betrayal of your own

The Secret Service

Gunfire ensued in the quiet mountains of Yakutsk. Hiding behind large crates as bullets grazed the edges, Chorong and Eunji showed great teamwork as they covered for each other. They stormed their way into the warehouse step by step.

 

“Good morning!” Eunji yelled as she leaped across a crate, kicking one of the enemies towards the ground and stabbing a poison pen straight into his throat before continuing onwards. Chorong followed after, shooting a couple of men along her way before the two took cover again.

 

For the experienced Secret Service agents who have worked long enough in the field, 15 men were nothing. In no time, the two cleared the area as they entered the warehouse safely. Eunji stole one of the keys from the bodies and entered the small office on the second floor where documents were scattered everywhere. Chorong on the other hand, read and scanned the papers, realizing that they were all profiles of The Secret Service agents. It included all regions.

 

“Someone is working as a spy.” The leader said.

 

“So you’re saying the person who killed Yookyung, is one of us?”

 

“I suppose so. The stamp here reads…The Blue Nation.”

 

“Blue Nation. Weren’t they the ones responsible for the nuclear weapon exploits and massacres they did?”

 

“Guess they had more plans. We need to inform headquarters immediately.”

 

“Well, you can leave. I’m not going till I kill every single one of these Blue Nation bastards. One of them killed Yookyung.”

 

Chorong sighed. “Suit yourself.”

 

But just as she was about to leave, the window smashed open as bullets flew through, causing Chorong and Eunji to take cover. Peeking through, a group of men were marching their way in.

 

“Dammit! It’s an ambush!” Eunji cussed as she reloaded her rifle. “They knew that we were coming!”

 

Chorong counted them. “60…70…80…There’s too many of them!”

 

“Hah, numbers don’t scare me.” Eunji’s rifle clicked. “Imma kill every single one of them.” The agent was fearless even when death was right in front of her.

 

 

---

 

 

“We were almost killed!” Amber exasperated, her whole team drenched as they managed to escape their seemingly “flooding” dorm room.

 

“Danger is always around you.” Naeun said calmly as if it was a normal reaction to hear. “That’s why you must be ready at all time. Now then, why don’t you six get changed and head down to the canteen? There will be another test awaiting you so it would be best to get your bellies filled.” She explained before walking away.

 

Bomi and her team members looked at each other, but soon laughed in relief. They exchanged high-fives and celebrated their victory together. Their first test, bonded them closer.

 

“I wonder what happened if we fail…” Taeyong pondered, quietly eating a sandwich.

 

“Then, we won’t qualify as Secret Service agents. Simple as that. This ain’t no kindergarten class.” Matthew said coolly, chugging down a glass of coke.

 

“I wonder what else is in store for us?” Amber pondered as the team were engaged in a conversation.

 

“You had pretty good eyes spotting that vent earlier. None of us saw that.” Nana said, praising Bomi.

 

“Well, in situations like that, we have to be calm. Otherwise, we won’t be able to think properly.” The girl shrugged, enjoying her meal. Bomi in fact, was enjoying every single moment so far. She loved the adrenaline and anticipated the next challenge.

 

After the break, the team were led into a large boxing ring as they were greeted by another instructor, Choi Minho.

 

“Hey, where did Naeun go?” Bomi asked, somewhat disappointed that she couldn’t see the beauty anymore.

 

“Naeun had an emergency to attend to. I will be taking over for the time being.” Minho explained as he walked over to the boxing ring. “The next challenge as you can see here, will be a hand-to-hand combat competition.”

 

The members looked at each other, hesitant that they now have to fight each other after showcasing teamwork earlier. But a test is a test.

 

“Let’s not waste any time.” Minho pressed a button, causing the LED screen to lit up as the names of the members were randomized. It soon came to a halt, listing the results of the first competitors.

 

“Yoon Bomi and Amber Liu, please step into the ring.”

 

 

---

 

 

Hayoung coughed, trapped under a shelf, the weight of the books suffocating her. The laboratory was burning in flames and smoke was everywhere. The girl used all of her remaining energy to free herself, but it was to no avail. She blamed her fat fingers that were only useful in typing fast.

 

“Namjoo unnie? Namjoo, are you there?!”

 

She shouted, but there was no response. But Hayoung knew that she had to save herself first. With her blurry vision, she needed to find her glasses first. This before her own life.

