painful decisions

The Secret Service

“You should’ve been more careful. When you two were in the ballroom back then, we heard everything from the radio. I am not going to blame you because it is not your fault that we failed our mission. The responsibility is mine. But, you have seen that by being in love, you get distracted from your duties as a Secret Service agent.”

 

Eunji’s heart fell, hearing her leader’s words.

 

But she had a feeling that sooner or later, she would have to face this wall in front of her. She wasn’t scared of anything, not even Chorong. But she was scared of having her relationship peeled and exposed easily like that.

 

Her biggest fear was having to lose the one she loves the most.

 

“I understand that unnie, but I promise that I won’t make the same mistakes.” She pleaded. “Have you ever fallen in love before? Can’t you understand that what you’re about to do, wouldn’t just hurt me, but Naeun as well?”

 

Chorong sighed, she expected her member to behave like that. While she could fight back and ramble all sorts of other reasons, she has learnt to hold in and go straight to the point.

 

“I am going to give you a choice.” She said sternly.

 

 

---

 

 

All is quiet at the headquarters.

 

Bomi took a nap after getting a rough beating from her hot-headed member, Naeun stayed in the corner as she read a book while Namjoo helped Hayoung on building a new weapon. The firearms expert had insisted that Namjoo needed a new sniper rifle as she claimed that it was “old” and “outdated”.

 

“Look, it gets jammed here halfway. Imagine if this happened while on mission. You wouldn’t be able to get your shots right.” Hayoung explained as her hands were busy fiddling with the gears.

 

“Okay Miss Genius.” Namjoo scoffed, smiling at her overconfident member. “Hey, someone’s calling you.” She said, handing Hayoung’s phone over that was buzzing away.

 

“Hello? Oh, Sooyoung! What’s up?” Hayoung greeted happily, her increased pitch waking Bomi up from her nap. “You managed to catch a member from Blue Nation? Awesome! Okay, I see. I’ll come right over soon. You informed my leader already? As expected! See you there!”

 

“So, I’m guessing we have work to do.” Namjoo hummed.

 

“Yup.” Hayoung nodded. “They told Chorong unnie already so you and me are heading to Daegu headquarters right now.”

 

“What about us?” Bomi yawned, rubbing her eyes as she overheard the conversation.

 

“We’re lucky. Just stay here and rest while these two do the dirty job.” Naeun chuckled, to which Hayoung nudged her elbow.

 

“Excuse me, I’d rather be busy doing something than lazing around like you.”

 

“Oh, shut up.” Naeun giggled, playfully kicking Hayoung as the two members gathered their things and left.

 

Silence continued now that it was just Bomi and Naeun left. Alone together, Bomi couldn’t help but to be disturbed by the fight she had with Eunji earlier.

 

“Hey, Naeun.”

 

“Yes?”

 

“Is it against the rules to date someone in the same team?”

 

“…Why are you asking that?”

 

“Don’t tell Eunji this but like, she hit me because I told her that you were really pretty.” Bomi laughed awkwardly, spilling the beans. “Well, there were more reasons why she hit me. But I think saying that triggered the punch on my face.”

 

“Gosh, I’m so sorry about that.” Naeun said with an apologetic expression as she thought about heading out to find her girlfriend. “Eunji unnie can be a firehead at times, but she’s a good person.”

 

“It’s all good. Don’t worry about it.” Bomi said with assurance. “I hope you two experience happiness for a long time.”

 

“But…why did you do that? It seemed like you did it on purpose…”

 

Bomi smirked. “Well…”

 

 

 

---

 

 

 

Chorong walked alone in the park, heading back to the headquarters.

 

She sighed, after a much heated conversation with her member, Eunji. It was always her that gave her so much trouble yet, she couldn’t bear to hate her.

 

Hearing the buzz of her phone in her pocket, Chorong received a message from the secretary, informing her that Mr. Lee would like to speak with her personally.

 

With that, she changed her route and arrived at the Secret Service headquarters. There was no need to speak to the receptionist as she was well-known in the team and aware that the boss is expecting her. Taking a deep breath, Chorong knocked on the door twice before she was allowed entry.

 

“Hello Chorong-ssi. I know that we spoke earlier this morning. But I’ve received an intel report just now and I was thinking that you would be the most suitable for this mission.”

 

“I assume that this is a solo mission?”

 

“That is correct.” Mr. Lee nodded as he handed her a brown file, containing all the relevant documents. “You must not inform any of your members about this mission. I trust in you, Chorong. You are the only one who can do it.” He said with hopeful eyes.

 

The leader bowed. “I will not disappoint you, Mr. Lee.”

 

With another weight of responsibility on her shoulders, Chorong left the room and sighed once again. She was always busy and with more priorities, it was safe to say that she was indeed a workaholic.

 

There was never a time she had lived a normal life or took a break. But she didn’t mind as long as it gave her something to do.

 

 

 

---

 

 

Straying away from the headquarters, Eunji went to her local gym and headed straight into the boxing ring as she kept punching the bag.

 

Releasing every ounce of her frustration and anger inside, it was not enough. After hearing the choices that Chorong had given her, she was at a standstill with nowhere to run. She hated this, but it was her fault in the beginning. She should’ve known the consequences well enough.

