Verse Four

Maybe This Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sungjae froze, hearing what she just called him. Memories came rushing back, all the happy times they had, along with the pain.

That was the first time she called him like that again in a long time, and his heart was already trying to get out of his chest. May it be of nervousness, happiness, sadness or even anger, he wasn't sure.

He closed his eyes tightly and inhaled, trying to contain the surge of emotions inside him before calmly turning to face her. With raised eyebrows, he looked at her, fist curled up to restrain himself from showing any unnecessary emotion.

Joy bit her lip to control the tears that were about to betray her as her mind struggled for something to say.

She was surprised at herself for calling him that, her voice got out before she could even stop it. All she knew was that she missed him, so much that her heart was making her do things she should avoid.

"Uh..hm..," she stuttered, lost between his gaze and the abnormal beating of her heart.

Sungjae was silently waiting for her response, and it was making her more anxious than ever. She breathed, about to say something but was cut off by his words.

"If you don't have anything to say anymore, I'll go now," he coldly said, eyes eagerly waiting for an answer. When there was still none, he slightly bowed at her and turned around.

"I..," Joy whispered, voice almost husky because of the tears she was holding back, it made him stop on his tracks. She draw a sharp breath before continuing her words, "..miss you."

Her tears slowly fell like how those words did, letting the emotions she's been holding back for a long time take over. The confidence she built up in being able to stay away from him was no use now that she's in front of him.

Sungjae was just standing there with his back on her, too stunned to move as he felt a pang in his chest. He should be happy, he finally heard the words he wanted from her. But it was different, he felt like he was being played a joke on.

As he turned to look at Joy, tears were already flowing in her eyes while looking at him.

He wanted to move closer to her, to touch her and pull her in his arms, but he was too confused about everything.

Sungjae sought the floor for a few moments before slowly looking at her. Pain was evident on his face when she looked at him through her tears. "W-wh-at did you say?"

Silence.

Her voice seem to have dug itself deeper in as no words came out from . Her heart was being crushed seeing him in so much pain, one that she caused.

"Why.." Sungjae breathed heavily, that was the only way to delay his tears from falling. "Why would you suddenly say that?"

"Oppa.." Joy's voice trailed off, still unsure of what she should say.

"Why Joy?"

"I-I just..because..because..I do, I miss you.." She reasoned, tears flowing again in her once tear-streaked face.

Sungjae roughly ran his hands on his face before facing her again.

"After all this time? After all the things you did to avoid me and everything I did to not lose contact with you, you're saying you miss me? I-I.." He inhaled sharply, his emotions was already too much for him to handle that he wasn't able to stop himself anymore.

Joy was just standing there, listening to his words while tears continued to flow.

"I don't understand. Please make me understand, Joy. Did I do something wrong?"

"No, oppa, you didn't do anything wrong." She immediately replied.

"Then why did you do that? Tell me, so I'll know. W-w-hat, you..you didn't like me anymore? Was that the reason? You could've just told me instead of-"

"No! That's not it! That's not it, oppa. You didn't do anything wrong. Nothing. I-I-t's just me. I was.." She stuttered, her brain wasn't cooperating at all and her heart was throbbing painful making it hard for her to talk. "..I was just confused and..and things got complicated." It was a half lie.

"So you just decided to leave me hanging. And now you're telling me that you.." He chuckled bitterly unable to finish his sentence, his eyes already betrayed him as the tears fell.

"I'm not something you can

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter