Chapter 9

Ripped Fate [ON HIATUS]

The little boy who was Jungkook's friend.

"Jimin..."

Jimin brushes past Seokjin, not acknowledging him in any other way. He observes the house from his spot quietly before turning his head back to Seokjin just a tiny bit.

"Where is Taehyung and Mr. Kim?"

"They're out running some errands."

Seokjin watches Jimin saunter over to the table with the photo albums. He puts his hand on the top of the pile. "What are these books doing here? It's only making a mess." He takes the very top one, opening it to a random page. It happened to be the one with pictures of him and Taehyung. "Oh, those were good times. I miss being innocent and not having responsibilities, and how it....." he continues but Seokjin couldn't hear the rest.

He could only stare at him, still not believing how lucky he is to meet the same person, who had showed him kindness in the past. The child and the man standing before him right now are the same person.

Jimin notices him and scrunches his face, "Why are you looking at me like that?"

Many emotions bloom within Seokjin. Now that he realizes this, he's suddenly crying from shock, happiness and sadness.

Jimin is definitely thrown off. "Are you for real?! Am I that intimidating? I'm in this house for 30 seconds only and you're crying?"

Seokjin turns away, wiping his tears and trying to stop his hiccups. An act of kindness really does go a long way. Jimin sighs before walking closer.

"Look. I'm sorry for what I did before. I was... jealous," he stops right behind Seokjin. "And stupid." After that, he isn't sure what to do next. Comfort Seokjin? How? He doesn't feel like hugging him without it being awkward. Thankfully, Seokjin turns to face Jimin again, he managed to smile a bit, relieving him.

Jimin smiles back, a crooked one as only one corner of his lips was tugged upwards. He can feel himself get stronger. He's doing well, letting go and even working on getting on good terms with someone he use to consider as his love rival.

"Even after all these years, you're still so kind at heart," Seokjin says. "Don't worry about apologizing. I'm just so happy to see you again."

Jimin's face twists just a bit. He wonders why Seokjin is glad to see him, especially with their conflicts from before.

"Come on, Jimin," Seokjin's laugh wavers from emotion. It was like reuniting with Jungkook again. "Don't you remember me?"

There was a pause.

"I know you?" Jimin asked. He does a quick scan down memory lane, and Seokjin's face doesn't come up until meeting him at Taehyung's farm.  There is no way that he would have known him before that. "Are you sure? I don't think I've met you before."

Seokjin puts his hands on Jimin's shoulders. "Think. Do you remember a friend? We met through Jungko-"

He gets interrupted by the loud opening of the front door.

"Seokjin, I'm home."

Taehyung walks in with his father following after. His eyes lit up once he sees his lover but  dims a bit when he sees Jimin as well. Their eyes met for a second, then Taehyung looked somewhere else once he's sure that Jimin didn't come to do any harm.

"Jimin! It's nice to have you here. Can I help you with anything?" Mr. Kim says politely. Taehyung knows how much his father likes Jimin. Even when his mother was still here, she'd praised Jimin whenever she can.

Jimin's eyes fluttered to Seokjin for a second, still trying to understand their talk just a moment ago. What was he saying just before the interruption? "I-I was just speaking with Seokjin, Mr. Kim."

"I see. Taehyung and I were just settling some paperwork."

"What was it for?" Jimin asked.

"Just the farm," Taehyung said and there was a hint of frustration in his voice. He says nothing further and walks away. His steps can be heard as he walked up the stairs, most likely to his bedroom. Everyone watched him go, still watching even after he's gone. 

"Jimin, since you're here," Mr. Kim walks towards his study. "I'd like to talk to you about your parents."

"Huh?" Jimin almost didn't hear him, only worrying about his best friend. "Oh, Of course, just give me a moment." Jimin turns back to Seokjin, who looked like he wanted to say something, but just ended up pressing his lips together now that they're not alone.

"It's okay," the broad shouldered man says lowly, "It's probably important. Perhaps we can talk another time." With that, Seokjin starts heading up to Taehyung. When he got to the stairs, he turned back, almost waiting to see if Jimin recognize anything familiar yet. He doesn't.

Jimin follows Mr. Kim into the room. He sits in a chair in front of the desk. Taehyung's father folds his hand together before letting out a sigh, and with the look that he has, Jimin knows that this is serious talk.

