Chapter IX

Mine Forever

No words can describe you.
Don’t need anything else, just need you.  (EXO 'Touch It')

 

 

"Mom, have you seen my laptop charger?'' I'd looked all over my room, even under the bed but couldn't find it. The search started one hour after I got home from work. The script I was currently working on was waiting for me, but it was on my laptop and the charger was nowehere to be seen.

''Mom?'' I said again.

''I don't know. Why don't you take better care of your staff.'' I knew I'd receive that answer, but it was worth a shot. While searching the living room I got a text from Hyu.

                            Fixed my charger. Will bring your tomorrow. Hope you don't need the laptop tonight.

Stupid me. I gave the charger to Hyu a day before and completely forgot about that.

                           Okay.

I sent a quick text to her while stepping into the kitchen. Mom was sitting in the living room watching something on TV. She didn't bother to say hi when I returned home. She stopped greeting me a long time ago. But I had no problem with that. As long as she wasn't drunk or passed out, I was okay. Which was rarely. There was nothing to eat, so I prepared instant noodles for myself. I wasn't even sure why I made it. I wasn't hungry. Or thirsty. Or aware of anything.

After finishing my dinner, I showered, brushed my teeth and put on my favorite Star Wars pyjamas. I lay in my bed, starring out the window into the darkness outside. I kept trying to fall asleep, but without any success. Baekhyun’s face was constantly in front of my eyes. Haunting. Torturing. Promising. I wondered what would tomorrow bring for me. He told me I was stuck with him for one year. And as much as I wanted to deny that, he was right. I couldn’t escape him this time because the contract I signed with the company was ending next year. I would have to see his face every day, except weekends. I would have to look into his eyes, breathe his familiar scent and play a role, again. Tricking him seven years ago was easy. I was not so sure I would succeed this time. But I had to try.

The sound of alarm clock woke me up at 5:30 AM. I had no idea how or when I fell asleep last night but one thing was for sure, staying in bed was a much better option than going to work. It was the first time a thought like that has entered my mind. I loved my job. I loved the people I worked with. There wasn’t a single morning I didn’t look forward to going to work. For a long time, Linxon has been the most important part of my life. After I graduated from college, CEO Choi has offered me the opportunity to work in his company. I started out as an assistant. Helping others and doing basically what everyone told me to do has been my job. It was not easy. At times I thought of giving up. But I didn’t. Thanks to Hyu. We applied together and they accepted us both. After working as assistants for six months, CEO Choi has decided to give us a chance to work at a higher position. He placed us in the finance department. Working there was our original plan after we got our diploma in Economics, and we’ve been in that department ever since.

Working for a company such as Linxonn has been a great honor. I felt like God was finally giving me an opportunity to re-build my life all over. I was tired of being a burden to my father. He was still working for the same construction company and he was the only source of income in our house. After my sister’s death, mom hasn’t set foot in classroom. No matter how hard dad tried to convince her, she refused. I felt sorry for him. He didn’t come home that often as he used to and I didn’t blame him for that. Why would he? To watch his drunk wife destroy her life? Whenever he came home on weekends they would end up having a huge fight, mom would get drunk again, dad would leave the house furiously, and I would sit on the porch with my headphones on. Listening music. Watching. Laughing. There was nothing to laugh at, but I still laughed. I couldn’t cry, and I had to express my frustration somehow. An old dog would always join me. It was my neighbor’s dog, Archy. He was a really old and scary dog. People in the neighborhood were terrified of him. The dog’s owner was an old and scary man, too. People were intimidated by him. I wasn’t. I liked both the dog and the owner. And apparently, they liked me too. Whenever I had time, I went to Ho-jin’s house and spend time with him. He was eighty five years old and living alone. His wife passed away three years ago and although he had two daughters they were not much use to him since both were married and living in another city. People called him weird and crazy just because he preferred staying inside his house all the time. He didn’t talk that much either. He didn’t ask questions. He was a perfect person to be around. For the last two years, Hyu and I spent every Saturday and Sunday with him. We would clean his house, yard, make lunch, dinner and then later play Jenga. He was really good at it. The best! We didn’t talk that much. But we were smiling all the time. And it was not forced or fake.

After I brushed my teeth, I put on my favorite denim baggy jeans, Ravenclaw t-shirt and went to kitchen to make hot chocolate. Mom was sleeping in the living room, as usual, so I had to be careful not to wake her up. I sat on the chair in the kitchen and logged in on Twitter. Social media was not something I was fond of, but I had Twitter account just to keep up with the news. Hyu forced me to make one. She also introduced me to some of her favorite groups and artists, made me follow all of them and even added me to one group chat full of fangirls. I have never written a sentence in that chat, but I haven’t left it either. Sometimes, they were the only thing that could brighten up my day. A new message popped up in the group chat. It was from Tae, one of the most active among us.

