Chapter III

Mine Forever

 

''I know that it is difficult to keep believing in me since the promise was broken once. However, I wanna stay with you forever, living and sharing breath. I wish we were happy like that in the beginning.''

 

An icy ball of fear formed in the pit of my stomach at the mere thought of turning around and coming face to face with those brown eyes.

''Ok, Jia. You can do this.'' I told myself. ''Get your together and turn around! It's not like he's gonna attack you for something that happened seven years ago.''

Trying not to overthink what was about to happen, I slowly turned around.

My breath caught when my eyes landed on him again. He started walking towards me and I felt my knees buckle. When he reached the end of the table he stopped and leaned his hip against it, crossing his arms. His eyes pinned me and a small smile appeared on his face.

''I'm going to enjoy my new job.'' Bakehyun muttered and gave me the once over.

Not knowing what to say or do, I just gave him a blank look. That cold, annoyed gaze and wicked smile on his lips were to much for me. I had been in that room for two minutes only, but it felt like eternity. I slowly inched away, trying to escape the intensity of his gaze. There was literally one step between me and the door. I just had to turn around and I would be out.

I cleared my throat because an awkward silnece filled the room. Awkwardness has never been a problem for us. Even at our first encounter we talked for two hours. Granted, we've been fighting because he stole the Iron Man figurine from me. It was the last one at the shop and I've been thinking about buying it for a long time. He literally grabbed it from my hands, laughed and told me to buy a Hulk becuse my face matched his at that moment.

Furious and not thinking at the moment, I threw the Hulk figurine at him.

'The Incredible Hulk' was not that incredible, after all. It freaking fell to the ground and broke. I ended up paying for the broken Hulk and leaving the store without the Iron Man. After that incident, Baekhyun kept following me and asking me to go on date with him. Apparently, me telling him that my one finger salutes him, was 'too damn attractive'.

The moment of silence streched into minutes. Finally, Baekhyun decided to break it.

''I expected more from you.''

''Hmm?'' I muttered while keeping my hands clenched at sides to avoid wiping my sweaty palms.

''If you were brave enough to tell me to of seven years ago, then, have a ing courage and look me in the eyes!'' He never cursed at me before.

Startled by his harsh and serious reply, I shut my eyes and inhaled a deep breath.

In one fast move he closed the remaining space between us. Familiar scent surrounded me and suddenly breathing became too difficult. My eyes were still closed. I didn't dare open them untill Baekhuyn angrily told me to do it.

''Look me in the eyes!''

So I did.

I wanted to say something. Anything. There were so many things left unsaid between us. So many things I regretted. So many things I wanted to change, but couldn't.

After all, It's not an actor's job to write a script. It's author's.

An actor. That was the role I had to play in my crappy life. A supporting actor.

I was about to start talking but Baekhyun cut me off.

''That was the last time you were late to work! You must be at work at 7AM every morning. Be one minute late, you are fired. Leave the work one minute earlier, you're fired.'' He said slowly, emphasizing every word.

Speaking was a luxury I couldn't afford at that moment, so I just managed a small nod.

He laughed humourlessly and continued.

''I know you would do that on purpose to give me the reason to fire you.'' Damn, he knew me so well!

He brought his lips close to my ear and whispered. ''Don't even try! Your contract with Linxon is valid for one more year. So, whether you like it or not, you are stuck with me.'' Who was I trying to fool? I should have known this would happen the moment he laid his eyes on me.

Baekhyun was about to say something else but a door knock saved me from the hellfire. He shifted away from me and I was finally able to breathe again.

''Come in.'' He said never breaking the eye contact with me.

''Excuse me, Mr.Byun. There is a man waiting outside. He'd like to see you.'' Secretary Ji Eun said while enetering the office. She was a 35 years old woman loved by everyone at the company. She's been working as CEO Choi's secretary for ten years. He treated and loved her as his own daugter. Well, he treated all of us as his familly. Linxon company will never be the same without him. Ji Eun was a married woman with three kids. She had adorable two years old twins who were also part of our family and I loved them as if they were my own siblings.

''Did he give you his name?'' Baekhyun finally looked away from me.

''He said his name's Kim Jongdae.''

Apparently, this Jongdae was someone very important to Baekhyun, beacuse his face lit up like a Christmas tree at the mention of the name.

''Let him in.'' He said smiling.

Ji Eun nodded, excused herself and left the room. I was about to follow her but Baekhyun shifted his attention to me again and started talking.

''You are dismissed.'' He said while giving me a once over for the second time. ''For now.''

There were so many things I should have said at that point, but being a stupid coward I just managed a small nod and left not looking back. Honestly, I deserved worse.

My first instinct was to find a hideaway where I could collect my thoughts and emotions raging inside me. Unfortunately, there was no such thing as a hideway in our company, so I rushed outside and went to to the park behind the building.

Seven years. It's been exactly seven years since the last time I cried. After finding my mother half dead and crying throughout the night above her head in the hospital room, my body blocked all emotions. It's not that I didn't want to cry. I simply, couldn't. Numbing the pain was more important than feeling . I'd come to the point where I couldn't feel absolutely anything. Sadness, happiness, excitement, love, hate, death, they were all the same to me. They all represented nothing.

Seeing Baekhyun again was like a cold shower. It felt like I was awakened after sleeping for a long time. All the emotions rushed at once and no matter how hard I tried, I simply couldn't deal with them.

I sat on the first bench I found, burried my face in my hands and whispered the biggest lie to the ground.

I will survive.