odds of luck

The Secret Service

She winced at the glaring sunlight.

 

Squinting her eyes as she looked around, there was nothing but a vast space of sand. Camels basked under the sun, cactuses sprawling occasionally in small corners and straw huts standing strongly against the breeze. Still certain that she was still in Morocco, Chorong remembered that it was also a country, home to deserts.

 

It took her days before she could get up and walk out of the cottage that she had been recuperating in. Trying not to stagger forward, Chorong sat down on a bench under a shed. Looking into the blank sheet of sand in front of her, she took a moment to stop and embrace the peace for once.

 

Ever since she worked for The Secret Service, never once did she take a break. Always on the run and taking missions, she was missing out the most important thing in life.

 

Happiness.

 

Memories flashed back to the time she argued with Eunji and forced her to make a decision. Her heart ached. She shouldn’t have done that. Chorong was in no position to change someone’s life just because of a set of rules and policies written on pen and paper.

 

Life doesn’t work that way.

 

“Feeling better?”

 

Chorong nodded with a smile, turning to see a woman comfortably dressed in a white, oversized dress.

 

“I wasn’t expecting to see you here, Sunny unnie.”

 

“Well, the five of us wanted some peace away from Seoul. You know how we retired quite some years back but the city is a bit noisy and suffocating. Decided to travel around the world and now here we are, in the deserts of Morocco.” She hummed happily and turned to Chorong. “And what about you? Did you find a special someone yet?” She asked with a giggle.

 

“Too busy for that, unnie.”

 

“That’s true.” Sunny sighed, taking a bite out of her apple as a crunch followed. “I heard what happened. Or rather, it was all over the news. The world’s gone to hell huh?”

 

“I need to head back.”

 

“You do. But don’t rush it. Take care of yourself first.” Sunny said, casually ruffling the girl’s hair.

 

“You’ve always been a workaholic, taking duty first before your own life. But sometimes, you need to stop and see the world for a bit. Look at the people around you, feel their emotions, and let them connect to you.” She gently poked Chorong’s chest. “Remember this Chorong-ah. Before we vowed our oath at the ceremony, we were once humans who had a life. Don’t forget who you were in the beginning.”

 

Chorong took in Sunny’s advice deep into her heart. She respected her greatly and her years of experience proved that.

 

Perhaps, she is right.

 

“Its super hot! Who the hell decided that we visited Morocco again?” Yuri complained.

 

“Um, you?” Hyoyeon scoffed as the two bickered.

 

“Oh, hey! You guys are back!” Sunny waved at them.

 

“They are still the same.” Chorong smiled, watching them from afar.

 

“Lunch is ready. Head on in.” Yoona said, coming out of the cottage.

 

In front of former Secret Service agents whom she had respected greatly, Chorong refused to eat until someone else did.

 

“Oh dear, just eat Chorong-ah! Don’t wait for us!” Sunny said, picking up a piece of chicken and placing it onto her plate. “They’ll take awhile since they need their alcohol fix.” Sunny whispered, glancing at the kitchen where Hyoyeon and Yuri were arguing which wine to use.

 

“Anyways, what’s the plan now Miss Taeyeon unnie?” Yoona hummed, putting a slice of meat into .

 

“Don’t tell me…Seoul?” Yuri exasperated, popping her head out from the kitchen.

 

Taeyeon chuckled. “Chorong, you know where their base is located right?”

                                    

“Y-Yes. It’s at Iceland, Isafjordur.”

 

“Since you guys complained that it’s too hot in Morocco, let’s freeze to death in Iceland.” Taeyeon announced, rising her wine glass in the air. “We’re back in business girls!”

 

“Are you serious?!” Hyoyeon gasped, halting her wine-fight with Yuri. The two friends exchanged glances and smirked. They were actually excited.

 

“I think I might’ve gotten a little rusty though. Haven’t punch someone in ages.” Sunny groaned, cracking her neck.

 

“Unnies…” Chorong looked at everyone with wide eyes. She was thankful and touched, knowing that with them back into the team, victory will soon be knocking on the door.

