confession

The Secret Service

“Bomi…”

 

The drug that Choi Seunghyun had stung to her neck earlier was spreading through her body slowly. It wouldn’t take long before she could no longer control her own actions through conscious. But here she was, her hand pushing the heel of the blade deeper into the wound. Half of her mind wanted Bomi to escape before she did something dangerous. The other half, had the intention of killing her.

 

“Damn, this hurt!” The agent yelped, clutching tightly onto the blade that Chorong held onto. She cupped her hands over Chorong’s, feeling her tremble and fear.

 

But to Bomi, she wasn’t scared of death. In fact, it felt even better to die in front of the person whom she admired and loved. “This pain is nothing compared to you rejecting me.” She tried to form a smile, but only did it halfway.

 

“Stop being stupid Bomi…I will-really kill you…don’t you understand the dire situation we’re in right now?!” Chorong was panicking for the first time in a long time. A small tear rolling down her cheek. Bomi’s sudden confession was causing a big distraction to her calm thoughts which she always had and she had no idea what to do with these overwhelming emotions inside.

 

“Yeah, I’m stupid. That’s just who I am.” The agent nodded, closing her eyes as she took a deep breath. “I’m sorry unnie. This is going to hurt even more.” She mumbled, her hands sneakily reaching for something in her pocket.

 

As the two agents followed Jennie and Lisa up the stairs and into the office, Bomi wandered off for a moment, searching the other rooms.

 

There were documents scattered everywhere. Briefly scanning through, she saw a report about a drug called HZO1, the side effects shown by its victims and the method of stopping it. A special sedative. There was a box obviously labelled “SEDATIVES” on the desk, but inside was one, mere syringe and an unopened needle left. By instinct, Bomi took it and carefully hid it in her pocket, thinking that she might need it later.

 

“Bomi? What are you doing?”

 

“Oh-! Nothing. Let’s go.” The girl quickly got out of the room, following the girls into the office room.

 

The agent was positive that Choi Seunghyun had injected Chorong with “HZO1”, as a means to show off his new weapon to the Secret Service. But he was careless for, his men left an antidote lying around.

 

“AHHHH!!!” Chorong screamed, feeling another sharp prick on her neck as Bomi stabbed the syringe in.

 

The agent used all of her remaining strength to push Chorong forward, pinning herself with her whole body. She winced at the pain from her legs but Bomi held on. As much as she hated to hear Chorong’s screams of pain, it would soon turn into silent cries, calmer breaths and soon, her trembles would come to a halt. The leader’s vision was beginning to clear. The strings controlling her body were all cut away.

 

Regaining her sense, Chorong immediately removed her hands from the blade, no longer having the intention to kill. With that, Bomi smiled in relief as she finally collapsed, exerting all of her remaining stamina. Lying her body sideways as her muscles relaxed, it caused her wound to open more, blood soaking through her shirt.

 

“Bomi!” She gasped. “Bomi!” The leader pulled the girl into her arms, quickly applying pressure on her wound to stop the bleeding.

 

Chorong, who always remained strong and tough on the outside, broke down in tears. But she had to keep her emotions intact. The best option right now is to escape the island.

 

“W-What the hell happened?!”

 

A gasp broke the silence in the courtyard, members immediately rushing to Chorong’s side as they heard everything through the radio. Surprising to see Bomi in such a state, what shocked them more was their leader in tears.

 

“Call the chopper.” Chorong said. “Now!” She yelled.

 

---

 

She had to ignore these emotions for one moment, for she must remember that duty comes first. Reporting to Mr. Lee is her first priority.

 

Bomi stayed behind in Italy for a few days as nurses tended to her injuries before being transferred to her homeland, Seoul. Hayoung locked herself in the lab, analyzing the samples she collected and was determined to find more behind Blue Nation’s scientific weapon, HZO1. Eunji, Naeun and Namjoo worked collectively with the Daegu team, travelling back and forth to the island, making sure that every single thing related to the Blue Nation was destroyed.

 

There was no time to rest.

 

With such important clues in their hands and time ticking away, The Secret Service had to work fast, especially Choi Seunghyun’s warning and his attempt to attack the world conference where global leaders would be attending with the presence of the media.

 

“This is our only chance to bring him down.” Taeyeon said, tapping her rod onto the screen showing the blueprint of the conference hall. It was to be held in London, right next to the Big Ben. “It is worth to bring all of our best-abled agents. Choi Seunghyun’s army is small in number. Through my experience, he likes to do a show by himself.” The lady tried her best to convince Mr. Lee who listened intently.

