Chapter IV - Budding Flowers

Its Not My Fault

Jeno was half asleep the entire car ride, jumping in surprise when the taxi driver alerted him they were at the flower shop. Kindly thanking the man and paying, Jeno pulled his coat together in attempts to stay warm, noticing it was much colder than usual. 

Reminding him of the painting on his wall, was the date on his phone. His mothers death was coming up again. 

The fragile pink lit neon sign made him push the worries of the funeral service away, walking into the thankfully warm store. 

Eyes lighting up when he noticed a cute worker in a brown knit sweater this time, watering the plants with the utmost care. The bell rang as he fully stepped in, said worker looking up from the pink flower he had been paying attention to. 

"Oh! Jeno! Ready for the flowers? I'll run to the back to get them," he sang, wiping his hands on his green apron. 

Jeno just smiled softly at the easy going boy. The vibe in the store was so nice and homey, warm and comforting. Just what he needed. 

"You're the boy from yesterday right?" A female voice asked, face popping out from behind some hanging plants, stepping forward and offering a bow, "Thanks for shopping at our store, its nice to meet you, I'm Lina," 

"Jeno, nice to meet you too," he bowed, slipping his hands in his pockets awkwardly. Girls scared Jeno. 

"I wouldn't mind if you came more often, such a bright smile has to be good for the flowers too," Lina giggled lightly, a hand oddly Jeno's arm. 

After a moments confusion, realization hit him in the face. She was hitting on him.

Duh, thats what people usually do. 

Which was weird, because if Jeno could recall, wasn't she dating Jaemin? He laughed back kindly, but slightly uncomfortable, Jaemin seemed to notice as he came back—either that or her just felt like yelling at Lina to "Stop driving away cute customers," 

The cute part made Jeno's cheeks heat up, and didn't go unnoticed as the flower boy raised a brow with a smile. 

"What? I'm sure you get called cute all the time," 

The older was flustered, gulping harshly in attempt to calm his heart, "T-thats-...no, not really," 

Jaemin chuckled, looking the other way for a second and then handing over the bouquet, "I agree with Lina though, I wouldn't mind if you came often,"

The bouquet looked even better than yesterday, carefully wrapped in a soft yellow plastic and a white bow around it. Sincerely looking back up at Jaemin, Jeno thanked him, "It looks perfect, I'll definitely be back," 

Catching himself staring way too long for it to be normal, he blushed for the second time that day.

Back into the cold air that nipped at his nose, he checked the time as he got in the taxi, happy he would be a bit early. 

Jeno had been extremely lucky the past year; in his final semester of college he ran into two freshmen with completely different majors in the library, Jisung and Chenle. All of them clung to each other right off the bat, always meeting up for lunch at a cafe even after Jeno graduated, along with a groupchat that never shut up. Chenle added in one of his friends a few months ago, Renjun, who seemed extremely nice, and was just as funny. He had only met Renjun four times though, only when he was in town since he travelled for a living as an instagrammer. 

Singing the tune to a song that had played in the taxi, Jeno climbed up the stairs to the graduation building and found his way inside, glancing at the area Jisung had told him to sit in. 

The flowers almost fell from his grip when he saw two people already seated that he was unaware of. 

Their hands were intertwined, interestingly talking to the other until one of their eyes looked over at Jeno. 

Pulling his hand away from the other, Donghyuck blinked a bit and stood up politely with a nervous swallow, "Ah, Jeno?"

Hesitating a bit, he looked from his flowers and back up, gesturing to them with a cheeky grin, "A friend's graduating," 

"M-me too! His name's Jisung,"

Silence. 

Hyuck processed the silence with a small understanding snap at the end, "You're here for him too? See Mark, I knew we should've brought something!" He pulled at his boyfriend who just winced at the action, telling the younger to sit down. 

Already, Jeno was getting a headache. First he had to leave the house first thing in the day, was reminded of the upcoming death anniversary, had blushed in front of a cute boy too many times, and now was conversing with someone who hadn't talked to him for ten years after ditching him. What a great day. Jeno was jealous of their obsession over the other, wishing someday he would have someone like that, no matter how unlikely that dream sounded.

Sitting down on the seat by the stairs, he scrolled through his phone to wait for Chenle and Renjun who both texted in the group chat they were on their way. 

 

Sungie☀️:

im so nervous

seriously im sweating everywhere

let me punch something

im gonna start levitating soon

 

Jeno: 

omg it will be fine

dont even stress ur just walking

everything else is done!

 

Sungie☀️: 

thats not what im talking about

 

Jeno:

wdym

 

Sungie☀️:

im asking chenle out after the graduation

 

Jeno:

Huh

WHAT

WAIT WHAT

SINCE WHEN

WAIT UR GAY

 

Sungie☀️:

R u seRIOUS

I TRY TO BE SO OBVIOUS

AM I REALLY NOT THAT NOTICABLE

DO YOU THINK HE EVEN LIKES ME THAT WAY???

 

Jeno:

O

IDK

I HAVE LIKE ZERO GAYDAR

 

Sungie☀️:

well duh ik that

whatever

i love him 

hopefully it will go well

that or im committing

 

Jeno:

only gays are this dramatic

how could i not have noticeD

POWER COUPLE PERHAPS

 

Sungie☀️:

HSJSJSJ SHUT

IM TURNING MY PHONE OFF ITS BOUTA START BYE

 

Giggling a little, Jeno tucked away his phone. Feeling eyes on him, he turned towards Hyuck, the older giving a small and, as if saying something, something like, I've missed you.

 

no, you haven't.

Smiling back, Jeno placed the bouquet on his lap, watching the graduation start, Chenle and Renjun barging in twenty minutes late.