 

“Only this time.” Taeyeon emphasized carefully.

 

“After this, we are just gonna chill and do whatever the we want!” She laughed, taking a sip of her wine. “Don’t worry Chorong-ah. We’re doing this because this whatever Blue something is making the world so dangerous that we can’t even enjoy our ing vacation! So, as revenge, we’ll drop by and say hello.” She smiled. “You don’t mind us joining right?”

 

“O-Of course…it’s an honour to work with you again…” Chorong bowed nervously.

 

“Aw, look at her. You can save the formalities for later. I think you’ll meet some of your members there. A friend I know told me that they found out about Iceland too. Sounds like a good plan right?” Taeyeon winked.

 

“I wonder which gun I should use…” Sunny pondered, standing up as she took out a bunch of handguns from her suitcase, placing it onto the table.

 

“Hey, do you still have that good old wine cork thing that becomes a ing grenade?” Yuri asked.

 

“Oh god I heard my bones crack. I’m getting old…” Taeyeon groaned after stretching herself.

 

Chorong chuckled, somewhat relieved yet amazed at how her seniors have not change at all.

 

 

---

 

 

Iceland, Isafjordur.

 

Under a clear blue sky, it was perfect to embrace the beautiful view. But in freezing weather, probably not.

 

Rappels and ropes were ledged onto the snowy mountains. Stabbing their axes into the ice as it crackled, they took each step slowly and carefully, climbing to the top. White snow would trickle and coat themselves onto their fur coats and sleeves, refusing to let go. The cold breeze would throw a slap across their faces, greeting them aggressively as they shivered in the cold.

 

But this should be nothing too hard. After all, The Secret Service agents were trained to be able in any environment.

 

“I gotcha.” Matthew grunted, reaching the top first and helping his other team members up. He was more a muscle man, proud of his chocolate abs but also had a big heart.

 

Holding onto the walkie talkie as it buzzed, the leader of this team sent an update to their base. “Reached the top. Will proceed accordingly. Wait for the signal, over.” Minho reported.

 

“Noted, Team A. Proceed accordingly.”

 

Tucking the walkie talkie back into his small pouch, the leader took a moment to enjoy the pristine white scenery surrounding him. Living a life where death is always knocking on his door, he hoped that there will come a time where he can visit this place again for vacation.

 

“Alright everyone, you know the drill.” He handed out explosives and dynamites to each member. “Once all is set, I’ll send the signal and helicopters will be ready to get us out of here.”

 

The members nodded, listening to the short briefing as they got their bearings.

 

“I never thought we’d be doing a mission together.” Amber said positively, looking at the familiar faces. It made her feel happy and motivated despite the events that happened.

 

Bomi, Matthew, Taeyong, Baekho and Nana.

 

It feels nostalgic to see them again.

 

“Then, let’s do a good job.” Bomi smiled, adjusting the rifle on her shoulder as she followed Minho.

 

As much as she liked being reunited with her friends, there was a bitter feeling inside. Something was missing and it didn’t make her comfortable. Bomi had no idea that she had grown a liking to her team.

 

She missed the tantrums that hot-headed Eunji would throw, the quiet Naeun who said little things, Namjoo and Hayoung who would exchange jokes and Chorong.

 

Chorong.

 

Her heart hurt.

 

She shouldn’t be thinking about her right now. Even though she is gone, Bomi was sure that she was a great leader. Bomi knew that Chorong kept a close eye on her, ensuring that she was fitting in and adapting well.

 

But that’s all in the past. Her “family” is now separated and all she can do is pray for their safety.

 

Chorong’s sudden death had forced Mr. Lee no other choice but to split the Seoul team. They were dispatched into different teams assigned to perform different missions, aimed to bring The Blue Nation down. There was no time to find a replacement and certainly no one who would be as good as Park Chorong.

 

“There’s the building. Damn, it’s massive.” Matthew pointed at the huge stone fortress, comfortably seated on top of a snowy hill. Surrounded with large, towering stone walls with guard posts at every corner, it was like a castle brought from a medieval story book. As the flag of The Blue Nation draped over the entrance with pride, it was an obvious warning that they were stepping into their territory.

