Chapter 3

Ripped Fate [ON HIATUS]

"I love you," Jimin presses his lips tightly together. "And I don't mean as a friend or anything. I have been in love with you for years!"

 

He keeps his eyes shut and holds his breath, waiting for the latter to say something. It was agonizing.

 

What if Taehyung doesn't feel the same? What if they can't even be friends anymore? These 'what ifs' are driving him crazy.

 

"Jimin," Taehyung says softly. Jimin wasn't sure what emotion was being displayed in his voice. He finally opens his eyes when Taehyung places a hand on his shoulder. Instantly, after seeing his face, he knew what Taehyung was going to say.

 

Jimin's heart dropped.

 

No... he knows what's next... he doesn't want to hear it.

 

Taehyung doesn't feel the same.

 

Fearing the answer, Jimin attempted to speak again, lying that it was all just a joke but his voice gets caught. A part of him wanted to go back in time and not confess at all. But time doesn't go back and it's too quick for him when Taehyung answers.

 

"I... I'm sorry but I can't say the same..."

 

Jimin bites his lips so hard that it feels like it'll bleed. His eyes dropped from Taehyung's face and he stares at his feet. Of course Taehyung would never see him in a romantic light.

 

The two don't say anything else; Jimin does his best to stay quiet while Taehyung wants to make sure that he's okay. In the end, Taehyung decides that maybe Jimin wants him to leave.

 

The man bursts into tears and a sobbing mess when the other leaves the room.

 

He loves Taehyung.

 

He doesn't think he'll ever stop loving him...

 

~~

 

Seokjin gasps when a pair of soft hands covers his eyes. The gate didn't make its usual creak whenever someone enters or exits. He hums as he think about who these hands belong to. 

 

"Taehyung?"

 

The hands were removed and Seokjin turns around, only to cover his mouth apologetically.

 

"You can't even recognize your best friend?" Yoongi acts offended, folding his arms and turning away. His bottom lip pokes out into a pout.

 

Seokjin fusses around, saying how he isn't talented at.... hand recognition.

 

Yoongi couldn't hold the act, laughing at Seokjin's behavior. "Jeez, I don't think I'll ever get mad at you."

 

He makes himself at home, waiting for Seokjin to finish feeding the pigs. Once the latter sits down, Yoongi looks around the small farm. It's a little farm, so there's not much to see or do. Yoongi has no idea how Seokjin was able to stay here for so long without even going out once. Doesn't it drive him crazy?

 

"Seokjin, let's go out today or tomorrow," Yoongi suggests again. He keeps asking this because he wants Seokjin to know the area.

 

Like always, Seokjin shakes his head. "I keep telling you, Yoongi, that I can't."

 

Yoongi sighs dramatically, sliding down a bit. "Pleeaseeeeeee! Aren't you bored?"

 

Seokjin just shrugs. All his life he's use to just staying home, if he can even call it that. Yoongi sigh deeply, "If you're scared of Taehyung, don't worry about it."

 

Seokjin quickly defends him. "It's not just Taehyung. I'm scared that someone will notice me and take me back to my aunt."

 

Not to mention that the old woman who took Seokjin home could be lurking out there somewhere too.

 

Yoongi waves his arm, "Like I said, don't worry about it. I can protect you." He flexes his pale, lean arms.

 

Seokjin giggles and takes a look around him. He believes Yoongi about the protection. Even though the latter is smaller than him, Yoongi can be pretty intimidating at certain times.

 

"Alright, alright. I'm done for now anyway so if we're gonna go, we better make it quick before Taehyung comes," Seokjin says and Yoongi quits complaining, jumping up and running around in circles, laughing childishly.

 

~~

 

Taehyung is quiet as he walked through the woods. His eyes are trained on the ground as he repeats Jimin's confession over and over. How could he not see this coming?

 

Now that he thinks about it, Jimin did show clues of love towards him over the years but he just brushes it off because they were friends.

 

Even so, he felt bad about possibly hurting the latter. He makes a mental note to discuss this with Jimin later.

 

Taehyung exits the woods and the small farm comes into view. He sighs; being at the farm relaxes him, especially because Seokjin is there.

 

Oh, look! Seokjin is coming out of the farm, hopefully to greet him. Taehyung smiles widely and waves. Seokjin hasn't seen him yet so he was going to yell out but stops when-

 

Yoongi closes the gate behind him and Seokjin takes his arm. They leave down the path and Taehyung wonders where they're off to.