 

Noticing a flood of unread messages from her girlfriend, Eunji flipped her phone to face the floor as she continued to punch away. All alone in the boxing ring, she needed her own moment.

 

“Dammit!”

 

She cursed, sending one last punch to the dummy as she no longer had energy to continued. Her eyes glanced at the clock hanging on the opposite side.

 

7pm.

 

Taking a towel out of her bag and hanging it around her shoulder, Eunji paced nervously around the gym, not sure where she should go.

 

“Why did you not answer my messages?”

 

The girl froze upon hearing that familiar, concerned tone of voice. It was Naeun. She should’ve known. They have been dating for years that it was no surprise that she would figure out her hiding place.

 

But instead of greeting her, Eunji turned around and said nothing.

 

“Did something happen? Reply me, Jung Eunji.” Naeun noticed the sudden change of behavior. She wasn’t used to her girlfriend acting cold towards her. Moving closer, she tried to hold her hand but instead, Eunji hesitantly moved hers away.

 

“Let’s go somewhere else and talk.”

 

“There’s no need.” Eunji mumbled, breathing a heavy sigh. “Let’s break up.”

 

“W-What are you saying Eunji?”

 

“I said, let’s break up.”

 

“You’re not making any sense-! “

 

“I don’t.” Eunji finally turned around to face her girlfriend, her eyes slowly turning watery. “But I don’t have a choice. We’ve been caught, Naeun. And it’s my fault. I knew this from the beginning but we both decided on this right?”

 

“…” Naeun could not say anything. Her eyes lost it’s light.

 

“I’m sorry. I need time to think this through. Please don’t come after me. I’ll be back.” Eunji quickly walked away, not even glancing one last look at her girlfriend as she left the gym.

 

From walking, Eunji began to run. She didn’t know where to go. A street to another, the girl soon found herself at the train station. Walking up to the counter, she paid for a one-way ticket to Busan and headed to the platform.

 

As the train halted in it’s tracks, Eunji stepped in and easily found an empty seat. At this late hour, there were lesser passengers meaning a perfect place in silence.

 

Throughout the two hours, she quietly stared out of the window, sceneries flashing across her eyes. Quiet sighs and angry clicks of her tongue escaped , clenching her fist tightly as she would slam it onto the window, her anger easily unleashing itself.

 

The hot-headed agent who always remained strong, broke down. Tears of frustration flowed down her cheeks as she heaved, the pain in her heart expanding. It hurt, a whole lot.

 

Wounds are nothing, but hurting the one she loved so much, did.

 

 

 

---

 

Daegu headquarters.

 

After given a brief welcome, Namjoo and Hayoung were lead into the interrogation room with Sooyoung where a member of the Blue Nation was kept. Cuffs on his wrist, strapped to his seat as he kept his mouth shut, the man refused to say a single word.

 

“According to our records, he’s Kim Jaejoong. He used to be a worker for a construction site but our team managed to catch him after it turns out that he was handling inside jobs related to Blue Nation.” Sooyoung explained, glancing at Jaejoong who stared into blank space. “We tried everything but it was to no avail. Harming him would do us no good. With the events that happened, he probably wouldn’t mind dying and we won’t be able to get any information from him.”

 

“So that’s where I come in huh?” Hayoung smirked, crossing her arms as she adjusted her glasses. She had an idea and was confident to get Jaejoong to speak.

 

As the three returned back to meeting room with members of the Daegu team, they were briefed of their mission. As the screen flashed with a slideshow, Namjoo and Hayoung listened to Irene’s briefing as they nodded, taking notes.

 

“You are the only one in the whole team who is capable of doing this, Hayoung-ssi.” Irene said, turning to look at the girl with high hopes. “We believe in you. How many people do you need for this? We will provide everything for the journey.”

 

“I think a four-man team would be enough. Since we’re going to the jungle, maybe a small team to set up a HQ camp so that I can start working on it once we find it.” Hayoung replied, glancing at Namjoo who looked on, proudly. “Namjoo, Sooyoung and Seulgi. You three are coming with me.”

 

“Alright. I’ll have a small team to set up a nearby camp as promised. The four of you are to leave for Sumatra tomorrow. Good luck. You are all dismissed.”

 

As members slowly left the meeting room one by one, Hayoung stayed behind and kept looking at her laptop.

 

Now with a responsibility on her shoulders, this was the first time she was tasked as the leader of a mission. She was always someone who followed orders and to be the one doing that job now, it was burdensome.

 

In order to force Jaejoong to speak, a specific drug will be produced.

 

Using Hayoung’s knowledge in both medical, technology and science fields, the team are required to travel to the Sumatra rainforest in search for a rare plant that is capable of producing a sap. Called the Esophesis, it can only be found in the deepest and most dangerous parts of the forest.

 

By using the sap from the Esophesis, a possible drug can be created, causing one to feel extreme pain upon consumption. However, it does not actually harm the person internally. It produces an illusionary pain which is the perfect trick to get Jaejoong to explain himself.

 

“It’s okay Hayoung. You have me.” Namjoo reassured the girl, noticing the tension from her eyes.

