Chapter VI - Soft Petals

Its Not My Fault

Jeno had eaten well for the first time in a long time, not only that but enjoyed the company, not even minding the clean up after. 

The two parents excitedly told Jeno to come over more often if his family allowed it, seeming to enjoy his company just as much as they waved him off. 

Putting on his shoes, he watched as Jaemin stood in the doorway, mumbling some things to his parents before coming back to the other. 

"Those flowers really work by the way," Jeno randomly brought up, "He went from single to in a relationship after getting them, and I say its all thanks to the flowers,"

Blushing a bit, the younger auburn haired boy playfully shoved Jeno, making a gesture with his fingers, "I just have magic hands,"

Jeno's face screamed you--did-not-just-say-that, bursting into laughter.

Both of them wallowed in the silence for a few seconds until Jaemin spoke up  

"I hope they didn't scare you off," closing the door behind him as they walked through the shop for Jeno to leave, "They all mean well, but can be a bit nosy,"

"I told you before, they did nothing of the sort," Jeno countered, "I just hope I wasn't a bother,"

"Of course not! You even helped clean up, they probably love you," Jaemin nudged the older.

He smiled fondly, "Thank you for having me though, it was wonderful. Tell Lina the soup tasted amazing," Jeno bowed, stepping out into the breezy winter night. 

Jaemin shuddered at the slight cold that entered the store. 

Cute. 

"Well, get home safely, and tell your parents I'm sorry for taking you the whole night," Jaemin joked with his -eating grin, something Jeno had come to enjoy. 

Nodding, Jeno left, not wanting to force the younger to stay in the cold longer purely so he could chat.

Somehow his house felt more lonely than usual--- as if that was possible. A slight sigh left his lips, turning on the hall light so he could see the way to his room, slowing to turn the heater up a bit. Just as he was about to enter his room, he hesitated, and opened the door across from it instead, darkness and a slight decrease in temperature surrounding him. A flick of the light brightened it up, but there still remained a disconnected feel.

Going over, he brushed off a thin layer of dust that gathered on the table, readjusting the photograph so it sat in the middle. Sitting casually across from it, he smiled, "Mom, I think I felt what family feels like, today... it was really nice.. it was weird, they talked about things that didn't matter—things you'd easily forget, but it wasn't the point, it was kind of like a bonding...? I guess? That was important," eyes boring a hole into the bare wall, he didn't even realize the smile on his face at the memory of Jaemin brightly laughing with his family, "It makes me wonder, if you were alive, would we be like that too?"