 

He didn't notice the frown that took upon his face until an angry exhale leaves his nostrils. Surprised by his own reaction, Taehyung shakes his head, telling himself that the two were only friends. But again, why does he care?

 

He suppose that Seokjin should've at least let him know beforehand. Now, he's at the gate, trailing his hand along it as he continues to follow Seokjin and Yoongi from a safe distance.

 

They've entered the main road and soon enough, there were food stands everywhere. Taehyung ignores the smell of food wafting under his nose while trying not to lose the two men.

 

Seokjin seemed pretty fascinated; his head kept looking from left to right, taking everything in. Taehyung doesn't understand what's so amazing about the place, it's nothing uncommon.

 

Yoongi is pointing at things as they walk and Seokjin listens closely. Too close for Taehyung's liking. There were many people so it's hard to hear one another.

 

Taehyung bumps into a young girl, knocking her onto the ground. He quickly helps her up, apologizing and making sure she's okay. Once she assures him that she isn't hurt and left, Taehyung turns back to where Seokjin and Yoongi previously were. They weren't there anymore.

 

"Crap," he mumbles under his breath and struggles to get past people. After a few minutes, he caught a glimpse of Seokjin's face.

 

As he follow them again, he realizes that he was entering a quieter place. The loudness of the crowd starts to fade away and Taehyung is able to concentrate better.

 

He then hears a yell and immediately recognized it coming from Seokjin. It's not too far away and after a few turns, he finds himself with his jaw clenched.

 

Seokjin and Yoongi were standing in a small lake. He assumes that Seokjin fell because his clothes were soaked and Yoongi stood next to him.

 

Taehyung couldn't tear his eyes away from Yoongi's hands that trial across the top of Seokjin's body. He was only trying to help but Taehyung won't understand that until later.

 

~~

 

"Jesus, what an ," Yoongi mutters quietly. He is still in the lake, but is now soaked too as he watches Taehyung drag Seokjin away.

 

He didn't know when Taehyung started to follow them but he came out of nowhere and shoved him into the lake. Yoongi remembers Taehyung telling him to stay away from Seokjin.

 

He smirked despite being irritated from being pushed. Seokjin never mentioned any romance going on with Taehyung. He better ask him about it when he can.

 

But for now, he must go back home and change. And eat. Then sleep.

 

~~

 

Taehyung's grip on Seokjin's wrist doesn't soften as they walk back to the farm. Seokjin is too afraid to say something so Taehyung doesn't turn back to look at him once.

 

The gate swings open when they entered and Seokjin gets more nervous because Taehyung still hasn't let him go. His lips tremble from fear when he sees the large hand wrapped around his wrist.

 

They are now in the little house and Taehyung pins him on the nearest wall. Seokjin shuts his eyes, pushing out the tears that had gathered. This made Taehyung realize how hard his grip has gotten and finally releases the older man.

But the anger still has not vanished.

 

"What were you doing with Yoongi?" he asks firmly, "You didn't even talk to me about it, informed me of this."

 

Seokjin couldn't answer. He's been in peace for so long that when Taehyung becomes aggressive, it reminds him of his aunt.

 

No, he'll stay quiet. He won't anger his aunt.... he won't anger Taehyung.

 

Taehyung doesn't know why Seokjin will not speak a word.

 

"Seokjin. Talk to me," he says, hands on the latter's shoulders. Then he uses a softer voice.

 

"I'm... I'm just worried about you."

 

Seokjin relaxes a little, gaining the confidence to glance quickly at Taehyung. When he is sure that Taehyung won't do anything, he whispers an apology.

 

"No, I'm the one that should be apologizing," Taehyung sighs. He's been out of it lately and should have been more careful around Seokjin. "I just couldn't stand you being outside with someone else."

 

It wasn't exactly jealousy.

 

"I'm sorry if I scared you but," he pauses. "I don't want what happened to my mother to happen to you."

 

Seokjin's tears were wiped away by Taehyung's thumbs. He rest his head on the wall, right beside Seokjin's.

 

"I always feel uneasy when you're here alone. What if the same people come and hurt you too? I don't want that to happen to anyone," Taehyung says quietly. Seokjin then understand, nodding while staring into his tired eyes.