 

“Very well.” He sighed, thinking deeply. “We still have three months. It isn’t a lot of time but I believe there is a weakness he may have left behind.” Clasping his hands together, the man leaned forward. “I will allow you to take the lead for this mission, Taeyeon. But I suggest that you work closely with Hayoung. That smart kid seems to be getting something.”

 

“Understood. Thank you for believing in me, sir.” The lady bowed.

 

Bomi never thought that the hospital would become her second home. It wasn’t even months since she was there after breaking her leg and here she was again, in the same ward but this time, a bandage wrapped around her chest. At least this time, she wouldn’t have to be hospitalized for too long.

 

The agent was not upset when none of her members visited her. Things were hectic at the office. Just a few days ago, Hayoung surprised her by coming over only to interrogate her with a couple questions.

 

“So you’re saying that Choi Seunghyun caught the bullet with his own hands?” The youngest asked again, scribbling notes down her book.

 

“Not bare hands. He was wearing some kind of glove. In fact, if I remember clearly, he was dressed in some strange armor.”

 

“Do you remember what it looked like? Any features?”

 

“I…don’t. Sorry Hayoung, my memory is a little blurry.”

 

The girl sighed, closing her notebook but soon smiled. “It’s okay. I don’t want to push you unnie, but I believe that’s enough to help with the clues I have so far.”

 

“Wha, you’re leaving already?” Bomi pouted, watching Hayoung pack up as her feet quickly headed to the door.

 

“Sorry unnie! Duty calls! Maybe next time?”

 

Even so, Bomi would toss and turn in her sleep. All on her mind was Chorong. She had hoped that the leader wasn’t overworking herself again. Knowing her, she would carry all the burden and responsibilities without asking for help. Although Bomi was dumb at times, but she is observant.

 

“This has to be it!”

 

Hayoung triumphed with a laugh, letting go of her white chalk, her legs finally giving way as she kneeled onto the wooden floor, looking up at her masterpiece.

 

Just weeks ago, the girl had mustered her courage to knock on Mr. Lee’s office and request for a room. Just one, big empty room with a massive blackboard. The man did not question the girl’s motives and instead, appeared quite intrigued in the girl’s ideas. Like a doting father, he gave her what she wanted and Hayoung spent days and nights, sketching and scribbling all over the board.

 

Once a clean, untouched board, it was now filled with mathematical equations, drawings, codes and graphs. One look and anyone would arch their eyebrows in confusion, unable to interpret the details.

 

A language that only Oh Hayoung understands.

 

“…so what Choi Seunghyun has done is, he has constructed power armor. Charged by electromagnetic, bullets can’t harm him. Therefore, we need to disable his automatic magnetic field that acts like a shield. What destroys a magnet? Heat. Yes, perhaps throwing a bunch of grenades would work but because he will be at London, a public place where lots of innocent civilians are gathered, it would certainly not be a good solution. And that’s why- “  Hayoung caught her breath, excitement escaping as she moved to the other side of her board, explaining to The Secret Service members.

 

She tapped hard onto a sketched design on the board. “We are going to create a new weapon.” She announced.

 

“If Choi Seunghyun has a power armor to protect him then, we have the power gun to defeat him.” The girl smirked, hurriedly taking out a box and placing it on the table. “It is still in the early stages of production but I believe that I can produce it within three months.” She said with confidence, taking out a rather, normal looking pistol and then a set of thick, round bullets. “The gun design does not matter, but the bullet does. Inside this bullet comes packed with gunpowder that explodes on impact, causing heat damage to his armor and- “

 

“Hayoung.” Mr. Lee cleared his throat, knowing that the girl is indeed very excited to explain her findings but he just needed her to go straight to the point. “Can you get this weapon up in three months, before the conference?”

 

“Y-Yes. Of course, sir!”

 

“Good.” He sat up from his seat. “I will provide you all the resources you need. The future of The Secret Service, lies in your hands, Hayoung. I wish you luck.” He smiled.

 

While Hayoung was elated that her boss is quite satisfied with her work, the 5-second happiness was immediately replaced by the heavy burden and responsibility.

 

At least, she does not need to sacrifice her life unlike her members. Only sleep and hunger.

 

 

---

 

 

Removing the bandages and making sure that the scar on her chest was now healed, Bomi stretched and groaned, crashing herself onto her comfy bed.

 

Here she was, home sweet home.

 

The agent was surprised when her mother did not question her disappearance. It seemed like she already knew that her daughter followed the steps of her father. Even though she was told that her father had died in a car accident, it turns out that it was all a cover up. The truth was his father was killed in action while on a mission, facing the same fate as Namjoo’s father.