 

Flapping her arms around the floor, she managed to find it. Lucky.

 

Despite the dust and grim all over her lenses, it was better to at least see things clearer. Above her, the ceiling could collapse any moment. Small pieces of hardened cement trickled along her face as she could hear the faint steps of someone walking along the hallway outside.

 

“Namjoo unnie?! Is that you?!”

 

A figure entered, but it was not whom she had expected. A tall, muscular man aimed a gun at her, his face covered by a black mask.

 

It was the end of her world.

 

Hayoung closed her eyes shut, ready for her death. Thoughts filling her head, wondering if she would meet Yookyung in heaven now.

 

But instead, the man yelped in pain. The girl opened her eyes, watching Namjoo stabbing the man from behind with a poison pen, causing him to paralyze and collapse.

 

“Let’s get you out of here!” Namjoo said, running towards her member as she easily lifted the shelf over, freeing Hayoung.

 

“I thought you were dead!” Hayoung hugged her, only to notice the cuts and bruises on her face. It seemed that Namjoo put up quite a battle before returning to rescue her.

 

“The building is going to collapse any moment. We need to get out of here fast, but there could be more enemies coming in.” Namjoo explained, looking into her eyes.

 

“Alright.” The girl staggered as she went to her ruined desk and took a yellow USB drive, tucking deeply into her pants.

 

“I am not going to touch that USB next time.”

 

“Please, it’s not what you’re thinking.”

 

Following Namjoo’s lead, Hayoung remembered her training from the Secret Service and carefully walked through the burning hallway.

 

Although a Secret Service agent, Hayoung was a special case.

 

She was not a born-talented fighter, or a good marksman. However, her strongest traits were her high intelligence. The organization made use and brood her skills in science and technology, turning Hayoung into a huge asset to the organization. Growing up, she has helped to produce various tools and gadgets that have far exceeded everyone’s expections.

 

But among the Seoul team, she is easily regarded as the weakest. While she is the youngest, Hayoung keeps up with the name by having to be “babied” by the members. Unable to protect herself, she lacked endurance, strength and many qualities of a Secret Service agent. If it wasn’t for her intelligence, she would’ve been kicked out of the organization ages ago.  

 

“Take cover!” Namjoo shouted as a bullet flew across, creasing the edges of the wall, that they were sheltering from. All it took was one peek, two shots and bodies fell to the floor. Not a single miss.

 

Among the team, Namjoo is the team’s best marksman. Earning full points in shooting classes during her training, she has earned herself quite a name and has never missed a shot. Her favourite weapon is no doubt, the sniper rifle.

 

“Damn. You’re good, unnie.” Hayoung hummed in amusement.

 

“Save the compliments for later.”

 

The two dashed into the lobby, quickly taking cover behind the pillars as they were ambushed by another group of men. This time, there were far too many to take as they charged in.

 

“I guess this is the end huh?” Namjoo sighed, dropping her gun in surrender as she looked at Hayoung with sad eyes.

 

The two ran and hid behind the counter as bullets tried to pierce through their only shield.

 

“It’s game over for us, unnie.” Hayoung held tightly onto her hand as the two agents closed their eyes in a prayer.

 

A grenade rolled in front of them, signaling the moment of their death. But instead of an explosion, black smoke filled the lobby.

 

 

 

---

 

 

 

Bang! Bang! Bang!

 

A symphony of bullets awoke the snowy warehouse.

 

Eunji kept pushing through the army of men as she did not give up. Chorong followed along and did her best in covering her partner, knowing how reckless she is. But based on the leader’s judgment, it would be better to surrender in this situation. It was better to become hostages than to die.

 

They were surrounded and outnumbered.

 

Hiding behind another crate as it acted as shield against a parade of bullets, Chorong made a decision and dropped her rifle.

 

“What the hell are you doing?!” Eunji whispered loudly, eyes widened.

 

“It is the only way. Trust me. Otherwise, we will all get killed.” Chorong shot a glare at her.

 

“Dammit.” The hot-headed agent, “surprisingly” listened to her leader this time and dropped hers as well.

 

The two came out of their crate, hands raised up high in surrender. With that, the firing stopped as the men put their guns down and made way for their leader who walked towards the duo.

 

“It is indeed a wise decision of you to surrender instead of battling it out. As expected, I made the right choice in making you the leader.” A man chuckled, his face looking familiar. The stubble under his chin and wrinkles on his face, it was unimaginable.