 

“Let’s split into groups of two and meet in the centre, where the courtyard is.” Minho informed, looking at the miniature glass screen that displayed the layout of the fortress. “Good luck.” He said, hoping that he would see the same exact number of members in the next hour.

 

 

---

 

 

Croatia, Rijeka.

 

Red bricks and gray stones illuminated every path they walked on. Narrow streets packed with crowds as they were browsing through the market, looking for the perfect item.

 

Blending among the crowd as they dressed like normal civilians, the agents were on the look out. Their eyes scanning each face and attire, informed that a well-known scientist would be here.

 

B.I.

 

Formerly a government servant who was the genius behind various drugs that helped the medicine and science industries was gaining a good reputation for himself. Until one day, he was accused of inventing a drug meant to kill. Spending a few years in prison, he went into hiding after his release. It was no surprise that he was now a member of The Blue Nation. Word got out from Mr. Lee’s intel that he is working on a powerful, incurable virus that is capable of eliminating the whole human population.

 

The radio buzzed.

 

“See anything?”

 

“There’s a guy in a Hawaiian shirt at the fruit section. That might be him. Dragon tattoo on his elbow and earrings, the data matches.” Eunji carefully moved across, whispering into the mic hidden inside her shirt.

 

“Okay, get ready.” Siwon, the team leader responded, sending hand signals to the other members who were dispersed in the crowd.

 

“On your right. He’s moving away.” Naeun said.

 

Irene and Wendy squeezed out of the crowd and followed behind. As he turned around, the two acted like a lesbian couple, pretending to elope and quickly eliminating suspicion.

 

“Be prepared. I think he’s luring us in.” Siwon said as the members regrouped, following him into an alleyway. As expected, it was a trap. But Siwon came prepared. Before taking another step in, the leader halted s and sneakily threw an eraser grenade in.

 

The enemies hiding were confused, looking down at the harmless eraser rolling towards them as an explosion shot through the sky. The crowd shrieked by the sudden vibration and chaos, civilians ran in all directions as the agents coughed from the smoke.

 

“After him!” Siwon ordered, watching the man in the Hawaiian shirt running away.

 

Pushing through the crowd as they vaulted over crates and fences that collapsed over, they reached a cross section and had no choice but to split ways. Eunji and Naeun went together to the right side, entering deeper into the marketplace where the road was narrower and tighter.

 

“There!” Eunji shouted.

 

Thanks to her sharp eyes, they noticed the man walking casually in the crowd, as if trying to blend in. The girl dashed with all her might, jumping over an overturned table and pinning him to the ground.

 

“Got you!” The agent said, holding onto his collar as she placed a hidden knife under his chin.

 

“More like, I got you, stupid rat.” The man smirked as Eunji suddenly felt a sharp pain from behind. As she looked down her torso, a thin needle poked out of her shirt.

 

“T-This-! ”

 

It took immediate effect. She could feel numbness circulating her entire body and lost control of her movement. Her knife dropped to the floor as she felt helpless, collapsing onto the ground.

 

“Eunji!” Naeun shouted as she swiftly took out the handgun strapped onto her belt and aimed. But she was a second too late. A needle dart shot through her neck, immediately causing the girl to collapse as well.

 

The two agents stared at each other helplessly, unable to move. Life flashed before their eyes as there was a hint of regret in their hearts. If only they knew that death was near, the couple would have cherished their love more.

 

 

---

 

 

Israel, Negev.

 

Driving through the desert in a truck, dressed in tank tops, jeans and sunglasses as they battled the scorching heat, the only all-woman team were tasked to find and destroy the Blue Nations weapons warehouse. According Mr. Lee’s intel, Song Mino is the group’s supplier and the one responsible for strengthening The Blue Nation’s firepower.

 

“I just love how we have the big guns at the back!” Sooyoung said excitedly. She was getting bored of having to use “small guns and tools” to fight. It just wasn’t fun.