Morning, es. Guess who’s going to China today!!! My dad has a business trip in Beijing and he told me I can tag along. I might see Yixing y’all. Please, pray for it to happen. :*

I smiled taking a sip of my chocolate. At least life wasn’t being hard on everyone. Hyu’s name appeared on my screen.

"What?" I answered her phone call.

"Is that how people great their friends these days?"

"Yes. Welcome to the modern age," I said entertained with her early morning nagging.

"Remind me again, why are you my best friend?" She asked.

"Because I’m the only one who wants to be around you?"

She laughed and replied, "well, can’t disagree with that. But you know, my lame only attracts lame people." It was my turn to laugh. "Is there another reason why you called or you missed me that much that you wanted to hear my voice first thing in the morning?"

"You wish! The first voice I hear every morning is my baby Yixing’s. By the way, did you see the group chat? Tae is going to China. Can you believe that lucky will get a chance to see my baby before me! I don’t want to live anymore. Goodbye, life. Goodbye, Hyu. It was nice knowing you these past six years." She finished her speech dramatically with a deep sigh.

"Hyu. First of all, he’s not a baby. He’s a grown up man. Second of all, you do realize that Beijing is huge and the chances of her seeing Yixing are the same as me leaving Lixon."

", Ji. I’m sorry. I completely forgot about the Dark Lord." If only I could’ve done the same.

"Can you not call him like that?" I asked her. I wished I didn’t care about small stupid thing like that. I wished I myself could call him like that. I wished he deserved to be called like that. But he didn’t.

Hyu was silent for a moment, then she said, "I want to say something, but I won’t. For now, at least."

I remained silent, so she started talking again. "Anyways, I called to tell you that I fixed my car, so if you want I can give you a ride to work."

"You fixed your car? That was fast. What did you do this time?" I said surprise evident in my voice.

Hyu laughed and said, "I agreed to go watch Infinity War with the guy who fixed it." I knew it. "I mean, he’s not really my type, but I will see the movie for free and plus he fixed my car."

"You do realize that you sound like Mi Sun right now?"

"Are you really comparing me to that thing?" She asked horrified. Mi Sun was a girl who worked with us in the company. To put it nicely, she liked men. A lot!

Hyu din’t wait for my answer and continued talking, "the guy’s a complete . I wouldn’t have done it if he was a decent human being. He deserves it! Trust my instincts. They have never failed me before."

"If you say so, Mi Sun", I mocked her.

"So you don’t need that ride, after all?"

"Okay, okay. Sorry. Won’t do it again. When will you be here?" I asked while looking at my watch. It was six.

"See you in fifteen minutes. I’m on my way." I could hear her closing the door. She just left her house probably.

"Okay," I said, and before she ended the call added, "Mi Sun". She was gonna kill me.

She didn’t kill me. She nagged about it for about ten minutes but that was it.

"Hey," Hyu said, grabbing my hand after she parked her car in front of the company. "If he starts bullying you, come to me immediately. CEO or not, I’ll pull my inner Slytherin and Avada Kedavra his ." Despite being nervous as hell, I laughed. I couldn’t help it. She was looking straight into my eyes with a dead serious expression on her face. And did she say ‘inner’? She was a damn pure Slytherin. From head to toe. A proud one!

"Okay," I sighed and answered, although, I wasn’t really planning to do what I agreed to. I’ve decided to be a big girl and take care of my problems. I would handle Baekhyun on my own. He was my problem. My.

I entered our department office five minutes before seven. Hyu came up behind me and laid her hand on my shoulder while looking around. She was probably checking if Bakehyun arrived. "He's still not here," our co-worker, Mark, said. looked over at his desk and was surprised to see a girl sitting in his chair. He was standing next to her causally leaning on the table. Did he find a new girlfriend? Just a week ago he showed us a picture of a beautiful girl he was supposedly crazy about. And definitely, it wasn't the girl sitting in his chair. The girl from the picture was cute, with an innocent baby face. This girl was not cute. That was the last name I'd use to describe her. This girl was hot. With double t. Dark leather jacket, black t-shirt with a name of a band I wasn't familiar with, black pants and black booths. It was raining again, so I guess that was her reason for wearing booths in the spring. I looked at her face one more time and was taken aback with her beauty. Her black long hair had been pulled back in a ponytail. The only trace of makeup on her heart shaped face was red lipstick. She glanced over where Hyu and I were standing and made eye contact with me. Damn. I wouldn't call what I felt in that moment fear. It was more like intimidation. Yes. I was intimidated by her. How the hell did Mark manage to get a girl like her? He never went for the bad type. He was always saying his heart was too fragile to handle those kind of girls. And he didn't date that much. Last time he was in a relationship was a year ago. He's been dating one 'nice' girl for two years and later found out she's been cheating on him. With his cousin. Imagine how that went. I was happy when he told us about the new girl he liked. More than liked, according to his words.