 

“Mr. Son?!”

 

The person in front of the two agents was in fact their very own boss and chief of The Secret Service.

 

“W-Why are you doing this?” Chorong stuttered in shock.

 

“That’s why I told you and your team to take a 2-day break off. Otherwise, this would never have to happen. Sad case isn’t it?” Mr. Son shook his head. “You had the chance to escape but chose death instead.

 

“So you’re the spy?! The spy that Yookyung was searching for?!” Eunji shouted in fury, feeling betrayed.

 

“Well, I was the one who eliminated her. She was this close to exposing my secret, but alas it was a second too late. But she’s smarter than I thought. It wouldn’t take long before the word spreads and your smart member to decode the message she sent.” He smirked. “But that doesn’t matter anymore. In a matter of time, all of the agents in the Secret Secret will be hunted down like running mice trapped with nowhere to run.”

 

“Even your own daughter?” Eunji asked furiously, causing him to flinch. “You’re willing to kill Son Naeun?” She arched her eyebrows in suspicion.

 

The man remained calm. “She will be the last. Naeun is a good girl, she listens to me and I am sure she will join me in this exciting massacre of The Secret Service, with me.” The man remained calm.

 

“Bull.”

 

“Eunji, Mr. Son is not being himself.” Chorong whispered. “Look at his eyes, it’s red. His hands are trembling and his voice sounds shaky. They must’ve drugged him into doing this. You know Mr. Son better.”

 

“.” Eunji exasperated. Her leader did make sense. As much as they were unable to cope with the sudden betrayal that hurt them painfully, they held onto the tiny hope that there was someone else behind the strings.

 

“Well, that’s enough. Are you girls ready for your death?” Mr. Son raised his hands, signaling his men to point their guns at the agents.

 

 

---

 

 

Bomi groaned as she was punched straight in the face, she was surprised at Amber’s capabilities but that did not stop her from pushing. Her face was all bruised up as she spitted some blood, smiling with satisfaction.

 

“Keep it coming! I’m not done yet!” Bomi yelled with energy as she staggered, throwing another punch over which Amber easily dodged. She threw an elbow jab, causing Bomi to spit saliva and fall to her knees. Despite being beaten up several times by Amber, Bomi continued to stand, never giving up.

 

It was her perseverance that amazed the members who watched the fight.

 

“You’re really amazing Bomi.” Amber said, her guard up as she carefully watched Bomi.

 

“Thanks. But I’m going to have to beat you no matter what.”

 

“I have all day. Come at me.”

 

The girl had an idea.

 

Although it was going to hurt a lot, it was the only way.

 

Bomi charged forward, catching hold of Amber’s wrists. Trying to free herself from Bomi’s tight grip as she threw kicks at her, the girl withstood all the pain. Instead, Amber was taken by surprise as Bomi leaned her head backwards and slammed it hard. Like a metal baseball ball hitting her skull, Amber fell back and let her guard down.

 

Bomi took the advantage, pinning Amber to the ground as she threw punches left and right. Both opponents were bleeding from their head, they were gasping for air and for Amber, she was slowly losing her conscious.

 

Only a little more, and Bomi will win this round. But the girl looked at her friend all battered up. She didn’t want to kill her.

Although she loved to fight, she was fighting for the wrong reason. She could not see a reason to kill her own friend. Besides, she was too exhausted to continue the rest of the fight. Even if Amber had miraculously survived, Bomi would not be able to take the next punches. So, the girl raised her fist in the air as she breathed.

 

“I surrender.” Bomi said, sparing Amber’s life. This surprised the members who watched.

 

The bell rung, signaling the end of the first round. Medics came on board to take Amber into the medical room as Minho came up to Bomi with an impressed smile.

 

“Well done Bomi.” He clapped. “You passed your second test.”

 

“Wait, what?” Bomi’s eyebrows frowned in confusion. “Sorry, I must’ve heard that wrongly. I slammed my head really hard you see…” She was staggering, struggling to stand upright.

 

“This test was to examine your selflessness. You spared the life of your teammate and chose defeat. One should never be blinded by the greed to be number one. There are times when we must admit defeat, for the sake of others. I hope this will be a good lesson for not just you, but everyone to take note of.” Minho explained as he signaled the medics to help Bomi who was about to fall to her knees.