 

Bomi was given three days to recuperate.

 

Not wanting to disturb her busy members at the office, the girl headed back to her hometown in Suwon, embracing the memories of her childhood as she would stroll along the streets, watching young children play catch and old grannies grumble over the smallest things like the weather.

 

Taking a step back from all the bloodshed she has seen, it was indeed a nice change of scenery. Sitting down on a bench outside a quaint convenience store, the girl was munching onto her favourite red bean paste filled bread. A classic from her childhood.

 

“Is that nice?”

 

Her ears perked at the familiar voice, quickly turning her head around to see the person she wanted to see the most. Chorong.

 

“Totally! Have a bite, unnie!”

 

To Bomi’s surprise, her leader leaned forward and tore a small piece apart, munching as she sat down beside. Dressed comfortably in a white blouse and shorts, it was certainly a look that the girl was not used to seeing. And it was making her heart pound, hard.

 

“What are you doing here?”

 

“Just checking up on my member and making sure she isn’t dead.” Chorong chuckled.

 

“Well, she doesn’t die that easily you know?” The girl smiled.

 

Silence followed as the two stared at the clear blue skies. Suwon was indeed a peaceful town unlike the bustling, noisy city of Seoul. It had a calm atmosphere, everything around her slowed down.

 

“Hey unnie, can I ask you a question?”

 

“Go ahead.”

 

“Why…did you reject me?”

 

Chorong flinched at the question, looking down as she sighed. She knew at some point; the girl would pursue ahead no matter how uncomfortable she felt. But the leader felt that Bomi had the right to know.

 

A family does not hide secrets from one another.

 

“It’s because I used to like someone.”

 

“Used to?” Bomi wanted to take those words as a sign of hope.

 

“And I felt that I was sinning because I was tearing her happiness apart for my own selfish needs.” Chorong turned to look at Bomi who was listening intently to her words.

 

“She brought me a lot of trouble, a lot of headaches but no matter how much she annoyed me, she was like the sun that kept shining.” She looked down. “But, the sun was too strong for me to take. She found her moon and that…was not me.”

 

“U-unnie…”

 

“That’s right.” Chorong smiled sadly. “That person is Jung Eunji.”

 

“…”

 

“But that’s all in the past now.” The leader smiled.

 

“Wha- “

 

“Because in those times of sorrow, someone else replaced the sun and its warmth, showing me what true love is like. She was so similar to Eunji in so many ways, I couldn’t believe it. But she was different. A different sun who showed compassion, perseverance and kindness. She opened my eyes to the world that the grass is greener on the other side. She proved me wrong. That person…”

 

Chorong gently poked her finger into Bomi’s chest. “Is you.”

 

Immediately, the edges of Bomi’s lips turned upwards. She was grinning from ear-to-ear, her face could no longer hide the happiness that was overflowing her entire body.

 

“Are you confessing to me?” She asked in a pitched tone, clearly excited as her heart thumped even louder.

 

“I…wanted to give you a chance and open my heart for once…after all…I never got to tell Eunji my feelings. I was too much of a coward so- “

 

Her words were silenced by a wet peck on her lips.

 

“Don’t talk about Eunji. Talk about me.” Bomi leaned back as she pouted.

 

“From today onwards, it will only be us. Thank you Bomi…for never giving up on me.” Chorong said, pressing her lips back onto Bomi’s as she could taste a hint of the red bean paste that the girl ate, nothing but savoury and sweet.

 

---

 

“I’m so tired!”

 

Eunji whined like a child, collapsing herself onto her bed, burying her head into the white sheets. She had missed coming home. The constant travelling back and forth has exhausted the hot-headed completely. Struggling with jetlag and time zone differences, at long last, she can finally rest in ease.

 

A month in, and the island has been marked a free zone, it’s territory taken over by the Italian government as The Secret Service reassured that The Blue Nation will not lay a finger on the land anymore.

 

All she wanted to do now is spend her time with her girlfriend.

 

Sure, she was always by her side but it was only for work purposes. There was no time to flirt, steal kisses in between or give her encouragement. At least now, she could do whatever she wanted.

 

Watching Naeun comb her hair through the rather transparent glass wall that separated the bedroom and the bathroom, she couldn’t help but to admire the beautiful, well-molded shape of her girlfriend. Her slender shoulders, curvy waist, structured legs, a perfect piece of drawing come to life.

 

It never failed to make her heart pound excitedly.

 

“Stealing looks at me again?”

 

Naeun said in an unamused tone, as if it was normal for Eunji to always stare at her with such lustful eyes.

 

“Of course.”

