Chapter 11

Indebted

The drive to the club had been quiet. It wasn’t unusual for silence to occur between the two, but this time it was laced with tenseness. Soo Jin had shifted uncomfortably in her seat as Yoongi drove. He was clearly lost in his own thoughts and a dark aura was seeping out of him. She idly played with her phone as a distraction, his dark mood striking her as odd. He had been his normal self all day. It wasn’t until they had met by the front door to leave that she had noticed that something was off. She had asked him if he was okay, and he had brushed her question aside. Even though she would never admit it out loud, his attitude made her a little upset. Even when they had first met and he had been an outright jerk to her, it had never bothered her. She couldn’t work out why him brushing off her question bothered her so much.

 

She huffed quietly and scrolled through her phone a little more aggressively than before, even though she was barely taking in anything on her screen.

 

A sense of relief washed over her when Yoongi finally pulled into the car park at the back of the club. He walked around to her side of the car, locking the car once she closed her door. “I’ll be in my office.” He said as he walked by her, barely sparing her a glance. She frowned at his back as he went into the building, not waiting for her to follow like he normally would. She followed him through the building which was already half full, despite the early hour. She bumped into Seokjin as she put her things away into the back room. “Hey, Soo Jin. How are you?” he asked, a smile on his handsome face. “I’m good.” She said with a smile which quickly faded.

 

Seokjin cocked his head to better take in her expression. “Are you sure?” he asked, a note of concern in his voice. She nodded, “Yeah, I’m fine but I think there's something bothering Yoongi.” She said, absentmindedly rubbing her arm where her mark was. Seokjin’s eyes landed on the door which lead to Yoongi’s office. “What do you mean?” he asked. Soo Jin shrugged. “I’m not sure. Something just feels off.” She said, not sure how to explain to the handsome demon about the tense atmosphere that had suddenly appeared between them. Seokjin patted her shoulder, “Don’t worry. I’ll talk with him and see what’s bothering him.” He said, giving her a reassuring smile.

 

She smiled back at him, “Thanks, Seokjin.” She said, thankful that the older man would may be able to get to the bottom of Yoongi’s sudden change in behaviour. She went out into the club, saying hello to a few regulars that recognised her. She jumped up onto her favourite stool by Jungkook's end of the bar, the younger man’s face immediately lighting up as soon as he saw her. “Soo Jin nuna!” he greeted loudly, having to shout to be heard over the loud music. A smile automatically made its way on her face as he rushed over to see her. “Hey, Jungkook.” She greeted, thoughts of Yoongi and his weird behaviour being pushed to the back of her mind.

 

 

Yoongi stood by the entrance to the backrooms of the club, his eyes locked onto Soo Jin and Jungkook, both of them laughing at something the handsome demon had said. He could feel his blunt fingernails dig in painfully to the doorframe beside him, a scowl etched onto his face. He flinched when a hand landed on his shoulder. “If you don’t let go of the doorframe you're going to break it.” Seokjin said playfully. Yoongi muttered a curse under his breath and released the frame, his fingers stiff from being tensed up for so long.

 

Seokjin followed Yoongi’s gaze which was still on Soo Jin and Jungkook. “Is this the reason why you're in such a bad mood?” he asked. Yoongi spared the older demon a quick glance before returning his gaze back to Soo Jin, this scowl softening slightly. “It’s not what you think.” He muttered, just loud enough for Seokjin to hear. “Then enlighten me.” Seokjin said as he crossed his arms over his broad chest, casually leaning back against the wall. Yoongi sighed and reluctantly tore his gaze away from Soo Jin, turning to face Seokjin.

 

“You know how a few months ago Soo Jin and I ended up with the favour marks on our wrists?” he asked. Seokjin nodded. “Yeah, you phoned me and cursed a blue streak for a good fifteen minutes before hanging up on me without letting me say anything.” He said, a hint of a smile playing at the corner of his lips. “Well, I did lots of favours for her, nothing dramatic, but it should have been enough to get rid of the marks, but nothing.” He said as he pushed his hair up and away from his face. “So I got curious. I contacted Namjoon and asked him to look into our marks.” He said.

