sailing as never felt so smooth

to find a little bit of happiness

Dating Jihyo was very much akin to dating Jeonghan during high school. Seungcheol felt nervous and emotionally high all the time—it was all too much in the best of ways.

 

Seungcheol had long since forgotten how good it felt to have someone to come home to—well, come home with on most days, but the sentiment still stood on those days when he had work, but Jihyo didn’t. He also had forgotten how good it felt to have dinner with more than just two people; the joyful back and forth the two little families (or, dare he say, the one perfect family) had as the ate dinner together either at the table or in front of the television never failed to make Seungcheol’s day regardless of how tough work might have gotten. Sometimes, Seungcheol would even catch himself just staring at Jihyo and the kids because he couldn’t believe he was so lucky and just so genuinely happy for what felt like the first time in forever.

 

And it wasn’t just their relationship dynamics that changed, there were other life changes that ended up coming along as well.

 

After the damage done to Jihyo’s apartment building (which Seungcheol convinced his workplace to donate money to in order to help repair costs; he couldn’t forget how damaged that place was to begin with, and seeing all of the older residents that day shook something inside of him), Jihyo had begun working harder to try and find a job that was a lot more stable and would provide the same income of her current three jobs. In the end, Jihyo managed to land a much more well-paying job as an elementary school music teacher. On the other hand, Seungcheol ended up getting a promotion at his workplace as well; he was sad about having to move departments, but he wasn’t too alone considering Jihoon had transferred to his company and was working in the department that Seungcheol had moved to.

 

Between the two of them, there was a significant enough increase in income that Seungcheol ended up surprising Jihyo with a car. It wasn’t anything too special, knowing Jihyo would have thrown a fit if Seungcheol had went all out on her, but it wasn’t a terrible car either. It was used, but in great condition, since Seungcheol made sure he had it fixed up to the best of his ability.

 

Slowly but surely, Seungcheol and Jihyo’s lives began to weave together until Seungcheol’s apartment became their apartment, Jihyo’s friends became his friends, and vice versa. It took some time getting used to, Seungcheol would admit; having four women suddenly in his apartment almost all the time was a bit jarring, considering the only women he’s recently been in constant contact willingly were Sunmi and Jihyo. Nonetheless, Seungcheol grew to enjoy the company, especially since none of them held any overprotective disdain for him anymore.

 

It was exceptionally fun whenever Seungcheol’s friends insisted on visiting as well, because Seungcheol nor Jihyo could have ever imagined their friend groups to click as well as they did. Nayeon, Junhui, and Jeonghan were immediate friends, connecting over their love of children and animals, and finding solace in having people who understood their underappreciated over-the-top personalities. Then there was Jeongyeon, Jihoon, and Wonwoo who happened to connect over figures, games, and anime; Seungcheol and Jihyo had never seen Jeongyeon so animated while talking to a man, let alone two men. Mina and Joshua also seemed to get along well, but their conversation was so hushed, neither of the hosting couple could catch any of what they could have been talking about. Lastly, Sana and Soonyoung connected over what they called “hamster connection”. Seungcheol and Jihyo shared a look before slowly shaking their heads.

 

“So you had one too?” Jihyo sighed.

 

“Yep,” Seungcheol answered with a sigh of his own.

 

While the adults engaged in their various conversations, the children that were gathered together in Hansol and Tzuyu’s room, came out and stood before all of them.

 

Dahyun caught all of the adults attention, and when they quieted down, she cleared for dramatic effect (inciting a hushed squeal from Junhui and a quick “That’s my baby!” from Nayeon). “Ladies and gen-tol-mans! We have gathered you here today to  introduce the School Meal Club’s newest members!” Dahyun presented proudly. Tzuyu instructed everyone to clap, which they did, while Chaeyoung hid her face into her hands.

 

“First, we will introduce ourselves, because there are many gen-tol-mans here that I do not know and my mommy and mama told me to never talk to strange mens!” Dahyun looked excitedly to her mothers and both Sana and Nayeon gave her excited nods and thumbs up. “My name is Im Dahyun, and I’m the leader of the School Meal Club! Nice to meet you,” Dahyun saluted and took a bow, stumbling forward a bit before righting herself and smiling brightly at the adults. Junhui and Jeonghan shared a squeal and Seungcheol could hear them both offer up babysitting help if need be.

 

Dahyun stepped aside and pushed Chaeyoung forward with a big pat on her back. “I’m Yoo Chaeyoung,” Chaeyoung kept her head tilted low even as she saluted, then she gave a quick bow and rushed back behind the other girls. Dahyun scolded Chaeyoung for being rude not-so-quietly and the little girl flushed even redder. “Nice to meet you all…” Chaeyoung stepped back up to the front, hiding behind Tzuyu who had already moved up, ready to introduce herself. She finished properly greeted the adults and then rushed back to the back. Mina and Jeongyeon cheered their daughter on while Momo simply yelled out for her to stop pretending to be shy (which she got scolded about by Mina, and then Mina scolded Jeongyeon for laughing and agreeing).