 

“I just hope we can find it quickly. I hate mosquitos.”

 

“Me too. I would actually shoot a mosquito.” Namjoo joked.

 

“Oh really? Mosquitos are really damn small, how are you going to shoot it? Right, you are our best sharpshooter. Why should I even be worrying?” Hayoung laughed.

 

As long as she was with Namjoo, Hayoung was able to be confident and lead the mission well.

 

---

 

 

 

Accidentally snoozing off again due to jet lag, Bomi woke up to an empty headquarters. She walked out of the basement, wandered around the flower shop, and headed outside, there was no one in sight. With the sun settled and skies growing dark, the girl was amazed as how she spend the whole day sleeping away.

 

Returning back as she lounged on the sofa, she searched through the cupboards and wondered if there was anything to eat. It was only then, her ears perked at the sound of the bell ringing as she headed out.

 

“You’re still here?” Chorong asked, surprised.

 

“I mean, where else can I go?”

 

“You could go home.”

 

“Oh… I could do that?”

 

“Yeah.” Chorong chuckled, finding the question silly. “As long as you don’t reveal your identity as a Secret Service agent, you can go anywhere really. You don’t have to stay in the headquarters all the time.”

 

“No one told me that…” Bomi pouted, feeling like she was fooled the whole time. But honestly, she’s just stupid sometimes. The girl observed Chorong who was busy packing things and placing some weapons inside, checking if they had ammo and making sure they were in good condition.

 

“Are you going somewhere? On a mission perhaps?”

 

“I just have something important to do. I was informed that Namjoo and Hayoung were personally asked to help Daegu team with their own mission. So in the meantime, the three of you can just relax until Mr. Lee informs us of another mission.”

 

“But what can I do while waiting?”

 

“Train.” Chorong said. “You don’t always have to rely on orders, Bomi. Do what you believe is right for the team. In my opinion, I would suggest that you train so that you are stronger and prepared for the missions yet to come.”

 

“Good point. It’s just that it’s really surreal that I’m an agent of The Secret Service and all. Feels like a dream.”

 

“Well, we all do at one point. All recruits experience that…before they realize the harsh realities of this job.” Chorong mumbled.

 

“What?”

 

“Nothing.” The leader smiled, somewhat relived that she didn’t hear her words. “Anyways, I’ll be back soon.”

 

“Stay safe, unnie.”

 

“I will.”

---

 

 

 

Wandering around the streets fully awake, Bomi bought a few snacks at night street vendors and she munched away. For a moment, she missed living normally. She would visit the internet café and spend a couple hours playing some video games. By the time it was over, midnight has arrived.

 

“I’m an idiot for sleeping through the day. Now, what am I supposed to do now?” Bomi sighed, talking to herself. She eventually decided to walk back to the flower shop, wanting to familiarize herself with the weapons. As she entered, she could hear someone sobbing quietly behind the counter.

 

Turns out, it is Naeun.

 

The girl didn’t expect Bomi to be here. Flustered, she tried to wipe away her tears and avoided eye contact with her.

 

“Hey, it’s okay.” Bomi said in a gentle tone, kneeling down as she held onto her shoulder. “Cry here. You’re be alright.” She said, sitting on the floor with her legs crossed, offering her shoulder for Naeun. To her surprise, Naeun leaned in and sobbed, tears flowing down her cheeks as she let everything out.

 

The girl didn’t even have time to mourn for her father’s death. And now, the person she loved the most left her. It was the worst feeling to have and experience.

 

But Naeun was thankful that Bomi didn’t ask her anything. She simply sat there and lent her shoulder to cry on.

 

For some reason, she felt comfortable around Bomi. Even though they barely knew each other, she felt safe. Unlike Eunji, Naeun walked on thin ice, hoping to never irritate the flame in her girlfriend.

 

Now that she thought about it, perhaps having a hot-headed girlfriend probably wasn’t a good idea. There were so many moments the two got into arguments because of their differences.

 

Eunji’s hot temperament and Naeun’s conflict-averse style, it was fire against water. Yet, opposites attract and when they do, the combination of their different personalities form a rare bond of love that is difficult to find elsewhere.  

 

“I must be crazy.” Naeun mumbled.

 

“What is?”

 

“I was just thinking how maybe it was better to date someone else and not Eunji.”

 

“Ah…so that’s what happened…”

 

“But I know I can’t.” Naeun rubbed her eyes. “Eunji is…different.”

 

“Eunji’s going to be cursed for letting a beautiful girl like you cry. Look what she has done! You look ugly with these tears now!” Bomi joked, trying to lighten up the mood.

 

“That’s…not funny…”

 

“Sorry, I’ll shut up.” The agent cleared , sitting up straight as she leaned her back against the wall.

 

“Can I sleep on your shoulder too?”

 

“Yeah, sure. Go ahead. I’ll be here all day.”

 

“Thank you, Bomi.”

 

 

--

 

A/N: This chapter is a little slower paced compared to the beginning but let's get this straight: 2eun turning tragic (Chorong why did you do that sdfsdf), and now Bona shows up...HMM and the leader gone on a secretive mission...what's happening?