Chapter 4

Ripped Fate [ON HIATUS]

Seokjin wakes up and felt shy when Taehyung is still sleeping with his arm around him. Though they didn't get to sleep in a bed or somewhere more proper, Seokjin felt like he had a good night.

 

He hears a door being opened, which made him panic and stand up quickly, waking up Taehyung too. Seokjin doesn't want Jimin to make any assumptions about them, so he moves away, fixing his hair.

 

When he took a small look back at Taehyung, he turns back right away. Taehyung was looking at him with a small smirk.

 

"Good morning."

 

"I should start breakfast," Seokjin says and rushes off before he could possibly embarrass himself. Once he was gone, he hears Jimin speaking to Taehyung.

 

As he cooked, his mind kept going back to last night:

 

Taehyung and him were just talking, nothing too special, but then when he brought up fixing him a place to sleep, Taehyung told him to come over.

 

Seokjin was definitely flustered when Taehyung pulled him into his lap, laughing at his reaction. When Seokjin didn't laugh back, he apologized and lets him go. But then Seokjin didn't leave. He found the latter's body cozy and things took a sharp turn. They fell asleep pretty quickly.

 

"Seokjin, where is my favorite shirt?!" Taehyung shouts from the bathroom. Seokjin quickly finishes his task before leaving the small kitchen to help his boss.

 

As they searched the bedroom and closets, Jimin sneaks into the kitchen. At first, he examines the pots and plates, full of tasty food. The sundubu jjidae smelled good, as expected. Three bowls were filled with it.

 

It won't taste good once it's served though...

 

~~

 

Jimin offers to serve the food. Seokjin thanked him and Taehyung looks excited to dig in. All three of them begin to eat and Jimin watches Taehyung be the first to eat the stew.

 

He added many other spices and salt into Taehyung's bowl specifically. Once he eats it, he'll think that Seokjin did a horrible job at cooking it. Jimin had to hide his smile.

 

Taehyung's excited face slowly changes into a confused one. He swallowed hard and stayed still, as if he's processing the very strange taste of the stew.

 

Seokjin notices and asked if it tasted bad. Jimin was about to complain that the sundubu jjidae was too unbearable to eat even though Taehyung's bowl was the only one he sabotaged. Before he could say anything though, Taehyung smiles at Seokjin.

 

"No, it's very good. I was just stunned by how delicious it is," Taehyung says and Jimin was taken aback.

 

Did he screw up?

 

He panicked when he thought that he misplaced the bowls. Did he give himself the bowl? Jimin cautiously taste his stew but it was perfectly fine.

 

"Right, Jimin? It's tasty, isn't it?" Taehyung grins and he forced a smile back.

 

"Yeah, very... good..."

 

Jimin glanced back at Taehyung and noticed how he looked like he's struggling to gulp down the soup. It was subtle but Jimin saw through it.

 

He didn't misplace the bowls at all.

 

Taehyung was just lying that the stew Jimin tampered with was great when it must've tasted like crap. He pretended to like it so Seokjin wouldn't be offended or hurt.

 

Jimin couldn't watch anymore when Taehyung lifts the bowl up, finishing every bit of it. He looked like he wanted to gag but he didn't.

 

'Damn it, Tae. Stop eating it if you don't like it,' Jimin says in his head.

 

Seokjin didn't see this though. He looked glad that Taehyung "enjoyed" the food. "Would you like more, Taehyung?"

 

Jimin glares at him but it wasn't seen.

 

"I'd love to!"

 

Jimin picked at his food again when Taehyung's face actually lit up from the stew that wasn't touched by anyone else but Seokjin.

 

He loves it for sure and Jimin could see his question through his face: Why did the first bowl taste completely different than this one?

 

"Jimin, are you feeling alright?" Seokjin looked concerned. "You didn't eat much last night and you're not eating much now either."

