Chapter VIII - Narcissus

Its Not My Fault

His hand flicked like a conducter to the tempo of the Nocturne that played from the speakers in his houses ceiling, eyes shut with a sort of serene feeling. 

His grandparents and dad would be dropping by the house to burn incense, and Jeno wasn't excited. It was always awkward between them since he didn't even know they existed until after his mothers death, already too old to grow a familial attachment to them. 

His dad would sometimes bring his daughter and wife, both of which were decent to talk to, but weren't to Jeno's liking; he'd much prefer a silent, lonely home. 

The painting constructed in front of him was the same one he had painted after being inspired by the cute florist, a boy that seemed to linger in the back of Jenos mind. He didn't know what he painted, or what it meant. Trying to decipher all of it; why was there no absolute face? Why did he paint everything except the lilies in black and white? Who was the person in the painting? Why were they facing away? When Jeno painted, he didn't think of what he was going to do, and instead let his hand be carried away in a whisk of emotions. It didn't make sense, and he never thought about planning things out but somehow always knew what he was painting. It was confusing, even to him. 

The wealthy buyers that bought from him and the professors that often scrutinized his work in musuems claimed him to be a prodigy, but Jeno preferred being a painter

Why were the lilies white? What does that even mean? 

Squinting at the piece, he moved to grab his phone and look it up on google — he remembers they were his moms favorite but not why. 

Sadly, seeing the influx of messages and notifications sent anxiety rushing through him. He didn't want to reply, it was too much, and all the work offers were far to intimidating for shy little Jeno even though he appreciated such large names reaching out and asking for a collaboration or the possibility of featuring one of his pieces. Turning his phone off, he wandered over to the kitchen, chugging a cup of coffee while looking at the time. 

There was one person he knew he could ask about white lillies.