seeking trouble

The Secret Service

Tree groves scattered across the land, climbing on top onto each other as animals took refuge of its towering height. The giggles of monkeys and whistling of exotic birds singing in harmony as four girls pushed their way through the jungle of Sumatra. Equipped with weapons, heavy backpacks, boots and buckles, the Secret Service agents were certainly prepared.

 

“Is it legal to kill animals here?” Sooyoung asked, wondering if a random monkey would pop out and attack them.

 

“No. Try your best not to shoot anything. It would save Irene unnie a lot of trouble.” Seulgi sighed as she climbed over a giant root.

 

“We’re only halfway through. This plant often nests deep where water and land meet.” Hayoung went through her notes, occasionally used it to swat away mosquitos and other flying insects.

 

“Just be careful of slippery mud and land erosions.” Namjoo breathed, her turn to climb over.

 

But there were much more challenges up ahead.

 

Once the team climbed over, there was a large gap in between the path. Due to soil erosion, the middle road had collapsed halfway, revealing a secret underground cave. This had left the members no choice but to take a big leap across otherwise they would fall to their deaths, hitting their heads onto rocks below.

 

Everyone seemed to jump through smoothly, Hayoung being the last one.

 

“I’m not good at this stuff!” The girl explained nervously as she wasn’t the athletic type.

 

“Just jump! I’ll catch you!” Namjoo shouted.

 

“Dammit, fine!” Hayoung took a couple steps back, held her breath as she ran, taking one jump forward. But her boot slipped onto the mud, causing her to arch backwards.

 

“Whoa!”Almost falling to her death, she reached her hands out and Namjoo managed to catch hold of her in that split second.

 

“Gotcha!” Namjoo caught hold of her in that split second, gritting her teeth and pulling the girl up from the muddy ledge. “Gosh, you’re heavy!”

 

“Excuse me?!”

 

“Guys, be quiet for a moment!” Seulgi hushed, everyone turning silent as they carefully listened. In a distance, they could hear a troop of orang utans nearby, cuckooing and cackling. Crawling along the path, they camouflaged themselves among nature and took a peek below the cave opening. It turns out that their shelter, was filled with abundance of the rare plant, Esophesis.

 

“Great. Monkeys. What now?” Sooyoung rolled her eyes, taking out her rifle as she planned on taking them out. But Seulgi held onto her weapon and shook her head.

 

“Orang utans don’t attack people right?” Namjoo asked. “I mean we can just climb down and ask if we can borrow the plant. They look friendly…”

 

“Yeah, sure. Try doing that.” Hayoung scoffed, immediately rejecting her idea. The girl analyzed the situation carefully. She tried to think of various strategies. As the leader for the first time, she was pressured to do a good job.

 

“Sooyoung, what are you doing?!” Seulgi whispered, watching the girl carefully climbing down and approaching the troop of orang utans who were in their own habitat.

 

“What the hell is she doing?!” Hayoung exasperated, following Sooyoung down. “Look, I know you like animals and all, but this is dangerous.”

 

“Please, I know what I’m doing.” Sooyoung whispered as she crouched, carefully moving nearer to the orang utans and where the plants were.

 

Watching anxiously from above, Namjoo and Seulgi kept watch and readied their weapons in case anything happens. Looking through her scope, Namjoo noticed that there was something else besides a troop of orang utans. A snake slithering across, slowly approaching the two girls who were too focused on obtaining the plant.

 

Conflicted, Namjoo had no other choice. “I’m sorry guys.” She mumbled.

 

There were really close to reaching the plant. Sooyoung managed to sneak past a sleeping orang utan and while it’s loud breathing gave the two anxiety, the girl stretched her arms over and caught hold of Esophesis. But the moment Sooyoung pulled it out of it’s roots, a gun shot echoed the jungle.

 

Immediately, the orang utan that was sleeping in front of Sooyoung opened its eyes. Grumbling awake as it took a breath, the animal stared at the girl.

 

“Run!!!” Hayoung shouted.

 

 

---

 

 

 

Haeundae Beach, Busan.

 

It had been a couple days since Eunji escaped Seoul and wandered aimlessly in her hometown. Using whatever she had left in her wallet, she booked a hotel room for a week and drank the days away.

 

Trying to sober up in the morning, she jogged around the beach, doing her daily workout as she did push-ups, stretches and high kicks. But every time, she is reminded of Chorong’s words and the choices she gave her. It only made her blood boil.

 

Frustrated, she kicked against the sand and sat down angrily. Watching the sunrise as it fitted perfectly with the ocean like a puzzle, Eunji was torn between the choices she had to make.

