Chapter 12

Indebted

Three days had passed since Yoongi had found out the truth behind the marks on his and Soo Jin’s wrists.

 

Three days since he hadn’t been able to look her in the eye.

 

Three days since they had eaten a meal together.

 

Three days since he had been able to stay in the same room as her without having to fight with the urge to kiss her.

 

 

“What is going on Namjoon?” Yoongi growled as he paced the length of his friend’s study. His hair was in disarray from being pushed away from his forehead so many times. “What exactly is the problem?” Namjoon asked as he pushed his glasses further up his nose. “I can’t bear being in the same room as her. It’s like whenever she's anywhere near me every one of my nerves become hyper aware of her.” he said as he resisted the urge to kick over a stack of books.

 

“Yesterday!” he half shouted, startling the older demon. “She came out of the shower and the second she opened the door I could smell her shampoo and it took every ounce of self-control I had to stop myself from launching myself at her!” he growled as he fell into the seat opposite Namjoon, his elbows resting on his knees as his head fell into his hands.

 

Namjoon gave his friend a sympathetic look. “Everything will work out. Have you thought about telling her?” he asked, wincing slightly from the glare Yoongi threw at him. “I’ve already told you that it’s not an option.” He grumbled, falling back into his chair. Namjoon sighed, “Then I don’t know what else to tell you. I’ll keep researching, but I don’t know what else to tell you.” He said apologetically.

 

Yoongi let out a loud groan, running his hand down his face. “I need to sort this out. She definitely knows that somethings up. I can’t keep on avoiding her forever.” He mumbled. His phone beeped with an incoming message. He pulled out his phone, a notification from Soo Jin on the screen.

 

Hey. It’s my turn to do the shopping. Let me know if there's anything you need.

 

Yoongi frowned at the message. He felt guilty that he had been avoiding her, but he didn’t know what else to do. He stuffed his phone back into his pocket and stood up. “I need to head out. Message me if you find out anything else.” He said, giving Namjoon a wave as he left.

 

 

Soo Jin walked out of the supermarket, cursing herself for buying so much. “I’m never gonna get all this home.” She grumbled as she readjusted her grip on the bags in her hands. A familiar male voice made her look up. “Need a hand with those?” she looked up, Yoongi standing beside his car, a small grin on his face as he watched her struggle with the bags. “Yoongi.” She said, surprised to see him there. She had picked up on his strange behaviour over the past few days so that last thing she had been expecting was for him to turn up at the supermarket out of the blue.

 

Despite her surprise and confusion, a smile made its way onto her face. “Well, these bags are kinda heavy.” She said. Yoongi chuckled at stepped towards her, ignoring the way his heartbeat picked up as he grabbed half of the bags, ignoring the smell of flowers that seemed to radiate out of her. Ever since he had found out that she was his mate, there always seemed to be the smell of spring clinging to her. It made him want to nuzzle against her hair and never let her go.

 

He shook his head and opened the boot of his car, easily putting his bags inside before taking the others from Soo Jin and putting them in as well. “How did you know I'd be at this supermarket?” she asked as they got into the car. Yoongi smiled as he fastened his seatbelt. “Easy. You never go into the big one in town because the bus is so infrequent and you never go to the one close by because you don’t want the guy there to judge the amount of snacks that you buy.” He said as he pulled out of the car park. Soo Jin laughed, “You're way too observant.” She remarked.

 

They drove in comfortable silence until they were almost home. It was then that Yoongi spoke up. “I’m sorry.” He said suddenly, catching Soo Jin off guard. “What for?” she asked. “I’ve been acting kinda weird lately and I just wanted to apologise.” He said, giving her a guilty look. “It’s okay.” she said, playing with her fingers. “Is everything okay though? I’ve been kinda worried about you.” She admitted. Yoongi’s heart started thundering in his chest at her words, the urge to hug her almost overwhelming as he forced himself to focus on the road in front of him.

