Chapter 01

Indebted

Yoongi's eyes roamed the busy club, the loud music blasting throughout the entire building, making the floor vibrate with the bass. His gaze landed on a blonde who was sitting alone at the opposite end of the bar. She lifted her glass towards him, a wicked smile which promised so much on her ruby red lips. He lifted his own glass back in greeting before gazing out at the people around him. “Too easy.” He muttered as he drained his glass which was instantly refilled by a tall, dark haired bartender. He smiled at the young bartender as he lifted his glass, taking a measured sip. “Thanks, Jungkook.”

 

He could see the blonde from the corner of his eye, she was glancing his way, hoping he would go to her, but trying not to be too obvious with her interest. Jungkook leant over the bar beside him. “She’s hot.” He muttered, his eyes also landing on the blonde who was now smiling in his direction. Yoongi chuckled, “She’s too easy, it’s no fun that way.” he said with a grin as he drained his glass. Jungkook reached out for his glass but he shook his head. “I’m done for the night. Make sure everything gets locked up and the cash is locked away in the safe before you leave.” He reminded the younger man.

 

“Will do, boss.” He said with a grin, his eyes once again darting back to the blonde, which didn’t go unnoticed by either him or the blonde. “Piece of advice kid, stay away from the succubi. Gold diggers, each and every one of them.” He warned as he pushed himself off of his barstool, not looking back to see if the younger man would listen to his advice or not. He left the club, the cool night air cooling him down from the muggy heat of the club. He started walking down the street, feeling pleasantly buzzed from the alcohol. “That new stuff that Taehyung has started shipping is pretty good.” He mused to himself as he made his way home, opting to walk rather than get a taxi.

 

The cool air let him realize just how strong the alcohol he had been consuming had been. His head felt fuzzy and his vision was a little blurry around the edges. He made a mental note to call Taehyung in the morning to thank him for importing the new liquor. His legs automatically carried him in the direction of his home as he pulled out his phone when it beeped from an incoming message.

 

He reached a large intersection, his eyes glancing up to see the green walk sign illuminated. He stepped out onto the road, his eyes once again on his phone as he read his messages. Suddenly, he heard the squeal of tires. He looked up to see headlights from an oncoming car hurtling towards him. A curse started to form on his tongue but before the first syllable made its way out of his mouth he felt a pair of hands grab the back of his shirt and pull him backwards, the sudden action coupled with the alcohol blurring his senses, sent him crashing to the ground.

 

He grunted as he impacted with the cold, hard ground, his phone landing on the pavement beside him. He watched as the offending car screamed past him, completely ignoring the red light and flying down the road like a bat out of hell. A string of curses made their way out of his mouth as he picked up his phone, the screen smashed from landing on the ground. “Are you ok?” he looked around to the owner of the voice. A girl around her mid-twenties was sitting on the ground beside him, she had obviously lost her balance when she had pulled him back.

 

He glared at her. “What the hell do you think you were doing?” he growled at her. She lifted an eyebrow at him, “Excuse me?” she said with a scoff. “I think the words you are looking for are ‘thank you’.” She said as she met his glare with one of her own. He scoffed back at her. “For your information, I did not need your help.” He said as he stood up, not bothering to offer her a hand. She muttered a few curses of her own as she pushed herself up, wiping her hands on her jeans. “I literally just saved your life. If I hadn’t been walking by here, you would have been road kill.” She insisted as she crossed her arms over her chest.

 

“Please, as if I couldn’t have moved out of the way in time.” he said as he mimicked her pose. She threw her hands up in defeat. “Whatever. If you don’t wanna be grateful, then fine.” She said as she her heel and started to walk away. He threw a rude gesture in her direction before a burning sensation formed on his wrist. He hissed in pain as he grabbed his right wrist, the alcohol swimming through his system doing little to numb the pain. He heard the girl that had saved him cry out in pain. He turned to her and saw her grabbing her wrist in pain as well.

 

As quickly as the pain had come, it disappeared. The pair looked down at their wrists, black symbols now adorning their skin. “What the hell?” she asked out loud, her voice high and shaky. She turned back to him. “What the hell is this?” she shouted, pointing at the mark on her wrist. He looked at the marks on their wrists, both of them similar, but slightly different. Realization slammed into him. “!” he shouted as he ran his hand through his hair. She stormed up to him. “What the hell is this?” she demanded, pointing to the mark on her wrist. He opened his mouth to answer when a large group of people made their way out of a club behind them, making their way towards them as they looked for taxis.

 

He grabbed her wrist and pulled her towards an alleyway. She shouted out in protest and tried to push his hand off of her, but his grip was vice tight. He dragged her into the alleyway, pushing her against a wall when they were out of sight of anyone walking by the alley. “What the hell?” she demanded as she stood up to her full height, feeling angry at being pulled around like a rag doll. “I don’t want anyone to overhear.” He growled. “This.” He said as he pointed at the mark on his wrist. “Is a sign that I am now indebted to you.” Her eyebrows shot upwards in surprise. “Wait… what?” she asked, her anger draining, instead replaced by confusion.

 

He once again ran his hand through his hair, “I’m a demon.” He said, once again crossing his arms over his chest as he watched realization flash over her face. “Wait… so you're saying those old stories are true?” she asked. He nodded impatiently. “Yes, they're true. If you save a demon’s life, they then owe you a favour.” He grumbled. Her eyebrows furrowed as she thought over his words. “I thought those were all just fairy tales. Made up stories for children?” she asked, struggling to believe the situation she currently found herself in. He shook his head. “That’s what we want you humans to believe. Otherwise you would all be hunting us down and saving us just so you could get favours from us.” He spat.

 

She shook her head. “I suppose that kinda makes sense but this is crazy! I had no idea you were a demon! We look exactly the same!” she protested. He sighed, “What were you expecting? Horns and scaly skin?” he asked, his tone mocking. “Whether or not you knew, that doesn’t change the fact that you apparently saved me and I’m now indebted to you.” It was her turn to run her hand through her hair. “Is there any way to get rid of the mark, like right now?” she asked. He shook his head. “The only way is for me to do a favour for you. We’ll both have these marks until I repay you.”

 

She looked at the delicate mark on her wrist. He looked down at her and sighed impatiently. “So spit it out, what can I do for you so that we can get rid of these marks and get on with our lives?” he asked. She shook her head. “Nothing. There's nothing I need from you.” She said. He growled. “There must be something. What about an annoying ex? I can beat him up for you or something.” She almost chuckled at his words despite their situation. “No, there's nothing like that.”

 

He held his hand out with a loud sigh. “Give me your phone.” he demanded. “Why?” she asked, her brows furrowing as she looked at him. “I’m going to give you my number and as soon as you think of a way I can repay you, you're going to call me immediately so that I can stop being indebted to you.” He said. She pulled out her phone from her pocket and he grabbed it from her, typing in his number before calling himself so that he had her number. He frowned at his cracked screen but said nothing as he handed her back her phone. “As soon as you think of a way that I can repay you, you call that number.” He said.

 

She nodded, “Ok.” she said as she started walking out of the alleyway. She stopped just before she reached the street. “For what it’s worth, I’m sorry.” She said before she disappeared out onto the street. He sighed once again, “I should have just went for the blonde.” He muttered as he made his way out to the street, suddenly feeling exhausted.