 

"Don't worry, Taehyung. Nothing is going to happen," Seokjin feels his tears starting to dry. Taehyung looks down at Seokjin's wrist.

 

"I hurt you, didn't I?" he stands straighter and takes Seokjin's hand to examine it. "Don't cry, I'll make it better."

 

Seokjin takes his wrist back. "It's okay. This is nothing."

 

Taehyung raised his brows, "What do you mean? You're hurt. Someone has to help you."

 

Seokjin tensed up and Taehyung notices. He reaches out to touch Seokjin's arm but the other flinched away, cowering a bit.

 

"Seokjin... what happened to you before you came here?"

 

~~

 

Taehyung looks down again to the man laying in his arms. Seokjin had fallen asleep and he sees one last tear slip down the elder's face.

 

He had just learned about Seokjin's past and it made him speechless. Taehyung felt embarrassed and ashamed of himself at how he acted when Seokjin first arrived here.

 

But abuse.... as a child too. Taehyung hugs him tighter. It's horrible.

 

Seokjin didn't get into much details and Taehyung didn't push him. It's good that the man has escaped and knowing his past only made Taehyung want to keep him safe.

 

He told Seokjin to consider him as a friend, someone he can look for whenever he needs help.

 

It's nice to be here, to know more about the man. Taehyung doesn't feel like going home.

 

~~

 

Jimin didn't see Taehyung for a week straight. After the confession, he hid in his room, not wanting Taehyung to see him. He doesn't want to think about how disgusted Taehyung will look at him if they bump into each other outside their houses.

 

But to his surprise, he overheard his parents talking about how Taehyung hasn't return from the farm the same week. There's no need for Jimin to hide in the first place then. His parents spoke quietly but Jimin sneaks up to listen.

 

"Poor boy. His father doesn't seem like he's coming back anytime soon," Jimin frowns. He doesn't know all the details of why Mr. Kim have to be away for so long but in his opinion, the father should be here instead, consoling his son.

 

"Talk to him," his mom says, referring to Mr. Kim. "Tell him that maybe we can help. Jimin and Taehyung are close, it won't be hard for them to....." Jimin couldn't hear the rest.

 

He blinks once. Then twice. Help Taehyung? The man sighs. Yes, that's what his friend needs right now yet here he is, hiding instead of being with Taehyung. He can't even imagine losing his own mother.

 

Though it's been a while now, Jimin knows that Taehyung is still grieving.

 

He gets upset at himself. "Why am I so selfish? What am I, a child? There's no time to be immature."

 

With that in mind, he hopes to talk to Taehyung again. Maybe... maybe he can make Taehyung like him too.

 

~~

 

Jimin jumps when he steps on a twig, snapping it in half. The woods had always scared him, even though he never admits it, but he needs to get to the farm if he wants to see Taehyung.

 

It wasn't until he was halfway there that he realizes that he shouldn't have traveled alone. Bad people can pop out of nowhere and there'll be no one to help him.

 

The thought of him screaming Taehyung's name for help but being too far for him to hear scares him even more, making him walk faster.

 

Then, he hears footsteps from somewhere. Jimin stops to listen but the steps stopped too. Is he just imagining them?

 

He keeps looking around him and sees no one. At the moment, the only thing he wanted to do is to get out of here.

 

After a few more minutes, a wave of relief washes over him once he steps out of the woods and sees the farm in view. He clutched his chest, feeling his heart's frantic pounding slowing down into a calm, rhythmic beat.

 

He'll finally see Taehyung again. Jimin chooses to ignore his rejection. It was only going to give him a headache.

 

His feet stumble a bit as he walked down the small hill, almost slipping a few times along the way too.

 

The man comes to a stop to rest. He's at the gate now, leaning on it for support. Jimin looks up for Taehyung. But as he was searching, he sees a shadow approaching him from behind.

 

~~

 

Seokjin blushes when Taehyung insisted on helping him clean up. It wasn't doing chores or anything; he meant cleaning his face.

 

He got dirt smudged across his cheek and forehead and didn't even noticed until Taehyung spotted him at the chicken coop. Seokjin had immediately used his shirt to wipe his face but it only made it worse.

 

"Hold still. It won't take long," Taehyung says with a soft smile. As his large hand cleaned the elder's face with a small towel, Seokjin couldn't stop himself from staring at Taehyung's face. His eyes were focused, strong and his lips were pressed into a line with concentration.

 

"Why are you smiling like that?"