 

“That’s the place.” Seulgi pointed, parking the truck on top of a sandy hill.

 

“I’m not surprised. It’s heavily guarded as usual.” Namjoo pulled out her binoculars. “But that’s where I, the great sniper come in.” She smirked confidently, taking out the newly finished sniper that Hayoung built for her.

 

“Pfft, she calls that her baby.” Hayoung scoffed. “So what’s the plan?”

 

“Honestly, this place is in the middle of nowhere. It’s a ing desert, it’s a flat piece of cracked land and dunes.” Sooyoung said, sending subtle messages that she wanted to make some noise with her big guns.

 

“Shall we just go all out?” Seulgi sighed, jumping to the back of the truck as she took an AK-47 rifle out. “Who’s good at driving fast?”

 

Everything was all quiet at the warehouse as men took turns patrolling, chatting away as they went. Speaking in their own language, they loaded weapon crates onto trucks that would soon be delivered to The Blue Nation. As a man casually stood and lit a cigarette, a truck suddenly sped through from the dunes, sand crystals flying from behind as it crashed straight into him.

 

With no mercy, the truck reversed, causing him to be dragged off like a ragdoll as it changed direction. Skidding crazily as the engine roared, it steered into the warehouse hard and slammed into the walls. The only one capable of such crazy driving skills was none other than agent Oh Hayoung, the girl who had no license.

 

Men began shooting at the truck but their bullets could not penetrate through it’s bulletproof armor. Instead, they were surprised by the melody of a machine gun, killing all of them in a second. As the truck acted as a barrier in front of the warehouse entrance, the agents took cover and shot down incoming enemies.

 

Seulgi and Sooyoung took the front while Namjoo stayed at the back of the truck with her new sniper rifle. Hayoung on the other hand had no experience in fighting thus she was tasked in planting explosives all over the warehouse. While crouching and crawling in the middle of the gunfight, she would peek into the crates and jot down the types of weapons they had, remembering certain names and codes for future reference.

 

“Okay, all planted!” Hayoung shouted, heading back onto the wheel and ducking her head as bullets shot through the window. “Get in before I lose my head!”

 

The female agents jumped in. The moment Sooyoung shouted “Drive!”, the inexperienced driver pulled the handbrake down and reversed aggressively. Pushing the men far as they groaned, the truck viciously turned a corner and sped out, escaping through the dunes.

 

“Now!” Sooyoung shouted to which Hayoung pressed the button that she clutched tightly in her left palm, causing the warehouse to explode in flames.

 

“We did it!” Namjoo yelled in victory as the agents cheered.

 

Once they were far, Seulgi climbed over to the front. “Okay, stop the car. I’m taking over.” she ordered, feeling sick as she was unable to bear Hayoung’s driving anymore.

 

The agents were confident and felt that this mission was far too easy. After reporting of their success to base, they were to return to Seoul immediately. As their truck drove deeper into the desert, they were beginning to get lost.

 

“Crap, is this the right way?” Seulgi became worried as they lost their GPS signal.

 

“Hey, you’ve got to be kidding me…” Sooyoung asked, hitting the phone, hoping that it was just an error.

 

“Guys…we’ve got company…” Namjoo said as the truck came to a halt.

 

A whole army blocked their path but they were not The Blue Nation’s people. It appeared to be a totally different group. Remembering the briefing they had on Israel, the agents were informed that there was an ongoing war between Israel and a group of rebels. Perhaps, this was what they were talking about.

 

“No, don’t take out your weapon.” Seulgi ordered to which Sooyoung clicked her tongue, putting her rifle back.

 

“Anyone knows how to speak Arabic or something?” Namjoo asked nervously but the all members shook their head.

 

“We can use Google Translate.” Hayoung said innocently.

 

“Yeah, sure. If there’s wifi and signal, dumbo.” Sooyoung answered sarcastically.

 

“Really helpful guys, really.” Namjoo sighed. “What are we going to do now?” The men were approaching them carefully, armed and had a curious expression written over their faces.

