful face with his eyes. Who knew this day would still come, being close to her and being able to hold her again. He didn't, he hoped but never thought it would really happen.

"..bringing anything?" Joy's small voice brought him back to Earth. The lines on his forehead showed suggesting his confusion, "Eoh?"

"I said, should I be bringing anything?" Joy repeated wearing a sweet smile.

"Ahh..ani, i only need you." They both laughed at his antics.

After meeting up not-so-secretly in front of their waiting rooms and exchanging numbers, they went home to their dorms. But not before drowning each other in hugs that they almost got caught by some of the staffs passing by.

*****

Joy literally just got out of the shower, her fastest one in over a year, when her phone rang making her jump in surprise.

Sungjae's caller ID registered on her phone screen and she excitedly slid the answer button.

"Oppa!" she exclaimed, watching droplets of water dripping on the floor from her hair.

"Sooyoung-ah! I'm here!" His voice mirrored her excitement.

She panicked upon hearing his statement, still not done with her after shower preparations. It wasn't even an hour yet he's already reached her dorm.

"Mwo?? A-ani..I'm not done yet and it's still 45 minutes sinc-"

His laugh echoed through the phone, making her stop mid-sentence.

"Gwaenchanha, I can wait. I've waited for years, what's 15 minutes more?"

Her lips stretched upwards before telling Sungjae she'll be down in a few and hung up.

After more than 15 minutes, Sungjae could see someone running from the inside of the building. 

A smile was automatically drawn on his lips as he saw Joy's features, with a cap and a mask, stopping just outside the main door. 

She moved her head from left to right as if looking for something, or in this case someone.

Just as she was about to get her phone from her bag, Sungjae got out of the car and walked towards her with a bright smile.

Her lips curled seeing him, but shortly after, a frown replaced it as she realized he was only wearing a cap and nothing to cover his face.

"Yah..why are you not wearing a mask?!" she hissed as he arrived in front of her.

Sungjae just grinned as a response before wrapping his arms around her shoulders and pulling her in his embrace. Though worried that someone might see them, hi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter