The second week

Naïve

   02    

 

 

 


 The week passed by fast, nothing really worth telling, Yoona is satisfied with her new school, people don’t seem to pity her for her condition and neither force themselves to talk to her all the time. Yes, sometimes it’s really awkward when Yoona tries to talk to them and realizes they don’t get the sign language, but her phone is always there to save her, it’s amazing. She is happy that in this school is her cousin, Taeyeon, to help her out. She is also happy that his desk mate isn’t an idiot with dumb comments about her, but instead, he is quite nice and funny.

The weekend passes by slowly though, being with her parents isn’t as comfortable as it was before, but that was her fault. She changed from homeschool to a ty school to the current one, but now is not the time to talk about that.


When Monday comes, Yoona gets to class late, she sometimes forgets that school starts early and not in the middle of the day. She runs through the hallway and bumps into a tall guy, she doesn’t recognize him right away, not at all, he is just another boy. Yoona tries to apologize with a small bow and some hand movements but the guy doesn’t even bother to look at her and walks even faster away from her, she doesn’t mind, he doesn’t care, Yoona keeps walking.

The class started, the teacher scolded her for a few minutes. Junmyeon looks at her with a smile on his face and asks “Where were you?”, Yoona smiles back and writes in his math book, “I overslept”, they share his book, she still doesn’t have most of them yet, actually, Taeyeon gave her one of her uniforms, Yoona was lucky she is so skinny. 

Yoona wasn’t dumb, she liked to study and learn about everything, so when she was finishing an exercise it surprised her how easy it was and how advanced she was. Junmyeon doesn’t bother asking for help, he is pretty smart too, both end up earlier than everybody else in the class, and that gives them time to talk. “I’m sorry, I don’t know that band”, Yoona writes in her phone and show it to the guy beside her, he nods and takes his phone out with his headphones and gives one to the girl, she understands right away what he meant, the song starts slowly, it wasn’t a ballad, but it had a really interesting feeling. She remembers something she just wanted to forget, Lee Seung Gi.


She didn’t dislike gym like everybody else, she quite enjoyed exercising, even more on the outside, though she still didn’t understand why it had to be with the other class. As a handicapped student Yoona felt she lacked a lot, the fact that she didn't speak made her want to do more and learn more.

The teacher didn’t let the girls get too close with the boys, they had the same things first half of the hour, after that one teacher took care of the girls and the other of the boys. Yoona was running with all of her classmates, she could hear them talk and laugh, some of them, like Sehun, just listen to music as he ran, Yoona did that too, she liked being alone, it didn’t bother her one bit, she was used to seeing things from another perspective, she knew the fact that she couldn’t speak made her different from the others. “Yoona!”, feminine and radiant voice made her surprised, it was Yeri, that talkative girl that was always laughing in class, “I just wanted to invite you to a party this Friday night, all the class is invited”, her tone of voice was nice, Yoona smiled at her trying to not reject the invitation right away, but it was obvious she was not going.

Yeri smiled too, it seemed she had taken that for a yes, as the minutes passed by Yeri kept talking, and honestly, it didn’t make Yoona angry, she was a little thankful that the girl stayed with her most of the hour, even if it was to talk about how pretty her cousin was and how much she admired her, Yoona didn’t bother to tell her they were family.


Wednesday wasn’t amazing for her, it was a bother in fact. Most of the things she had to learn were the same she already knew and it was boring, Mondays are short, Tuesdays are fun and Wednesdays are boring, that’s it.

What she didn’t expect was to have the boy she bumped into the other day in her mind, he was oddly familiar, not too much, but she swears she has seen him before. Yoona decides to let it go and spend the evening studying with Junmyeon, he is a good friend, if that’s what they are, it suits them more than just classmates or desk mates, the whole day is about self-studding, the teacher didn’t come to class, Yoona doesn’t mind, she rather keeps advancing than being stuck on the same page, chemistry is not her forte, but she doesn’t hate it.


On a Thursday she finally remembers where she saw that boy before, Tae and Yoona were cooking, they left early from school. Yoona tells her about the incident she had before coming to Seoul, it was him, her savior. “Really? He is in our school?”, Taeyeon asks with, what Yoona thought was, a funny face. She moves her hands explaining what happened on Monday, but her hands fly so fast that Taeyeon doesn’t understand her well, “Calm down, Yoona”, But she was too happy to try to calm down.

It´s not easy to explain, but Yoona likes him a lot, she believes in love at first sight, and their encounter was perfect, almost like it came from a movie. It’s fate, that’s what she thought, Yoona was walking to her new apartment, which she now shares with Tae when one of her bags slipped out of her hands, most of the things fell revealing how much she liked candy, one guy stopped to help her out, it was him, picking most of the things he gave it to her with a serious expression, Yoona made a big bow with a shy blush coming from her cheeks, his sharp gaze reminded her of somebody, somebody with the exact opposite eyes.


It’s finally Friday, “So… Are you like coming tonight?”, Suho is the one who asks her, she doesn’t know what to answer, Yoona doesn’t really want to go to the party, actually, it’s more like, she will feel a little uncomfortable, the only people she has really “talked” to in the classroom is Suho, Yeri and Sooyoung, all of them were nice, but they weren’t exactly close. Yonna shrugs and continues listening to the teacher.

Yoona also doesn’t really want to go to her parent's house that weekend, so she leaves a note to her cousin, ”I’ll be back before twelve, don’t wait for me awake”, Yoona thinks if she goes for a few hours maybe she will get distracted, distracted enough not to think about how much she misses him.

The party starts at nine, Yoona tries to dress nicely, not like all the other days, she wears a nice skirt with a black shirt, and it suits her, it's Taeyeon’s clothes. When she finds herself in front of the door she wants to leave, she is still not ready to try to be familiar with everybody, or more like, not ready for the stupid questions. “Are you gonna get inside or…?”, It was an unknown voice, she has seen him before, a few times, he is surprisingly even taller than she expected. Yoona moves aside and makes a hand gesture, the man smiles, and moves his hands slowly. “Are you Im Yoona?”, Yoona stares at him impressed, she didn’t know there were people at school that knew the sign language, she nods, “Nice to meet you, I’m Johnny”, this time he speaks, clear and loud and with an accent Yoona didn’t catch before. Maybe it was going to be a good night.