Chapter V

Mine Forever

BAEKHYUN'S POV

''When I think about it, those times seemed like they’d last forever.''  (EXO: Girl x Friend) 

 

My blood was boiling with rage. When I saw her name on the employee list which secretary Ji-Eun gave to me, I refused to believe it was her. I mean, what were the chances of her working in the company I was about to take over. Plus, she was not the only girl in the country with that name. I did all the right things this time. Life just couldn't screw me over, again. But, the girl who was late to work was no one else but her. Seo Jia. The girl I hated with all my heart. When I saw her standing in the doorway to the conference room, I almost collapsed. It was a good thing I've learned to control my emotions through the years. I was a riddle wrapped up in an enigma and no matter how hard people tried, they couldn't solve it. 

After the meeting, I told her I wanted to have a word. For what reason, I myself had no idea. I just saw her leaving that room and reacted impulsively. Maybe I wanted to make sure I wasn't hallucinating and it was really her standing in front of me. I cringed, wanting to take back that thought the second I had it. ''Nah. I just want to see her hurt an humiliated. That's the only reason-'' I convinced myself.

I told her many nasty things. I even cursed at her, which I did only once before. The anger pulled the worst out of me. She didn't say anything. I didn't expect an apology from her! I knew damn well she was not sorry for what she did to me. What I wanted was to see the who told me to get lost from her life because I was just a distraction for her. A distraction from her boring life. A distraction she didn't need anymore because I was too childish and she didn't have time for my immature jokes and behaviour. She told me all of that standing in front of her house with another guy beside her. An older guy she's been seeing behind my back. This time, she was not pulling the card, but the goody two-shoes one. As if I were going to believe her innocent face! There were so many things on my mind that I wanted to tell her. Some more curses, too. A lot of nasty ideas were going through my mind. I wanted to punish her for every second I suffered because of her, but the secretary's knock on the door saved her. The rage inside of me has reduced a little when Ji-Eun informed me Kim Jongdae came to see me.That son of a gun couldn't wait a day longer. He had to come to my new workplace just to make fun of me. 

Kim Jongdae's visit might have saved Seo Jia, but, I still had her in my hands for the entire next year. That thought entertained me more than it should have and while watching her leave the room, I smiled. It was the kind of smile I adored giving to people. The wicked one! 

My thoughts were interrupted by Jongdae's loud voice. ''Is this the office of Mr.Byun Baekhyun, CEO of the Linxon company?'' He asked mocking me. I tried to glare but couldn't maintain it. It was impossible to get mad at him. He and Minseok were like my brothers. Not like.They were my brothers! After I moved to China with my parents seven years ago, I've decided to become IT engineer. I have always liked computers and video games, so enrolling in Beijing's most prestigious Information Technology College was the best decision I have made in my life. There, I met Jongdae and Minseok. I honestly thought I'd be the only Korean student. Fortunately, I was wrong. After we finished our first year, I've decided to move out from my parents apartment and move in with the two of them. We've lived together until we graduated.Then they had to go back to Korea and they asked me to join them, but I refused. I was never planning to return to my home country. My heart had been set on that idea for so long, I flat-out refused the offer to become the new CEO of a gaming company in Seoul. I was working for Orinox- the best gaming company in Beijing and was pretty satisfied with my job. My great skills and knowledge in programming made me respected and well-known employee by everyone in Orinox. I never liked to brag about my skills, but I was damn good at my job. The best in the company! Probably, that made me the target of my father's old friend who was the current CEO of Linxon. He was about to retire from his position and wanted to leave the company in safe hands. Acording to his words, his family was full of vultures who just wanted the company for money. The man was worried about the succuess of Linxon, but he was more worried about his employees. He wanted to make sure they still had their jobs and good salary after he's gone. I could tell he was not only a CEO worth admiring, but a great man, too. That was not the reason that made me accept the offer, though. The one who made me change my mind was my father. I could tell he was relly excited and happy about the idea of me working in that company, so, I didn't want to disappoint him. My parents and older brother were everything to me. I woke up every morning with the thought that they were the only reason worth fighting for. Worth living for! That's how I ended up buying the plane ticket and going back home for the first time in seven years.

''You couldn't wait one day longer! Couldn't you?'' I asked Jongdae. We had a dinner with Minseok the night before, and Jongdae told me to expect his visit soon. He also told me he heard there were a lot of cute girls working in my new company and he's looking forward to meet them. With his dark brown hair, black eyes, a contagious smile and positive personality, he was a total boyfriend material. He was still single, though. Minseok, as well. He ignored my question. ''Show me your office. I want to step inside the world of CEO Byun Baekhyun.'' I smacked him on the head with a planner I took from the table and led the way to my new office. He went straight to the chair and sat down after I've opened the door. ''Hmm.'' He stood up and sat down again. 

''What are you doing?'' I asked him.

'''I'm testing your chair. You'll use it a lot from now on. It's not good for your if the chair's uncomfortable.''

''It's my , Jongdae. You don't need to worry about it.'' I paused for a second and then continued. ''Why are you thinking about my ? Why the hell are we even talking about my ?'' He laughed and continued testing the damn chair. ''I'm your friend and that's what friends are for. Besides, you hava a nice bottom, man!''

''Jongdae, I'm not Minseok. Go to him and talk or touch each other's bottoms as much as you want. You two were always suspicious to me, anyways.'' I said an threw a pencil at him. I was joking, of course. Jongdae caught the pencil and laughed. ''You'll never know unless you don't try.'' He replied wiggling his eyebrows. If I dindn't know him better, I'd have thought he was being serious, but this was just a way of showing his love toward us. A weird way, but we got used to it. Actually, Minseok got used to it.

He shifted in the chair and the look on his face became more serious.''Thank you, Baekhyun.Thank you for returning to us. Minseok and I really missed you, brother.'' I noded my head appreciating his words and he opened his mouth as if to say something else but then changed his mind. We were silent for one minute but then he picked a new topic to talk about. 

''Who was the cute girl that left the conference rom before I came in?'' Damn it, Jongdae. You really know how to change the topic, I thought to myself. 

''She looked as if she's seen a ghost. What did you do to her?'' He continued. 

''That look on her face that you saw is the look of someone who's just came face to face with the person they thought to be dead. The person they killed by their own hands.'' Sighing, I responded to Jongdae's question. 

''You two have a history?'' He paused for a moment.''And by the look on your face and the words you just used, not a really good one.'' Jongdae rested his forearms on the desk and looked at me expectantly. He was waiting for an answer.

''Honestly man, it's not worth talking about it.''

''Let me be the judge of that.'' He insisted.

I tore my gaze from his curios expression and looked at the glass window behind him.

''Baekhyun-'' He started, again.''What happened with that girl? Who is she?''

I took a deep breath and shifted my attention back to him. I did not want to think about her. I did not want to go back to the past. To the day I threw away the old me. To the day I became a new Baekhyun. But, Jongdae really wanted to hear the story and because it was Jongdae who was asking, I squeezed my fist against my sides, cleared my throat and started talking.

''She's my ex...''