 

Jimin takes a mouthful of everything Seokjin cooked. "I'm fine," he says bitterly but with all the food in his mouth, it came out as cute and Seokjin giggles at him. He's completely oblivious to Jimin's intentions.

 

Why isn't this going Jimin's way?

 

~~

 

After a few days, Jimin needed to go back home for his parents. He felt anxious, leaving Taehyung alone with Seokjin but he can't stay any longer.

 

Seokjin packed him some lunch and Taehyung sent him off. He walked with Jimin until they've gone through the woods and into the main road. Now there's more people around and Taehyung feels more at ease, letting Jimin go on his own from there.

 

He waved at his friend before turning and heading back to the farm. His house would be empty for a long time since he doesn't plan on going back any time soon.

 

As Taehyung entered the woods again, he thought about how Jimin wasn't very enthusiastic when he met Seokjin. Usually, the friend would be excited to meet another friend of Taehyung but this time, however, was different.

 

"Maybe he wasn't feeling well," Taehyung guesses. Jimin barely ate anything the entire time he was at the farm.

 

When he returned to the farm, Taehyung immediately searches for Seokjin. The handsome man is not taking care of any of the animals so he assumes that he must be inside. Yet when he opens the door of the little house, there was only silence.

 

"Seokjin?" Taehyung calls out. No response.

 

It hits him hard when he realizes that the gate was wide open when he entered earlier. Did Seokjin leave with Yoongi again? Did someone try robbing them? But everything is still here, untouched.

 

Taehyung wanders around outside and finds himself by the little stream at the very far end of the farm. He almost never comes here since it was far but there Seokjin is.

 

As he neared, he hears little sobs and stops. Why is Seokjin crying?

 

Taehyung takes a step forward, accidentally snapping a twig. Seokjin jumps at the sudden noise but Taehyung can see him relax slightly when he saw him. The older man turns away, wiping his tears before Taehyung can see them clearly.

 

"What are you doing here?" Taehyung asks softly. He sits on the log next to Seokjin. The man turns again to avoid eye contact but that only made Taehyung lean closer.

 

"Why are you crying?"

 

Seokjin gives up trying to hide his face. He looked like he had been crying for a while. His puffy eyes said so.

 

"I... I was just lonely," he replies.

 

Taehyung felt like there was more to that answer. "Lonely? But I'm here. I'll bring Jimin over and he can be your friend as well."

 

If Yoongi was here, Taehyung is pretty sure that he'd be angry since he wasn't mentioned.

 

"I mean... I just miss someone," Seokjin says quietly with a sniff.

 

Taehyung felt extremely curious. This person must mean a lot to Seokjin. But he never mentioned anybody special to him and Taehyung only saw him with Yoongi.

 

"Someone?"

 

"Ah, it's nothing. You probably don't want to listen," Seokjin forces a small laugh and fiddle with his fingers.

 

"Actually, I do want to know. Mind telling me who this person is?" Taehyung can't help but ask. Seokjin gives him a wary look but a gentle nod makes him talk.

 

"When I was younger," the older one starts, "my aunt never let me have any friends. I felt this loneliness around me all the time."

 

Seokjin pauses and Taehyung can see him picturing the memories, "But one day, this little boy is brought to the house. He was younger than me, frail and small. I love him as if he was my brother. My aunt has always abused me, but when she began hurting Jungkook-"

 

Taehyung quickly caught the name as Seokjin speaks, "I felt useless that I can't even protect the one person I love."

 

There was a brief moment of silence. Taehyung then asks, "What happened to Jungkook?"

 

Seokjin smiles sadly. "He's in a better family now. Better than being with my aunt. But ever since he left, that loneliness returned. I gave up on being saved."

 

Seokjin stops there and it's fine because Taehyung already knows what happened afterwards. He's already been told how Seokjin ran away after being sold.

 

"Hey," he gently nudged Seokjin, "You're safe now, aren't you? I promise you won't go back. I promise to keep you safe."