 

Tzuyu stepped forward and saluted. “Park Tzuyu, School Meal Club maknae. Nice to meet you all,” Tzuyu introduced herself formally, took her bow and then let Dahyun have her place at the front again.

 

“Now, with how farter doodoo—”

 

“ Without further ado , Dahyunnie,” Nayeon tried not to laugh too hard as she corrected her daughter, but it was hard when Sana’s laugh was so infectious and everyone else was snickering behind their hands as well.

 

“What mommy said!” Dahyun laughed. “The School Meal Club’s newest member, who we have checked day and night for cooties, Choi Hansol! Applesauce!” Dahyun presented Hansol with rapidfire applause . The adults in the room almost bursted out into laughter again, but the managed to hold it in to not make Hansol feel even more embarrassed than the five year old already was (if his red face was anything to go by).

 

“H-hi…” Hansol greeted with a small wave, but Dahyun was quick to correct him.

 

“No, you have to do it like we practiced!” Dahyun had advised not so quietly once again.

 

Hansol huffed, but he complied anyways. He saluted just like how Dahyun taught him previously with his chest puffed out. “School Meal Club, salute!” Hansol called out and then he bowed and returned to his place.

 

“Now, we have our mas—cot, Yoon Chan! App—”

 

“ Applause ,” Nayeon offered before Dahyun finished.

 

“Applause!” Dahyun smiled brightly and brought Chan forward. It was very clear that Chan had no idea what was going on exactly, but he looked happy regardless. “Do you remember what we taught you, Channie?”

 

Chan stared at Dahyun blankly for a few moments before slowly bringing his hand up to his head. Dahyun smiled and nodded encouragingly, helping Chan out with his salute and what to say before letting him repeat it. “School Meal Club, salute!” Chan beamed, looking towards Dahyun. She gave him a thumbs up and a reminder to bow and then go back to his spot. Chan did as Dahyun said (he bowed while still saluting, which made Jeonghan and Joshua huff out in soft laughter) before going to to his spot next to Hansol again.

 

“And that con—concu—concoo— The end! Thank you!” Dahyun struggled with her words before eventually giving up, and then she motioned for the others to hold hands and take one last bow together. All of the adults clapped for the children with wide smiles on their faces.

 

“That’s not fair, how come can’t be a member?” Momo pouted from between Jeongyeon’s legs. For once, Chaeyoung didn’t seem so shy as she huffed and crossed her little arms across her chest, waltzing up to her older sister.

 

“That’s because you’re too old , Momoring unnie,” Chaeyoung explained, and not for the first time it seemed. Momo grumbled and crawled into her Mina’s lap to continue pouting about how she wasn’t old, Mina simply patting her daughter on her back and placating her softly.

 

After the children finished their display of announcing club members, the adults eased their way back into their various conversations, as the children (including Momo, since she didn’t want to be left with older people) went back to Hansol’s room to play; however, Hansol lagged behind.

 

“Dad,” Hansol’s voice was soft as he tugged at Seungcheol’s pant leg. Seungcheol immediately took his son into his arms and headed into the kitchen. One look at Hansol’s shining eyes and he just knew what this was going to be about. Seungcheol sat Hansol onto the counter in front of him and looked at his son softly. “was that…”

 

“Yeah, sweetie, that was Daddy.” Seungcheol’s heart broke at Hansol’s soft, quite tears that began to spill over faster than he probably intended because Hansol kept wiping at his face like he didn’t mean to cry, like he didn’t want to cry. Seungcheol wondered if he taught his son bad coping techniques unintentionally. “It’s okay to cry, Hansol, I cried, too. C’mere,” Seungcheol picked Hansol back up and hugged his son as tightly as he could. Hansol buried his face into Seungcheol’s shoulder and allowed himself to sob. Seungcheol simply swayed back and forth and tried not to let himself cry either, because if he cried, then things would have been awkward.

 

“Uh,” Seungcheol turned around to the sight of Jeonghan standing unsurely in the entryway. “is it bad if I come in?”

 

“Better late than never?” Seungcheol smiled tightly. Jeonghan cautiously made his way into the kitchen and ended up standing awkwardly next to Seungcheol and Hansol.

 

“Sol, look, it’s Daddy,” Seungcheol tried to rouse his son from his shoulder, but it took a few tries before Hansol was convinced to raise his head. Jeonghan deflated at the sight of Hansol’s face red and wet from crying.

 

“Sollie,” Jeonghan started, the nickname sounding far too foreign on his lips. “can I...can I have a hug?” Jeonghan asked with arms stretched out, though he was certainly prepared for rejection. Hansol looked up at his father, and all Seungcheol dared to provide was a smile. Whatever choice Hansol made was his to make alone, and despite being young, Seungcheol knew that Hansol could handle such a task.