---

 

 

The former retired agents did things their way.

 

By strapping a micro camera onto a trained bird, the layout of the fortress was studied and they found a small cavern, hidden away from sight. With over 25 years of experience, they were indeed a step ahead of others.

 

“Do you hear that? Guess the battle has started.” Taeyeon whispered as the ground rumbled, a result of explosives and constant gunfire that echoed in the tight tunnel. The women squeezed through the small opening, crawling as they reached an open cave.

 

“The Secret Service got pretty shabby since we left.” Hyoyeon joked, shining the flashlight around to find an opening. “Hey, help me with this.” She held onto a rusted sewer gate.

 

“One, two, three!” With the help of Yuri and Yoona, the gate pushed open, revealing a ladder to the top. “Who wants to go first?” She looked at everyone in which they responded, “You.”

 

A stinky odor wafted through the vent and no one dared to be the first to touch the moldy metal bars. The lady rolled her eyes, shrugged and climbed up first.

 

“How is it looking? Coast clear?” Sunny asked, looking up.

 

“Totally. Here, a gift!” Yuri said, throwing a dead body down the cellar.

 

“Gross! What the hell are you doing?!” Sunny yelled.

 

“There she goes showing off.” Hyoyeon scoffed in a laughter as she climbed up.

 

“They are so noisy aren’t right?” Yoona turned to Chorong and helped her up.

 

The girl could only chuckle, impressed at how her seniors were just cool with everything. There was not a single shot of fear in their eyes. They were b with confidence.

It was certainly a pity that these powerful former agents no longer worked at The Secret Service.

 

Once everyone got up, all around were large machines, wires and fans that circulated the area, ensuring that electricity was running. The power room. One switch and they could turn the entire fortress into darkness, and that was exactly what they were going for. An attack that will take everyone by surprise.

 

“Shall we surprise them?” Yuri smirked, taking out a simple revolver out of her belt as she looked out of the netted window, witnessing the war outside.

 

“When was the last time we competed to see how many enemies we could kill?” Hyoyeon asked with excitement.

 

“I’ll join this time. Losers gonna pay the whole flight trip back.” Yoona smiled as the three made a bet.

 

“Do what you have to do Chorong-ah. We’ll be right behind you.” Taeyeon said with a comforting tone, arming herself with a simple revolver.

 

Chorong nodded, thankful to her seniors who saved her life and were going along with this mission together. Armed with a handgun, the group counted to three and switched the lights off.

 

Darkness shrouded the entire compound, enemies became confused but the firing continued. The Secret Service agents were prepared and quickly put their night googles on, taking an advantage as enemies were cleared quicker at the courtyard.

 

Chorong sneaked past and through the pillars, running to the other side to regroup with the team. She could hear Bomi shouting, her grunts and laughter were too obvious.

 

Two minutes.

 

All it took was two minutes for the whole courtyard to be cleared of enemies. Taeyeon who watched from the power room, switched the lights back on as bodies of their enemies scattered the area.

 

The agents aimed their guns at Chorong but immediately lowered their fire.

 

“C-Chorong unnie?!”

 

Bomi gasped, dropping her gun as she ran straight into her arms. Surprised by a sudden hug, Chorong fell over.

 

“Y-You’re alive! I knew it! You wouldn’t die so easily!”

 

“You’re su-ffocating- ack- me!”

 

“Ah! Sorry!”

 

Bomi quickly jumped off, raising her head to see five other women approaching her. They were unlike others. Emitting a powerful, intimidating aura, the girl slowly reached for the pistol strapped to her belt.

 

“They are not our enemies Bomi.” Minho ordered, to which the girl lowered her fire.

 

Their leader exchanged a handshake with Taeyeon as he returned with a smile.

 

“Thank you for helping us out noona.”

 

“Just this once. So, what’s your plan?”

 

 

--

 

A/N: Blue Nations' gonna be so screwed now that legendary agents are back in action! But what will happen to Hajoo and 2eun? The Seoul team who are seperated with each other are now facing their own struggles!