 

"Huh?" Seokjin blinks a couple times before realizing. He looks down from the other's gaze, "I didn't mean to stare." That was all he could say.

 

Taehyung laughed out a single breath, "Don't worry about it." Seokjin was going to slump down in relief but Taehyung grins, "I like to watch your face all the time too."

 

The broad-shouldered man spluttered out surprised noises, none making any coherent words. Taehyung was just kidding around but Seokjin couldn't force himself to not get flustered.

 

The two were interrupted by a frightened scream.

 

Seokjin turns towards the sound, which came from the front of the farm. "What was that?" He knew it was a man's scream but what caused it?

 

"Stay here," Taehyung walks away and Seokjin looks around in case he needs to hide. Could it be the bad people here?

 

~~

 

Taehyung sees two men at the gate, the smaller one struggling against the taller one. He squints to see better and once he did that, he could see that one of them is Jimin.

 

"Hey!" he gets there faster. He swings the gate open, almost breaking it and pushing the hooded man away aggressively.

 

Jimin dives into Taehyung's chest for protection. Taehyung finds himself securing him with one arm while the other is prepared to throw itself at the man who was attacking Jimin.

 

"What the hell is wrong with the both of you?" The man shouts and Taehyung's protective behavior subsided a bit, "Especially you, Taehyung."

 

Yoongi looks pissed; he doesn't like to be pushed around. He let the time at the lake with Seokjin slide but this one made him extremely angry.

 

Taehyung looks at Jimin, who trembles from shock. He turns back to Yoongi, "You were attacking Jimin."

 

Yoongi glares at Jimin, making him cower and hide his face even more. "If you interpret 'trying to ask a tired-and-scared-looking boy if he was alright' as attacking, then I'm guilty."

 

While Taehyung and Yoongi argue, Jimin turned and see a man peeking around the small farm house. When he saw that Jimin saw him, he hid.

 

"I was just trying to make sure that he's fine," Yoongi stressed again.

 

Taehyung shakes his head, "You don't even know him. Why would you care?"

 

"Because unlike you, I am not an-"

 

Before Yoongi can finish, he see Seokjin peeking from the house too. He calls out to him quickly, "Seokjin!"

 

Seokjin, who has been spotted, retracts a bit at first before slowly making his way to the others.

 

"What happened?" He asked. Seokjin had decided to ignore Taehyung last minute, following him to the gate. He came a little late, so he missed most of what happened.

 

Yoongi was going to respond but Taehyung beats him. "Nothing," he glares at Yoongi, telling him that they're not going to push this further, "Just some misunderstanding, that's all."

 

Yoongi looked like he wanted to say something but held his tongue. It was difficult but if he and Taehyung kept going at each other, they'll end up with hands around each other's necks. Seokjin will probably give him a lecture; Yoongi still can't fully understand why the man respects Taehyung.

 

"Come on," Seokjin finally says, picking Yoongi up. He turns to Taehyung. "I'm going to take Yoongi home."

 

It was more like he's asking for permission and Yoongi frowns at that. Taehyung nods and Seokjin whisks Yoongi away.

 

Jimin watches the two walk farther and farther. He looks up and is surprised to see that Taehyung is looking at him.

 

"Are you hurt anywhere?"

 

Jimin shakes his head with a low "no." Even though he tried not to, he can't stop the butterflies from fluttering inside him.

 

"Idiot."

 

"What?!" Jimin immediately yells. Taehyung smirks a bit.

 

"I know that you don't like the woods. You know that as well so why did you come alone?" he says. Jimin feels Taehyung's hold loosen and his heart sank a little.

 

"I...just wanted to see you," he says shyly. "I heard that you haven't returned in a while so I was worried."

 

Jimin starts to gush about how much Taehyung meant to him and how he should always take good care of himself.

 

Meanwhile, Taehyung's eyes were fixed on him. He can see the love that Jimin has for him, out in the open. It makes him even more guilty now that he can't return those feelings.

 

"Taehyung?"

 

The taller man snaps out of his thoughts. "Hmm?"

 

"Can I stay at the farm for the next few days?" Jimin asks.

 

Taehyung didn't hesitate to say yes. Jimin is still his best friend and he wouldn't want him to go back home through the woods. He then remembers someone else.

 

"Oh, Jimin. I have to introduce you properly to Seokjin," he says excitedly. Taehyung thinks that the two will get along very well.