 

 

---

 

 

Black smoke filled the lobby of the Seoul headquarters building as Namjoo and Hayoung were dragged into the pantry by two unknown people. Shots could be heard in the lobby as the enemies groaned in pain.

 

“Sooyoungie?!” Hayoung gasped, relieved to see a familiar face.

 

“Wow, look at you. You look like .” Sooyoung scoffed before turning into a smile, taking off her helmet, revealing her face. “Don’t worry, my team’s here to get you out.”

 

“You have no idea how fast she drove the motorcycle over. It was really hard to catch up,” Seulgi said, taking her helmet out as well, allowing her long hair to flow freely.

 

“Thanks for saving us.” Namjoo said as Seulgi helped her to stand to her feet.

 

“No problem. The SWAT team are already holding their place outside. You’re lucky that your leader kept that tracker switched on otherwise we wouldn’t have known that you guys were in danger.” Seulgi explained. “Irene unnie was really quick. She sent us straight to duty. You should thank her instead.”

 

“There’s a lot of things happening right now but we’ll explain that later. Let’s go. You guys are in pretty bad shape.” Sooyoung said as she helped Hayoung to walk.

 

The four of them busted through a small opening of the pantry, away from the gunfight between the SWAT team and the enemies.

 

Finally breathing in the fresh air of outside, Namjoo and Hayoung took one last look at their burning headquarters. Memories flashed quickly in their mind as it was not just a place to report on their missions, but it was the place that they bonded with their team members. Like their second home, there was a sense of bitter and regret filling their heart.

 

“You think Eunji unnie is going to be mad cause they destroyed her favourite boxing ring?” Hayoung asked, making a joke in the midst of the situation.

 

“Well, I think I can already hear Chorong unnie sighing from afar.” Namjoo chuckled.

 

Hopping onto the motorcycles that Sooyoung and Seulgi came in, the agents were now on their way to the Daegu headquarters.

 

Unsure of the whereabouts of their other members, the two hoped that everyone is alive and well.

 

 

---

 

 

 

With guns pointed directly at the two agents, Chorong and Eunji were ready to accept their death. Hearing the sound of the guns clicking away, the two looked at each other, wondering if there was a plan to escape. But Chorong reassured Eunji with a smile.

 

An explosion could be heard outside the warehouse, trucks tumbling over and men flying across from impact. SWAT members surrounded the building as helicopters and vans filled the area.

 

“Checkmate.” Chorong said, as she took the rifle on the ground and aimed it at Mr. Son who was now the one raising his hands in surrender.

 

The leader didn’t come alone.

 

Long before she came here, the leader requested backup the moment she found the warehouse and spotted the cave that Eunji was hiding in. It was all a perfect plan in disguise.

 

“I should’ve known better.” Mr. Son looked at all his men admitting defeat as the SWAT team took over. “But I should kill you first- “The man quickly took out a handgun straped to his belt, aiming directly at Chorong.

 

But before he could pull the trigger, someone was quicker.

 

A bullet shot through his chest, blood splashing across as he fell to his knees. He turned around, smiling at who his killer was. It was none other than his own precious daughter, Naeun.

 

“Why…did you have to do this…father?” Naeun said as her hands trembled.

 

“For a better world Naeun.” He smiled. “The Secret Service no longer needs to exist as long as The Blue Nation lives.” Mr. Son said, gathering his remaining strength. “I am doing all of this, for you. Don’t you know that…? My beautiful…daughter…” He breathed, attempting to crawl to his daughter but soon, collapsed to his death.

 

The distraught daughter dropped her handgun, emotionally hurt and scarred that she had to kill her own father like that. His death, his betrayal, it was all too much to take.

 

Immediately, Eunji ran to Naeun and pulled her into embrace. The girl sobbed in her arms, mourning her father’s death.

 

“Good work” Chorong exchanged a handshake with the SWAT team leader, Lee Changsub. There were many times the two had worked together for several missions.

 

“No big deal. You should thank your teammate. Otherwise, you would’ve taken a bad blow.” Changsub signalled his men to take over Mr. Son’s accomplices.

 

The situation remains complicated as the mystery continues. It will take The Secret Service time to recuperate from their losses and investigate further on The Blue Nation. Their motives remain unknown, as the betrayal of their own leader will take a big emotional toll on their members.

 

 

--

 

A/N: Just who is the Blue Nation, and will there be more "spies" besides their own leader? Hmm...