 

Naeun headed into the bedroom, taking her phone and settled in bed, completely ignoring her girlfriend as her back faced her. Checking the messages, the girl kept note of her schedule tomorrow and the number of meetings she had to attend. Preparations for the conference is underway and The Secret Service wanted it to be perfect.

 

“Hey babe, home is to rest. Not for work.” Eunji cooed from behind, gently straddling her legs around Naeun’s ant-sized waist, tucking her head comfortably in between her neck as she took a whiff of her rose-scented hair, planting a wet peck onto her swollen cheek.

 

“Mm..you’re right…” The girl hummed with a sigh in between, placing her phone onto the night stand.

 

Just by the tone, Eunji could already tell that her girlfriend was under a lot of stress. Sure, she was too but nothing would hurt more than watching her other half in pain. “Relax. I’m here.”

 

Her voice was all she needed to feel in peace.

 

Her warm sun.

 

“Naeun-ah.”

 

“Mm?”

 

She could feel Eunji’s strong arms embracing her with much caution, afraid that she might break her. The gentle brush of her lips caressing against the slope of her neck, it tickled a little, causing a quiet giggle to escape . It was her girlfriend’s way of showering her with utmost affection.

 

“I’m really proud of you.” The girl smiled. “What you did with Lisa, was nothing but an act of bravery. Solely handling the situation all by yourself when I was not capable, you certainly made an impression on the seniors.”

 

Eunji gently pulled her into the sheets, pinning her on top as she gazed into her mesmerizing black orbs that were her universe. “For that, I hereby grant you a reward for being such a brave girlfriend you are.”

 

“And what is that?” Naeun giggled, somewhat having an idea of what her girlfriend had in mind, stretching her arms around Eunji’s neck as she gazed softly into hers.

 

Arching her back slightly, Eunji cupped Naeun’s cheek into her hands and latched onto her lips gently, providing soft kisses and les, almost causing a small moan from her girlfriend.

 

The agent was simply overflowing with pride for her girlfriend. And being the one in the relationship who would give, Naeun was indeed the lucky one who took the receiving end.

 

“Are you ready babe?” She leaned back, taking a breath of air and making sure that her girlfriend was okay, always asking for consent despite having dated for years.

 

Naeun giggled, her fingers tracing the back of Eunji’s shirt as her knees automatically snuggled itself around her waist. “What can I expect from you today, Miss Jung?”

 

“Hmmm…” She hummed, her eyes twinkling with lust. “The ride of your life?”

 

---

 

 

For three months, Hayoung worked tirelessly.

 

Taeyeon had assigned Namjoo to care for the busy youngest, who also had to lead a small team of workers that helped to construct the power weapon.

 

Aware of how stubborn she was, the agent had to force the girl to at least eat and take a break on alternative hours. At times, worries would irritate her thoughts, thinking of the worst possible scenario; Hayoung fainting from exhaustion.

 

“Hey, you okay?”

 

Namjoo caught hold of Hayoung who staggered all of sudden. The girl held tightly onto her shoulder, wincing at the headache she was experiencing but she maintained a smile, reassuring her member that she was alright. But little does Hayoung know that Namjoo could see through all her lies. She was the only one who could read her completely like an open book.

 

“Take this.”

 

She handed a cup of water and a sealed packet of Ibuprofen, pills meant to cure migraines. The youngest took one glance at Namjoo whose eyes were full of concern.

 

“Thank you.” She smiled, swallowing the pills as she gulped it down with a mouthful of water, before twirling her chair back to the laptop, typing a report that she had to hand in weekly, providing updates and work progress to Mr. Lee.

 

While her attention was focused on work, a small part of her heart felt warm because of Namjoo. She was always there, watching quietly from the side. Hayoung was thankful and often wondered how to repay her kind gestures back.

 

“The conference is happening in a week but do not worry,” The girl, now dressed in a suit, striding with confident steps as she pulled off the cloth, concealing the identity of her finished product. “The power gun is complete. Certified and tested.”

 

The Secret Service members, including the presence of Mr. Lee applauded as they witnessed Hayoung providing a demonstration, the strength of such a weapon has indeed raised confidence that Choi Seunghyun will be defeated.

 

It has brought hope and restored the morale of the organization, as they could now proceed the plans accordingly.

 

This would be a large scale operation, a mission consisting of The Secret Service’s best, well-abled agents as the day of the world conference approaches.

 

Their next destination, London.

 

 

--

 

A/N: Time for the final battle! You may have noticed the small hints of Chorong's harboring feelings for Eunji in the earlier chapters, and our leader has finally decided to let go and begin a fresh start, with Bomi ^^