 

Taehyung's smile afterwards made Seokjin blush. It was sincere and he felt a foreign feeling inside him. When Taehyung wraps his arms around Seokjin, pulling him closer, he was stunned. Especially from the small kiss that Taehyung places on his head. Seokjin almost couldn't feel it since the kiss was very subtle and the kiss was on his hair.

 

He took in the scent of the man, the warmth, and the affection. As far as he remembered, the only person who really gave him this kind of affection was Jungkook. But just now, Taehyung is officially added to the list.

 

~~

 

For the next course of time, Seokjin finds himself being drawn to Taehyung more and more. The two probably spent time together on every inch of the farm and Taehyung felt that maybe there should be a change of setting.

 

"Seokjin! Come here when you're done!" he says excitedly, "I have something to tell you!"

 

A few minutes later, Seokjin comes to Taehyung, who is still beaming.

 

"Yes, Mr. Kim?"

 

"Oh, stop that. Anyway, we're going out today," Taehyung places his hands on his hips.

 

Seokjin tilts his head. "Out?"

 

"I haven't gone home for more supplies, so let's go buy some things at the market," Taehyung explains briefly before the casual creaking of the gate breaks through.

 

"Seokjin!" Yoongi opened his arms and Seokjin runs into them without hesitation. Taehyung stood in his same spot, watching in displeasure.

 

"Want to hang out today?" Yoongi asks and Seokjin immediately looks trouble. He turns to look at Taehyung and Yoongi groans, getting an idea of what happened.

 

"Geez, Mr. Annoying Boss, can you not steal my friend?" he says and squeezes Seokjin closer. Taehyung smirks and knows that it only made Yoongi more annoyed.

 

"I am deeply sorry," Taehyung even bows, "that your friend would rather be with me than with you."

 

Yoongi gasps, "You take that back!" He holds Seokjin by his shoulders, "Seokjin, tell me that isn't true."

 

"Yoongi!" Seokjin exclaims, "I would never do that! You're my best friend!"

 

"Hmph!" Yoongi huffs at Taehyung before turning back to Seokjin. "So you're free today?"

 

"No, Taehyung and I have to go to the market today," Seokjin answers. Yoongi would've started to bicker with Taehyung again if it weren't for Seokjin's stern face that told him not to.

 

"Fine. But," he points a finger at Taehyung, "If Seokjin comes back with a single scratch, you'll never see daylight again."

 

Taehyung shrugs. "Whatever you say, grandpa," he ruffles Seokjin's hair, "He'll be safe with me."

 

~~

 

The market was filled with chatter.

 

Seokjin marveled at the colorful fruits and vegetables and his mouth water at the sweet treats. Taehyung notices and gives him money to buy himself something. As expected, Seokjin refused but the latter kept urging him.

 

The handsome man bought some simple steamed buns, sharing them to Taehyung. Thy had almost everything they needed when Seokjin sees someone over Taehyung's shoulder.

 

He gasped and froze in fear.

 

Taehyung feels Seokjin tugging his sleeve. He turns his head and saw how the other was trembling.

 

"I have to get away from here," Seokjin whispered to his ear and Taehyung knew that they should move quickly. He doesn't even know what Seokjin saw.

 

"Okay, stay close," he takes his hand and they walked away carefully, making sure that they aren't attracting any attention to them.

 

They are out of the market and once they were on the main road again, Seokjin apologizes.

 

"What happened?" Taehyung finally asks.

 

"I saw a man who frequently picked up my aunt," Seokjin remembers. "He's one of the men that she sleeps and go out with but I recalled how he looks like since he comes by so often."

 

"Well I'm glad nothing happened," Taehyung signed in relief.

 

"What if he already saw me?" Seokjin begins to panic, "He'll tell my aunt and she will find me... she'll make me go back and I can't-"

 

"Seokjin, Seokjin," Taehyung says soothingly. "Remember that I'm here and nobody is going to take you back."