"Girls, it's rude to stare," Mark added after we didn't say anything to his previous comment. Being caught red handed both Hyu and me looked away. I could still feel the girl's gaze on us.

Hyu ended the awkwardness in the room saying, "Gotta new girl, Mark?" He glanced at the girl and then back at us and started laughing. What surprised me was that the girl joined him. Her laughter wasn’t hysterical like Mark’s but it was there. She was laughing.

"Minhee? My girl?" Mark asked while trying to catch breath in between laughter. So her name was Minhee. Didn’t go exactly with her look. While the two of them were busy laughing, Hyu and I went over to our desk. I turned my laptop on, opened the presentation I still haven’t finished and sat down. Mark was still laughing. I looked at them again and found the girl staring at me with a smile on her face. What the actual hell? Do I have something on my face? Or maybe she likes my Ravenclaw t-shirt, I thought looking away from her. That must be it. She’s just another Potterhead. I kept coming up with excuses in my head to relieve my discomfort, but without much success. She was not looking at me the same way she was looking at Hyu. I glanced over again and she was still staring. Did she know me from somewhere? Have we met before? Nah. I would have remembered that face. It was not an ordinary one. You don’t forget faces like that easily. Just as I was about to start working on my presentation, I felt someone’s presence behind me. I turned around and found her standing there. I sat up in my chair and gaped at her, surprise evident on my face.

She didn’t give me a chance to say anything, just leaned down and said, "I don’t like beating around the bush, so I’ll go straight to the business." The last time someone approached me with those words was Baekhuyn’s mother, and it didn’t end up well for me. What business this girl had with me? I was seeing her for the first time in my life. She paused for one moment, looked at Mark who finally stopped talking and was observing our conversation with high interest. "Do you want to go out with me?" Did she just? "Huh?" I mumbled. "Do you want to go on a date with me?" She did.

I understood the words coming out of , but at the same time I couldn’t understand. Why was she asking me that? Was she pranking me? Confused and shocked I asked her, "Sorry, but I am afraid I’m not following what you’re saying."

"Dude, do I speak German?" She said a little bit annoyed. "Mark told me about you. He said you’re really cool, single and I’d like you." I stared at her in shock some time and then finally everything clicked. Mark. Furiously, I stood up, excused myself and walked over to where he was standing. I should have known he had his fingers in this. He took one step back while I took one step toward him. Bringing his hands defensively in the air, he started rambling, "Ji, think about what you’re gonna do. You don’t want to end up in a jail because of me. Even worse, you don’t want to get kicked out of the company because of me." Oh, but that’s exactly what I wanted. I took one more step forward and stopped when I was standing right in front of him.

"Explain." I hissed at him.

"I was trying to help. I swear." He said.

"You think I’m a lesbian?"

"Well, aren’t you?" He asked confused.

"No!" I said loudly. "What would make you think something like that?"

"Well, first there’s a fact that you’ve never had a boyfriend."

"How do you know I’ve never had one?"

"So you’re saying you’ve had a boyfriend?"

"Not your problem." I retorted. "What else made you think that?"

"You never wear stylish clothes," he paused, looked at my t-shirt and made a face. "And you wear Harry Potter t-shirt."

"I don’t wear Ravenclaw t-shirt always."

"Right. But then you wear ‘All I care about is Star Wars and like maybe 3 people and food’ t-shirt or that one with those two brothers who hunt animals."

"Sam and Dean. And they don’t hunt animals but supernatural things." I said diplomatically. "So the fact I’m wearing t-shirts with logos makes me a lesbian?"

"Well, I would be supportive of you if you were. Lesbian, I mean."

"I’m not a lesbian!" I shot a quick glance around the room and realized I had everyone’s attention. I repeated again slowly, "I’m not a lesbian. Minhee, you are a really beautiful girl, but I’m not playing for your team," I turned around and told the girl. She just shrugged and smiled. "It’s okay. I just realized you’re not really my type either. No offense."

"None taken." I replied returning a smile. I was about to hit Mark but someone’s laughter interrupted me. Baekhyun’s laughter. He appeared out of nowhere and came over to where Mark and I were standing.

"What is your name?" The question was directed towards Mark.

"Mark."

"I don’t know about other employees, but I can assure you, Mark, –" he finally looked at me, flashed me a devilish grin and said –"she’s very much into men."

"." Hyu cursed from the other side of the room.