 

“And?” Seokjin asked, eager to hear what Yoongi had to say. “.” Yoongi muttered. “They're not favour marks. They're mate marks.” Seokjin couldn’t hide his surprise, his eyebrows shooting upwards in shock. “Wait, what?” he stuttered. Yoongi sighed, his head tilting back to lean against the wall behind him. “They're mate marks.” He repeated, his gaze once again landing on Soo Jin who was watching the people dancing around her, Jungkook busy serving some customers. Seokjin's gaze flicked between Soo Jin and Yoongi and back again. “Are you sure?” he asked. Yoongi nodded. “Yeah.” He said, bringing his attention back to his friend.

 

A grin appeared on Seokjin's face as he composed himself. “Well, I guess it’s not exactly a bad thing.” He said, his grin widening. “What?” Yoongi asked, his eyebrow cocking upwards. “Think about it!” Seokjin said, becoming excited. “Soo Jin is a lovely girl. She can put up with your sarcasm without so much as blinking an eye and its obvious to see that you like her.” he said cheekily. Yoongi blanched at his words. “W-what? What the hell are you talking about?” he asked indignantly, thankful that the dark lighting in the club hid the slight red tint that was threatening to consume his face.

 

Seokjin gave him a pitying look. “Yoongi, come on. You gave her a contract to sing here for a ridiculous amount of money. That night when she came here and she was exhausted? You looked like all you wanted to do was go and carry her off stage to let her rest. Then I found the two of you practically snuggling in the backroom!” he said. Yoongi opened his mouth to argue, but Seokjin raised a hand to stop him and continued talking.

 

“Plus!” he said, loudly enough to stop Yoongi from interrupting. “You drove her all the way to her hometown and not only that, you met her parents and you stayed the night in her childhood bedroom!” he said, his eyes twinkling with excitement. “Plus!” he said, his voice louder than before, his smile widening, making Yoongi roll his eyes. “The way that you look at her when you think no one is looking. It’s obvious that you like her. Especially when she's with Jungkook.”

 

“I’m not jealous!” Yoongi said, a pout playing on his lips. Jin smirked. “I never said you were.” He retorted making Yoongi curse. “But don’t think your glares at poor Jungkook have gone unnoticed. He was actually the one that brought it to my attention. Any time the two of them are together you look like you want to murder the kid on the spot!” he said, obviously enjoying tormenting his younger friend. “He does it on purpose you know?” Seokjin asked.

 

“Does what?” Yoongi asked, not entirely sure he wanted to hear the answer. “Flirting with Soo Jin. He does it just to rile you up. He’s been desperate for the two of you to start dating.” Yoongi glared in Jungkook's direction. As if sensing the older man’s glare Jungkook looked up, Yoongi not noticing the subtle thumbs up that Seokjin sent Jungkook's way. A wicked grin took over Jungkook's face and he went over to Soo Jin’s side, leaning over the bar and cupping his hand around her ear as if he needed to do that to let her hear him over the loud music.

 

Yoongi’s hands curled into fists as Soo Jin burst out laughing at whatever Jungkook had said, reaching out to playfully slap the young demon on the arm. Jungkook glanced back over at Yoongi with a wide smirk before making himself busy serving a customer.

 

“You’re glaring again.” Seokjin said playfully. Yoongi growled and pushed his hair away from his face. “Remind me to kick the kid’s after his shift.” He grumbled. Seokjin laughed. “You should tell her how you feel.” He said, the playfulness in his voice fading away. “I cant.” Yoongi said, his voice suddenly strained. “I’d need to eventually explain to her what the marks mean and I just can’t do that.” He said, his eyes locked onto the girl who had come to mean so much to him over the past few months.

 

“Why not?” Seokjin asked. “How the hell am I supposed to explain to her that we’re mates? Seokjin, she’d think I was crazy! What if I scared her by telling her that? It’s basically like telling her that she has no choice in the matter! What if I never saw her again?” he said, his voice rising, his heart thundering in his chest at the thought of never being able to see her again. “I can’t take that chance. I don’t want her to find out and to freak out.” He said, his hands once again by his side.

 

“But what if-“

 

“No.” Yoongi said firmly. “I can’t and I won't take that chance.” He said. “What if you told her about your feelings but not about the mark for now?” Seokjin suggested. Yoongi shook his head. “And have her find out later and think that I deceived her all this time? What if she starts to think that my feelings are only because of the mark? She might not understand that it’s my feelings that created the mark, not the other way about.” He looked back at his friend, sadness showing in his eyes. “I can’t risk losing her.” he said as he glanced her way one more time, before heading back into his office, leaving Seokjin standing alone in the corridor.