 

He takes Seokjin's hand that still held a steamed bun, raising it up and taking a bite. "Now eat your food."

 

~~

 

As more time goes by, Taehyung and Seokjin start to fall in love with each other. They're too shy to confess yet, but already know how the other felt without saying anything. Seokjin knows that Taehyung likes him and Taehyung felt overjoyed when he confirmed that Seokjin liked him too.

 

But they never addressed it so it's just like they're close friends. Taehyung doesn't even look like Seokjin's boss anymore since he works by his side and follow the older's requests.

 

One day, Jimin decides to come back to the farm. He has come back here every once in a while and could see that Taehyung and Seokjin has definitely got closer and closer with each visit.

 

The farm was calm as usual and Jimin is glad that he didn't run into any strangers or Yoongi. He walked cautiously, like he didn't want to make any sound. When he hears faint talking around the corner of the house, he took even quieter steps.

 

A peek around that corner makes him burn.

 

Seokjin is in Taehyung's arms as they sat on a rock, talking and giggling about something. They looked so happy and didn't even notice Jimin's arrival.

 

He didn't know why he couldn't muster up the courage to interrupt them.

 

What does Taehyung see in Seokjin anyway? He's just some lonely man with nowhere to go.

 

~~

 

Seokjin giggles when Taehyung leans in near his face, tickling him. He turns his head to face him and tell him to stop but went still when he saw how close they were to each other.

 

Taehyung felt like the moment is right, so he tilts Seokjin's head up, gazing into his eyes. It felt like time was slowing down as their lips got closer.

 

"Excuse me?!"

 

The two jumped away from each other when a voice intervened. Seokjin gasps when he spots the shorter man with his hands on his hips.

 

"At least get a room," Yoongi says with slight revulsion. "There is an innocent child present as well." He pulls Jimin out from behind the house and Taehyung felt his heart drop a bit.

 

Jimin yanks himself away from Yoongi, glances at Taehyung, then runs off.

 

"Jimin!" Taehyung ran after him.

 

"See? You scared him," Yoongi says after him. Seokjin looked like he is in a trance.

 

"Hey, you okay?" his friend asks, sitting next to him.

 

"I'm fine."

 

"So you and your boss are a thing now?"

 

"No."

 

"Good. You can still hang out with me then," Yoongi cackles when he imagines Taehyung's jealous face. It was always a funny sight to see.

 

"What was I thinking?" Seokjin worries. He covers his face and groans.

 

"Eh?"

 

"Yoongi, I," Seokjin lifts his face up enough so that his friend could hear clearly, "I almost kissed him." He hides his face again.

 

"I know," Yoongi says with a smile, "I assume you both like each other and I don't see any problems. Besides the fact that your boss is an absolute-"

 

Seokjin tunes out the rest of Yoongi's sentence. Instead, he stares at the direction that Taehyung and Jimin went in. Why was Jimin upset?

 

~~

 

"Hey, Jimin!" Taehyung was still chasing Jimin. He gets caught right before he can leave the farm.

 

"Let go."

 

"But I-"

 

"Let go!"

 

Taehyung does as told, releasing Jimin's arm. Jimin doesn't move either, looking at his feet. Taehyung sighs. "I'm sorry you had to see that. Don't be mad at me."

 

"Do you love Seokjin?" Jimin whispers. Although he knows the answer like usual, he needs to hear it from Taehyung's heart. He needs confirmation.

 

"Yes, I do," Taehyung says. "I think he likes me too. But I don't want to tell him yet. I still want to live in this moment of falling in love." Jimin could see that he's already lost in his words.

 

"Is that so?" Jimin mutters out. It may not be too late if he's still only falling. All he has to do is catch him before it's too late.

 

And in order to do that, he must take very good care of Seokjin.

