lunch

WHI
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Whoa!” Yeri exclaims, shaped in an ‘o’, as Joy finishes her story – seeing the President smiling to herself after talking to Kang Seulgi – and makes Joy continue. “Were you sure that was the President?” She asks Joy, not believing that the President can actually smile. 

“Of course I am! I saw it with my own two eyes.” She says, trying to prove herself right. She sips from her water bottle, waiting for Yeri to completely absorb this information. “I think she even saw me, since I was-“

“Late?” Yeri finishes her sentence, her eyebrow raised. Joy gulped in hesitation. “You were late?” Yeri repeats, and Joy can only nod. 

“I went to a place nearby the school.” Joy explains. Yeri probes her to continue. “I may have forgotten about the time, causing me to be late. Won’t happen again, trust me.” Joy smiles reassuringly to Yeri, who only nods in disbelief. 

“You were the one who woke me up in the dorm earlier.” Yeri says, and Joy giggles with the irony of what happened earlier. “And you said that the President may or may not have seen you?” Joy nods like a small child answering her mother, and Yeri tries not to laugh since Joy may get in trouble. “You know, you can get in trouble.” 

“I know that.” Joy says, her head dropping on to the table, shaking their food slightly. “I’d get detention, and school just started! Mom may or may not  kill me once she hears about this.” Yeri giggles at Joy’s big problem of getting detention on the first day of school. 

“Yeri-ssi?” Yeri hears a voice she had heard earlier, and swiftly looks to the owner of the voice, just slightly to her left. “Can I join you? I didn’t really make new friends earlier.” 

“Wendy unnie!” She half yells with a smile. Wendy also shoots her a smile, with a tint of apology as she notices that Yeri has a friend along with her. “Yeah, please. Join us, unnie! Don’t  worry about her,” Yeri points to Joy, who was still sulking about the chance of getting detention on the first day of school. “She’s just being a little kid. But, yeah! Sit here, unnie.”

“Are you sure? Your friend may not like me sitting with you.” Wendy bites her lower lip in hesitation, a habit she does. Yeri shakes her head, patting the chair beside her. “It’s okay, unnie. Am I right, Joy?” Yeri asks teasingly, knowing how Joy may or may not turn ultra gay when she sees Wendy. 

Joy only waves her hand, signaling to let the older girl sit down, her head still stuck against the table. Wendy chuckles, sitting quietly and slowly as to not disturb the other girl. Yeri observes, Wendy may or may not also be gay, but that’s just her intuition. 

Her guts are always right, though.

“Good thing that you found me, unnie,” Yeri starts the conversation, her tone still a bit in the zone of tease. “You might’ve tabled with the wrong group.” Wendy nod in agreement. 

“I was actually looking for you, I’m still kind of new here. I almost got lost after first period, and almost got late for third period. I mean, why are the rooms for the seniors and juniors beside each other. It's boggling my transferee mind.” Wendy starts her story, while Yeri shows an amused face all the while nudging Joy to meet the older. Wendy continues, “Oh, and I think I made a new friend, well, I assume she feels the same. We’re both juniors. Her name’s Seulgi, I think?”

“Oh you mean, Kang Seulgi?” Yeri asks, and Wendy nods again. She retells how she met Seulgi after almost getting late for being lost just before third period. “She’s nice, and is that her?” Wendy points her finger at another figure, Yeri following the direction of her finger. 

Yeri bobs her head right before screaming, “SEULGI-UNNIE!” 

The girl turns her head, eager to look for the owner of the voice who just called her. Yeri waves her head, making it easier for Seulgi to spot her. Seulgi shoots her a bright smile, before motioning that she’ll just get food but will go straight to their table. Yeri shows a thumbs-up, and looks at Wendy again. 

“I guess you’re lucky, Wendy unnie, you already got three new friends on the first day of school.” Yeri claims, counting Joy with Wendy’s new found friends, and Wendy nods her again in agreement. They were talking about Mrs. Shin – the librarian who can (according to Yeri) spot you sleeping even if you were at the third floor of the library – when Joy holds her head up, her eyes looked like she just woke up. 

“Don’t tell me you actually slept for, like, five minutes?” Yeri asks with sarcasm, making Joy only nod because Yeri guessed correctly. She actually slept for five minutes – a skill she acquired through out her childhood. 

“Oh, right. Wendy unnie, this is Joy. She’s a Sophomore, like me.” Yeri introduces the brunette to the girl who was still a bit sleepy, and she sees Wendy check out Joy for a millisecond. A smirk made its way on Yeri’s lips, knowing well how she should introduce Joy.

“Joy is a bit of a disaster right now, unnie. But, did you know she once pranked a girl younger than us with slime on the girl’s bed. She and Seulgi unnie, actually. But Seulgi unnie was just a look out. Joy actually got detention and community service.” Wendy, with her eyes widened by three times, gasps in shock – and fear, probably – with Yeri’s story about Joy pranking another girl. “That girl was actually Joy’s crush, right Joy?” 

Fully awake, Joy realizes that Yeri just told a total stranger – to her – her reason for pranking another student with slime and Seulgi as look out. “Yah! That’s not true!” She defends herself, her ears red because her secret was not a secret anymore. 

“Please do not believe this little devil, uh,” Joy stutters as she looks towards the beauty across her. Okay, she did not expect Yeri to befriend another pretty girl. “Joy, this is Wendy unnie. A junior and also a transferee.” Yeri introduces her to the pretty girl in front of her, and the pretty girl – Wendy – smiles brightly at her. 

I think she beats the sun with that shining smile. Joy thinks, a bit apart, in awe with Wendy’s smile. 

“Are you okay, Joy-ssi?” Wendy asks her with a worried tone, with Yeri butting in with, “She wanted to shake hands with you, but you were too pre-occupied with something.” And Wendy nudges the younger with her elbow, her cheeks brushed with a light tint of pink. 

“Y-yeah. I’m good, yes.” Joy scolds herself internally for stuttering in front of Wendy, but stops when she hears Wendy giggle with her response. “Sorry ‘bout that, Wendy-ssi. I’m lacking in social skills in some days, unfortunately, it’s one of those days.” Joy explains, and Wendy only responds with it’s okay and no worries which only makes Joy relaxed that she didn’t scare the older girl away. 

Contrary to popular belief – mostly Yeri debating with her – Joy is probably one of the gayest girls in Yeri’s circle of friends. Her w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter