Chapter IX - Lily

Its Not My Fault

Shutting the door of his taxi, Jeno began walking down to a store he felt that he visited far too often. Stopping to watch, he smiled fondly as Jaemin helped an older lady pick out flowers with the most beautiful gleam. 

Its was the umpteenth time Jeno felt heat rise through him just by watching Jaemin. It was weird and it was definitely creepy — he would never be able to tell anyone about it out loud. Picking his feet back up again, he trailed behind Jaemin and the older lady as they entered the store for her to pay.

Jeno wandered over to the corner where he had seen the lilies before (if he recalled correctly), eyes landing right on the shining flowers. 

Somewhat captivating, he thought as he stared at them, amazed by how nature could create something so delicate and beautiful—but then again, nature had produced the unreal Na Jaemin.

Speaking of Na Jaemin, the green sweater clad boy popped behind the older with a smile, hands lightly holding Jeno's shoulder, "Surprise! What are you doing?"

Jaemin was very cute, in every aspect of the word.

Chuckling, Jeno pointed at the lilies, "I'm here to get a bouquet of white lilies," 

A small hum left the youngers lips, "Boo, I thought you were here for me," Jaemin pouted, crossing in front of Jeno to get the flowers, "Special occassion?"

"...not really. They're just my moms favorite," he cooly replied, sliding his hands into his back pockets as Jaemin started sizing the stems.

"Really? Then we have something in common,"

Brow perking, Jeno walked closer, leaning against the table the flowers stood on, "Oh? Why's that? Do they mean something?"

Jaemin scoffed before turning to Jeno incredulously, "Literally all flowers have a meaning, whether you create it yourself or go off the past," returning to cutting the flowers with a more gentle face, admiring them himself, "Passion, promise, hope—thats what most people think of when they see lillies, but the lily symbolizes the freedom to be yourself; vulnerability," taking the flowers he cut, he gestured at himself with them, a soft smile on his lips as he looked at Jeno, "And thats something thats hard for me to be,"

What is this? The constricting of his chest, feeling the beat of his heart pulse through his entire body, he was sure everyone could hear it as well with how loud it was, and the weakness in his legs. What is this? The feeling of warmth that Jaemin radiated, and the glow that surrounded him, he was beautiful, more so than ever, and almost every action seemed to chase Jeno's breath away, even the simplest as him tying a bow around the flowers. 

What is this? He asked himself for the third time, noticing the way Jaemins soft lashes hit against the bottom when his eyes closed, and his hair that fell in his face that he tried to blow away with no success, and all the little things that suddenly seemed as if they had been put in a microscope. 

"But, of course, your mom may have a different meaning, the greeks believed they signified motherhood," Jaemin added, ringing up the bouquet at the register already, Jeno jist barely noticing they had moved across the room, "Here," he held it out, reading the price. 

Jeno felt his blood burn, it felt the same it did when he had first discovered painting, he wanted to splash this and that, but the difference was that this time, it wasn't from anger or sadness, it wasn't from frustration and loneliness. 

Jisung, I think I know what you meant. 

Jeno held the bouquet in his grip, plucking one of the flowers out with a glowing grin, raising it to Jaemin, "A promise—that you can always be vulnerable around me,"

It was the first time he had seen Jaemin make such a face, one full of bashfulness and embarrassment, full of flattery. 

And suddenly it didn't matter whether he was straight or not, it didn't matter whether he loved him back or not, what mattered was that smile on Jaemins lips that put all the flowers in the store to shame. 

 

I think I'm in love.