 

~~

 

After seeing Taehyung and Seokjin almost kiss, Jimin stayed over for a longer period of time. It was a close call and he can't let it happen again.

 

He was successful because Taehyung and Seokjin would be more careful to not do anything since he is around. They kept a safe distance within each other and that was enough for Jimin.

 

The only thing Jimin didn't like was whenever Yoongi pops out of nowhere. He swears that man can teleport. But ironically, Jimin actually finds Yoongi a bit helpful. Seokjin's attention would usually be drifted to his friend instead of Taehyung.

 

All was pretty good until one evening, when Yoongi invited Seokjin to his farm. Jimin swelled with delight but Taehyung didn't look too fond of the idea. Because Jimin was here, he didn't burst out in annoyance towards Yoongi. The fact that Seokjin wasn't aware of Taehyung's behavior and is actually excited to go made it worse.

 

Jimin wasn't sure which would make the situation better for himself: Asking Seokjin to stay so Taehyung would be calm OR let him go with Yoongi so he can spend some time with Taehyung.

 

In the end, he chose to stay quiet. Taehyung didn't say anything either and Seokjin accepts. Yoongi smirks at Taehyung and right before he goes out the door, he winks at Jimin for no particular reason.

 

No one had ever scared and confused Jimin like Yoongi did.

 

About an hour later, Seokjin was already packed up for the night and started to leave after saying goodbye to Jimin. Just a few seconds later, Taehyung runs out after Seokjin like a madman.

 

Jimin gasps and goes after him too. He doesn't need to go far and could see enough from the doorway.

 

Taehyung stopped Seokjin and Jimin bites his lip when he sees their hands together. He couldn't hear what was going on but he could tell that Taehyung is still nervous about Seokjin leaving for the night.

 

Jimin seriously thought that Taehyung was going to bring him back inside the house but Yoongi came back to pick Seokjin up. It was getting dark so the two left rather quickly. Seokjin waves at Taehyung with a soft smile and he waved back half heartedly. Yoongi pissed him off by putting an arm around Seokjin.

 

Taehyung stood there even after Seokjin and Yoongi left the farm. He looked dejected, like he regretted letting Seokjin leave. Jimin didn't want him to be cold, so he brings him back.

 

~~

 

Jimin pretends to fall asleep, slipping into Taehyung's chest. He made sure not to snore so obnoxiously.

 

Taehyung picks him up bridal style and brings him to bed. As he leans down to place him on the mattress gently, Jimin slides his arms around him and pulls him down with him.

 

The bed creaks from the instant weight and Jimin loved the warmth of Taehyung's body. He wished it lasted more than three seconds.

 

Taehyung immediately got up, clearing his throat awkwardly. Jimin was still pretending to be sleeping.

 

Without doing anything else, Taehyung leaves the room, closing the door quietly. Jimin wished that he'd stay.

 

~~

 

The next morning, Jimin woke up very early to make breakfast. As he worked, he hummed softly to himself before remembering that he shouldn't bother Taehyung, so he quiets down. Wondering how Taehyung is doing, Jimin goes to see if he's sleeping okay.

 

But he didn't see him.

 

Jimin goes back into the kitchen and washes his hands. He looked up and saw Taehyung outside through the window.

 

"What is he doing out there so early?"

 

He dried his hands with a towel and replaces his slippers with his shoes.

 

"Taehyung, why are you out here?" Jimin asks when he reached him.

 

The man sees him and smiles, "Don't mind me, Jimin. I'm just waiting."

 

Jimin doesn't even need to ask to know. He's waiting for that Seokjin.

 

"Come inside. I'm going to prepare us breakfast," Jimin smiles tensely. He needs to catch up if he wants Taehyung to like him.

 

"Jimin..." Taehyung looked like he wanted to say something. When Jimin nods, he held back. "Never mind. It's not important."

 

Even though he was slightly curious, Jimin shrugs whatever was on Taehyung's mind off. "If you say so."