 

“Break up with Naeun or leave the Secret Service, Eunji.”

 

It was cruel.

 

But Eunji couldn’t hate Chorong for doing this. This was because she saved her life once.

 

She still remembered the day Chorong took a bullet for her during a mission and almost died from her wounds. It was still vividly horrifying, witnessing her blood gush out and staining her hands as she held onto her leader tightly.

 

Since then, Eunji had a lot of respect for her leader, for she is willing to sacrifice her own life for her own members. While her choices made sense, it frustrated her because all she could do was be a coward and run away from her problems. She didn’t even give a chance for her girlfriend to say anything. There were just so many voices in her head, asking her to do this and that.

 

She needed a moment of peace. Even for a little while, she needed time to think.

 

But time isn’t endless.

 

Eventually she would have to make a decision. A choice that would affect her life forever.

 

Walking back to her hotel room, she opened the door only to quickly dodge a punch that surprised her all of a sudden. Skilled in situations like this, Eunji easily pinned the suspect against the wall but grew confused at who it was.

 

“Bomi?”

 

“What’s up?” The girl greeted with a chuckle, coughing halfway because Eunji was about to choke her.

 

“The hell do you want? Did Chorong ordered you to come pick me up?” The girl released her grip.

 

“No. I came here on my own accord to teach you a lesson.”

 

“Huh? You? Really?” Eunji arched her eyebrow, unamused. “Look, I don’t have time for your nonsense. Why don’t you just go back to the office and train?”

 

“No.” Bomi said as she prepared herself, knowing that what she is about to do, will definitely result in a brawl.

 

“Naeun told me everything. You broke her heart and now I have to clean up your mess. She cried the whole night when you left and guess who was there to be there, and comfort her sorrow? Me!” The girl continued, staring right down into Eunji’s eyes. “You’re a coward, hurting someone whom you love so much. She doesn’t deserve someone like you. It would be better off if Naeun dated someone else. Someone like me- “

 

“Shut up!” Eunji scowled, throwing a punch at Bomi which she dodged.

 

The girl smirked, it seems like her plan worked. “Come at me, I have all day. Naeun taught me some neat tricks to beat you and clear that fire-headed mind of yours.” She said, clutching her fists together.

 

 

---

 

 

Morocco, Rabat.

 

In the midst of a bustling market where people banter in Arabian and Spanish, a lady walked past the crowd as her eyes were scanning for something. Wearing a simple white tank top, jeans and a bag sling across her torso, she was melting under the hot weather.

 

Continuing her journey in, she reached the center attraction of the district; The Church of Hope. Built beautifully with gemstones of turquoise emerald, ruby reds and alluring amethysts, a sliver cross statue stood tall, representing Christianity. As her feet touched the warm wood flooring, she blended in the crowd.

 

Pretending to be one of the worshippers, she would take a seat at one of the benches and clasped her hands together. But her eyes were always looking about. Midway through the prayer, she noticed a priest walking off. His wrist wore a rosary bracelet yet hiding under was an odd tattoo. One that bore similar design to the crest of the Blue Nation.

 

Quietly, she left her seat and followed the man as he walked to the basement of the church. Instinctively, the lady secretly took out her handgun strapped behind her belt, cautious as it could be a trap like last time.

 

But luckily, it turns out that the priest had no idea that she was following him. As he turned around, the lady quickly smacked his leg with the barrel of her gun, causing him to fall to his knees. But his yelp was silenced as the lady covered his mouth. Without a single word, Chorong took out the sleeve, revealing the symbol of Blue Nation.

 

“Speak.” She said, threatening to blow his head off.

 

“Alright, alright! I’ll tell you everything I know about them! Just let me live! I have a family to feed!” The priest pleaded.

 

After receiving the information, the lady knew that it was not wise to let the man walk freely. In turn, she knocked him out by hitting the back of his head. She has done this many times that she could no longer feel a sense of pity for him.

 

With quick steps, she escaped the church and blended back into the crowd, rushing to return to her hotel and send intel to Mr. Lee. He sent her on a private mission to scout for Casablanca Tradings in Morroco, heeding with caution. But the couple of days have proven that it is a fairly innocent trading company with no relations to the Blue Nation, except for a couple of moles among the workers. One of them turned out to be disguising as a priest, often sneaking in information and secret deals of his company to the organization.

 

Now that Chorong has access to the exclusive information of the Blue Nation, it was a battle against time. Yet based on experience, secret missions like these do not end well.

 

Working in a field like this, her life is always on the line.