 

Hansol turned back towards Jeonghan and stared for a few moments. “...Okay,” Hansol muttered, slowly stretching his arms out towards Jeonghan. Jeonghan began to cry himself as he took Hansol into his arms for the first time years. He hugged Hansol just like he used to, and even began singing the same little tune that Hansol absolutely loved as a baby that Seungcheol could never remember. Hansol and Jeonghan cried together with Seungcheol looking on with burning eyes himself.

 

Eventually, Jeonghan and Hansol both stopped crying long enough for Jeonghan to request Hansol to tell him anything and everything, to which Hansol unsteadily complied. The young boy wasn’t sure where to start, so Seungcheol offered a suggestion: starting with how well he reads now and what kinds of books he liked. Hansol beamed at this, and he proceeded to tell Jeonghan about all of the books Seungcheol had gotten him and especially about his favorite one. From there Hansol told Jeonghan about what he and Seungcheol have gotten up to, the small trips that they’ve taken here and there, the toys that Seungcheol bought him, joining the School Meal Club.

 

The image was bittersweet, Seungcheol had to admit. Seeing Jeonghan—his first love, his first everything—with the child that they adopted together and raised together for a short period of time made various feelings well up inside of him.

 

“Oh, there you two are,” Jihyo peeked her head into the kitchen with Joshua at her side. Seungcheol moved his gaze from Jeonghan and Hansol to her, and it seemed like Tzuyu was the cause of their curiosity because the little girl was hiding behind Jihyo’s legs. Seungcheol bent down and called Tzuyu over, smiling as the little girl ran over to him with no hesitation and he picked her up. Jihyo smiled and made her way over to Seungcheol, bowing towards Jeonghan along the way.

 

“Did you miss Sol that much, Tzutzu,” Seungcheol teased the little girl in his arms.

 

“It’s rude to disappear on people,” Tzuyu responded with a teasing smile much like her mother’s. Seungcheol looked towards Jihyo and the young mother had never looked so proud.

 

“Sorry to keep him for so long, it’s just…” Jeonghan spoke up, staring at Hansol one good time before handing him to Jihyo.

 

“Don’t worry about it.” Jihyo Hansol’s hair and wiped any residual tears from the little boy’s face. “I’m sure this is what you guys really needed, after all,” Jihyo placed a soft kiss to Hansol’s forehead, to which Hansol giggled at and cuddled into her, then turned to smile just as softly to Jeonghan.

 

Jeonghan looked at the four of them, how they made the perfect little family as they held each other’s kids as their own and unconsciously leaned into each other’s sides, and he returned Jihyo’s soft smile. “Yeah, definitely.” Jeonghan replied and suggested that they let the kids go back to playing and the rest agreed. Seungcheol and Jihyo let down Tzuyu and Hansol and the two little ones went off to play (although, Hansol did spare one last hug to Jeonghan), then went back into the living room with Jeonghan and Joshua and joined back in on the conversation.

 

Later that night, after everyone had left and the family had already gone through their nightly routine of dinner, baths, and being tucked into bed (which Tzuyu now officially had her own bed, but the children still slept together more often than not), Jihyo asked Seungcheol something out of the blue.

 

“Hey, Cheol,” Jihyo tugged at Seungcheol’s shirt from behind. “can I sleep with you...tonight…?” Jihyo asked suddenly, catching Seungcheol off guard. True, they were dating officially now, but sleeping together was still a challenge for both of them—especially since they both barely managed to get the hang of cuddling.

 

“S-sure…?” Seungcheol agreed nonetheless, and they made their way into Seungcheol’s room that incidentally, had quite a lot of Jihyo’s things in them. It was an awkward affair, situating themselves into Seungcheol’s bed; they couldn’t decided if they wanted to cuddle or not, and eventually they had both stopped thrashing about and just stared at each other exasperatedly before bursting out into laughter that was hushed a few chuckles too late. Ultimately, they decided to simply face each other—not too far apart to where it’d seem a bit ridiculous, but not too close where they would feel awkward either.

 

“You know, it’s weird,” Seungcheol mumbled, on the verge of falling asleep.

 

“Hm?” Jihyo hummed in response.

 

“How everything feels like it’s falling into place all perfect, it’s weird…”

 

There was a pause, and Seungcheol assumed for a moment that Jihyo had fallen asleep. “Yeah,” She ended up replying with a short chuckle. “it is weird. But a nice weird, though,”

 

Seungcheol stared at Jihyo as she struggled to keep her eyes open. He smiled and boldly her cheek, urging her to sleep. Jihyo leaned into Seungcheol’s touch, and her breathing evened out. “Definitely a nice weird.” Seungcheol whispered, sighing peacefully as he fell asleep right after her.