~~

Seokjin knocks on the bedroom door softly before entering. Taehyung stood by the window, propped on the windowsill as he stares outside. Whatever was in his mind disperses at the moment once Seokjin's arms wrap around him from behind.

"What's going on?" Seokjin's asks, sensing that Taehyung has been more upset lately.

~~

"Your parents are very good friends of my wife and I," Mr. Kim says. "We knew each other for many years, long before you and Taehyung were even born."

Jimin loved hearing about this as a child. He knew about their parents' friendship ever since he was little. It was actually this that lead him to find his best friend... and first love.

~~

Taehyung turns around to hold Seokjin's face with both of his hands. He smiles when Seokjin's lips turned into a pout from his hands squishing his cheeks.

"I'm just thinking. About my dad. My mom," he presses his forehead on Seokjin's. "And most of all, I was thinking about you."

~~

"When Taehyung's mother passed, it hit us hard. I tried to go to another city to work there and to get away for a while, but I couldn't go a day without thinking about her."

Jimin looks down, remembering how Taehyung was like when Mrs. Kim was gone. "I'm sorry."

~~

"I just hope that everything will be fine, that my father will turn around and see that you are the one for me," Taehyung says as he and Seokjin are joined in a warm embrace. "I guess you can say that it's stressing me out quite a bit."

Seokjin turns his head to look at Taehyung, "You seem a bit down today. Want to go out?" Seokjin asks and kisses Taehyung on his cheek. Should they do something fancy, or something simple and comfortable?

Whatever it is, he wants tonight to be special.

~~

"I'll shorten this up. Things are falling apart. I don't know how long I'll be able to work, my money is not going to last forever. I sold what I can, including my wife's farm. It pained me, but I had to do it. For my only son." Mr. Kim stares at a framed picture of a young Taehyung on his desk. "He lost one parent already. I worry about what'll happen when it's my time to go. I want him to live stably and with someone I trust."

~~

"Instead of going out on a date, how about we spend a night out of this house, just you and me?" Taehyung suggests, and Seokjin is even more happy. He could definitely use more cuddles from his boyfriend.

"You think your father will be okay with that?"

"I'll write him a note since he's still busy."

~~

Jimin feels something awful coil in him once he knew what was coming. "Mr. Kim, I already said-"

"I remember what you told me before," he said but Jimin didn't feel relieved. "I'm sorry for doing this, but your parents and I came to an agreement."

~~

Taehyung and Seokjin walk out of the house hand in hand, towards downtown. They went to search for a room to rent for the night.

Just as they turn around a corner, Taehyung turns back to his home. The light in his father's study is on, and even though the curtains are drawn and heavy, he can sense that Jimin is still in there.

~~

The chair skids backwards, almost flipping over as Jimin stands up abruptly, hearing the pounding inside his chest in his ears, drumming so loud that it was almost deafening. "Mr. Kim, I see you as my second father. With all due respect, I don't think I'll be able to satisfy your request, even if my parents agreed. For the last time, he does not love me."

~~

Along the way, they bought ice cream. The cold sweets made them sweet as well. Just as they arrived at their assigned room, the dessert is completely gone.

Taehyung unlocks the door with the key. They've come across a nice hotel. He switches on the light.

Immediately, Seokjin rushes to lay on the fluffy bed. It felt nice to be in a different surrounding for now. He lifts his head up at Taehyung.

"Come over, Tae."

Seokjin looked so soft and comfortable in the bed, all sprawled out, Taehyung couldn't wait to join him. He shuts the door behind him and locks it.

~~

"I know this is hard. Your parents and I never want to force you children to do something without your say, but things have changed."

Jimin walks backwards towards the door, wanting to leave before he hears something he doesn't not want to hear. He's hurt Taehyung before. He doesn't want to hurt him again. But it was too late.

~~

Minutes later, Taehyung and Seokjin got comfortable and cuddled under the covers. Their fingers intertwine as they spoon. Taehyung, as the bigger spoon, presses his face into the back of Seokjin's neck.

His lips brush against the latter's nape, touching the supple skin. Because they have just eaten ice cream, Taehyung's lips were cold, causing Seokjin to shiver at the contact.

~~

Jimin comes out of the Kim's house. He sees that the moon is out now. After looking back at the door over his shoulder one last time, thinking that Taehyung and Seokjin are still inside, he lets out a shaky breath and runs away.

