with mommy

to find a little bit of happiness

While Seungcheol and Tzuyu went to play games, Jihyo took Hansol to the piano room in the hotel. Jihyo had asked the staff of the hotel before if it was okay to use that room, and they had told her that it was hardly ever touched, so it’d be a pleasant change to hear some soothing melodies coming from there. Jihyo and Hansol thanked the staff with bright smiles and started heading off to the room, but they were stopped.

 

“By the way…” The staff worker they were talking to seemed hesitant to continue. “Is he yours?”

 

Jihyo glanced at Hansol and then back at the staff. “Kind of?” Jihyo responded unsurely, hoping that she doesn’t get accused of kidnapping or something outrageous. “He’s my boyfriend’s son. We switched kids for today since they wanted to do different stuff.” Jihyo explained.

 

The worker made a sound of understanding. “Oh, well that’s interesting. It’s good that single parents can find each other, though you do look a bit young…”

 

“I get that quite a bit.” Jihyo chuckled awkwardly. She remembered Seungcheol always talking about running into these kinds of situations, and while she was also a young, single parent, Jihyo never experienced many questions from others. The thought of having to have a conversation like this one as many times as Seungcheol has was exhausting already. “Um, well, we’ll be going now…”

 

“Have a great day!” The stuff sent a quick wave to Jihyo and Hansol before turning the opposite direction and going on their own way. Jihyo sighed and looked towards Hansol who also let out a small sigh of his own. The two quickly made their way to the piano room of the hotel, not wanting to run into anyone else.

 

When they got there, Jihyo wondered aloud to Hansol just how the two of them do that almost every time they go out. Hansol ended up whining a lot about how aunties were scary, but not scarier than mothers that carry around marriage papers with them everywhere. Hansol even explained that some mothers had remembered Seungcheol’s face and shopping schedule so that they could bring their daughters around for him to meet.

 

“You two have been very tough soldiers for so long,” Jihyo placated the child who seemed far more distressed then a child ever should be.

 

Nonetheless, after the complaining and sharing stories, Jihyo taught Hansol how to play all kinds of songs on the piano, and the two of them sung together to each one. They sung many children’s rhymes with each other, and if a melody they played didn’t have a song, they would work together to make one up. Hansol even insisted that they record whatever song they came up with just incase they forget it.

 

“You sing so well, Hansol,” Jihyo praised Hansol genuinely after they had finished another song. She had been teaching him on and off ever since recognizing that the little boy had thoroughly enjoyed it.

 

“Thank you,” Hansol replied with a bright smile. Jihyo always made sure to praise Hansol’s singing, and she would be lying if somewhere along the way, it hadn’t mostly been about the smiles she received in return. The compliments always seemed to make Hansol extremely happy.

 

“Hey, Hansol?” Jihyo asked, still pressing at keys along with the child.

 

“Yes?” Hansol replied distractedly, trying his best to play “Twinkle Twinkle Little Star” again.

 

“You really like music, don’t you?” Jihyo asked, removing her hands from the piano, watching at Hansol slowly pull the children’s song together on his own. Hansol paused, though, because he nodded enthusiastically to Jihyo’s question. “When you become an adult, do you want to do something with music?”

 

Hansol nodded enthusiastically again. “I want to make music that can make Daddy feel better.”

 

“What do you mean, Sol?” Jihyo’s brows knitted together.

 

“When Papa left, Daddy always played music, but it never made him feel better. He would always cry. I want to make music that will always make Daddy feel happy!” Hansol looked up at Jihyo and smiled. Jihyo ran her hands through Hansol’s hair before bending down and kissing Hansol on his head.

 

“Your Daddy truly is lucky to have a wonderful child like you, Hansol,” Jihyo’s voice was soft and she rested her head against Hansol’s for a few seconds. Hansol shifted a bit, making Jihyo raise her head, and then he was standing in her lap.

 

“You have me too,” Hansol said simply before hugging Jihyo tightly. Jihyo’s eyes watered and he hugged Hansol back. “...Mommy…”

 

“Mommy?” Jihyo questioned, trying to hide her shaky voice.

 

“Is...Is that okay? Can I call you Mommy?” Hansol pulled away from Jihyo and looked at her curiously. “I always want to, because you’re like my mommy already, but I didn’t know if you would like it or not…”

 

Jihyo smiled warmly at Hansol and she cupped his tiny face in her hands before pulling him closer, pressing a sweet kiss onto his cheek. “I’d be honored to be your Mommy, Sollie,” The two giggled and hugged some more. Afterwards, Hansol suggested that they should make a song for the two of them, and Jihyo agreed happily. They worked on the song earnestly, and they had gotten so lost in it that when Jihyo’s phone buzzed, it startled them both.

 

actual child cheol: you guys are late!

 

Seungcheol had sent a text to Jihyo with a picture attached of him and Tzuyu eating pizza. Hansol gasped and Jihyo checked the time. It was nearly thirty minutes after they were supposed to start heading back to their room.

 

purinhyo: don’t eat it all or sol will cry!

 

actual child cheol: rude! i would never make my son cry!

 

purinhyo: debatable

purinhyo: we’re on our way tho

 

Jihyo laughed at the emojis Seungcheol sent in response before tucking her phone into her pocket. She grabbed Hansol’s hand and the two of them hurried back to their room so they could join Seungcheol and Tzuyu for dinner.