Chapter II

Mine Forever

 "Today and tomorrow, I will get up again
  And live through the day"

 

I used to be scared of death. I used to fear what would come after I was buried beneath the earth. Suddenly, just like that, I wasn't anymore. I didn't care if I dropped dead right there in the middle of the conference room. I didn't care, because after a long, long time, I was finally able to feel something again. Fear, sadness, happiness, anger and hate. I felt a rush of these emotions upon me.

Something started burning inside my chest. It hurt like hell, but at the same time it felt good. I wanted to scream, and cry, and hit, and tear something apart. More than anything, I wanted to run to him, to hug him so tightly that he would never disappear again. 

But 'wanting' was never enough! I could just stand there and stare at the stranger in front of me. 

Stranger who once meant everything to me.

"Jia, you have finally decided to bless us with your presence!" Kwang-jo said breaking the awkward silence. 

He was still staring at me, lips parted. 

My God! I was finally seeing those brown eyes and I never wanted to look away.

He'd always been beautiful. I used to think of him as my puppy. He hated it! He was not beautiful anymore. Now, he had the kind of beauty that stopped you in your tracks. He had grown into a slim, muscular man with carefully defined face and midnight black hair. The man standing before me was not the boy I once knew. The only thing familiar was the color of his eyes, and that's where the similarity ended. The eyes that were staring coldly at me told of many secrets but held them locked in a strongbox which you wouldn't dare to open in fear of what you might find within. Standing there in a white cotton shirt, black pants and one hand in pocket he looked as if he just came straight out of fashion magazine.

I could only imagine what was going through his head. What did he think of me now? I knew he couldn't like me, but...did he hate me? 

I got my answer soon enough. 

"Don't worry. Rest assured that things like this won't happen again in this company." He said coldly and looked away breaking our staring competition. 

He hated me. 

"Mr.Byun, if you are ready we can start the meeting now?" CEO's Choi secretary, Ji Eun, said. 

"Of course," he said as I held my breath. Never thought I'd be able to go so far without oxygen. "Mr. Choi has already left, so there's no need to wait for him. We'll start right away."

"C'mon, Ji, let's take a seat. " Hyu wispered in my ear.

I didn't want to sit. I didn't want to attend this meeting. I didn't want to look into those eyes. I just wished to press 'esc' key and disappear into thin air. 

Somehow I found the ability to breathe again and went over to sit next to Kwang-jo. I knew he was controlling himself from yelling at me. I didn't know the reason, but the man really didn't like me. Well, the feeling was mutual. 

"Hello, everyone! As you already know Mr. Choi is not chief executive officer of Lynxon anymore. From now on, that'll be my position." He said, still standing with one hand in a pocket.

"My name is Byun Baekhyun. I am new in this company, so I hope you will be open with me when I ask questions." Baekhyun. I haven't heard that name in a long time. 

"Now, let me get right to the point. What I expect from you is respect. I will treat you with respect at all times and I expect the same treatment in return." He smiled politely, but his voice was hard. "Lynxon  has a rich opportunity set, which you have built up over the last few years. This is a good position to be in. My goal as the new CEO is to make this company the best video game publisher in the country. To do that I need you all to work as a team. If you need help, you should ask for it. You should also provide help when you can. I expect maximum effort and personal sacrifices from all of you." His eyes darted from one person to another. 

He never looked at me. 

"These are my expectations. For now, that would be all. If you have any questions or concerns, my door is always open. Thank you for listening." He finished his speech and sat down in luxurious leather chair. 

A noticeable silence filled the room. I guess nobody expected this serious approach from him. 

"Well, if no one has any objections, I believe we can go back to work." Baekhyun clapped his hands and said. I could feel Kwang-jo tensing next to me. 

One by one, the employees stood up and went out without trying to ask any questions. I was just about to leave the room when I heard him calling my name. 

"Ms. Seo Jia, I'd like to have a word with you." 

The state of being screwed is just unique. I knew. I freaking' knew that Murphy's law wouldn't let me off the hook so easily. And my best friend knew that, too. 

"Ji, I am afraid the new Dark Lord is in the town." She whispered in my ear while clapping me on the back. "May the force be with you." Hyu said and left the room. 

Nothing was ever an easy ride with me. Damn Murphy couldn't cut me some slack just once. 

I often asked myself what would I've done if I had a magic wand. The list was not long. There were only two things I wanted. To save my sister and get my parents back. I could finally add number three to that list. I wanted to be able to use Obliviate spell to erase all Baekhyun's memories of me. Granted, all the good memories would be wiped out as well, but I'd still do it. 

Realizing help wouldn't come and escape was not an option, I sighed and turned around. 

Hyu was wrong when she said the new Dark Lord was in town. Baekhyun was not even remotely close to being Voldemort. He was not a villain in my story. 

I was.