That night

Naïve

      03     

 

 

 

 

 


Johnny was a foreigner who came to Korea with his mom because his parents had an ugly divorce, he didn’t dislike it though, for him everything was new but never boring. He did not consider himself as a handsome man, at least not when he was in Chicago, but in Seoul everything was different, he was tall and muscular, and even if not many girls were attracted to him, it made him pop between all of the thin and average looking classmates he had.

 

For Johnny this year was like any other, the only thing that wasn’t as it used to be was that he wasn’t in the same class as his good friends. And actually, it didn’t mind him until he saw Yoona, she actually made quite a ruckus before she came, a countryside girl came to the city. The first time Johnny saw her was in gym class, she was prettier than he thought she would look, the ponytail and the goofy smile made his heart jump. When he found out she was mute he finally thanked his old school for teaching sign language, he had an advantage all the other hadn't.


That Friday night Johnny thought all the luck was on his side, and he once again felt that it was fate for them to meet like that, Johnny recognizes Yoona right away, her silhouette is burned on his brain. Without being hesitant he approached her. When she stepped back for him to get inside the house of one of his old classmates he knew this was a chance he couldn’t let go, he moved his hands carefully, he wouldn’t admit it, but he practiced what he was going to say to her on his way here. “How do you know sign language?” The smaller girl asked him moving her hands slowly, it took him a few seconds to understand what she said. “I learned it in my old school, I’m from Chicago”. Yoona smiled and moved her hands again with much more grace than him, “How nice” His heartbeat strong and he swallowed his saliva, Johnny suddenly found himself a little bit nervous. “Let’s get inside, it’s kinda cold in here” He looked at the door and rang the bell trying to avoid eye contact, she was too pretty up close.

When they got inside Johnny thought they should have stayed outside, the music suddenly popped really loud, most of his classmates were already drinking. Yoona got inside first, both of them walked towards the table to grab something to drink, Johnny tried to be a gentleman, so he offered to fix the dark-haired girl a drink, “Just soda please” her hands went a little too fast but he understood anyway.

 

For Johnny everything was amazing for the first hour, they sat on a couch and talked non-stop about their life before coming to the city, he even got to understand her more and catch pretty quickly on how her hands move. They even exchanged numbers, at first he asked for her number with the excuse of helping her whenever she needed a translator, her eyes shined, and nodded giving him her phone with a soft smile. After that time 60 minutes together Jumyeon saw them from the distance and got closer, he was with Sehun but he kept talking to Joohyun.

“I didn’t know you guys knew each other” Jumyeon said as loud as he could. “We met just know” Johnny screamed trying to avoid not being heard from the music. The black-haired man nodded and sat beside them, it was obvious he was a little drunk. Yoona and Jumyeon had a good vibe even if they talked with some spaces between they seemed to be used to taking their time, Johnny started to feel a little left behind, but it was okay, he saw Yoona laughing and smiling.

 

The third hour of the party was when Joohyun approached him, the younger sister of Jumyeon, they both look alike, and she was quite popular with boys. Yoona was now with a group of people which he could only recognize Jumyeon, Yeri, Sehun, Seohyun, Minseok, and Sooyoung.

He knew she was trouble. “Oppa, I didn’t think you would come with a girl” Joohyun's voice was usually calm, but she now expressed how angry she actually felt, how harsh her voice sounded didn’t pass uncovered for Johnny. The tall man nodded and took a sip of his beer, his eyes flew from Joohyun to Yoona in seconds. “You are really cruel, you know?” She talks again, Johnny was aware of how lucky he should be, one of the most popular girls in the school was pretty much in love with him, but every time he saw her it was like a sister, and they didn’t really match, she was calm and quiet, only spoke confidently when her friends were around. “Can you not do this here?” And Johnny wasn’t always the goofy and kind friend. His eyes stared at the younger girl with coldness, he had been clear with Joohyun from the begging. “I’m not interested in you” Johnny said loudly enough for her to listen, everything was tense, none of them moved. 

 

And with that, he left her alone to go back to his friends, only to realize Yoona had let.