~~

Seokjin turned his head so that Taehyung's lips can reach his since they are still in their spooning position. The faint taste of sweet ice cream still lingers in their mouths and on their lips.

Reaching behind, Seokjin's fingers run through Taehyung's hair, tugging the locks gently.

~~

Everything is a whirl, blurry and unclear as Jimin races to nowhere. In his head, he doesn't know where he's headed, but in his heart, there is a feeling that he may actually know.

~~

The lamp is turned off, the room becoming dimmer. Under the moonlight, Taehyung and Seokjin kiss again, feeling a different kind of warmth bloom in them.

~~

Letting out a sharp cry, Jimin tries to pick himself up after he fell. The impact was hard due to his running, and he struggled to get back on his feet. His throat begins to burn from all the panting, his chest heaving.

~~

One by one, the buttons of Seokjin's shirt became undone. Taehyung's hand rests at his hip at first. It soon slides upwards, gliding across smooth skin.

He noticed some small scars on parts of Seokjin's body, faint and almost invisible. Each one received a kiss from Taehyung. He remembered how Seokjin grew up, and it always hurt him to recall what he went through, but at the same time, it makes Taehyung even more devoted to love him.

He kisses another scar on Seokjin's shoulder.

~~

Jimin almost tumbled down again from a tree root, knocking the air out of him. 'More,' he thought to himself as his elbows and knees sting from the fall.

'More.'

He yells when he tried to get up too suddenly; his ankle's twisted.

'More pain.'

~~

Taehyung moves between Seokjin's legs. All of their clothes were discarded long ago, thrown onto the floor. Their breaths are hot against each other's skin. They want more.

More...

~~

Feeling helpless now, Jimin bursts out in tears, sobbing uncontrollably, into the empty night. He shakes his head, recalling again what Mr. Kim told him.

"There's nothing I can do! No matter how much I try to stop it, I still love Taehyung! I love him with everything I have... This isn't what I wanted!" Jimin cries out to no one, or maybe himself. "No... this isn't what I wanted at all."

~~

Seokjin clasps his hand over his mouth in an attempt to quiet down his embarrassing whines. Taehyung smoothed his hand through Seokjin's hair, cooing, telling him that he wants to hear him.

~~

Jimin's shouts have now decreased into quiet croaks, weak and frail. He kept murmuring, and managed to drag himself forward despite his injury. He wanted to be alone but this loneliness is too overbearing.

Now that he's think of it, he doesn't have many people in his life. That's probably why he's here, when he doesn't have Taehyung to confide in.

~~

The room is filled with sounds from Taehyung and Seokjin. The room is dark, yet their eyes shone with burning desire. Taehyung pushed deeper, relishing the response of his lover. Soon enough, Taehyung is getting near, and he can feel that Seokjin is too.

~~

"Yoongi!"

Jimin attempts to yell as loud as he could in his current state. His clothes are all dirty and there are many scratches on his bare skin.

"Come out! I bet you would want to hear this!" Jimin laughs, sobbing in between.

Yoongi's farm is vacant, nothing is there except for the empty house. Great, he doesn't even have Yoongi to laugh in his face, telling him that it was karma.

Jimin ends up curling into a ball right where he's at, hugging himself as the temperature drops. He shook, and even though he already knew that Yoongi is gone, he tells him the news anyway.

"I'm marrying Taehyung!"

~~

Taehyung and Seokjin sigh, breathing deeply. They're left breathless, gasping from their ecstasy. Taehyung admires the handsome man who laid under him, caressing his face, which showed that he's tired but in bliss. They lean in together for another kiss.

Tonight is special. The couple felt even happier than ever.

~~





 

One week later

Jimin hobbles across his room with his crutches to open his curtains. The instant light made him close his eyes for a moment, and when he opened them, he's not surprised to see what's going on in the house next to his.

He could see Taehyung and Seokjin inside their house, being all lovey-dovey and stuff. Is it just him, or are they closer than before?

Taehyung kisses Seokjin and Jimin pulls the curtains closed again.

In case anyone's wondering, Taehyung does not know about their arranged marriage yet. Jimin bites his lip. If he had to take a guess when the news will break out to him, it'd be anytime now, but nothing is happening. Taking a peek at outside again, Jimin sees that Taehyung and Seokjin are now joined by Mr. Kim, who spoke to them in a way that is too friendly.

