Chapter 06

Indebted

As promised, Yoongi picked her up first thing in the morning. The journey had been quiet, but not uncomfortable. Yoongi was pleased to notice that she looked much better rested than she had the night before. Soft music played from the car’s stereo and both were happy to enjoy each other’s company without feeling the need to fill the silence.

 

 

When they were close to her home, Soo Jin turned to Yoongi. “Hey, can I ask you a favour?” she asked a little hesitantly. “Sure.” Yoongi said as he glanced at her before looking back at the road. “Can you not tell my parents about the area I stay in?” she asked. “They know that I moved recently and I told them that I moved to a decent area in Seoul. I don’t want them to be worried about me.” Yoongi nodded, understanding why she hadn’t told them the truth of her living situation. “Yeah, I won't say anything.” He promised, shooting her a reassuring smile. “Thanks.” She said, settling back in her seat, thankful that he hadn’t questioned her for the request.

 

She guided him to her home, surprise showing on his face when they stopped outside of a small restaurant. “Your parents own this place?” he asked as he took in the building. It was on the small side and was a little rundown, but it radiated warmth, it looked like a place where he could easily spend a lot of time. She nodded, looking a little self-conscious. “Yeah, I know it’s not much, but my parents set up this place right after they got married. They’ve been running it since before I was born.” She said, her tone laced with pride at her parent’s hard work and dedication.

 

Yoongi got out of the car, the salty smell of the ocean immediately hitting him. He took a deep breath as he stretched, his muscles cramped from driving for so long. “It’s not even lunch time and it already looks quite busy.” He remarked as he looked through the windows of the restaurant. Soo Jin came up by his side, “Yeah, they're usually quite busy during the day. Along with the restaurant my mum sells some of the seafood as well, so some people are just there to buy, not to eat.” She said. “Come on, let’s go in.” she said as she made her way towards the restaurant.

 

A few people greeted her as they approached the restaurant, she replied to all of them, a smile on her face. A few of them stared at Yoongi, obviously curious as to who he was. He was glad that he had decided to dress comfortably in jeans and a t-shirt, he didn’t look too out of place. Soo Jin pushed open the door of the restaurant, a woman who was unmistakeably her mother calling out a ‘welcome’ as she turned to face her, her smile almost splitting her face in two when her gaze landed on Soo Jin.

 

“Soo Jin!” she almost squealed as she rushed forward and pulled her daughter into a tight hug. Yoongi was astonished by the similarity between Soo Jin and her mother. They had the same eyes, and shape of face, their smiles looking like mirror images of each other’s. A man appeared from the back of the restaurant, obviously her father. Yoongi noted that Soo Jin must have taken her height from her father, as there was over a foot in difference between her mother and father. “Soo Jin!” her father said as he joined his wife and daughter, wrapping his arms around them both in a brief hug.

 

“How are you both?” Soo Jin asked as she looked between the two of them. “Everything is going well here, honey.” Her mother said as she took Soo Jin’s hand into her own, obviously glad to have her daughter by her side once again. “You know us, we keep ourselves out of trouble.” Her father said with a hearty chuckle as he spotted Yoongi. “And who is this handsome young man?” he remarked. Soo Jin turned back to Yoongi and motioned for him to come forward. He stepped up beside Soo Jin, bowing deeply towards her parents.

 

“This is my boss and my friend, Yoongi. He drove me here this morning.” She said, noticing her mother’s eyes roaming down Yoongi’s frame. She pulled Soo Jin to the side, lifting her hand to cover . “He’s so good looking!” she said, far too loudly to be a whisper, obviously meaning for Yoongi to hear. Yoongi let out a chuckle, lifting his hand to cover his mouth while Soo Jin and her father laughed. “I’m so sorry about my wife, she has a thing for pretty boys.” Soo Jin’s father said with a chuckle. “If it was up to her this entire restaurant would be covered in posters of those actors from all those dramas she watches. How someone as plain as me managed to marry her is still a mystery.” He said making them all laugh.

 

“You know that all girls like looking at those pretty boys, but we prefer kind hearted boys that can make us laugh.” Her mum replied. Soo Jin leaned in closer to Yoongi, “Yeah, but I don’t know if she’d still be saying that if she’d had the chance to meet Shinhwa.” She whispered with a chuckle. Her mother slapped her arm playfully, “Don’t say that! Your handsome friend will assume the worst about me.” she said with a laugh. “Come and sit down.” She said as she ushered to the two of them to a table, her father bringing them all drinks.

 

“So…” Her mother said before clearing . “How long have you two been dating?” she asked, making both Yoongi and Soo Jin choke on their drinks. “Mum!” Soo Jin said, suddenly unable to look in Yoongi’s direction. “He’s a friend! And my boss!” she said, hoping that she wasn’t blushing. Her mother crossed her arms as she examined the two in front of her. “And he drove you all the way out here at the crack of dawn?” she asked disbelievingly. Soo Jin nodded, “Yes! He’s doing me a favour!” she protested, discreetly checking that the mark on her wrist was covered.

 

Her mother hummed as she looked between the two, but she decided to let it go. “Okay, if that’s your story.” She said as she held her hands up in surrender. “I mean if you’re not dating him, it’s your loss.” Soo Jin shot her father a desperate look and he smiled back at her. “We should really be preparing for the lunch rush.” He said as he rested a hand on his wife’s shoulder. “Ah, that’s right! I completely forgot!” she said as she jumped to her feet. “Stay there and we’ll sort you both something to eat, then you can go visit your grandma. Your father and I always go up at night because we’re busy with the restaurant during the day so she’ll be happy for the company.” She said as she hurried into the kitchen. Soo Jin mouthed a ‘thank you’ to her dad who patted her shoulder before heading into the kitchen.