 

“Yeah, just some issues with the club.” He lied. “But everything’s sorted now. No need to worry.” He said, giving her a reassuring half smile. Soo Jin nodded, a sense of relief settling over her. She had been worried about Yoongi’s sudden change in attitude. She had wanted to help him, but he had barely spoken to her, let alone telling her what the issue was. A part of her had been worried that she had done something to piss him off. But the bigger part of her was just simply worried about him.

 

He had spent the past several days looking like the weight of the world had been on his shoulders and she had wanted to help, in any way that she could. She couldn’t help but smile at seeing him smiling and talking to her again.

 

 

That night, after they had eaten dinner, Yoongi told her that he had to go to the club to help Seokjin out. She had the night off and she planned on spending it watching crappy TV. Yoongi had chuckled at her as she shuffled around the apartment in her fluffy pyjama bottoms, her hair carelessly in a ponytail as she cleared away their plates from dinner. “She's gorgeous even like this.” He mumbled to himself as he watched her from the living room.

 

She looked up and smiled at him, not realizing that he had been staring at her. He cleared his throat and jumped to his feet. “I’m going to shower!” he shouted through to the kitchen as he made his way to the bathroom.

 

Soo Jin quickly finished up clearing away their plates from dinner before helping herself to a bowl of ice cream from the freezer. She plopped down on her favourite armchair in the living room, carefully putting her feet up onto the coffee table, making sure not to disturb Yoongi’s laptop which was lying open, the screen blank from being untouched for so long.

 

She flicked through the channels before putting on a music show, her feet tapping along with the music. She was just about to start eating her ice cream when a sudden noise from Yoongi’s laptop made her jump, her foot kicking his mouse clean off the coffee table. She cursed as she sat up, reaching out and grabbing the mouse from the floor. “I hope it’s not broken.” She mumbled to herself as she clicked the mouse a few times, the screen springing to life. She breathed a sigh of relief as she moved the mouse from side to side, the cursor responding without any issues. She clicked both the buttons on the mouse, making sure they both worked before a folder on Yoongi’s desktop caught her attention.

 

“Marks?” she said, reading the folder title. “Has Yoongi been looking into ways to break our favour marks?” she wondered aloud as she clicked on the folder, several images of their marks appearing in front of her. “I wonder why he didn’t say anything?” she asked as she clicked through the images. After she had looked through all of the images, she opened the next file, her jaw dropping as she read. “This means… this is…” she said as she quickly opened the next file, her hand covering as she read.

 

“I’m his? He’s my? Oh my god.” She muttered, barely believing what she had just read. The sound of the bathroom door opening startled her. She quickly slammed the lid of Yoongi’s laptop shut just as he appeared in the living room. She forced her eyes onto the TV, not sure how to look at him after what she had just found out. Yoongi went into his room and closed his door without saying anything, which Soo Jin was eternally grateful for. She looked down as her bowl of rapidly melting ice cream and suddenly, the sweet smell made her feel ill.

 

She went into the kitchen and threw the bowl into the sink, turning on the hot water to melt away the ice cream. She lost track of how long she stood there, the water hitting the ice cream already running clear, the ice cream long since melted. She looked up when she heard Yoongi’s door opening, his hair still damp from his shower. “I’m gonna head out, don’t wait up.” he shouted through to her as he grabbed his keys. “See you.” She said, not trusting herself to say anything more.

 

She held her breath as she waited for the sound of the front door closing. Once she was sure Yoongi was gone, she rushed back to his laptop, pulling it onto her lap, once again going through every single file there. An hour later, she finally put down the laptop, the TV still playing in the background even though she had no idea what was playing. She stared into space, still in shock from what she had learned. “This is crazy I didn’t know that demons had mates. How could this have happened? We got the marks practically the second we met? This doesn’t make sense.” She said as she ran her hands through her hair in frustration. “It doesn’t make sense.” She repeated.

 

Her head fell forward into her hands. “What the hell am I supposed to do now? I can’t pretend that I don’t know any of this…” she said desperately. She let out a loud groan of frustration, “What am I going to do?”