 

From the corner of her eyes, she could spot suspicious men following her, squeezing into the crowd as they tried to reach her. Chorong pushed her way through, moving out to the open, wide road as vehicles passed by. The city was built like a maze, making it difficult to tell which was the right path.

 

Once the lady turned corners and walked out into the street where there were lesser people, she looked left and right before crossing. The coast is clear. Just a little more. But her ears perked at the faint roar of a truck engine. It happened so quickly.

 

In a blink of an eye, a truck slammed right onto Chorong, causing her body to fly helplessly like a ragdoll, leaving her to bleed to death on the streets of Rabat.

 

 

---

 

 

Running with all their might, Sooyoung and Hayoung tried to escape as the angry orang utans chased after them. With Namjoo and Seulgi following them from the crossing above, they kept a close eye on them.

 

“Over there! That cave on the other side!” Seulgi shouted as she pointed over to their direction on the far right.

 

“They’re going to need to climb up the vines. We’ll help them up!” Namjoo said to which Seulgi nodded. The two sprinted to the top of the vines, calling Sooyoung and Hayoung to head over there.

 

“Are you ing kidding me?” Sooyoung exasperated, glancing at the vines that were filled with sharp thorns.

 

“Either you wanna be crushed by orang utans and be stabbed by thorns, your choice!” Hayoung said as she jumped on first, gritting her teeth at the pain as thorns dug deep into her skin.

 

“Damn, they hurt as hell!” Sooyoung shouted, following Hayoung behind.

 

But, the orang-utans were catching up, prancing onto the vines as they climbed up with ease.

 

“Catch this!” Seulgi shouted as she dropped a blade towards Sooyoung, instructing her to cut the vines off.

 

“I’ll fall when this rips apart!” Sooyoung yelled.

 

“I’ll catch you!” Hayoung shouted.

 

“You better!” Sooyoung replied as she quickly stabbed the knife through the vines, slicing it apart as the orang-utans fell back. The girl was about fall together with them when Hayoung managed to catch her. But in order to get better grip, the girl painfully crushed her own palm against the thorns.

 

Sooyoung proceeded to climb up with the help of Seulgi, as the three helped Hayoung and her wounded palm.

 

Taking shelter in the cave, a fire was quickly set and they warmed themselves up.

 

Namjoo tended to Hayoung’s wounds as silence followed.

 

“Sorry about your hand. It’s my fault.” Sooyoung said as she took out the plant that she caught earlier. “But I got it.”

 

“Apology accepted I guess.” Hayoung chuckled.

 

“I think we’re going to have to camp in here for a bit. Rain’s coming.” Seulgi said as she looked at the skies turning dark.

 

“Well, we got the plant so no worries.” Namjoo said with optimism.

 

“She’s right. All we have to do now is head back to camp. Inform base that mission is a success” Hayoung said.

 

“Got it.” Seulgi nodded as she took out her walkie-talkie.

 

Spending the night in the cave, everyone was exhausted by the events that happened. While the agents rarely had a mission in the jungle, it was also a new experience for them. Being this close to nature was a rare opportunity.

 

Rolling about and unable to sleep was the leader, Hayoung. As she stared at her bandaged palm that Namjoo patched up for her, she had a lot on her mind. It wasn’t the end yet. She still had a burden on producing the drug. She was worried that it may end up in failure and her trust would be lost.

 

“Still awake?” Namjoo asked quietly, turning around to face her.

 

“You knew huh?”

 

“Worried?”

 

“Yup.” Hayoung nodded. “Everyone has high hopes in me. If I can’t make the drug, people are going to be disappointed.”

 

“Don’t let that get to you. Worrying makes things worse. It’s better to look ahead and do your best no matter the results.”

 

“You’re right.” Hayoung smiled. “Thank you Namjoo.”

 

“Now, get some sleep.”

 

Namjoo stayed awake and waited until Hayoung dozed off.

 

Strangely, she always found herself taking care of the girl. Although she became a Secret Service agent at a young age, Namjoo couldn’t help but to worry about her. Hayoung never had a normal life like everyone else and she swore to protect her at all costs, knowing the hardships of what this world had to offer.

 

As the night grew deeper, rustles could be heard among the bushes and trees nearby the cave.

 

Seulgi woke up first, sensitive to sound as she quietly readied her gun.

 

“Guys, wake up.” She whispered, having a bad feeling. But her members were too deep in sleep to hear her.

 

The girl carefully got up and went outside.

 

But it was too late. They were quicker.