'Should I warn them?' Jimin thinks. 'No, I don't think that's a good idea.'He quickly tells himself to mind his own business; maybe Mr. Kim isn't even talking about the engagement. But after thinking twice, Jimin puts on a stern face.

"I'm going over."

He doesn't know what he'll do afterwards. Hopefully things will work on their own.

~~

For the first time in a while, Taehyung's father actually spoke to Seokjin. Even though it was a short, "Seokjin, would you mind if I speak to Taehyung for a moment, please?" he was quite thrilled. Seokjin thinks that this could be small steps towards accepting him.

So he's here now, in the backyard with a book in his hand. He sits down in a chair, resting in the sunlight. The book opens and he only got to read the first page when someone is heard approaching.

Seokjin lifts his head from the book to see Jimin sit down across from him, placing his crutches to the side.

"Hi, Jimin. Did you need something from Taehyung?"

"No," Jimin carefully maneuvers himself into a more comfortable position. "I came to talk to you."

A quick second went by before Seokjin remembers that they didn't finish talking last time. "Oh, yes. Why? Perhaps you've remember me by now?"

"What? No, I don't remember. That's not even why I'm here. I came to tell you that me and Tae-" Jimin stops midway. He came to tell Seokjin about the marriage and honestly, he forgot about the claim that Seokjin made about them knowing each other from before. Now he's curious. "Wait, explain more why I should know you."

Seokjin smiles, "Jungkook."

Jimin tilts his head.

"What?"

"Jung. Kook."

"I heard that the first time. I mean, what about 'Jungkook?'"

Seokjin frowns a bit, like he's confused. "That name doesn't ring a bell?"

Jimin shakes his head. "As of right now, no."

The broad shouldered man pauses, thinking for a moment then asks, "Hey, Chimmy?"

"Yeah?"

"Why did you respond to that?"

Jimin freezes. He doesn't understand himself. Why did he respond to such a kiddish name? "Um.... my.... mom... called me that as a child. I think," he says hesitantly.

Seokjin was going to say something but a bell rings loudly in Jimin's head right then and there.

"Wait!" Jimin shouted louder than he thought but it didn't bother him. "Wait a minute."

The book Seokjin has is settled in his lap as he leans forward, listening to what Jimin has to say.

"My mom would never call me that," Jimin says, shuffling through the years of his childhood. "Chimmy.... What was the name you mentioned earlier?"

"Jungkook."

"Jungkook... Jungkook..." Jimin repeats over and over. Would that be a friend? "Jungkook... Jungkook..." Jimin's eyebrows were so furrowed from thinking that they're almost connected.

His mind scrolls back a couple years back, many faces flashing through but none seemed to match with the name 'Jungkook.'

'Come on, Jimin,' he says to himself, 'There's gotta be something. It's not like anyone else calls him that nickname.'

There goes the bell.

Seokjin flinches a bit when Jimin sits up suddenly, like a lightbulb just lit up. "When I met this Jungkook, I was pretty young, correct?"

"Right."

"Are you... his brother?"

"Well," Seokjin explains, "we were close, like brothers, but not actually blood related.

"But you guys were the boys that I gave food to."

"You remembered?"

"That little boy was so thin, I thought he'd break if I pushed him," Jimin exclaims. "And I wanted to be friends with him. But he really did disappear from my memories for a long time."

"Jimin, you helped us," Seokjin says fondly. "Jungkook and I were going through a hard time and you were one of the few people who cared to do anything for us."

Jimin gaped at him; he definitely remembered Seokjin now. What a small world. Thinking about it now, how could he forget Seokjin? He still had some recognizable features, not to mention his voice, although it probably sounded younger back then.

"You said that you came here for another reason?" Seokjin brings him out of his thoughts.

Jimin feels his stomach sink.

He feels worst when Seokjin smiles, waiting patiently.

What is he going to say? He had just found out that they've been friends and to see Seokjin in love and happy, Jimin isn't sure if he'll have the heart to tell him what's going on behind his and Taehyung's back. Heck, he's not even done processing everything. Seokjin already forgave him but to know just now that he had hurt an old friend made Jimin really, really guilty.

"Seokjin..." He drifts off, not knowing how to continue. "Taehyung's father... maybe you should prepare yourself for what he's planning in the near future."

"What plan?"

Jimin looks away, "I wanted to say at first, but now I'm too afraid."

"Hey," Seokjin holds his hands to keep him assured, "You don't have to be scared. You can trust me if anything's bothering you. I promise I won't get mad if that's the case."