 

Jimin tilts his head, "Seokjin?" That was the man that was here a moment ago, was it?

 

~~

 

"There," Seokjin says as he tucks Yoongi into his bed. "Now you just need some sleep, okay?"

 

Yoongi grumbles about not wanting to be treated like a baby and Seokjin giggles. When the man is finally asleep, Seokjin leaves quietly.

 

He walked back and soon sees Taehyung still at the gate. The brown-haired man looked like he had been waiting for Seokjin.

 

"I'm back."

 

"I can see that," Taehyung grins. "Don't just stand here. Come on, I need you to meet Jimin."

 

With that, he takes Seokjin's hand, leading him into the farm. Seokjin can feel how excited he was. Taehyung hummed a happy tune with a bounce in his walk.

 

They entered the little house and a boy, Jimin, is sitting at the table. Seokjin remembered being spotted by him earlier.

 

"Jimin, this is Seokjin. Seokjin, this is Jimin, my best friend," Taehyung smiles widely. Little did he know, Jimin winced slightly at the words, 'best friend.'

 

"Hello," Seokjin bows politely. "It's nice to meet you."

 

Jimin felt his eye twitch. Why did he feel a pinch of irritation towards the man? Not just now, but also earlier with the incident with Yoongi.

 

"Likewise."

 

Seokjin has a look of confusion on his face; he couldn't define the tone of Jimin's voice. But he didn't need to worry about it because Taehyung, who didn't sense anything, starts to talk.

 

"Seokjin, can you start dinner soon?" The way his eyes have a soft gleam in them made Jimin squirm uncomfortably. He never saw Taehyung like that whenever they are together.

 

Taehyung turns to Jimin, "Seokjin is a great cook. It's also one of the reasons why I don't want to leave this place."

 

Seokjin's face grows pink from the compliment. Jimin has his lips sealed shut.

 

Sure, dinner is going to be lovely...

 

~~

 

Though Jimin didn't want to, he had to admit that Taehyung is right; Seokjin is amazing at cooking.

 

But he didn't want to say anything about it. If he did, Taehyung would just go on even more about Seokjin and Jimin honestly does not like that.

 

He poked at the delicious food as if he can't see what's so good about it. Taehyung took notice and asks if he was sick.

 

That led to Taehyung offering Jimin to sleep in his bed. Saying that he wasn't happy at the offer would be a lie. His heart began to race again at the thought of sleeping in Taehyung's cozy bed.

 

As Jimin laid on Taehyung's bed, which he had learned was originally Seokjin's, he wants to slap himself for still being in love with his friend. Taehyung has never mentioned the confession once since it happened and Jimin is a bit relieved. He now wasn't sure if he should really let him go or keep trying to make him love him back.

 

It's way past bedtime and Jimin still couldn't go to sleep. The scent of Taehyung that still lingers on the bed only made it more difficult.

 

When he couldn't stand it any longer, he got up to walk around. Jimin just realized now that if he took Taehyung's bed, where did Taehyung sleep?

 

The door creaked slowly as Jimin makes his way out of the room. The only light was coming from the small living room, spilling into the hallway.

 

'Is he asleep?' Jimin thinks while walking as quiet as possible. He peers into the living room and felt his whole body tense up.

 

Jimin had to bite his bottom lip to stay quiet. His fists were clenched tightly at his side and his eyes burned with jealously.

 

Taehyung is deep asleep in the armchair in the corner. His face looked as peaceful as ever and Jimin would have thought that it was a beautiful sight if it weren't for the man with him.

 

Seokjin is sleeping in his lap, head on Taehyung's shoulder. The way their two bodies fit together perfectly made Jimin want to vomit. The way Seokjin's lips were so close to Taehyung's made Jimin's heart swell painfully.

 

And Jimin wants to tear Taehyung's hand off of Seokjin's waist.

 

"So this is why you don't love me," Jimin whispers with frustration. He glanced to Seokjin's face again.

 

First, he must make sure that there is absolutely nothing between the two. Jimin can not love anyone else; it has to be Taehyung. Second, even if they aren't together, he must find a way to keep a distance between them.

 

Seokjin shifts a little then moves his hand up Taehyung's chest to drape over his other shoulder to be more comfortable.

 

Jimin adds another reminder.

 

He'll prevent Seokjin from developing any feelings for Taehyung if he hasn't yet.