 

Soo Jin turned back to Yoongi, “I’m so sorry about that.” She said, feeling embarrassed by her mother’s words. Yoongi shook his head, “It’s okay.” he said with a chuckle. “Your parents are really nice.” He said as he looked through the open doorway which led into the kitchen, watching her parents busily cooking in the kitchen. Soo Jin looked through the door, her gaze full of affection. “Do you want to sit outside?” she asked suddenly. “We have a small terraced area which overlooks the ocean.” She said. Yoongi nodded and followed her out to the small terrace.

 

“This is amazing.” He said as he sat under the shade of an oversized, stripped umbrella. Soo Jin took the seat next to him so that she could share the view with him. “This is the table I always used to sit at to do my homework when I was a kid. I used to love sitting here and listening to the ocean when I was studying. It was so peaceful and calm.” She said, a soft smile on her face. Yoongi looked around to her, a smile appearing on his own face as he took in her serene expression. Her mother appeared sometime later with plate upon plate of food.

 

“Mum, there's no way we’ll eat all this!” she said as her mother covered the entire table with more than enough food for the two of them. “Well I don’t know what you like Yoongi.” She said turning to face the handsome demon, “So I decided to play it safe and just make a little of everything. If there's anything else you want, don’t hesitate to ask.” She said with a warm smile as she headed back into the restaurant. “This looks amazing.” Yoongi said as he took in the full table in front of them. “I hope you like it.” Soo Jin said as she picked up her chopsticks and started eating. She had missed the taste of her parent’s cooking since she had moved away.

 

Yoongi started to eat, his jaw almost dropping at the taste. “Oh my god.” He said. “This is amazing. I may need to move out here.” He said with a laugh as he helped himself to more. Soo Jin chuckled, “Don’t say that to my mum, I think she’d happily adopt you.” She said with a laugh. Yoongi smirked at her, “I think she's set on having me as a son in law.” He said, loving the expression that covered her face. “Shut up.” she shot back, a smile on her face as they both ate their fill. The two of them were starving after the early morning start, neither of them the type to have breakfast.

 

They ate more of the food than they had anticipated they would be able to manage, but there was still plenty leftover. Yoongi leant back in his chair, his legs stretched out in front of him. “I am so full.” He said with a contented sigh. Soo Jin mimicked his pose, “Me too. It’s been too long since I had my parent’s cooking.” She said as she looked over her shoulder at her parents who were busy dealing with the lunchtime rush which had started up whilst they had been eating.

 

Soo Jin pushed herself up with a groan. “I’m gonna take these plates back in.” she said as she started clearing the table. “I’ll help.” Yoongi said as he moved to stand up. “No, it’s okay. You just rest. I’ll be done in no time.” she said as she grabbed the first load of plates and took them inside the restaurant. Yoongi admired the ocean while he waited, enjoying the soothing sound of the waves breaking on the shore mingled with the spicy scent of food and salt air all around him.

 

Once the table was cleared, Soo Jin appeared by his side. “I’m going to head up to the hospital now.” She said. Yoongi stood up and faced her. “I’ll take you.” He offered. “It’s okay. You don’t get out of the city much, right? Surely you'd have more fun on the beach or around the town?” she said. He shook his head. “I don’t mind. I’ll take you.” He said, an easy smile on his face which Soo Jin returned. “Okay. Let’s go.”

 

 

They said goodbye to her parents and stopped off to buy some flowers before they went to the hospital. As they were walking towards her grandma’s room Yoongi asked her why her grandma was hospitalized. “She has problems with her heart, not that you'd think it when you see her. My dad often jokes that she’ll outlive us all.” She said as she stopped outside of one of the rooms. Yoongi held the flowers he had bought, her hands full of her grandma’s favourite sweets from Seoul.

 

They both stepped into the room and her grandma beamed at them both. “Soo Jin!” she called opening her arms for her granddaughter. “Grandma.” Soo Jin said as she rushed to her grandma’s side. “How are you feeling?” she asked worriedly. Her grandma scoffed, “Bloody doctors.” She cursed making Yoongi suppress a chuckle. “They want to keep me in for at least another week! For observation they say. Load of rubbish if you ask me.” she said with a sniff. Soo Jin chuckled, “Just be good and listen to what the doctors say.” She scolded lightly.

 

Her grandma looked over at Yoongi, “And who is this handsome stranger?” she asked as she looked over Yoongi. “Did you find yourself a nice husband in Seoul?” she asked approvingly. “Grandma!” Soo Jin whined while Yoongi could only chuckle for once again being mistaken as Soo Jin’s partner. He stepped forward and held out the flowers. “These are for you. My name is Min Yoongi.” He said with a charming smile. Her grandma took the flowers with a smile. “He’s very polite as well. Well done.” She said with a cheeky smile in Soo Jin’s direction.

 

“Grandma! He's just a friend!” Soo Jin said while Yoongi could only laugh. “I don’t see him denying it.” Her grandma said with a smile. “You'd be lucky to date someone like my granddaughter.” She said, her focus on Yoongi, completely ignoring Soo Jin’s cries of protest. “She was always at the top of her class. A really smart girl. Too smart for this small town. That’s why she got out, made her own way in Seoul.” She said, oblivious to Soo Jin’s embarrassment. “Yeah, she's definitely an amazing woman.” Yoongi said, making Soo Jin blush. Her grandma smiled between the two of them, “That she is.”