"Well I can't promise that you won't get hurt," Jimin huffs out in frustration. "And coincidentally, it'll be partly my fault."

"What are you getting at?" Seokjin said, trying  to understand without prying too much. He starts to become suspicious that it's more serious than he had thought.

The stress was too much, and Jimin contemplates whether he should say something or not. Is it really his place to break out the news?

He looks at the house, and lets out a startled gasp when his eyes locks with none other than Taehyung. How long he was there was the least of his worries. It was the way Taehyung looked at him, not with hatred, not love either.

Distance.

That's what it is. When was the last time they talked together comfortably as best friends? The answer is: before he declared his love for him. 

They're merely acquaintances now. Jimin even took it as far as considering them as just neighbors at this point. Had their friendship plummeted?

"You know, maybe I should leave. I don't feel too well," Jimin ends up saying, feeling depressed and dejected.

Seokjin helps him stand up. "Is it your ankle? Should I take a look?"

"No, it's fine. It's not the ankle. I just need to go home," he says before grabbing his crutches.

Seokjin offered to walk him to his house, but since it's only one house over, Jimin declines. Besides, he wants to be alone at the moment.

~~

Seokjin wakes from his nap, head turning towards the door immediately after loud series of shouting. It's evening now, almost dark. He sighs.

Taehyung and his father are fighting again.

It's been happening more over the past month, and Seokjin can never get in between to stop them.

Luckily, he probably woke up just as they ended, because it is relatively quiet now, and for the next few minutes. Seokjin expected Taehyung to come in soon and prepares for a long cuddle session that always calms him.

He stays awake to wait for him. But as the night went along, Taehyung never comes. Seokjin eventually drifts back to sleep after 5 long hours.

~~

The cold morning air wakes him up again. Seokjin gets confused when he sees that it's still dark. He reached over blindly to open the curtains. Still, there was no light.

He tries not to panic, thinking that he had lost his vision, but when he is able to find the lamp and turn it on, relief washes over him.

That's when he sees that his window is boarded up. Was there a problem with it when he had been sleeping? Walking over to open the door, Seokjin felt sad that Taehyung is still not in the room with him.

The doorknob rattled when Seokjin gets to it. He tries to turn the knob.

"Oh, no."

Seokjin feels his calm nature disappear as anxiety settles in the pit of his stomach. He's alarmed now, and hits the door loudly.

"Taehyung! Taehyung, Help! I'm locked in!"

He even called for Taehyung's father but it seems like no one is home.

Other than being in panic mode, Seokjin is very confused. Is he still dreaming and this is only a nightmare?

Soon, Seokjin helplessly falls back into his bed. He hugs a pillow, yearning for Taehyung to come back.

As the hours pass, it felt like the room is getting smaller and smaller, enclosing Seokjin inside the four walls.

~~

It's been hours of doing nothing but worry about what is happening. He tried to sleep many times but is always to anxious to fall asleep. He hasn't eaten at all either. It's probably night again when Seokjin's ears pick up on footsteps coming up the stairs.

Hungry and exhausted, he fell off the bed as he frantically rushed to the door. The sound of a key indicated someone unlocking it.

"Taehyung!" Seokjin exclaims but it was not him.

Mr. Kim stood still in front of him in a nice suit. Seokjin looks for Taehyung.

"He is not coming," the father says. Seokjin felt cold as he sensed that Mr. Kim did something. He recalls what Jimin has warned him about weeks ago. But what could he have done. Taehyung's father doesn't move from his place. 

"Today was Taehyung and Jimin's wedding."

Seokjin could barely hold himself up.

"What?"

"It's for the best. It's too late for you to do anything at this point."

Seokjin raises his voice, something he thought he could never do to Mr. Kim. "Is that why I've been locked in here all day?!"

"You would have interfered-"

"Of course I would! I love Taehyung!" Seokjin shouts. "You know that this isn't all about me, right? Your son does not want this."

Mr. Kim ignores him, turning and walking away, "You can leave whenever you want. Take your time. I don't own this house anymore and Taehyung and Jimin will have a house of their own."

Seokjin runs in front of him, blocking him. "Where? Where can I see him?" He gets ignored again.

As quick as he could, Seokjin puts on his shoes and leaves the house with the little spirt of energy he has left.

But he has no idea where Taehyung could be.