 

“Drop the gun.” The man said, aiming his gun at Seulgi before the girl could even shoot at him. Noticing the symbol on his sleeve, it was just as what she had expected.

 

The Blue Nation were here.

 

---

 

 

Glasses could be heard shattering apart, the table crushed to bits and decorative frames broken into pieces.

 

A fight broke out in Eunji’s small hotel room as the two kept exchanging fists and kicks from one corner to the other. Both parties were battered up and bruised, but they did not give up. From upper cut blows to knee kicks, rolling across the floor and throwing cups, chairs, frames at each other, there was no stopping the two.

 

“Does it look like I have a choice?!” Eunji yelled. “She gave me two choices! There was no way I could pick one!” She explained, managing to land a blow onto Bomi.

 

“Then, choose both!” The girl grunted, grabbing onto Eunji’s collar before being shoved onto the wall.

 

“You don’t understand!” She stressed, throwing a punch towards Bomi. “You don’t know what love is yet!”

 

“Oh yeah I sure do!” The girl dodged it, turning around and grabbing onto her torso. “I like someone and I know for sure, I will have to experience the same fate as you too!”

 

“It’s not the same!” She yelled, stabbing her elbow onto her abdomen so that she would be free from Bomi’s grip.

 

“It is! The person I like, is Chorong!” Bomi shouted, yelling her confession right in front of Eunji who halted momentarily, eyes wide open.

 

“…What?”

 

Noticing that Eunji let her guard down, Bomi used the chance to deliver one strong punch across her face. Taking the advantage, the girl continued punching her and later pinned her to the ground, slamming her head onto the floor.

 

With a roar, Eunji used all of her might and kicked Bomi across the room, causing her to slam onto the wall again, as both girls could no longer stand.

 

Their fight came to a stalemate.

 

Taking deep breaths as the two stared at each other, Bomi and Eunji suddenly laughed. Realizing how the room is all destroyed because of the two of them, it was just silly.

 

“We’re like kids, aren’t we?” Eunji chuckled, wiping blood off .

 

“Gosh, I’m dizzy.” Bomi said with a laugh. “I can’t believe this is the only way to make you realize your own actions.” She breathed. “Apologise to Naeun and promise that you’ll always be with her. As for the whole choices part, let me do it. I’ll talk to Chorong and make her change her mind. How about that huh? My fellow, hot-headed member? I’m doing you a favour you see?”

 

“You’re really strange, Bomi. Sometimes, I don’t know the meaning behind your actions.” Eunji said. “But it’s nice to have weird team members like you I guess.”

 

“Well, I’ll take that as a compliment.” She smiled. “I believe it would be good for us to leave for Seoul now. Naeun is worried about you.”

 

“How are we both going to leave in this condition?”

 

“Good idea. I didn’t think about this.”

 

The two team mates laughed, forming a rather unique friendship after settling their differences from a fight.

 

After receiving simple treatment from a nearby clinic, the reconciled teammates decided to take the train back to Seoul together. Patched up with plasters and bandages all over their faces and bodies, the two teased each other at how badly they looked.

 

“You look like a mummy.”

 

“You look like toilet paper.”

 

“Oh shut up!”

 

“No, you shut up!”

 

In the train, the two chatted about a lot of things.

 

It was rare for Eunji but upon realizing that they were of the same-age, it was more comfortable to talk and explain her own opinions about certain things. She was thankful for Bomi who gave her a beating. It opened her senses to things and realized that being a coward was not the right path. She needed to be brave and fight for her own love, interests and passion.

 

She was ready to face Chorong again. Rather than reaching for a physical option, she believed in fighting verbally. And certainly, she needed to make it up to her girlfriend.

 

“How’d you even know that I was here?”

 

“Oh, I looked up your records and found your hometown. Best starting point.”

 

“What?”

 

“What, what?” Bomi shrugged. “Sorry I’m dumb but I just randomly thought you might be in Busan then I saw you on the beach.” Her phone began to buzz. “Oh look, Naeun’s calling me. She’s probably wondering if I may have killed you by accident.” The girl joked, causing Eunji to nudge her elbow as she picked up the call.

 

“Yes, Naeun? Eunji’s with me. We’re on the way back to Seoul now. Why? What’s wrong?”

 

“You have to come here…quick…” Naeun said, her tone sounding weak.

 

“Yeah, we’re doing the best we can! It’s not like we can fly like superheroes or something- “

 

“Stop joking around! Chorong unnie’s- !”

 

 

A/N: Trouble in the jungle & Bomi knocking some sense into Eunji, 93-line friendship is back in line! But...our leader is.... T_T