 

~~

 

A man, tall and handsome, returns to a place he never wanted to come back to. But because of one person, he vowed to come back and save him.

 

The house is the same, only slightly duller. It held the old memories he had. If it weren't for that someone, he would have been glad to erase those memories. But he didn't because they were special.

 

His shoes tapped on the wooden stairs that lead to the door. He knocked firmly and waits. A part of him felt nervous and also excited. What if the person he wants to see opens this door right at this instant? Will he even remember him? How does he look now?

 

The door opens and his questions were scattered away. The woman looked at him up and down. Once she saw how he looked like, she smiles in approval. "Oh, hello. What brings a young man like you here?"

 

She acted polite and also coquettish, which made him want to leave as soon as he could. The woman also didn't change, he can tell; the only difference was that she had aged.

 

"I'm here to talk about someone," he says with a stoic face.

 

"Come inside, you shouldn't be standing," the woman ushers him inside. Although he didn't want to be back in this awful place, he wanted to see him. Only him.

 

"That's right, I didn't get your name, young man," the woman organizes a few furniture before motioning him to sit.

 

"Jeon Jungkook."

 

"Ah, Mr. Jeon," she says with a sweeter tone. Jungkook knows that she can't even remember him. "How can I assist you?"

 

"Ms. Kim, I heard that there is a man working for you," Jungkook slowly looks in the approximate direction of where the cellar is.

 

Ms. Kim looked confused. "A man?"

 

"Yes. His name is Kim Seokjin," Jungkook says. He wants to see him now.

 

"Oh! Kim Seokjin," she chuckles. Then she stops when she actually processed the name in her head. "Kim Seokjin?!"

 

Jungkook knew that she didn't expect him to come for him. If anything, she must have thought that he came for her, especially with the arrogance that she is notorious for.

 

"Do I need to repeat myself?" Jungkook said through a tense jaw but also a smile.

 

She stuttered when she saw how Jungkook is serious. "U-uh, Seokjin doesn't work here anymore."

 

Jungkook's eyes widened. "What? What happened to him?"

 

He is honestly afraid of the answer because Seokjin doesn't even have a place to go to besides here unless she did something cruel.

 

"He, uh, well, he is married now," she laughs nervously. "Is there a problem?"

 

"To who? Where is he now?" Jungkook stands up, ready to leave already.

 

"Mr. Jeon, if you're looking for him, it's impossible at this point," Ms. Kim says. "He ran away. No one had seen or heard of him for almost a year now."

 

Jungkook must remain calm. "And what would be the reason that made him ran away?"

 

"Oh, that doesn't matter. He's only a slave anywa-"

 

Jungkook raises his voice. "Don't you dare say that about him!"

 

Ms. Kim looked mildly shocked. "Why can't I? I know him more than you do."

 

Jungkook couldn't care about talking to her anymore. He knows that she won't say anything that will make her look bad.

 

"If you're here because you heard about his beauty," Ms. Kim steps closer. It wouldn't surprise Jungkook if many people from far and wide want to see Seokjin. "Maybe I can satisfy you instead? I'm his aunt and share that beauty too."

 

Jungkook has never been this disgusted before. An older woman, pretending to be young, is actually trying to... he doesn't even want to finish the thought.

 

"I'm fine," Jungkook needs to get out. "If Seokjin isn't here, I might as well leave."

 

Ms. Kim sends him to the door. Jungkook reaches the fence when Ms. Kim calls to him flirtatiously.

 

"Goodbye, Jeon Jungkook."

 

That's enough. Jungkook whips around and made sure that he is loud and very clear. 

 

"You are the most pathetic woman I've ever seen. I'm glad you don't remember me and I hope karma will do its job and give you what you deserve, you ."

 

He doesn't wait to see her face, hear what she has to say. He is done with this monster and will never, ever, come back to this hellhole.

 

"Don't worry, hyung. I'll find you."